Some Russian NOS 70s tubes, and a set of GE grays are on their way to me now. Couldn't quite drop the money on the Mullard or Amperex tubes right now - maybe if I wind up preferring the Russian or GE tubes and can sell my Gold Lions I'll take a look at them again.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- What Amp/ DAC Combination for Games/ Films on PS3/ PC Last post on 9/6/11 at 9:43am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- NFB12 + HD 650 Last post on 9/15/11 at 10:21pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Woo Audio 3 vs Schiit Lyr/Valhalla Last post on 4/25/13 at 2:22pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Recently purchased an Audeze LCD-2, help me choose an amp and DAC Last post on 8/30/11 at 7:22am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- amp advice Last post on 8/12/11 at 10:25am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 8/29/14
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
my repost from: http://www.head-fi.org/t/623894/review-logitech-ue9000-ultimate-ears-headphones-released-the-ue4000-ue6000-and-the-ue9000-impressions-thread/930 Just my two cents, to me, I feel...
When MEE was describing their new iems to me this is what they said: "... these earphones heavily emphasize comfort and appearance, they have nicely balanced sound that is less bassy compared to...
INTRODUCTION First of all, a big THANK YOU to Michael Lin from FIDUE for providing the review unit. It is much appreciated, and my humble ears are feeling so incredibly honoured to be included...
Some people may remember my Mrice E100 review which tells about being the best 2014 earbud king ? … with Blox BE3 .. you can forget that ! welcome to the new earbud that comes from another world...
Hi people. I have owned a pair of these earphones for over a year now, and this is what I think about them. I am a beginner reviewer so please, have some understanding. Also, English is not my...
Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread - Page 10
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #137 of 87354/28/11 at 7:15pmpost #138 of 87354/28/11 at 8:18pmpost #139 of 87354/28/11 at 8:20pmpost #140 of 87354/28/11 at 8:22pm
I just got some Russian OTK 2 6N23P's they were about 30.00 but they sound much better than the Schiit 6N1p's they are so far my favorite of everything I have rolled
Edited by MrScary - 4/28/11 at 8:27pmpost #141 of 87354/28/11 at 8:32pm
The 6N23p's are an excellent tube as are many 6N1P's but some 6N1P tubes are grainy and are not that musical. I have found this true with many of the later produced 6N1P's, that they can be grainy and not that musical.post #142 of 87354/28/11 at 11:01pm
Quote:Originally Posted by MrScary
Electro Harmonix Tube Glove
You can pick these up at parts-express.com for 11.95 they are great for grabbing hot tubes when you are too lazy to wait until they cool down to roll.
Also for the Lyr I get them out in 1 second now that rocks.
For those interested in saving a few dollars, a box of 12 rubber fingertips can be found for less that $3 from any major office supply store. Size 13 or 14 seem to work well on small tubes. I haven't tried them on hot tubes as they might melt since they're only made of thin rubber. Although not as versatile as the EH Tube Glove, if you work primarily with small tubes, they are a low cost alternative.post #143 of 87354/28/11 at 11:24pmpost #144 of 87354/29/11 at 8:29amQuote:Originally Posted by jazzfan
For those interested in saving a few dollars, a box of 12 rubber fingertips can be found for less that $3 from any major office supply store. Size 13 or 14 seem to work well on small tubes. I haven't tried them on hot tubes as they might melt since they're only made of thin rubber. Although not as versatile as the EH Tube Glove, if you work primarily with small tubes, they are a low cost alternative.
Great idea, great suggestion! Thanks!
post #145 of 87354/29/11 at 12:19pmQuote:
The stock tubes ARE quiet. The problem is, you're probably using headphones that the Lyr is too much for. That's when you get the hum and/or hiss. Paired with hard to drive headphones, the stock tubes are as dead silent as if I didn't have my headphone connected to anything.post #146 of 87354/29/11 at 1:17pmQuote:
Quote:post #147 of 87354/29/11 at 1:53pmpost #148 of 87354/29/11 at 2:42pmEveryone who's been using easier to drive headphones have stated they get hum/hiss with the Lyr. I've swapped to the Valhalla tubes and get the same amount of hum/hiss as the stock tubes. So, I'm pretty sure no matter what tubes you use, you will get hum/hiss with your sensitive headphones. Get another amp if its gonna bother you that much.post #149 of 87354/29/11 at 3:12pmpost #150 of 87354/29/11 at 3:18pmQuote:Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy
Everyone who's been using easier to drive headphones have stated they get hum/hiss with the Lyr. I've swapped to the Valhalla tubes and get the same amount of hum/hiss as the stock tubes. So, I'm pretty sure no matter what tubes you use, you will get hum/hiss with your sensitive headphones. Get another amp if its gonna bother you that much.
No not everyone I have ran my future sonic M8's and I get no hiss at all with any of my tubes
This thread is locked
- Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › Band Name Game II 36 seconds ago
- › You Know You're an Audiophile When.. Version 2! 53 seconds ago
- › WIN Sennheiser Urbanite Headphones - Black 1 minute ago
- › The discovery thread.! NEW sfwalcer's earphone comparo PG 1727.... 1 minute ago
- › Koss KSC75's. Dont Forget This Giant Killer in all the ''Hidden... 2 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 2 minutes ago
- › The Best Bass Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club") 2 minutes ago
- › Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide 3 minutes ago
- › The Ear Pads Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Ultimate Ears UE9000 Noise-Cancelling Wireless Headphones by SennsAsian
- › Crystal by MEElectronics In-Ear Headphones with Microphone Made... by indieman
- › Fidue A31s by djvkool
- › Blox BE3 by subwoof3r
- › Apple EarPods with Remote and Mic by donniefalcone
- › PCM-M10 Portable Digital Recorder by THD plus N
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by JoeDoe
- › Superlux HD-668 B by donniefalcone
- › HiFiMAN HM-901 by piksnz
- › OPPO BDP-105 Universal Audiophile 3D Blu-ray Player by professor825
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)