Some Russian NOS 70s tubes, and a set of GE grays are on their way to me now. Couldn't quite drop the money on the Mullard or Amperex tubes right now - maybe if I wind up preferring the Russian or GE tubes and can sell my Gold Lions I'll take a look at them again.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- What Amp/ DAC Combination for Games/ Films on PS3/ PC Last post on 9/6/11 at 9:43am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- NFB12 + HD 650 Last post on 9/15/11 at 10:21pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Woo Audio 3 vs Schiit Lyr/Valhalla Last post on 5/30/15 at 5:18am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Recently purchased an Audeze LCD-2, help me choose an amp and DAC Last post on 8/30/11 at 7:22am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- amp advice Last post on 8/12/11 at 10:25am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 1/3/17
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
Sennheiser has launched an excellent closed back over ear headphone which has the premium sound of the legendary hd 5 series but instead of the traditional open back design this has a closed back...
I was never a really big fan of on-ear or supra-aural headphones in the past. They always seemed to be uncomfortable or not offer a proper seal granting the full sound or decent noise isolation....
This has been called beats for audiophiles. It has great sound, is neutral and detailed, but they are glossy and fairly fashionable. In general, I like a V shape and listen to hardcore, metal,...
Disclaimer I got this unit as part of New Zealand tour arranged by @Brooko & @Andykong, thank you very much for including me in this tour :) Introduction I am just another music fans in this...
Ok so it is 2017 and I'm late to the party but I just got this headphone from Singapore Jaben because it seems they were clearing their stock. I got this for a whooping $34.90 SGD!! When I looked...
Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread - Page 10
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #137 of 87354/28/11 at 7:15pmpost #138 of 87354/28/11 at 8:18pmpost #139 of 87354/28/11 at 8:20pmpost #140 of 87354/28/11 at 8:22pm
I just got some Russian OTK 2 6N23P's they were about 30.00 but they sound much better than the Schiit 6N1p's they are so far my favorite of everything I have rolled
Edited by MrScary - 4/28/11 at 8:27pmpost #141 of 87354/28/11 at 8:32pm
The 6N23p's are an excellent tube as are many 6N1P's but some 6N1P tubes are grainy and are not that musical. I have found this true with many of the later produced 6N1P's, that they can be grainy and not that musical.post #142 of 87354/28/11 at 11:01pm
Quote:Originally Posted by MrScary
Electro Harmonix Tube Glove
You can pick these up at parts-express.com for 11.95 they are great for grabbing hot tubes when you are too lazy to wait until they cool down to roll.
Also for the Lyr I get them out in 1 second now that rocks.
For those interested in saving a few dollars, a box of 12 rubber fingertips can be found for less that $3 from any major office supply store. Size 13 or 14 seem to work well on small tubes. I haven't tried them on hot tubes as they might melt since they're only made of thin rubber. Although not as versatile as the EH Tube Glove, if you work primarily with small tubes, they are a low cost alternative.post #143 of 87354/28/11 at 11:24pmpost #144 of 87354/29/11 at 8:29amQuote:Originally Posted by jazzfan
For those interested in saving a few dollars, a box of 12 rubber fingertips can be found for less that $3 from any major office supply store. Size 13 or 14 seem to work well on small tubes. I haven't tried them on hot tubes as they might melt since they're only made of thin rubber. Although not as versatile as the EH Tube Glove, if you work primarily with small tubes, they are a low cost alternative.
Great idea, great suggestion! Thanks!
post #145 of 87354/29/11 at 12:19pmQuote:
The stock tubes ARE quiet. The problem is, you're probably using headphones that the Lyr is too much for. That's when you get the hum and/or hiss. Paired with hard to drive headphones, the stock tubes are as dead silent as if I didn't have my headphone connected to anything.post #146 of 87354/29/11 at 1:17pmQuote:
Quote:post #147 of 87354/29/11 at 1:53pmpost #148 of 87354/29/11 at 2:42pmEveryone who's been using easier to drive headphones have stated they get hum/hiss with the Lyr. I've swapped to the Valhalla tubes and get the same amount of hum/hiss as the stock tubes. So, I'm pretty sure no matter what tubes you use, you will get hum/hiss with your sensitive headphones. Get another amp if its gonna bother you that much.post #149 of 87354/29/11 at 3:12pmpost #150 of 87354/29/11 at 3:18pmQuote:Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy
Everyone who's been using easier to drive headphones have stated they get hum/hiss with the Lyr. I've swapped to the Valhalla tubes and get the same amount of hum/hiss as the stock tubes. So, I'm pretty sure no matter what tubes you use, you will get hum/hiss with your sensitive headphones. Get another amp if its gonna bother you that much.
No not everyone I have ran my future sonic M8's and I get no hiss at all with any of my tubes
This thread is locked
- Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › iPhone 7/7+ Compact External DAC/Amp Thread 2 seconds ago
- › AUDIO over IP - REDNET 3 & 16 Review. AES67 Sets A New Standard... 27 seconds ago
- › Tennmak 58 seconds ago
- › Advice on first major headphone purchase 1 minute ago
- › "The Lab" 1 minute ago
- › "Millett Hybrid" redux: NuHybrid headphone amp, using the Korg Nutube 2 minutes ago
- › Absolute best budget earbuds? 2 minutes ago
- › CES 2017: MQA announces TIDAL Masters, and more 4 minutes ago
- › WESTONE W40 W/SPINFIT TIPS 5 minutes ago
- › Your Current Headphone Collection 5 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 598 Cs by Sam20
- › thinksound On2 wood on-ear monitor headphone (natural black) by crabdog
- › PSB M4U 1 by JoshG1217
- › Cayin i5 by daduy
- › Goldring DR150 High Fidelity Stereo Headphones by themindfreak
- › Sparkos Labs SS3602 Discrete Op-Amps by Yethal
- › Ultrasone Signature DJ by VintageFlanker
- › AudioQuest - Nighthawk Headphones by GirgleMirt
- › Onkyo E700M In-ear headphones Black with microphone by doraymon
- › K240 DF by asymcon
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear