Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread - Page 285  

post #4261 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaJoMax View Post

does anyone still find the 6N23P a good sounding tubes?

http://www.cryoset.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_24&products_id=262&osCsid=e335aa1df2adbd52583e08fa7aab9547

I have a pair of 6n23p's that I got with a pair of electro harmonix 6922eh from a member here. I always compair the two do to the fact they are newly made Russian tubes with near identical builds, that I can't tell. Like other newly made tube types they are not warm (kinds solid stateish), pretty detailed, with small boxy soundstage. If you kinda liked the JJ sound but thought they could be better, you might like these new Russian tubes.
Between the two for me the 6n23p sounds more natural I use it for acoustic based recordings. The 6922eh sounds slightly more clinical and detailed, also has a noticeable bass extension and I enjoy it with electronic based music.
To be honest I felt they were both kinda meh with my k701 and lcd2, it wasn't till I got the lcd3 that I found that the synergy with my setup and 6922eh was pretty enjoyable. Ive been using them a good bit recently they work well with that can imo. As always ymmv etc etc
post #4262 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydoseofdaly View Post


I have a pair of 6n23p's that I got with a pair of electro harmonix 6922eh from a member here. I always compair the two do to the fact they are newly made Russian tubes with near identical builds, that I can't tell. Like other newly made tube types they are not warm (kinds solid stateish), pretty detailed, with small boxy soundstage. If you kinda liked the JJ sound but thought they could be better, you might like these new Russian tubes.
Between the two for me the 6n23p sounds more natural I use it for acoustic based recordings. The 6922eh sounds slightly more clinical and detailed, also has a noticeable bass extension and I enjoy it with electronic based music.
To be honest I felt they were both kinda meh with my k701 and lcd2, it wasn't till I got the lcd3 that I found that the synergy with my setup and 6922eh was pretty enjoyable. Ive been using them a good bit recently they work well with that can imo. As always ymmv etc etc

thx you!

 

i am currently pairing with HE-500, might give those a try!

post #4263 of 8735
Looking for something with a bit more bass weght than the voshkod's or lorenz.
Thoughts?
Hibuck.....
post #4264 of 8735

I just picked up a pair of matched E188CC La Radiotechinques, just awesome sound with the HD650s.

post #4265 of 8735

Just scored:

 

AMPEREX ORANGE GLOBE 6DJ8 ECC88

VACUUM TUBE 1969 DIMPLE GETTER MATCHED PAIR

HERLEEN NETHERLANDS

1969

 

 

 

 

1000

 

 

 

700

 

 

Wait'n to fire up the Lyr.

post #4266 of 8735

Of the tubes that Schiit sells, what are the sound characteristics of each? Which one is best?:

 

JJ E88CC

GE 6B27

6N1P

post #4267 of 8735

There are others far more qualified to answer your question.

My Lyr has not yet arrived and I'm getting different tubes to play with.

 

I'm trying "tube hunter" on eBay to purchase some tubes to experiment.  His tubes are used and NOS, but he has a lot of variety in his catalog.  They look like a good value.

 

He has 100% feedback over 1400 replies and sounds very customer oriented.

http://stores.ebay.com/TUBEHUNTER?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

 

Here is the link to the tubes I purchased.  I will follow up after I've had time to listen to them.  I'm thinking of getting some Telefunken's for comparison.  After all, how can you not own something called Telefunken.

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221144304243?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

 

All-the-best

post #4268 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamnothim View Post

There are others far more qualified to answer your question.

My Lyr has not yet arrived and I'm getting different tubes to play with.

 

I'm trying "tube hunter" on eBay to purchase some tubes to experiment.  His tubes are used and NOS, but he has a lot of variety in his catalog.  They look like a good value.

 

He has 100% feedback over 1400 replies and sounds very customer oriented.

http://stores.ebay.com/TUBEHUNTER?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

 

Here is the link to the tubes I purchased.  I will follow up after I've had time to listen to them.  I'm thinking of getting some Telefunken's for comparison.  After all, how can you not own something called Telefunken.

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221144304243?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

 

All-the-best

Please do follow up. Most of his tubes do seem like very good value.

post #4269 of 8735
Promise.
The tracking number for the Schiit gear and HD650's indicates Friday.... But we all know about that day.

Tubehunter is in AZ so I should get those are well. Besides the Amprex Orange I also bought a pair of 1962 Amprex Bugle Boy's

I am pretty sure they are used rather than NOS. The description would say NOS if they were NOS and they would cost $200 -$400. It's like a stock exchange, except tubes. biggrin.gif. Just like stocks you can buy the tubes and 2 months later they're worthless.

I'll risk $120 for 2 pr. Rather than $300 for one new pair. My rationalization is that the NOS could become toast just as easily as tested used. Heck, new or used they're 30-50 years old. This tube rolling is a big boy hobby. $$. This is my first transaction but it looks a lot like stamp/coin collecting. Try to unearth a real gem cheap... That's step 2. A lot to learn.

Any review I write will be the opinion of a buck naked novice . Very subjective. I might not even know what im hearing This is my first set of cans and can amps, I have to burn them in etc. My only comparison is my Thiel CS 1.2 speakers off an Anthem AVM20 or. a Jolida SJ302b and it's been many years since running the Jolida. In fact I'm selling the Jolida.

This is opposed to a HeadFi'r that owns lots of headphones and a substantial collection of tubes. That would be a review worth reading.

Finally I have a very good vibe from Tubehunter. Grea eBay feedback. Very responsive to emails. Says he stands by his product... which is crazy because unlike most products it's 50 yrs old, new or used, and might blow at any time not to mention being mishandled by a buyer installing them in the wrong gear. Who would want a business with that liability? Plus you don't even know if you can find more product. Gotta be love.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321023727038?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Edited by Iamnothim - 11/20/12 at 9:03am
post #4270 of 8735

I just bought a pair for myself. I hope they will be good.

post #4271 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamageInc77 View Post

I just bought a pair for myself. I hope they will be good.

If not, they'll make dandy Christmas tree ornaments.
post #4272 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamnothim View Post


If not, they'll make dandy Christmas tree ornaments.

That'll make 'em the 3rd most expensive tree ornaments I got.

post #4273 of 8735

o2smile.gif

post #4274 of 8735

I've been reading in Wikipedia about vacuum tubes in general. Design and failure.  I know know what a getter is, however I only understand snip its.  The documents speaks to taking care not to bend the pins and keeping them clean so as not to compromise the integrity of the tube chamber.

 

Pin corrosion could do just that and shorten the life of the tube.  That makes sense.

 

Do you have knowledge of this and tube maintenance tips?  I have not googled that topic yet.

post #4275 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamnothim View Post

I've been reading in Wikipedia about vacuum tubes in general. Design and failure.  I know know what a getter is, however I only understand snip its.  The documents speaks to taking care not to bend the pins and keeping them clean so as not to compromise the integrity of the tube chamber.

 

Pin corrosion could do just that and shorten the life of the tube.  That makes sense.

 

Do you have knowledge of this and tube maintenance tips?  I have not googled that topic yet.

I think the tube's life would die out before pin corrosion. As long as you're not using abrasive cleaning methods.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread