I'm new to the Head Fi world. I have an Iphone 4 with Apple lossless files. I'm in the process of getting my triplefi 10's remolded by fisher audio. I am beginning the process of trying to find an external amp so i can use it when i'm on my commute to work. So light weight and small package is a requirement. I've narrowed down the selection to either a Pico Slim or an amp from RSA. I originally thought about the Shadow, however Ray Samuels also recommended the SR-71A. I'm not looking to move onto balanced headphones, and the amp will only be used as an amp. Since i'm using this as a portable amp, i do not have music files on my work PC. I was wondering if there were any other amps i was missing from the equation and should consider any other amps. My budget is around the Pico Slim, however i do not mind paying a small amount more for better quality. i want to purchase one amp and not regret the decision.
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 4/12/11
- categoryIn Eartagged by System, 4/12/11
- categoryPortable Ampstagged by System, 4/12/11
- productRay Samuels Audio Emmeline SR-71B Balanced Amptagged by System, 4/12/11
- productRay Samuels P-51 Mustangtagged by System, 4/12/11
- productRay Samuels THE SHADOWtagged by System, 4/12/11
- productUltimate Ears Triple.fi 10 Pro Earphones Gun Metal Blue with Roadie Casetagged by System, 4/12/11
Related Forum Threads
- Advice needed: Best non custom earphone option for RSA SR71B Last post on 4/13/11 at 1:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Looking for a portable amp, neutral, under $200, for Westone 4 with MacBook/iPhone 4 Last post on 4/9/11 at 11:46am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Review: Leckerton UHA-6 Last post on 2/26/11 at 7:24am in Portable Headphone Amps
- rsa sr71a vs mustang p51 vs shadow Last post on 2/10/11 at 6:09pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Hey! I use D50 run with D5000 but I'm not satisfied the sound now i wanna use a portable... Last post on 1/26/11 at 6:34am in Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)
Last edited: 12/22/15
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationLast edited: 6/22/16
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
As a music lover who prefers a portable means of listening to music, you might eventually discover that your device can't provide enough power for your IEMs, headphones, or earphones to reach...
Greetings Head-fi! Today we are going to be checking out the Mixcder ShareMe Pro, a Bluetooth headphone created with the aim of bringing listeners together. I was first introduced to...
Preamble: Before I begin with my review, I’d like to take the time to thank Jeongjae from DIGNIS for providing me with a sample of the LAETUS case for the Chord Electronics Mojo DAC-Amp...
Undoubtedly, one of the biggest influences on the audio market was the invention of the operational amplifiers. Compact and inexpensive (mostly) chips allowed to create small and well sounding...
The F7200 is a single balanced armature in ear moniter from the Japanese company Final. Final have been in business since 1974 and in my opinion make some retro looking IEM and full size...
Portable Amp for commuting usepost #1 of 234/10/11 at 3:46pmThread Starter
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #2 of 234/10/11 at 7:51pm
If you're planning on using the Triple.fi 10's the SR-71 is kinda overkill for IEM's. If you see yourself moving on to full sized headphones in the near future then I'd go with the SR-71, but if you plan on staying with the triple.fi's for a while I'd recommend something smaller. The Pico is a good choice, but so are some of Ray's smaller amps as well. I use the P-51 Mustang with the Triple.fi's and I think it sounds pretty amazing. The Tomahawk also comes highly recommended although I think most will say the P-51 and SR-71 have slightly better sound quality. That being said, the Tomahawk runs on AAA's and has like 200 hours of battery life, plus nobody will say the tomahawk has bad sound quality just that it's not quite as amazing as the P-51 and the SR-71.post #3 of 234/10/11 at 7:52pmpost #4 of 234/10/11 at 11:16pm
I'd look into the pico slim and the rsa shadow since they both have 60+ hrs of batt life and are IEM specific amps, and very tiny for commute.
another amp you could probably check out is the just audio uha-120. its gathering steam, and you could give us a solid review on how it sounds =D
I'm considering sizing down my portable rig too, but since I use headphones as well as IEMs, maybe I should stick with what I've got.post #5 of 234/11/11 at 9:20amThread Starterpost #6 of 234/11/11 at 2:51pmpost #7 of 234/11/11 at 3:07pmpost #8 of 234/11/11 at 4:23pmThread Starterpost #9 of 234/11/11 at 4:50pmpost #10 of 234/11/11 at 4:52pm
Also consider getting a "Line Out Dock" (LOD) cable.
This lets you take the music signal straight from dock connector bypassing the iPhone's amp stage. The iPhone's amp is no longer necessary since you'll be controlling volume via the external portable amp. This approach gives a much cleaner sound in my experience.post #11 of 234/11/11 at 5:36pmThread Starterpost #12 of 234/12/11 at 12:33am
I'm in the same boat as you, and the headstage will be my prime choice, but will be pre-ordering the Arrow 4G for June in all likelihood. There's guys on ebay that make make pure silver/ or copper LODs for around $60. As long as the components are the same and they have experience producing cables, you can pick up a cheaper one than the *branded* stuff from the major retailers. Or try DIY yourself if you enjoy a bit of soldering. And then compare with the FiiO.. If you're already spending $300-400 on the amp, might as well get a decent LOD as it doesn't have to be so expensive.post #13 of 234/12/11 at 1:32am
+1 for the Arrow, I just bought one for Etymotic ER-4s I plan on buying when I move into IEM's in a few months.
Ebay seller Ecbuy makes a good lod, if you email them they'll even make custom lengths (up to 9 inches) at no additional cost (last I checked). They use silver plated copper wire.
Edited by Blasto_Brandino - 4/12/11 at 1:33ampost #14 of 234/18/11 at 1:37pmThread Starterpost #15 of 234/18/11 at 2:15pm
This is what I'm going to be using with my arrow with my Ipod, it seems the smallest (smaller than the Fiio, and if it breaks, it can be repaired, unlike the fiio) and best built $40
Edited by Blasto_Brandino - 4/18/11 at 2:19pm
- Portable Amp for commuting use
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › SONY NW-ZX2 DAP 40 seconds ago
- › Chord Mojo - The Official Thread .☆*¨*★. Please READ the 3rd... 41 seconds ago
- › Three Word Story 51 seconds ago
- › NEW SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A FLAGSHIP HI-END DAP!!! 55 seconds ago
- › R2R/multibit vs Delta-Sigma - Is There A Measurable Scientific... 1 minute ago
- › Introducing the new Continental V5 portable tube amp 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Audeze SINE Series 1 minute ago
- › Elekit TU-8200 DX Headphone/Speaker Amp Review 1 minute ago
- › Roll call: Indians staying in India, interested in high end... 3 minutes ago
- › FiiO A1 Micro Headphone Amplifier by chef8489
- › Over Ear Headphones，Mixcder ShareMe Pro Bluetooth 4.1 Stereo HiFi... by B9Scrambler
- › DIGNIS LAETUS case for Chord Electronics Mojo by HiFiChris
- › Burson Audio Supreme Sound Opamp V5i by cleg
- › Final F7200 by Takeanidea
- › Denon Music Maniac In-Ear Headphones (AH-C250) by redeyeguy
- › RHA T20 by RaoulRutnam
- › ampsandsound Agartha Single-Ended Amplifier by Dillan
- › audio-technica ATH-A550Z Art-Monitor Headphones by rickyday
- › Advanced Sound by gprs007
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...