Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread - Page 260  

post #3886 of 8735

Hi Mikek200,

 

just like to confirm that you are using 6CG7 in the Lyr as equivalent to 6922, thanks.

post #3887 of 8735

Hello guys,

 

my volume knob on my Lyr got fixed. Everything alright!!!

 

Now i´m enjoying my Amperex PQ 7308 White Label - made in USA and i can´t get away the big smile on my face beyersmile.png

 

A pleasure to hear them with my HE5-LE  Not the biggest bass, but a very large soundstage and damn - these ones are dead quiet!!

 

Thanks to songmic for these great tubes!!!

 

@Mike

 

Sadly your tubes have not arrived yet.Maybe by the end of the week....
 

post #3888 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by perfect-pitch View Post

Hello guys,

 

my volume knob on my Lyr got fixed. Everything alright!!!

 

Now i´m enjoying my Amperex PQ 7308 White Label - made in USA and i can´t get away the big smile on my face beyersmile.png

 

A pleasure to hear them with my HE5-LE  Not the biggest bass, but a very large soundstage and damn - these ones are dead quiet!!

 

Thanks to songmic for these great tubes!!!

 

Glad to know you're enjoying those tubes! I guess I won't be coming to thread anymore, as I'm selling my Lyr and buying a new solid-state amplifier to drive my newly bought Fostex TH900. Although I'll be missing the amount of time (and money) I've spent on tube rolling, hehe.

post #3889 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by okw3188 View Post

Hi Mikek200,

 

just like to confirm that you are using 6CG7 in the Lyr as equivalent to 6922, thanks.

????

 

Yes,I am using the 6CG7 on my Lyr...the 6922 work as well..

post #3890 of 8735

Can it drive the LCD-2, as the gain of 6CG7 is much lower than 6922 and how's the overall sound? 

post #3891 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by okw3188 View Post

Can it drive the LCD-2, as the gain of 6CG7 is much lower than 6922 and how's the overall sound? 

 

The LCD-2s don't need that much power.  I suspect it would drive them fine.

post #3892 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by okw3188 View Post

Can it drive the LCD-2, as the gain of 6CG7 is much lower than 6922 and how's the overall sound? 

I noticed that they read about 7-10ma which concerned me that it would be underpowered,so I asked member misterrogers, who knows a few things about tubes. His response was that the lyr is a current mode auto bias amp, so it compensates. It's out of the lyrs operating point but sounds very good.
He was right it takes the same volume to push them and they(cleartop/blackplates)sound very good with my lcd2 as well IMO.
post #3893 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxper View Post

Well, my Mullard CV2493 are putting out a line noise sound, switching them out it goes away. 

I cleaned the tubes with some alcohol and cotton swabs. Any other suggestions to salvage them? frown.gif


Ohh no tubes going never know when its like why do some go quick and others just never burn up? hehe did you use detoxit on the pins?  I suspect they are just going nothing ya can do now in some cases as Mike saw when I shipped him some tubes if they get jiggled around alot then sometimes a few hours of burn in clears it up if the noise is consistent not going away

use them as weapons if you get pissed like put a microhole in them and fill them with Gas. now you have  nice little bomb ;)

post #3894 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrScary View Post


Ohh no tubes going never know when its like why do some go quick and others just never burn up? hehe did you use detoxit on the pins?  I suspect they are just going nothing ya can do now in some cases as Mike saw when I shipped him some tubes if they get jiggled around alot then sometimes a few hours of burn in clears it up if the noise is consistent not going away

use them as weapons if you get pissed like put a microhole in them and fill them with Gas. now you have  nice little bomb ;)

Yep, detoxit didn't fix 'em. So they're just gone. mad.gif

I am a nice guy. So I don't build bombs. tongue.gif However I could see me in a fit of rage chucking my beloved, yet broken Mullards at traffic. 

post #3895 of 8735

If the pins have a significant amount of oxidation build up, try fine emery cloth torn into a thin strip.  Gently run the strip 360 degrees around each pin, then wipe the pins with electrical contact cleaner.

*EDIT*

 

Do not use this proceedure on gold pins!!!!


Edited by Rope - 8/3/12 at 7:39pm
post #3896 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rope View Post

If the pins have a significant amount of oxidation build up, try fine emery cloth torn into a thin strip.  Gently run the strip 360 degrees around each pin, then wipe the pins with electrical contact cleaner.

*EDIT*

 

Do not use this proceedure on gold pins!!!!

Thanks, Rope. I'll make a trip to HD or Lowe's tomorrow. 

 

EDIT: And to no avail, no miracle story here. I'm still pissed off and looking forward to SS gear. tongue.gif


Edited by paradoxper - 8/4/12 at 10:49am
post #3897 of 8735

So has anybody tried some Genalex Gold Lion 6922/e88cc valves? how are they?

post #3898 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunybaby View Post

So has anybody tried some Genalex Gold Lion 6922/e88cc valves? how are they?

Yes, would you like to purchase them?

post #3899 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunybaby View Post

So has anybody tried some Genalex Gold Lion 6922/e88cc valves? how are they?

See man there is your answer nobody wants them they are ok man I personally have revisted them I bought two sets way over a year ago and I just found the other set they sound ok with closed ear phones I think they suck arse with Open headphones but thats my opinion... Buy them from Rope I think I will save mine never know someday another amp may come out with tubes that are not commodity tubes..  yeah right we are going solid state sad but true :( luckily there are some killer tubes being remade in the Audio production world so we will always have some for making music... just listening that the prob not enough market ;(

post #3900 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rope View Post

If the pins have a significant amount of oxidation build up, try fine emery cloth torn into a thin strip.  Gently run the strip 360 degrees around each pin, then wipe the pins with electrical contact cleaner.

*EDIT*

 

Do not use this proceedure on gold pins!!!!

 

The CV2492/2493 should all be gold pins!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxper View Post

Thanks, Rope. I'll make a trip to HD or Lowe's tomorrow. 

 

EDIT: And to no avail, no miracle story here. I'm still pissed off and looking forward to SS gear. tongue.gif

 

If it's the pins you could always try Deoxit Gold GX (you can get it in the Deoxit Vacuum Tube Survival Kit, the one rated for tubes...it's the aircraft one.)  Or the harsh conditions one...Deoxit....can't remember the series but it's the green one.  It's for harsh environments, also more of a lube/protectant.

 

But I do suspect your 2493's are just fizzling.  One of my 2492's have a slight hiss, as do one of my Tungsrams, but it's not horrible, and it's easy to ignore.  But yours...yeah...sounds like a failing tube frown.gif  On the other hand there's some other great tubes out there!  It's not the loss of your favorite tube, it's an opportunity to experience new tubes! tongue.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread