Some Russian NOS 70s tubes, and a set of GE grays are on their way to me now. Couldn't quite drop the money on the Mullard or Amperex tubes right now - maybe if I wind up preferring the Russian or GE tubes and can sell my Gold Lions I'll take a look at them again.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- What Amp/ DAC Combination for Games/ Films on PS3/ PC Last post on 9/6/11 at 9:43am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- NFB12 + HD 650 Last post on 9/15/11 at 10:21pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Woo Audio 3 vs Schiit Lyr/Valhalla Last post on 5/30/15 at 5:18am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Recently purchased an Audeze LCD-2, help me choose an amp and DAC Last post on 8/30/11 at 7:22am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- amp advice Last post on 8/12/11 at 10:25am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/6/15
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Introduction So a little a bit myself, I am a semi-audiophile. It means that I listen to "normal" song and audiophile song kind of 50:50. During my commute to work I listen to "normal" song such...
Thank You's and Sorries A big thank David Maudlin for sending me the Cypher Labs AlgoRhythm Trio to me back in late May and I apologise that it's taken me 3 months to put something up about...
Intro Before I begin, I would like to sincerely thank Pandora at Brainwavz for providing the review sample of the Jive you see in this review. Please note that I am neither affiliated with...
Name- DUNU TITAN 1 Manufacturar- Dunu-topsound, a chinese company. Price- 115$, I got them for around 169SGD from Lend me ur ears, Singapore. Description- First, some note about me. I am a 25...
BEYERDYNAMIC iDX 160 iE INTRO If you're reading this you must be a Head-Fi member or just looking at reviews for a new pair of headphones or iem’s. Let me introduce myself, my name is Adam...
Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread - Page 10
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #137 of 87354/28/11 at 7:15pmpost #138 of 87354/28/11 at 8:18pmpost #139 of 87354/28/11 at 8:20pmpost #140 of 87354/28/11 at 8:22pm
I just got some Russian OTK 2 6N23P's they were about 30.00 but they sound much better than the Schiit 6N1p's they are so far my favorite of everything I have rolled
Edited by MrScary - 4/28/11 at 8:27pmpost #141 of 87354/28/11 at 8:32pm
The 6N23p's are an excellent tube as are many 6N1P's but some 6N1P tubes are grainy and are not that musical. I have found this true with many of the later produced 6N1P's, that they can be grainy and not that musical.post #142 of 87354/28/11 at 11:01pm
Quote:Originally Posted by MrScary
Electro Harmonix Tube Glove
You can pick these up at parts-express.com for 11.95 they are great for grabbing hot tubes when you are too lazy to wait until they cool down to roll.
Also for the Lyr I get them out in 1 second now that rocks.
For those interested in saving a few dollars, a box of 12 rubber fingertips can be found for less that $3 from any major office supply store. Size 13 or 14 seem to work well on small tubes. I haven't tried them on hot tubes as they might melt since they're only made of thin rubber. Although not as versatile as the EH Tube Glove, if you work primarily with small tubes, they are a low cost alternative.post #143 of 87354/28/11 at 11:24pmpost #144 of 87354/29/11 at 8:29amQuote:Originally Posted by jazzfan
For those interested in saving a few dollars, a box of 12 rubber fingertips can be found for less that $3 from any major office supply store. Size 13 or 14 seem to work well on small tubes. I haven't tried them on hot tubes as they might melt since they're only made of thin rubber. Although not as versatile as the EH Tube Glove, if you work primarily with small tubes, they are a low cost alternative.
Great idea, great suggestion! Thanks!
post #145 of 87354/29/11 at 12:19pmQuote:
The stock tubes ARE quiet. The problem is, you're probably using headphones that the Lyr is too much for. That's when you get the hum and/or hiss. Paired with hard to drive headphones, the stock tubes are as dead silent as if I didn't have my headphone connected to anything.post #146 of 87354/29/11 at 1:17pmQuote:
Quote:post #147 of 87354/29/11 at 1:53pmpost #148 of 87354/29/11 at 2:42pmEveryone who's been using easier to drive headphones have stated they get hum/hiss with the Lyr. I've swapped to the Valhalla tubes and get the same amount of hum/hiss as the stock tubes. So, I'm pretty sure no matter what tubes you use, you will get hum/hiss with your sensitive headphones. Get another amp if its gonna bother you that much.post #149 of 87354/29/11 at 3:12pmpost #150 of 87354/29/11 at 3:18pmQuote:Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy
Everyone who's been using easier to drive headphones have stated they get hum/hiss with the Lyr. I've swapped to the Valhalla tubes and get the same amount of hum/hiss as the stock tubes. So, I'm pretty sure no matter what tubes you use, you will get hum/hiss with your sensitive headphones. Get another amp if its gonna bother you that much.
No not everyone I have ran my future sonic M8's and I get no hiss at all with any of my tubes
This thread is locked
- Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › The Stax Thread III 12 seconds ago
- › Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion 51 seconds ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 1 minute ago
- › IEM burn-in damage 1 minute ago
- › Feliks-Audio ELISE...(previously 6SN7 + 6AS7G/6080 prototype) 1 minute ago
- › Best sound under 200 USD? 2 minutes ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 3 minutes ago
- › The Top 10 Truths Of Head-Fi 4 minutes ago
- › DUNU DN-2000J -- More Than Evolution? 4 minutes ago
- › Echobox Finder X1 -- One of the pleasant surprises of CanJam 5 minutes ago
- › Audiosense V2mix4 by abyatar
- › Cypher Labs AlgoRhythm Trio Portable Vacuum Tube Headphone Amplifier by AnakChan
- › Brainwavz Jive by thatBeatsguy
- › Dunu TITAN 1 — titanium-coated diaphragm earphones by areek
- › Beyerdynamic DX 160 iE by acain
- › Cayin Spark C5 DAC Portable USB DAC + Headphone Amplifier by chowmein83
- › HiFiMAN HE400S by Cotnijoe
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by ClieOS
- › Shozy Lancea mini dac amplifier 24bit/192khz for Android/iOS/PC/iPhone by peter123
- › Philips Fidelio X2 by muxamed
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2