Some Russian NOS 70s tubes, and a set of GE grays are on their way to me now. Couldn't quite drop the money on the Mullard or Amperex tubes right now - maybe if I wind up preferring the Russian or GE tubes and can sell my Gold Lions I'll take a look at them again.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- What Amp/ DAC Combination for Games/ Films on PS3/ PC Last post on 9/6/11 at 9:43am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- NFB12 + HD 650 Last post on 9/15/11 at 10:21pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Woo Audio 3 vs Schiit Lyr/Valhalla Last post on 5/30/15 at 5:18am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Recently purchased an Audeze LCD-2, help me choose an amp and DAC Last post on 8/30/11 at 7:22am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- amp advice Last post on 8/12/11 at 10:25am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
For larger views of any of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual imagesINTRODUCTIONFirstly I want to shout out to Mark (Head-Fier d marc0) for working with Ken Ball from...
Here is my short review of the HOOKA headphone hanger. Thank you to Pandora from Brainwavz for providing me with the product. This very cool headphone hanger came in a nice, small sized...
The Emotiva DC-1 Stealth DAC is frankly, an incredible value. The only other products I can think of that offers such a complete and capable skill set for such a low cost are the Koss KSC75,...
This is a very comfortable headphone (not ideally so, but close enough) and once you get used to the clap force, you barely notice it's on. The sound quality is amazing. I have compared this...
First of all, thank you to @ejong7 for arranging for me to be included in this review tour. I am in no way affiliated with Obravo or any retailer. I am head-fi hobbyist and music lover...
Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread - Page 10
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #137 of 87354/28/11 at 7:15pmpost #138 of 87354/28/11 at 8:18pmpost #139 of 87354/28/11 at 8:20pmpost #140 of 87354/28/11 at 8:22pm
I just got some Russian OTK 2 6N23P's they were about 30.00 but they sound much better than the Schiit 6N1p's they are so far my favorite of everything I have rolled
Edited by MrScary - 4/28/11 at 8:27pmpost #141 of 87354/28/11 at 8:32pm
The 6N23p's are an excellent tube as are many 6N1P's but some 6N1P tubes are grainy and are not that musical. I have found this true with many of the later produced 6N1P's, that they can be grainy and not that musical.post #142 of 87354/28/11 at 11:01pm
Quote:Originally Posted by MrScary
Electro Harmonix Tube Glove
You can pick these up at parts-express.com for 11.95 they are great for grabbing hot tubes when you are too lazy to wait until they cool down to roll.
Also for the Lyr I get them out in 1 second now that rocks.
For those interested in saving a few dollars, a box of 12 rubber fingertips can be found for less that $3 from any major office supply store. Size 13 or 14 seem to work well on small tubes. I haven't tried them on hot tubes as they might melt since they're only made of thin rubber. Although not as versatile as the EH Tube Glove, if you work primarily with small tubes, they are a low cost alternative.post #143 of 87354/28/11 at 11:24pmpost #144 of 87354/29/11 at 8:29amQuote:Originally Posted by jazzfan
For those interested in saving a few dollars, a box of 12 rubber fingertips can be found for less that $3 from any major office supply store. Size 13 or 14 seem to work well on small tubes. I haven't tried them on hot tubes as they might melt since they're only made of thin rubber. Although not as versatile as the EH Tube Glove, if you work primarily with small tubes, they are a low cost alternative.
Great idea, great suggestion! Thanks!
post #145 of 87354/29/11 at 12:19pmQuote:
The stock tubes ARE quiet. The problem is, you're probably using headphones that the Lyr is too much for. That's when you get the hum and/or hiss. Paired with hard to drive headphones, the stock tubes are as dead silent as if I didn't have my headphone connected to anything.post #146 of 87354/29/11 at 1:17pmQuote:
Quote:post #147 of 87354/29/11 at 1:53pmpost #148 of 87354/29/11 at 2:42pmEveryone who's been using easier to drive headphones have stated they get hum/hiss with the Lyr. I've swapped to the Valhalla tubes and get the same amount of hum/hiss as the stock tubes. So, I'm pretty sure no matter what tubes you use, you will get hum/hiss with your sensitive headphones. Get another amp if its gonna bother you that much.post #149 of 87354/29/11 at 3:12pmpost #150 of 87354/29/11 at 3:18pmQuote:Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy
Everyone who's been using easier to drive headphones have stated they get hum/hiss with the Lyr. I've swapped to the Valhalla tubes and get the same amount of hum/hiss as the stock tubes. So, I'm pretty sure no matter what tubes you use, you will get hum/hiss with your sensitive headphones. Get another amp if its gonna bother you that much.
No not everyone I have ran my future sonic M8's and I get no hiss at all with any of my tubes
This thread is locked
- Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Monk & Monk Plus: a $5 earbud that taking... 21 seconds ago
- › Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread. 1 minute ago
- › No box from amazon? 1 minute ago
- › "Ear Kegs" - MusicMaker Phantom III / Shockwave III appreciation &... 1 minute ago
- › Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1) 2 minutes ago
- › New from Garage1217, the solid-state Project Polaris! 2 minutes ago
- › ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA |... 2 minutes ago
- › Dent in headphone diaphragm 3 minutes ago
- › XDuoo X3 DSD 24Bit / 192KHz CS4398 Chip Lossless Music Player 6 minutes ago
- › SE846 Filter mod 7 minutes ago
- › Campfire Audio Lyra by Brooko
- › Brainwavz Hooka by DynamikeB
- › Emotiva Stealth DC-1 | Balanced 24/192 Fully Differential DAC by JoeDoe
- › Sennheiser PX 100-II Supra-Aural Mini Headphones - Black by MorrisL
- › oBravo ERIB-2a by Krisman
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by achelgeson
- › Meze 99 Classics by Mshenay
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by C.C.S.
- › Effect Audio Leonidas by MikePortnoy
- › Brainwavz BLU-200 by DynamikeB
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...