Me too! Only weeks now!
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by System, 6/9/11
- brandCavalli Audiotagged by System, 5/13/11
- productCavalli Audio Liquid Firetagged by System, 3/7/13
- productDenon AHD2000 High Performance Over-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 6/9/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 4/15/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 4/15/11
- categoryPortable Ampstagged by System, 4/15/11
Related Forum Threads
- Is the SA-71A enough to power the LCD-2 or the HE-500? Last post on 9/9/11 at 8:26am in Headphones (full-size)
- Need portable amp with Sennheiser HD650. Need Advice Last post on 8/28/11 at 11:01pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Which is more fun? Last post on 8/19/11 at 4:34am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Headphones for Fiio E7 + E9 Last post on 6/14/11 at 4:55pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Portable amp for LCD2 Last post on 5/12/14 at 7:39pm in Portable Headphone Amps
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 7/11/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 7/10/14
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
Bought the active noise cancelling version of these as a daily deal on Amazon for <$20. Active noise cancelling completely broken on both my original unit and the replacement - so on one hand...
Thanks to Oppo Digital Japan for allowing us to borrow the PM-1 and HA-1. Oppo coming out with a pair of headphones was quite a surprised, especially a pair of planars. Likewise the HA-1,...
Brainwavs are at it again with their new 10mm dynamic driver based IEM named "S5". I must say I was intrigued to try the new sample and where they'd come from Brainwavs B2 I owned many months...
A decade ago; I had bought into the crappy Logitech Bluetooth devices which I swore NEVER to buy again deeming it a bad technology. Ten years later; I now needed an in wireless in-ear device for...
I was looking for a cheap and cheerful, fun sounding closed can for listening at my computer at work and some limited portable use. I typically listen to EDM in this setting and had been using the...
Cavalli Audio Liquid Fire is finally here - Page 2post #16 of 3495/4/11 at 6:11pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 3495/5/11 at 9:37ampost #18 of 3495/5/11 at 10:13ampost #19 of 3495/5/11 at 10:14amQuote:Do you happen to know Alex's views on balanced drive, if he doesn't believe balanced drive is worth it, or that we just won't see a balanced version of the LF?
The LF was designed as a SE architecture. Any benefits from a balanced signal would be more than offset by the issues it would create WRT attenuation, feedback, etc and they could have negative effects on the sound signature. The LF, even as a SE amp, has more than enough gain and power to drive any commercially available headphone on the market including the HE5/HE5LE/HE6 orthos. The HE6 is notorious for being extremely power hungry and difficult to drive. The reports from the Austin meet concurred that the LF was more than capable of driving the HE6s.
AC is not opposed to balanced signals or balanced architecture when it's warranted, his eXStatA 'stat amp design is a balanced architecture. But doubling the component count, complexity, and cost for an application where it isn't needed doesn't make sense and I think that is his thought as well.
I built his Liquid Gold prototype as a balanced amp and I have since split it up into two separate SE amps. Even in SE, it has plenty of speed and power to drive my heavily damped, modded orthos and I'm punishing it as a desktop speaker amp as well, just to further torture test it.
Edited by BoilermakerFan - 5/5/11 at 10:18ampost #20 of 3495/5/11 at 10:23am
laghs at HE-6 being power hungry. Its very efficient compared to the wharfies :P
The LF does just fine with the wharfies and having heard the HE-6 with the LF, its an easy load relatively.
And I echo what BMF says above, use balanced where it makes sense not just for the sake of saying you got "balanced" components.
A balanced amp for dynamics and orthos makes no sense to me, unless the amp has insufficient power in SE mode or you need tons of voltage swing to drive say electrets or piezo based headphones.
For an electrostat amp, yeah balanced is the way to go, unless you can design a good single ended to differential input stage ( like he one available on LF by the way!!).post #21 of 3495/18/11 at 1:48pmpost #22 of 3496/2/11 at 10:12ampost #23 of 3496/2/11 at 10:27ampost #24 of 3496/2/11 at 12:32pm
Still waiting for mine too. The delay is in the enclosure which was changed for better ventilation. The quality control for it is another step so we are looking at middle end of June. Also I believe the switches were taking longer too.post #25 of 3496/2/11 at 2:17pmpost #26 of 3496/2/11 at 3:23pmpost #27 of 3496/2/11 at 3:26pmpost #28 of 3496/2/11 at 4:03pm
I will post up a review as soon as I get mine. Of course it will need to break-in. I'll give my initial impressions the later a review and compare it with my Woo WA22.post #29 of 3496/2/11 at 4:32pm
There is the full review from Tom Martin that's supposed to come out as well going by The Audio Beat's posting. Then again i personally don't need to read the reviews to know what this amp is capable of having heard it on numerous occasions, but i can see how you guys are looking forward to reading proper full fledged reviews as audiophiles like that sorta thing :)
- Cavalli Audio Liquid Fire is finally here
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up! 1 minute ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 2 minutes ago
- › Creative Aurvana Live! Vs Sennheiser HD558? 2 minutes ago
- › It's June 2014 and I am waiting for OPPO PM-2 Availability 3 minutes ago
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 3 minutes ago
- › iBasso DX90. Dual Sabre, 1st page to reformat latest FW download &... 3 minutes ago
- › New from Garage1217, the solid-state Project Polaris! 3 minutes ago
- › Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent. 5 minutes ago
- › NOOB: DAC-AMP Recommendations under $350 5 minutes ago
- › Name our latest soon to be released product from ROCK JAW 6 minutes ago
- › Phiaton PS 20 Half In-Ear Premium Earphone (Glossy Black) by DrikTheTroll
- › Oppo HA-1 Integrated Headphone DAC and Amplifier. by Currawong
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by H20Fidelity
- › JayBird BlueBuds X Sport Bluetooth Headphones - Midnight Black by wpfloridian
- › Yamaha PRO 500 by VanCitySound
- › Creative Sound Blaster Z Series ZXR (70SB151000000) Sound Card by Nada190
- › ASUS Essence STX II by raymond555
- › iFi Nano iDSD by elmura
- › AKG K267 by Blinxat
- › AKG K490 NC by MP3guy
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)