Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread - Page 291  

post #4351 of 8735

That's cool.

I like the sense of community.

I sent a member my orange globes.

I packaged them in this:

$5 shipping USPS

400

post #4352 of 8735
Huh how many sets can you fit into it? I take my amp/tubes to local meets and wouldn't mind some extra protection
post #4353 of 8735

I will measure ..

 

 

  • Exterior Dimensions: 6.855" x 4.563" x 3.590"
  • Interior Dimensions: 5.691" x 3.063" x 2.741"

 

http://www.otterbox.com/OtterBox-Drybox-2500/OTR3-2500S,default,pd.html

 

$20.50 direct.  You will find them for less on eBay/Amazon.

 

One more thing.  There is a padded version and a non padded.

I have the padded..   I think that's the one above.


Edited by Iamnothim - 11/29/12 at 12:15pm
post #4354 of 8735

This is the larger one.

3000 series:

http://www.otterbox.com/OtterBox-Drybox-3510/OTR3-3510S,default,pd.html?dwvar_OTR3-3510S_color=05&start=1&cgid=otterbox-3000-cases

 

Waterproof tested to 100 feet. Waterproof, crushproof and airtight protection for GPS units, cameras, small video cameras, hunting ammo, fishing supplies and so much more. Available in black, yellow and blue and comes with a "Pick-N-Pluck" foam insert. 



  • Exterior Dimensions: 8.813" x 5.175" x 4.179"
  • Interior Dimensions: 7.549" x 3.606" x 3.326"
post #4355 of 8735
Ok otterbox they make my cellphone case. Good idea for tubes
post #4356 of 8735
Check cigar shops for those Otterboxes. They should already have foam dividers that were intended to hold cigars, but work well on tubes. smile.gif
post #4357 of 8735
I have a several different OtterBox dry boxes. Using some 6922 tube boxes I could fit 21 tubes standing on end. (7 x 3) If I had a wrap of small cell bubble wrap it would be 18 tubes. (6 x3) A boxed tube stands level with the top of the container. The domed lid you allow for about another 1/2 inch in height. The padded cases have a 1/16th of an inch of a neoprene coating on the inside. I do not believe it would change the capacity. I didn't want to empty out the coated one to measure. I use these cases for a lot of different stuff. Photography stuff, filters, memory cards, etc. The I put the boxes in my camera backpack. I like organization. I thought they'd be perfect for tubes because mold and humidity will not get inside. You could throw in a silica pack for good measure. Since I brought this up I checked SBK and Pelican for similar sizes. I didn't see any.
post #4358 of 8735
Most hardware stores sell foam that you can cut up to use in an Otterbox. Just a thought.
post #4359 of 8735

Here's how nutty I am.

 

I found boxes that are the same size as the ones my Amprex came in.

1 1/16" x 1 1/16" x 3"

A nickel each.

 

Gotta by 1000 at $53

 

http://www.papermart.com/Product%20Pages/Product.aspx?GroupID=39380&SubGroupID=39378&ParentGroupID=20396#39378

 

I'm loony enough to buy some.

post #4360 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougofTheAbaci View Post

Most hardware stores sell foam that you can cut up to use in an Otterbox. Just a thought.

You're right.

Even if you only fit a dozen thats good.

Plus one of the OtterBox series includes "pick and pluck" foam.

 

The boxes wold be cool because you can write on them.

post #4361 of 8735

My DAC Bake-Off.

 

Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus

Senn HD650 > Lyr > DM+ > USB2 > MacBook Pro

vs

Schiit Audio Bifrost

Senn HD650 > Lyr > Bifrost > Toslink > MacBook Pro

 

Source: 

Paul Simon Graceland, remastered 24bit / 96kHz

Also: Mozart Violin Concerto No. 3  24/192kHz

 

My choice:  Schiit Audio Lyr.

Why: More musical, easier to listen to, very sweet.

Not that I don't like my DM+ for my room system

I enjoyed the Lyr on headphones more.

 

 

 

 

 

1000

 

 

post #4362 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui123 View Post

I bought these from audiogon, contacting the guy now to return....not a happy camper.  After this ordeal, I think I'm going to pick up a set of those 6922 US amperex these guys are spewing about....just to see what the fuss is. =P

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/tubes-siemens-cca-w-germany-gray-plates-blue-and-yellow-boxes-2012-11-19-accessories-30004

The Lorenz tubes are really good.

But after listening to Amperex 6922, I realized that there was a slight sonic veil from the Lorenz valves, hence my preference for the Amperex 6922.
I'm the type who favors sonic transparency.
So YMMV.
post #4363 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Soth View Post


The Lorenz tubes are really good.
But after listening to Amperex 6922, I realized that there was a slight sonic veil from the Lorenz valves, hence my preference for the Amperex 6922.
I'm the type who favors sonic transparency.
So YMMV.


What are your thoughts on the Mullard CV-2492/2493?

 

How do the Mullards differ sonically from the Amperex 6922?

post #4364 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkool View Post


What are your thoughts on the Mullard CV-2492/2493?

How do the Mullards differ sonically from the Amperex 6922?

Mullards have even more warmth in the mids than Amperex valves.
If your system is too bright sounding, they could be just the ticket to audio nirvana.

Here's a rough scale of the various ECC88/E88CC/7308/PCC88 family of tubes I have rolled.
Most lean sounding are Chinese ( Yucky over brightness) valves.

German valves are lean but not too overly bright. Telefunkens are lean but they do something wonderful to the midrange. Their weakness is the lack of bass especially Siemens CCA.
Lorenz valves are linear but have great bass.

Amperex/Philips have more warmth, just right for most people hence their popularity.

Mullards have even more warmth. They are like the Russian valves with plenty of warmth.
The difference between Mullards and Russians is that there is greater distortion or sonic veil for the Russian valves.
Even amongst Mullards, there is a difference between Blackburn and Mitcham factories. Most people claim that Blackburn Mullards sound better.

Within each type, e.g. Mullards.
ECC88/PCC88 have the widest soundstage and most impactful bass.
6922 are a stepup in terms of sonic transparency and seem to lift a veil off the sound.
7308s seem to have the quietest backgrounds and are most suited for preamp use.

These are my general observations.
Edited by Lord Soth - 11/30/12 at 7:41am
post #4365 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Soth View Post


Mullards have even more warmth in the mids than Amperex valves.
If your system is too bright sounding, they could be just the ticket to audio nirvana.
Here's a rough scale of the various ECC88/E88CC/7308/PCC88 family of tubes I have rolled.
Most lean sounding are Chinese ( Yucky over brightness) valves.
German valves are lean but not too overly bright. Telefunkens are lean but they do something wonderful to the midrange. Their weakness is the lack of bass especially Siemens CCA.
Lorenz valves are linear but have great bass.
Amperex/Philips have more warmth, just right for most people hence their popularity.
Mullards have even more warmth. They are like the Russian valves with plenty of warmth.
The difference between Mullards and Russians is that there is greater distortion or sonic veil for the Russian valves.
Even amongst Mullards, there is a difference between Blackburn and Mitcham factories. Most people claim that Blackburn Mullards sound better.


Thank you very much! Your experiences are always helpful to us.

 

A pair of mid-60's Mullard "large shield, halo getter" CV-2493's arrived yesterday. The mids are indeed very nice and sound exactly like a newer early-70's "dimple-getter" version I have. However, the older Mullards have slightly better bass, to my delight. They also run a little cooler than the Amperex Orange Globe 6DJ8's that I'm used to. Very nice, indeed.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread