Me too! Only weeks now!
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by System, 6/9/11
- brandCavalli Audiotagged by System, 5/13/11
- productCavalli Audio Liquid Firetagged by System, 3/7/13
- productDenon AHD2000 High Performance Over-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 6/9/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 4/15/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 4/15/11
- categoryPortable Ampstagged by System, 4/15/11
Related Forum Threads
- Is the SA-71A enough to power the LCD-2 or the HE-500? Last post on 9/9/11 at 8:26am in Headphones (full-size)
- Need portable amp with Sennheiser HD650. Need Advice Last post on 8/28/11 at 11:01pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Which is more fun? Last post on 8/19/11 at 4:34am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Headphones for Fiio E7 + E9 Last post on 6/14/11 at 4:55pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Portable amp for LCD2 Last post on 10/9/14 at 2:58pm in Portable Headphone Amps
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 11/30/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/4/15
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
This review is for someone looking for a good pair of in-ear headphones after using over-ear phones; that's the situation where I am coming from at least, as I have been using Sennheiser's HD598...
I was excited to be approached by world famous cable artisan company 'Effect Audio' and asked me to provide a review of their recently released Ares II + Plus Edition IEM cable. This cable is...
This is my second attempt at using a portable amp (I returned my Fiio E12A for this). That was a good decision. The Cayin C5 is an absolute powerhouse. It can power IEM's and earbuds...
Introduction/Disclaimer I was given this sample in exchange for my honest opinion and impressions. I would especially like to thank Kathryn for getting in touch for purpose of this review. I...
I've become a big fan of wireless headphones over the years with aptx codec, bluetooth 4.0 technology, and li-ion batteries becoming the standard. This allows more of the battery to be dedicated to...
Cavalli Audio Liquid Fire is finally here - Page 2post #16 of 3495/4/11 at 6:11pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 3495/5/11 at 9:37ampost #18 of 3495/5/11 at 10:13ampost #19 of 3495/5/11 at 10:14amQuote:Do you happen to know Alex's views on balanced drive, if he doesn't believe balanced drive is worth it, or that we just won't see a balanced version of the LF?
The LF was designed as a SE architecture. Any benefits from a balanced signal would be more than offset by the issues it would create WRT attenuation, feedback, etc and they could have negative effects on the sound signature. The LF, even as a SE amp, has more than enough gain and power to drive any commercially available headphone on the market including the HE5/HE5LE/HE6 orthos. The HE6 is notorious for being extremely power hungry and difficult to drive. The reports from the Austin meet concurred that the LF was more than capable of driving the HE6s.
AC is not opposed to balanced signals or balanced architecture when it's warranted, his eXStatA 'stat amp design is a balanced architecture. But doubling the component count, complexity, and cost for an application where it isn't needed doesn't make sense and I think that is his thought as well.
I built his Liquid Gold prototype as a balanced amp and I have since split it up into two separate SE amps. Even in SE, it has plenty of speed and power to drive my heavily damped, modded orthos and I'm punishing it as a desktop speaker amp as well, just to further torture test it.
Edited by BoilermakerFan - 5/5/11 at 10:18ampost #20 of 3495/5/11 at 10:23am
laghs at HE-6 being power hungry. Its very efficient compared to the wharfies :P
The LF does just fine with the wharfies and having heard the HE-6 with the LF, its an easy load relatively.
And I echo what BMF says above, use balanced where it makes sense not just for the sake of saying you got "balanced" components.
A balanced amp for dynamics and orthos makes no sense to me, unless the amp has insufficient power in SE mode or you need tons of voltage swing to drive say electrets or piezo based headphones.
For an electrostat amp, yeah balanced is the way to go, unless you can design a good single ended to differential input stage ( like he one available on LF by the way!!).post #21 of 3495/18/11 at 1:48pmpost #22 of 3496/2/11 at 10:12ampost #23 of 3496/2/11 at 10:27ampost #24 of 3496/2/11 at 12:32pm
Still waiting for mine too. The delay is in the enclosure which was changed for better ventilation. The quality control for it is another step so we are looking at middle end of June. Also I believe the switches were taking longer too.post #25 of 3496/2/11 at 2:17pmpost #26 of 3496/2/11 at 3:23pmpost #27 of 3496/2/11 at 3:26pmpost #28 of 3496/2/11 at 4:03pm
I will post up a review as soon as I get mine. Of course it will need to break-in. I'll give my initial impressions the later a review and compare it with my Woo WA22.post #29 of 3496/2/11 at 4:32pm
There is the full review from Tom Martin that's supposed to come out as well going by The Audio Beat's posting. Then again i personally don't need to read the reviews to know what this amp is capable of having heard it on numerous occasions, but i can see how you guys are looking forward to reading proper full fledged reviews as audiophiles like that sorta thing :)
- Cavalli Audio Liquid Fire is finally here
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz) 55 seconds ago
- › 2359glenn | studio 2 minutes ago
- › Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit 2 minutes ago
- › Beyerdynamic T1 - Completely Unimpressed 2 minutes ago
- › New Burson Conductor - V2 and V2+ 4 minutes ago
- › Focal Elear and Utopia Launch (With Impressions) - Head-Fi TV 5 minutes ago
- › Crack;Bottlehead OTL 8 minutes ago
- › Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide 10 minutes ago
- › Vibro Labs Introduction, USA tour, and Head-Fi discount! 11 minutes ago
- › Bose QC35 Wireless Noise-Cancelling Headphones 12 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser IE80 by AnssiRai
- › Effect Audio Ares II + Plus Edition IEM cable by sonickarma
- › Cayin C5 Portable HIFI Audio Headphone Amplifier by Tayyab Pirzada
- › Edifier S1000DB Audiophile Active Bookshelf Speakers - Bluetooth... by dnun8086
- › Sennheiser Momentum Wireless Over Ear Headphones by Llloyd
- › Simaudio 230HAD by sheldaze
- › FiiO L9 L-Shaped Line Out Dock (LOD) Cable For iPod and iPhone by ryanjsoo
- › Espressivo-E by Feliks Audio by thatonenoob
- › B&O Beoplay H6 (2nd generation) by istirsin
- › ONKYO A800 50mm Open Back Headphone by Sonic Defender
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...