Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Review: Spiral Ear SE 5-way Reference - A new level of resolution? (Review posted 5/15/12)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Review: Spiral Ear SE 5-way Reference - A new level of resolution? (Review posted 5/15/12) - Page 131

post #1951 of 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverEars View Post
 

Just got a set of Stax Lambda pros too.  :D  I'm thinking about getting rid of my HE-6 now, although they are the best cans I've heard(I'm lucky I have something to drive them).

 

I'm just curious about the 5-way, 5 bore design.  I didn't expect too much from my V3 I purchased.  I like the custom fit, that's why I got those.  I'm still on the look out for the TOTL customs, and looks like SE5 could be it.  It would be nice to demo it, but I don't live in Poland is the problem, and big problem is they don't ship to USA. :(

 

You're not making it easy for me Spiral Ears!

 

Why not just get a tralucent ref. 1? Early impressions are extremely positive :)

(and based on sound aspects you value, I truly believe you'll love the nt6 pro's)


Edited by zachchen1996 - 5/10/14 at 12:12pm
post #1952 of 2020

I got questions for you guys.....

 

I live in California

 

So I contacted Gregorz and he recommended forward2me.com

 

is it a trustworthy forwarding company?

 

How long does SE5way usually take to make?

post #1953 of 2020

I don't know the forward2me service but if Grzegorz suggested that I would trust it.

 

Turn around time is usually extremely short, I waited only 5 working days when Grzegorz received my ear impressions. However it also depends on how busy Grzegorz is too, obviously if he has a lot of customers waiting in the line, turn around time can be longer than 1-2 weeks. It is better to ask him I guess.

post #1954 of 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberOzL View Post

I don't know the forward2me service but if Grzegorz suggested that I would trust it.

Turn around time is usually extremely short, I waited only 5 working days when Grzegorz received my ear impressions. However it also depends on how busy Grzegorz is too, obviously if he has a lot of customers waiting in the line, turn around time can be longer than 1-2 weeks. It is better to ask him I guess.

Thank you so much for the reply

Do you like your se5way?
Is the amount of bass to your liking?
post #1955 of 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by masteryd View Post


Thank you so much for the reply

Do you like your se5way?
Is the amount of bass to your liking?

The bass is awesome, both quality and quantity but my view on SE5way would be useless for the moment as I am having fit issues. Once it is solved, I can make a better comment. I would leave other users to answer your question, it would be more fair rather than my view.

 

What I can say is, if it works properly as it is supposed to, I think you will stop looking at other ciems. That's the top point.

post #1956 of 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by masteryd View Post
 

I live in California

So I contacted Gregorz and he recommended forward2me.com

is it a trustworthy forwarding company?

 

That's the forwarding service I used to get my SE 5-way.

post #1957 of 2020
I asked about this tupac0306 and he said no, but is there someone who thinks that 5way is a little dark? For example, I consider FiiO X5 on 2.0 firmware as a little dark DAP.
post #1958 of 2020

I think that depends on whether the tweeters are working or not. Apparently his pair is functioning perfectly.

post #1959 of 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by shakur1996 View Post

I asked about this tupac0306 and he said no, but is there someone who thinks that 5way is a little dark? For example, I consider FiiO X5 on 2.0 firmware as a little dark DAP.

SE5 is on the warmer side of neutral, so on some bad mixed songs (especially lack of treble extension), there is a possibility that SE5 sounding a little dark. However it's transparency and airiness is just so great, which complements the warmth a lot.

 

But it is what it is, I can't argue with people who prefer brighter sound signature says SE5 sounds a bit dark and organic.


Edited by tupac0306 - 5/12/14 at 7:54am
post #1960 of 2020

I prefer warmer and smooth signatures, so I guess it is perfect for me :happy_face1: Can't wait to receive my remolded monitors back. I miss them quite a lot.

post #1961 of 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by tupac0306 View Post
 

SE5 is on the warmer side of neutral, so on some bad mixed songs (especially lack of treble extension), there is a possibility that SE5 sounding a little dark. However it's transparency and airiness is just so great, which complements the warmth a lot.

 

But it is what it is, I can't argue with people who prefer brighter sound signature says SE5 sounds a bit dark and organic.

 

I tend to find a signature to be dark when the bass is prominent without the treble and mids being in balance with that bass. The SE5 is not dark IMO. I do not consider warm to be dark either (kinda depends on the extreme of the warmth :P). The SE5 has a slight warmth to it, at least my pair does. It is definitely transparent and airy but I don't consider it extremely airy such as on the 1Plus2 or the Flat 4 Sui. The sound is thicker on the SE5 and due to that more together. Not in a bad way though.

 

I'd liken the SE5 signature to the Fiio X5 in a sense. I don't consider the X5 to be dark either. Definitely a bit of warmth but in no means dark. But if you are really use to very bright signature I guess I could see that. Then again coming from 1Plus2 and Flat 4 Sui I still don't see it :P.

 

Heck, on the stock cable I was finding the SE5 to be lacking just a bit on bass quantity for my tastes. This was also track dependent and I'd find myself using bass boost on the Triad L3. The mids were a tad strident and extremely revealing as well depending on the tracks. The gold cable gave me lusher mids, a more textured and organic bass. The sound staging more 3D with more depth. Smoother treble.


Edited by lee730 - 5/12/14 at 12:00pm
post #1962 of 2020
Tupac0306, lee730 thanks for sharing. I guess everything depends what our ears like. I don't consider myself asliking overly bright sound. As I said X5 is a tad too dark for me (I can say when player/headphones are dark but I have a hard time to define warmth; I think I'm catching the idea of sweet vocals but not warmth of other instruments). For example Etymotic ER4s was a little too bright for me although if I had to indicate whether there is more darkness to X5 sound or brigthness to Etys sound I would say that X5 far from neutrality in comparison to Etys.
Ahh...decisions, I have another thing to consider
post #1963 of 2020

Btw guys, if I want to keep the warm and organic rich sound and add a little bit of bass presence and quantity, what kind of cable I should go for? I think I should stay away from silver as all I read that they make the monitors sound slightly brighter. I guess silver puts some emphasis on treble range.

post #1964 of 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberOzL View Post
 

Btw guys, if I want to keep the warm and organic rich sound and add a little bit of bass presence and quantity, what kind of cable I should go for? I think I should stay away from silver as all I read that they make the monitors sound slightly brighter. I guess silver puts some emphasis on treble range.

I think a thick copper cable would be the best. Probably an eight-conductor or less. :) I am using a silver poison from Toxic-Cable, pretty good.

post #1965 of 2020

How does silver affect the treble flaco? I think I would go for some high quality copper or hybrid maybe.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Review: Spiral Ear SE 5-way Reference - A new level of resolution? (Review posted 5/15/12)