Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Review & Appreciation: Spiral Ear SE 5-way Reference - A new level of resolution? (Review posted 5/15/12)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Review & Appreciation: Spiral Ear SE 5-way Reference - A new level of resolution? (Review posted... - Page 132

post #1966 of 1982
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberOzL View Post
 

How does silver affect the treble flaco? I think I would go for some high quality copper or hybrid maybe.

The treble is thinner and extended. I don't know if this is caused by the cable but on some tracks its so thin, almost harsh.

For example while listening to the newest album of Echaskech, it sounds insanely good with the SE5's.

You need to try that album in lossless, of course, good source and amplification is obligatory.

post #1967 of 1982

From my experience, silver/copper, or copper alone will add a little presence of bass. But it still depends on the pairing. 

post #1968 of 1982

Ok I think I will get copper or silver/copper hybrid then. Thanks for the suggestion guys.

post #1969 of 1982
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberOzL View Post
 

Ok I think I will get copper or silver/copper hybrid then. Thanks for the suggestion guys.

Or just buy an ZX1 :), you cann add as much bass as you want and with the latest firmware the sound became a lot cleaner. IMO even better with the SE5's, the mids got fixed more or less.

post #1970 of 1982

Well, the fixed 128 gb storage is not my cup of tea honestly. I will hold my dap purchase as I spent my money on other things nowadays, I will see the next gen. daps and decide what to get. In the meantime, oldies but goldies will serve me.

post #1971 of 1982
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberOzL View Post
 

Well, the fixed 128 gb storage is not my cup of tea honestly. I will hold my dap purchase as I spent my money on other things nowadays, I will see the next gen. daps and decide what to get. In the meantime, oldies but goldies will serve me.

Well then don't expect to much in sound quality, usability is another thing. My eyes are one the Calyx M right now. I have the feeling that it'll be a pretty good DAP.

post #1972 of 1982
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaco View Post
 

Well then don't expect to much in sound quality, usability is another thing. My eyes are one the Calyx M right now. I have the feeling that it'll be a pretty good DAP.


We shall wait and see ;)

post #1973 of 1982
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaco View Post

Well then don't expect to much in sound quality, usability is another thing. My eyes are one the Calyx M right now. I have the feeling that it'll be a pretty good DAP.
I gave up on the Calyx...apparently darker than 901, AK120 or X3? Will not pair well with SE5.
post #1974 of 1982

I heard it is rather mechanical sounding... So it is dark?

post #1975 of 1982
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post
 

I heard it is rather mechanical sounding... So it is dark?

There are different opinions about it's signature, some say thick other say quite bright. I'll wait till an official review comes out. Regarding the size, Calyx didn't save on components. 

post #1976 of 1982

So how silver/gold cable will improve overall sound from stock SE5 one? 

Plus, does balanced versions (for AK240) are really worth the price? 

Is there anyone using such a configuration?

post #1977 of 1982

Well it  could depend on how the silver-gold cable is manufactured as well. I am using Tralucent older gold cable which sounds quite different than the new version. I like how it sounds on the SE5. It pretty much takes the SE5s approach on music and makes it more natural, with more depth to the sound staging. Lusher mid range, with more textured bass. Treble is smoother.

post #1978 of 1982

So what kind of cable i should look at to get some "sparkle", smoth mids and open soundstage more? Silver, silver/copper, silver gold? (with 2.5 TRRS connector). 

post #1979 of 1982
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawrym View Post
 

So what kind of cable i should look at to get some "sparkle", smoth mids and open soundstage more? Silver, silver/copper, silver gold? (with 2.5 TRRS connector). 


Do you already have the SE5? Do you feel it lacks "sparkle"? If you do, you should consider changing source, ZX1 or AK240 could work. Otherwise silver is supposed to push towards what you are looking for, but there are better ways to spend money to improve sound than cables...

post #1980 of 1982

Silver probably will help along with a brighter source. But the SE5 itself with its thick signature really isn't meant to be very sparkly to begin with. Not next to other IEMs I've heard at least.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Review & Appreciation: Spiral Ear SE 5-way Reference - A new level of resolution? (Review posted 5/15/12)