Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Review: Spiral Ear SE 5-way Reference - A new level of resolution? (Review posted 5/15/12)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Review: Spiral Ear SE 5-way Reference - A new level of resolution? (Review posted 5/15/12) - Page 93

post #1381 of 1982

From my experience sometimes the CIEM "dent" is not in the right place or not deep enough.. It can be irritating after a while when it keeps pressing that part of the ear (see picture).

 

post #1382 of 1982

Yep that's one area of it. Even the 8As gave me pain in this area after long usage (but this was generally after 4 hours of usage). The thing is it's tucked under neath that area. So it's not like I can make it fit any better than it already is. Just the fact that it's rubbing up on this area and partially below that causes me pain. Lets say it's enough pain to give me a headache. So I'm not sure what to do... :(


Funny thing is my right ear is fine...
 


Edited by lee730 - 8/30/13 at 3:18am
post #1383 of 1982

you can always use over-ears or on-ears headphones..

post #1384 of 1982
Quote:
Originally Posted by DairyProduce View Post

you can always use over-ears or on-ears headphones..


I'm not into over ear or on ear headphones. Simply too inconvenient for my needs and generally don't return enough on sound quality to warrant those inconveniences. I also use universal IEMs which I don't have issues with :).

post #1385 of 1982

I see! Yeah a lot of universals won't be in contact with that part of your ear.

post #1386 of 1982
Quote:
Originally Posted by DairyProduce View Post

I see! Yeah a lot of universals won't be in contact with that part of your ear.


I'm actually trying something different now and hope that helps. Instead of tucking my ear lobe under neath the IEM which grips it I'm just letting it rest as is. This may have solved that issue. Never though to do that before. Always though it needed to be locked in to achieve a seal. redface.gif Just looking at that picture of that persons ears my ears are quite different from that. She/he doesn't have a slap where it could gripe the IEM from the top lol. Mine does. That's where the pain was coming into play.


Edited by lee730 - 8/30/13 at 4:05am
post #1387 of 1982

so do you like the sound of these Lee? how do they compare to the 8a?

post #1388 of 1982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrican2 View Post

so do you like the sound of these Lee? how do they compare to the 8a?

 

To put it quite frank the 8A doesn't compare IMO. They are on different levels of audio quality. Heir probably does have the edge on potential build. Then again it's hard to even say that with how nice the SE5 has come out. It's like an alien creation. Build quality of these is top notch.

 

The SE5 has it outclassed in bass quality, control (this is major for me), treble extension, sound staging (mids don't sound congested and cluttered), resolution, micro-detailing, etc. If you were to compare them directly the 8A would make the SE5 sound neutral. Which the SE5s approach on sound is relatively in that direction with a slight emphasis on its mids and bass. The 8A really takes its approach on bass to the extreme (at least my pair did). Beats had nothing on the 8As evil_smiley.gif.


Edited by lee730 - 8/30/13 at 4:19am
post #1389 of 1982
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post

 

To put it quite frank the 8A doesn't compare IMO. They are on different levels of audio quality. Heir probably does have the edge on potential build. Then again it's hard to even say that with how nice the SE5 has come out. It's like an alien creation. Build quality of these is top notch.

 

The SE5 has it outclassed in bass quality, control (this is major for me). Treble extension, sound staging (mids don't sound congested and cluttered). If you were to compare them directly the 8A would make the SE5 sound neutral. Which the SE5s approach on sound is relatively in that direction with a slight emphasis on its mids and bass. The 8A really takes its approach on bass to the extreme.

good to hear, that's my kind of sound sig.  I plan to buy a pair real soon.

post #1390 of 1982
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post

To put it quite frank the 8A doesn't compare IMO. They are on different levels of audio quality. Heir probably does have the edge on potential build. Then again it's hard to even say that with how nice the SE5 has come out. It's like an alien creation. Build quality of these is top notch.

The SE5 has it outclassed in bass quality, control (this is major for me), treble extension, sound staging (mids don't sound congested and cluttered), resolution, micro-detailing, etc. If you were to compare them directly the 8A would make the SE5 sound neutral. Which the SE5s approach on sound is relatively in that direction with a slight emphasis on its mids and bass. The 8A really takes its approach on bass to the extreme (at least my pair did). Beats had nothing on the 8As evil_smiley.gif .
So apart from fit, does it match your expectations in terms of SQ.
post #1391 of 1982

It is good to hear that Lee, you got your pair and already started to love the sound. I am sad though, you have some pain.

 

FYI, I never felt any pain or something, so maybe your ears are sensitive I don't know. Looking forward to read your further impressions.

 

Would you mind putting a photo or two here?

post #1392 of 1982
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post

Yep that's one area of it. Even the 8As gave me pain in this area after long usage (but this was generally after 4 hours of usage). The thing is it's tucked under neath that area. So it's not like I can make it fit any better than it already is. Just the fact that it's rubbing up on this area and partially below that causes me pain. Lets say it's enough pain to give me a headache. So I'm not sure what to do... :(


Funny thing is my right ear is fine...
 

 

Ideally custom iem should sit inside that area, but some ears are just too small to fit everything so I got a some kind of a "dent" on my ciem to have a perfect fit. Probably your ear is big enough to fit everything inside but apparently the ciem is just a little bit too big so the stress is too hard on your ear. I had the same problem with my first ES3X. I got a sore ear after 2-3 hours of use. The solution was to make the IEM even bigger but with a dent on the top area.

 

post #1393 of 1982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzyfi View Post

 

Ideally custom iem should sit inside that area, but some ears are just too small to fit everything so I got a some kind of a "dent" on my ciem to have a perfect fit. Probably your ear is big enough to fit everything inside but apparently the ciem is just a little bit too big so the stress is too hard on your ear. I had the same problem with my first ES3X. I got a sore ear after 2-3 hours of use. The solution was to make the IEM even bigger but with a dent on the top area.

 

Here's some pics of my SE5. I know what you mean by that little dip at the top. My 8As had that as well. The SE5 has a very small dip but really not much at all compared to the 8A in that same area. My right ear is completely fine though. Just the left ear causes pain. I mean when pulling them out is the worst. :( Almost feels like my ears are gonna bleed lol.

 

 

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimouille View Post


So apart from fit, does it match your expectations in terms of SQ.

 

I'm still out on that Mimou. I'll have to get over the novelty phase as well as burn them in. But so far I'm pretty impressed with the sound. Just the fit is not helping the matter :(.


Edited by lee730 - 8/30/13 at 1:00pm
post #1394 of 1982

You liked the sound, that's one big step already. If your fit problems are really so bad, you can always choose the painful method and send them for a refit and eventually get your ''perfect'' product. The painful part is always waiting and doing that transfer system. It will cost you some time.

 

The pictures look awesome btw, I am happy with my transparent earpieces but those dark ones have their own charm. Your ear canal is a lot bigger than mine.

post #1395 of 1982
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberOzL View Post

You liked the sound, that's one big step already. If your fit problems are really so bad, you can always choose the painful method and send them for a refit and eventually get your ''perfect'' product. The painful part is always waiting and doing that transfer system. It will cost you some time.

 

The pictures look awesome btw, I am happy with my transparent earpieces but those dark ones have their own charm. Your ear canal is a lot bigger than mine.

 

Yea depending on if this continues I'll go to my audiologist request she remake my impressions free of charge since I had fit issues and hopefully can just ship directly to Grzegorz this time and have him do the same. I figure as long as the item has tracking (with signature even) things should be fine.

 

This photo was courtesy of tupac next to his black SE5 :).

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Review: Spiral Ear SE 5-way Reference - A new level of resolution? (Review posted 5/15/12)