Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread - Page 293  

post #4381 of 8735

I am currently using Telefunken ECC88 1960 Diamond bottom. 

 

Thinking maybe I will try the Amperex PQ Gold Pins next. 

 

Anything anyone here might recommend for the HiFiMan HE-500?

post #4382 of 8735

I have now listened to the Amperex Orange Globes tubes from 1969 for a couple of days and I must say they are amazing.

 

I got them from mercedesman6572 on eBay.

 

My audio chain: FLAC -> Asus Xonar Essence ST RCA -> Schiit Lyr -> Toxic Cable 10ft OCC Cryo Silver/Copper -> Audeze LCD-2

 

I am comparing them to the stock GE 6BZ7 and the JJ E88CC.

My thoughts mirror the impressions that Iamnothim wrote earlier in this thread.

 

The first impressions I had were actually quite negative. The mids seemed thin and the treble was downright harsh. I was really hoping that burning them in would improve them. I let them burn in for just over 30 hours and boy was I in for a surprise.

 

For only 60 bucks, they were a steal. Not only do they add an entirely new layer of detail, they also shaped both the treble and the bass right up. The mids also seem more ... uhhhh.... betterer. Vocals seem a whole lot more real, as if the singer is right in the room with you. Usually people go on about feeling the need to listen to all their music again with even the tiniest upgrades. I did not do that, but I did however, listen to all my Pink Floyd albums again. For some reason, while it may be psychological, the difference seemed to be biggest with their albums. The song that stood out to me the most is "Mother" from The Wall. It seemed like the entire band was right in front of me.

 

These tubes have added a new level of enjoyment to music for me. They are sold out where I purchased them from, but if you find them anywhere else, buy them. They go quick.

 

 

700

post #4383 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamageInc77 View Post

I have now listened to the Amperex Orange Globes tubes from 1969 for a couple of days and I must say they are amazing.

 

I got them from mercedesman6572 on eBay.

 

My audio chain: FLAC -> Asus Xonar Essence ST RCA -> Schiit Lyr -> Toxic Cable 10ft OCC Cryo Silver/Copper -> Audeze LCD-2

 

I am comparing them to the stock GE 6BZ7 and the JJ E88CC.

My thoughts mirror the impressions that Iamnothim wrote earlier in this thread.

 

The first impressions I had were actually quite negative. The mids seemed thin and the treble was downright harsh. I was really hoping that burning them in would improve them. I let them burn in for just over 30 hours and boy was I in for a surprise.

 

For only 60 bucks, they were a steal. Not only do they add an entirely new layer of detail, they also shaped both the treble and the bass right up. The mids also seem more ... uhhhh.... betterer. Vocals seem a whole lot more real, as if the singer is right in the room with you. Usually people go on about feeling the need to listen to all their music again with even the tiniest upgrades. I did not do that, but I did however, listen to all my Pink Floyd albums again. For some reason, while it may be psychological, the difference seemed to be biggest with their albums. The song that stood out to me the most is "Mother" from The Wall. It seemed like the entire band was right in front of me.

 

These tubes have added a new level of enjoyment to music for me. They are sold out where I purchased them from, but if you find them anywhere else, buy them. They go quick.

 

 

700

L3000.gif

 

eBay store..Tubehunter....L3000.gif

post #4384 of 8735

I've found another tube-type that works in the Lyr: PCC85 and it's substitute, the ECC85. I bought some Telefunken PCC85's for about $25 a tube off of ebay just to test them out. And, I was pleasantly surprised to find out that they sound almost as good as the E288CC's that I love so much. I think that these are the best "budget" tubes for the Lyr. There are loads of them for sale online at pretty reasonable prices. Sound great with rock, pop, and jazz recordings.

post #4385 of 8735

Once you go Orange.... 

post #4386 of 8735

OK, you got me, price is right. Just ordered a pair of AMPEREX ORANGE GLOBE 6DJ8 ECC88 VACUUM TUBE 1969 DIMPLE GETTER

Been without my Lyr for a couple of weeks as it's in the shop getting the relay installed. I've been running with stock GE 's and have been pretty happy with them. Also have the Amperex PQ A-Frames, some Matsu and Mullard E88CC/6922. Should keep me happy for a while!


Edited by MickeyVee - 12/2/12 at 3:24pm
post #4387 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamnothim View Post

Once you go Orange.... 

Would you recommend the Orange over the PQ? 

post #4388 of 8735

Ohhh my you guys are stouting the Amperex Oran as good sounding tubes?... dear  they sound ok but pale in comparison to just about anything but he bottom of the barrel..

This thread has gone to hell....

 

Glad I was active when we really had a consensus on what good was... god you guys need help
 

post #4389 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyVee View Post

OK, you got me, price is right. Just ordered a pair of AMPEREX ORANGE GLOBE 6DJ8 ECC88 VACUUM TUBE 1969 DIMPLE GETTER

Been without my Lyr for a couple of weeks as it's in the shop getting the relay 
installed. I've been running with stock GE 's and have been pretty happy with them. Also have the Amperex PQ A-Frames, some Matsu and Mullard E88CC/6922. Should keep me happy for a while!
I think you'll be happy
post #4390 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heathen999 View Post

Would you recommend the Orange over the PQ? 

PQ is "Premium Quality". SQ is "Special Quality". I have not heard either but I am under the impression they are better than Orange or Bugle Boys. They are all going to sound different. You get into the long green when you find pinched waist D getters
Orange over stock for $60. a good value
post #4391 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamnothim View Post


PQ is "Premium Quality". SQ is "Special Quality". I have not heard either but I am under the impression they are better than Orange or Bugle Boys. They are all going to sound different. You get into the long green when you find pinched waist D getters
Orange over stock for $60. a good value

 

Thanks, I am currently using Telefunken ECC88 1960 Diamond Bottom and I really like them. Just looking for some options down the road if I decide to try something else. 

post #4392 of 8735

Anyone know of good tubes for the Lyr that would go well with Dance/Electronica and other fast bass punchy music? Would like something that could at least enhance the bass a good amount without having to turn the headphones quite loud to have the bass to my liking.

post #4393 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by dece870717 View Post

Anyone know of good tubes for the Lyr that would go well with Dance/Electronica and other fast bass punchy music? Would like something that could at least enhance the bass a good amount without having to turn the headphones quite loud to have the bass to my liking.

There are others far more qualified. ..

I'm thinking something very clean and crisp.

Not a Mullard and not an Orange Globe.  Perhaps a Bugle Boy.

My Amprex USA's have plenty of bass.....  I'll queue up something near your genre.

 

My suspicions are Telefunken, but I've never listened to them.

Either that or a 100% SS amp.

post #4394 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by dece870717 View Post

Anyone know of good tubes for the Lyr that would go well with Dance/Electronica and other fast bass punchy music? Would like something that could at least enhance the bass a good amount without having to turn the headphones quite loud to have the bass to my liking.

I played The Police Synchronicity.

 

The tube are doing a great job with the fast continuous percussion. 

It's all there the deep base as well as symbols.

 

Keep in mind these are expensive tubes.

I have some Bugle Boys I can roll in if you like.  They're about $60 a pair.

 

So far, I only have Amprex. 

post #4395 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyVee View Post

OK, you got me, price is right. Just ordered a pair of AMPEREX ORANGE GLOBE 6DJ8 ECC88 VACUUM TUBE 1969 DIMPLE GETTER

Been without my Lyr for a couple of weeks as it's in the shop getting the relay installed. I've been running with stock GE 's and have been pretty happy with them. Also have the Amperex PQ A-Frames, some Matsu and Mullard E88CC/6922. Should keep me happy for a while!

I'd be interested to learn how the orange globes sound compared to the Mullards. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread