If the HD850 will be to the HD800 what the HD650 is to the HD600, then I think it will be a tremendous success. I hope Senn has begun working on them!
- productbeyerdynamic T50ptagged by System, 4/11/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 4/11/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 4/11/11
- productSennheiser HD 600tagged by System, 4/19/11
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by System, 4/11/11
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by System, 4/11/11
Related Forum Threads
- Senn HD650 or HD600? Last post on 10/16/13 at 3:22am in Headphones (full-size)
- so i just got some K 701's.... Last post on 10/6/11 at 12:57am in Headphones (full-size)
- SHORT REVIEWS: Ok, now I have LCD-2, D7000... what next? Last post on 7/25/12 at 5:13am in Headphones (full-size)
- Are headphones like washing powder? Last post on 9/26/13 at 10:25am in Headphones (full-size)
- "Best" Piano/Classical full-sized headphones for 350$ or less? Last post on 8/11/11 at 10:28pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/4/15
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Unboxing and Packaging The ShareMe 5 arrived in a box that looks similar to the ShareMe Pro, but thicker. The packing inside is slightly nicer looking. The plastic container holding the...
This is my review originally posted on http://www.earphonia.com/2016/10/24/ibasso-it03-review/ I was honoured to be approached by iBasso with their first venture into IEM territory and they...
This is my review originally posted on http://www.earphonia.com/2016/10/24/jomo-samba-pro-audio-ciem-review/ Jomo Audio is a Singapore local company that crafts in ear earphones that sound and...
Elephone Whisper Noise Cancelling Earphone Quick Review by mark2410 Thanks to GearBest for the sample. Full review...
Disclaimer: These headphones were sent to me thanks to the Oppo loaner program. They have since been returned and sent to the next reviewer. Want a headphone that sounds excellent, is easy...
Did HD800 fail? Poll: HD650 or HD800(vote only if you have listened to both) - Page 11
Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
226 Total Votespost #151 of 1784/14/11 at 12:09pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #152 of 1784/14/11 at 12:49pmpost #153 of 1784/14/11 at 3:36pm
Glad i got a pair of 800's before they mess with them to address a few complaints. Must say that i can somewhat relate though when putting on the stock cables again, they get a little bit shrill with silver coated. Guess with the silver and a budget source i may feel the same but with matching they come alive and are actually extremely involving.post #154 of 1784/14/11 at 3:52pm
˄ If the complaints include a shoddy stock cable maybe they will address that? As I've said before if cables make a notable difference you would think headphone manufacturers would incorporate them, especially with their flagship headphones!post #155 of 1784/14/11 at 6:39pmpost #156 of 1784/15/11 at 6:01amQuote:Originally Posted by johnwmclean
I have listened at home for long extended periods with my own equipment the following phones,
K1000 light and bass heavy
With the exception of the HE-6, the HD800 is clearly a higher fidelity headphone. Some people may prefer a phone like the HD650 because they like it's character and sound signature and there's nothing wrong with that. My opinion the HD800 is a BETTER phone sonically, with a clearer window to the live event.
I now have in house the LCD-2, within an hour of listening the HD800 are clearly dethroned.post #157 of 1784/16/11 at 1:42pmQuote:
They were trying to address the constant complaints about the 650s being veiled. Most people, including me, got silver plated cable to open them up. I think Senn was trying to get something that sounded incredibly clear and transparent, which is what they did but with the silver plated cable it just pushed it over the edge for me. I did miss the transparency a bit when i switched over but the rich fullness of sound and the softening of the edge was worth it to me. It also sounded like the bass got a bit more robust. When i go back to stock i like it for the first five minutes for what it is but then go back to my DHC Complements, which are actually pretty thick and heavy but the sound is really sweet.post #158 of 1784/16/11 at 1:54pmQuote:
I thought the HD800 used the same copper cable found on the HD600s?post #159 of 1784/16/11 at 2:28pmpost #160 of 1784/16/11 at 2:37pmQuote:Originally Posted by Uncle ErikQuote:
No, it's quite different. I can't find it now, but I remember reading that Sennheiser put some effort into building a cable that would please cable people. Of course, it gets lumped in as "stock junk," anyway. But if some aftermarket company started selling one just like it for $500, it would get heaps of praise. It is a very nicely made cable and I love how it feels like an antique cloth-wrapped wire.
Specifications for both HD600 and HD800 say Kevlar reinforced, OFC copper cable. Which does sound quite hefty, however I remember reading the HD650 cable was an upgrade for the HD600...
If Sennheiser believe cables make a difference why don't they, or any headphone manufacturer, sell upgrade cables considering how many people feel the need to upgrade? Furthermore if they change the headphone considerably they could sell they same headphone with different cables offering multiple options; i.e. cable 1 for more bass, cable 2 for soundstage, cable 3 for balance and so on... a lot of people skip on the HD800 because it's not bass-driven, this would be a way for them to capture more of the market... if indeed it does make a difference.post #161 of 1784/16/11 at 2:41pmQuote:
...and at 61min you put the Senns up for sale .post #162 of 1784/16/11 at 3:19pm
lol. Yes indeed I have. With the HE-6 I feel it is a side ways step, not as neutral as the HD800, but it does have some nice qualities that are clearly different/preferable with some music. The LCD-2 clearly outlines “the peak” in the HD800, natural sounds are simply more real life, it’s now my strong favourite.post #163 of 1784/16/11 at 4:59pmQuote:Originally Posted by dallan
They were trying to address the constant complaints about the 650s being veiled. Most people, including me, got silver plated cable to open them up. I think Senn was trying to get something that sounded incredibly clear and transparent, which is what they did but with the silver plated cable it just pushed it over the edge for me. I did miss the transparency a bit when i switched over but the rich fullness of sound and the softening of the edge was worth it to me. It also sounded like the bass got a bit more robust. When i go back to stock i like it for the first five minutes for what it is but then go back to my DHC Complements, which are actually pretty thick and heavy but the sound is really sweet.
Well here's where I think a lot of HD800 arguments come from. Clear =/= transparent. More rich fullness can mean more transparency if a headphone is not producing the rich fullness that is in a recording. A sense of clarity can come from coloration, which is not transparent.post #164 of 1784/16/11 at 8:03pmQuote:Originally Posted by rhythmdevils
Well here's where I think a lot of HD800 arguments come from. Clear =/= transparent. More rich fullness can mean more transparency if a headphone is not producing the rich fullness that is in a recording. A sense of clarity can come from coloration, which is not transparent.
i've not heard the HD800, but often 'transparent' sounding rigs sound tonally bleached and pixelated to my ears.post #165 of 1784/16/11 at 8:13pmQuote:
When is the HD850 going to be announced?
Hush your mouth....
I found the LCD-2 with the stock cable to have a hard front edge which made percussion stand out. In fact it put the drums in front of the band in the sound stage.
Also, the notes seemed to lose substance and body.
The Norse Audio 8 conductor cable made the phones a completely different animal. The notes still had the attack, but had body, and the vocal realism gained a far more cohesive prominence.
The treble is still slightly muted, but yet there.
The problem I had with the AT AD2000's I owned was that the midrange was glorious but there was no high end.
The LCD-2 has as good, if not better midrange and the high end could be a couple dB higher, but nothing to complain about.
Edited by wink - 4/16/11 at 8:37pm
- Did HD800 fail? Poll: HD650 or HD800(vote only if you have listened to both)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › Chord Mojo - The Official Thread .☆*¨*★. Please READ the 3rd... 41 seconds ago
- › LG G5, Possible DAC or Camera modules. Audiophiles enjoy ? 52 seconds ago
- › New Koss UR42i! 58 seconds ago
- › Looking for advice on some closed headphones for the office 1 minute ago
- › The Fiio A5 thread: an upgrade of E12A, MUSES02+LME49600, 800mW,... 3 minutes ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 4 minutes ago
- › Three Word Story 7 minutes ago
- › IS THERE 7.1 FROM SONY, sennheiser.Technica FOR HEADPHONE? 12 minutes ago
- › UpTone Audio USB REGEN 13 minutes ago
- › Campfire Audio Nova 14 minutes ago
- › Over Ear Headphone Shareme 4.1 Bluetooth Foldable Headsets with... by pkshiu
- › iBasso IT03 by sonickarma
- › Jomo Audio Samba Pro CIEM by sonickarma
- › Elephone Whisper by mark2410
- › OPPO PM-1 by maxh22
- › iBasso Audio DX80 High Resolution Audio Player by rebbi
- › 1MORE Capsule Dual Driver In-Ear Headphones with In-line Microphone... by B9Scrambler
- › RHA MA750i by High-End-Addict
- › Hidizs AP60 HiFi Mini Bluetooth Lossless MP3 Portable Music Player... by HiFiChris
- › 64 Audio U10 by Brooko
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...