Some Russian NOS 70s tubes, and a set of GE grays are on their way to me now. Couldn't quite drop the money on the Mullard or Amperex tubes right now - maybe if I wind up preferring the Russian or GE tubes and can sell my Gold Lions I'll take a look at them again.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- What Amp/ DAC Combination for Games/ Films on PS3/ PC Last post on 9/6/11 at 9:43am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- NFB12 + HD 650 Last post on 9/15/11 at 10:21pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Woo Audio 3 vs Schiit Lyr/Valhalla Last post on 4/25/13 at 2:22pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Recently purchased an Audeze LCD-2, help me choose an amp and DAC Last post on 8/30/11 at 7:22am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- amp advice Last post on 8/12/11 at 10:25am in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 12/16/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Introduction First I want to start with an "I'm sorry" because I took so long to write this and to top it off, I feel as if the review was a "waste of time" because, well, I don't see it as very...
This is a review of the Noble 8c, an eight drivers 4 ways ciems. You could check the specs on the noble web site. Please be kind in your critics, as this is my first review ever, and that English...
Porta Pros simply made the biggest difference for me when listening to music as I have switched from some low-end sony in-ear to them and suddenly when playing the same song music became more rich...
From the moment Charles told me about the new project that he was working on, “Project Palaios”, I was intrigued. A wooden amp? That’s certainly not what you hear everyday and from the pictures...
Packaging and build: The packaging is minimal and exquisitely so. The extra tips filters and manual are behind the felt coated foam holding the earphones. As I gingerly dislodged them from the...
Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread - Page 10
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #137 of 87354/28/11 at 7:15pmpost #138 of 87354/28/11 at 8:18pmpost #139 of 87354/28/11 at 8:20pmpost #140 of 87354/28/11 at 8:22pm
I just got some Russian OTK 2 6N23P's they were about 30.00 but they sound much better than the Schiit 6N1p's they are so far my favorite of everything I have rolled
Edited by MrScary - 4/28/11 at 8:27pmpost #141 of 87354/28/11 at 8:32pm
The 6N23p's are an excellent tube as are many 6N1P's but some 6N1P tubes are grainy and are not that musical. I have found this true with many of the later produced 6N1P's, that they can be grainy and not that musical.post #142 of 87354/28/11 at 11:01pm
Quote:Originally Posted by MrScary
Electro Harmonix Tube Glove
You can pick these up at parts-express.com for 11.95 they are great for grabbing hot tubes when you are too lazy to wait until they cool down to roll.
Also for the Lyr I get them out in 1 second now that rocks.
For those interested in saving a few dollars, a box of 12 rubber fingertips can be found for less that $3 from any major office supply store. Size 13 or 14 seem to work well on small tubes. I haven't tried them on hot tubes as they might melt since they're only made of thin rubber. Although not as versatile as the EH Tube Glove, if you work primarily with small tubes, they are a low cost alternative.post #143 of 87354/28/11 at 11:24pmpost #144 of 87354/29/11 at 8:29amQuote:Originally Posted by jazzfan
For those interested in saving a few dollars, a box of 12 rubber fingertips can be found for less that $3 from any major office supply store. Size 13 or 14 seem to work well on small tubes. I haven't tried them on hot tubes as they might melt since they're only made of thin rubber. Although not as versatile as the EH Tube Glove, if you work primarily with small tubes, they are a low cost alternative.
Great idea, great suggestion! Thanks!
post #145 of 87354/29/11 at 12:19pmQuote:
The stock tubes ARE quiet. The problem is, you're probably using headphones that the Lyr is too much for. That's when you get the hum and/or hiss. Paired with hard to drive headphones, the stock tubes are as dead silent as if I didn't have my headphone connected to anything.post #146 of 87354/29/11 at 1:17pmQuote:
Quote:post #147 of 87354/29/11 at 1:53pmpost #148 of 87354/29/11 at 2:42pmEveryone who's been using easier to drive headphones have stated they get hum/hiss with the Lyr. I've swapped to the Valhalla tubes and get the same amount of hum/hiss as the stock tubes. So, I'm pretty sure no matter what tubes you use, you will get hum/hiss with your sensitive headphones. Get another amp if its gonna bother you that much.post #149 of 87354/29/11 at 3:12pmpost #150 of 87354/29/11 at 3:18pmQuote:Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy
Everyone who's been using easier to drive headphones have stated they get hum/hiss with the Lyr. I've swapped to the Valhalla tubes and get the same amount of hum/hiss as the stock tubes. So, I'm pretty sure no matter what tubes you use, you will get hum/hiss with your sensitive headphones. Get another amp if its gonna bother you that much.
No not everyone I have ran my future sonic M8's and I get no hiss at all with any of my tubes
This thread is locked
- Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › HiFiMAN HM-901 - a review in progress: Factory visit pg 18. IMGS pg... 11 seconds ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 42 seconds ago
- › need advice regarding headphone purchase 51 seconds ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 1 minute ago
- › The Official Grado 325i Owners Club. 2 minutes ago
- › Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model 2 minutes ago
- › Need help choosing a headset with good isolation 3 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 4 minutes ago
- › PS4 vs XBOX ONE (What would you buy and why? No fanboy like... 4 minutes ago
- › New! Focal Spirit Pro? 5 minutes ago
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog (T50RP Mod) by gelocks
- › Noble Audio 8C by John0405
- › Koss PortaPro - Headphones ( semi-open ) by cipurian
- › Project Palaios: Iona by lin0003
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by getclikinagas
- › JAYS T00093 a-JAYS Five Earphones for Android - Black by mark2410
- › Beats Pro Over-Ear Headphone (White) by DigitalGrounder
- › AMB Laboratories γ2 (Gamma2) by JustinBieber
- › AKG K701 Studio Headphones by kmaenpaa
- › JVC HAS160B FLATS Lightweight Headband Headphones (Black) by Lokip000
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by cristina
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe