Have you heard the Akg K181 Dj's yet?
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 4/15/11
- productbeyerdynamic DT 770 Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 4/15/11
- productDenon AH-D1100tagged by System, 4/15/11
- productDenon AHD2000 High Performance Over-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 4/15/11
- productFiiO E7 USB DAC and Portable Headphone Amplifiertagged by System, 4/15/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 4/15/11
- productShure SRH840tagged by System, 4/15/11
Related Forum Threads
- Headphones for under 200 Last post on 6/6/11 at 7:28am in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for new headphones. Last post on 10/16/12 at 6:52pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Help me choose :) Last post on 12/11/12 at 9:16am in Headphones (full-size)
- Specific CANS for very specific needs. Last post on 8/23/12 at 12:45am in Headphones (full-size)
- Entry level Audiophile headphones? Budget up to $200 Last post on 3/29/12 at 7:33pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: Today
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Greetings Head-fi! Today we are going to be checking out the Bluetooth version of Mee Audio's classic budget earphone, the M9B. Mee Audio, formerly MEElectronics, has been around since 2005 and is...
I got the honour of being part of the C1 World Tour . Whatever I did, thank you! It’s not every day that 3 new products from the same manufacturer arrive on your doorstep. I have the...
The Zpre is a dated small form factor preamp from Parasound, that also happens to be a great headphone amplifier. It comes with the Burr Brown 2134 Opamp for those that care for this type of...
Campfire Audio Vega – initial impressions As you will know if you read my recent review on the Lyra II, I have recently been lucky enough to get the chance to hear the three newest models...
About Me: I came into the world of audio from a guitar background, buying up tube amps from when I was a kid and was always fascinated with them. Then I ended up buying my first decent pair of...
Portable headphone recommendations under £150 - Page 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 274/14/11 at 2:48pm
If portable, why not IEMs?
Recently I got Audeo's and I find myself listnening to them more than to M50, even at home. Probably it's mostly due to discovering music presented in quite different way and I yet have to find out what's my take on Phonaks, But for sure they're great and way better for portable use than M50.
Frankly saying, I'd rather take even M9 for walking/commuting than M50.
They isolate way better, thus I don't have to crank up the volume and damage hearing,
they're more efficient, so the battery lasts longer,
cutting out ambient sounds makes me hear more bass and detail,
they are lighter, can be thrown into pocket,
they're rugged and cheap, so I don't have to worry about damaging them,
I'm not into showing off with HPs, and they're better at this :)
good luck!post #18 of 274/15/11 at 1:44amThread Starter
@vladimirK702 I'll have a look at the AKG K181 DJs - a few of my friends use AKGs for monitoring but I'm not familiar with that model.
@lorafenik I actually have a pair of Phonak Audeos, their Perfect Bass model (so same earphones but different filters). Within a month of having the sound on the right earphone is messed. Starts a bit muted, the high end is muffled, and after 5-10 minutes of listening there's virtually nothing coming out of it. I contacted the company and I haven't heard anything back in almost a month. I've been so busy that I haven't pursued it yet, but even when they were working well, although they sound good they weren't nearly as good IMO as the Denon AH-D1001's I had (although they do have much better bass), and when walking I found that they shifted a lot so I constantly lost the low-end.
At this point in time I would much prefer a good quality set of portable, over hear headphones, as my experience with them has been much better than with IEMs. I just want to do what I can to ensure I get something that's good, worth the money, and along with being portable also has good build quality (as the Denons really didn't, hence not using them anymore). From what I've read so far it's a toss up between the Ultrasone HFI-780s paired with the Fiio E7 amp or the Beyerdynamic T50Ps. But I'm still reading up on all the recommendations in here and getting as much information as I can!
Thanks a lot for the replies.post #19 of 274/15/11 at 4:01amThread Starter
@vladimirK702 I think the sound of the K181 DJs wouldn't be what I want. Usually AKGs are known for their clarity and neutral reproduction (at the ones I know/have heard are) and that's more what I am going for than the heavier bass, much more coloured sound that it looks like the K181s have. Not to say they would be bad headphones but they're not what I'm looking for!post #20 of 274/15/11 at 4:53am
They are selling for like £80 but can't post the discount price on their website, you have to ring them I think to get that price. Usually £120.post #21 of 274/15/11 at 5:05am
another option is Yuin G1A. They are the best portables, I've had. I have had a lot of headphones, that was better, but indeed less portable. The G1a is very handy. I couldn't get along with the clip-on system, but I just buy 2$ headphones from the 1980's on amazon, that share the same clip system - and it works out allright. This picture is of the G2a (50$ bang-for-the-buck), but i recommand the G1a - 150 ohm, so it needs a good player or an amp.post #22 of 274/15/11 at 5:16am
Quote:Originally Posted by FragmentedGod
Thanks for the suggestion, I just think they're too expensive. If I was to get something like that then I wouldn't have the money to get the Fiio E7. I'm really hoping to find something comparable for closer to the £150 mark so I'd have the extra left over to pick up that headphone amp.
Is the premium in cost just because they're more portable? How do they compare to the other headphones I listed?
I'm not ruling anything out yet!
If you are looking to save on headphones because you want to save for an amp, maybe you hsould re-think the idea. Maybe get good headphones and then see if you actually need an amp and if you decide you do, save for some time to buy one.post #23 of 274/15/11 at 5:30ampost #24 of 274/15/11 at 6:28amThread Starter
@librarian Thanks, I've had a look at those and they sound pretty good but (and I hadn't really thought about it until looking at those) I know that I don't want clip-ons.
@Szadzik I've been having the same thoughts! My budget is about the same as the cost of the Beyer T50Ps, including an Fiio E7 amp, but in the long term it does make more sense to get a better pair of headphones that I know will last and intend to keep (hence build quality being a concern). At the moment I'm really leaning towards those Beyers and I can't imagine I would be disappointed.post #25 of 274/15/11 at 10:03ampost #26 of 274/15/11 at 10:48ampost #27 of 274/17/11 at 3:08amThread Starter
I looked into the Denon HP700 and the ATH-ESW9 and I think they'd both be good. Way too many out there to choose from! My preference is definitely for good sound quality and clarity, especially in the trebles, so I think at this point I'm going to go for the Beyer T50Ps. I think they'll do exactly what I want. And then in the future I can invest in a good portable amp to go with them (from the sound of it something that brings out the mids more).
Thanks so much for all the help guys.
- Portable headphone recommendations under £150
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Need help picking bass heavy IEM's ~$70 CAD 1 minute ago
- › fs: sennheiser hd650 1 minute ago
- › Philips Fidelio X2?! 2 minutes ago
- › AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Sony MDR-1000X 3 minutes ago
- › The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA... 4 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Upcoming DAP from xDuoo - the X10! 6 minutes ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 8 minutes ago
- › [REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2 & 2.5 (with many comparisons) 8 minutes ago
- › MEE audio M9B Bluetooth Wireless Noise-Isolating In-Ear Stereo... by B9Scrambler
- › RHA CL1 Ceramic by Takeanidea
- › Parasound Zpre zone preamplifier by snellemin
- › Campfire Audio Vega by Jackpot77
- › EarSonics Velvet by SeeSax
- › Tony Bennett TBSE1 Signature Edition Headphone - Black/Silver by DJ The Rocket
- › Accutone Pisces Digital In-Ear Headset - Retail Packaging -... by mark2410
- › InEar ProPhile 8 by bartzky
- › Beats Solo3 Wireless On-Ear Headphone - Black by MICHAELSD
- › Campfire Audio Andromeda by flinkenick
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear