If the HD850 will be to the HD800 what the HD650 is to the HD600, then I think it will be a tremendous success. I hope Senn has begun working on them!
- productbeyerdynamic T50ptagged by System, 4/11/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 4/11/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 4/11/11
- productSennheiser HD 600tagged by System, 4/19/11
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by System, 4/11/11
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by System, 4/11/11
Related Forum Threads
- Senn HD650 or HD600? Last post on 10/16/13 at 3:22am in Headphones (full-size)
- so i just got some K 701's.... Last post on 10/6/11 at 12:57am in Headphones (full-size)
- SHORT REVIEWS: Ok, now I have LCD-2, D7000... what next? Last post on 7/25/12 at 5:13am in Headphones (full-size)
- Are headphones like washing powder? Last post on 9/26/13 at 10:25am in Headphones (full-size)
- "Best" Piano/Classical full-sized headphones for 350$ or less? Last post on 8/11/11 at 10:28pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 12/5/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 11/28/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/8/14
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
I don't claim to be an expert audiophile. More of a wannabe. I do love finding under the radar headphones with good value. I can compare this to a few other bluetooth headsets I have spent some...
Brainwavz M1 Quick Review Thanks to mp4nation back in the day for the sample. Full length old review here http://www.head-fi.org/t/499583/brainwavz-m1-review Brief: Old but...
I have own the Dunu tridents for about 4-5 months, and about a week about, the left ear suddenly stopped working. I left them on my desk for the weekend, no spills, or anything touching them. Now i...
Intro Here is a review of the Audio-Technica CKR10 there are a couple reviews of this model already but the more reviews the better. First I would like to say thank you to Audio-Technica for...
So, a review Woo Audio WA2... I have divided it into some headings, and rated them out of 100. These are my ratings based on my personal opinion. I'm open to comments as well, feel free to voice...
Did HD800 fail? Poll: HD650 or HD800(vote only if you have listened to both) - Page 11
Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
222 Total Votespost #151 of 1784/14/11 at 12:09pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #152 of 1784/14/11 at 12:49pmpost #153 of 1784/14/11 at 3:36pm
Glad i got a pair of 800's before they mess with them to address a few complaints. Must say that i can somewhat relate though when putting on the stock cables again, they get a little bit shrill with silver coated. Guess with the silver and a budget source i may feel the same but with matching they come alive and are actually extremely involving.post #154 of 1784/14/11 at 3:52pm
˄ If the complaints include a shoddy stock cable maybe they will address that? As I've said before if cables make a notable difference you would think headphone manufacturers would incorporate them, especially with their flagship headphones!post #155 of 1784/14/11 at 6:39pmpost #156 of 1784/15/11 at 6:01amQuote:Originally Posted by johnwmclean
I have listened at home for long extended periods with my own equipment the following phones,
K1000 light and bass heavy
With the exception of the HE-6, the HD800 is clearly a higher fidelity headphone. Some people may prefer a phone like the HD650 because they like it's character and sound signature and there's nothing wrong with that. My opinion the HD800 is a BETTER phone sonically, with a clearer window to the live event.
I now have in house the LCD-2, within an hour of listening the HD800 are clearly dethroned.post #157 of 1784/16/11 at 1:42pmQuote:
They were trying to address the constant complaints about the 650s being veiled. Most people, including me, got silver plated cable to open them up. I think Senn was trying to get something that sounded incredibly clear and transparent, which is what they did but with the silver plated cable it just pushed it over the edge for me. I did miss the transparency a bit when i switched over but the rich fullness of sound and the softening of the edge was worth it to me. It also sounded like the bass got a bit more robust. When i go back to stock i like it for the first five minutes for what it is but then go back to my DHC Complements, which are actually pretty thick and heavy but the sound is really sweet.post #158 of 1784/16/11 at 1:54pmQuote:
I thought the HD800 used the same copper cable found on the HD600s?post #159 of 1784/16/11 at 2:28pmpost #160 of 1784/16/11 at 2:37pmQuote:Originally Posted by Uncle ErikQuote:
No, it's quite different. I can't find it now, but I remember reading that Sennheiser put some effort into building a cable that would please cable people. Of course, it gets lumped in as "stock junk," anyway. But if some aftermarket company started selling one just like it for $500, it would get heaps of praise. It is a very nicely made cable and I love how it feels like an antique cloth-wrapped wire.
Specifications for both HD600 and HD800 say Kevlar reinforced, OFC copper cable. Which does sound quite hefty, however I remember reading the HD650 cable was an upgrade for the HD600...
If Sennheiser believe cables make a difference why don't they, or any headphone manufacturer, sell upgrade cables considering how many people feel the need to upgrade? Furthermore if they change the headphone considerably they could sell they same headphone with different cables offering multiple options; i.e. cable 1 for more bass, cable 2 for soundstage, cable 3 for balance and so on... a lot of people skip on the HD800 because it's not bass-driven, this would be a way for them to capture more of the market... if indeed it does make a difference.post #161 of 1784/16/11 at 2:41pmQuote:
...and at 61min you put the Senns up for sale .post #162 of 1784/16/11 at 3:19pm
lol. Yes indeed I have. With the HE-6 I feel it is a side ways step, not as neutral as the HD800, but it does have some nice qualities that are clearly different/preferable with some music. The LCD-2 clearly outlines “the peak” in the HD800, natural sounds are simply more real life, it’s now my strong favourite.post #163 of 1784/16/11 at 4:59pmQuote:Originally Posted by dallan
They were trying to address the constant complaints about the 650s being veiled. Most people, including me, got silver plated cable to open them up. I think Senn was trying to get something that sounded incredibly clear and transparent, which is what they did but with the silver plated cable it just pushed it over the edge for me. I did miss the transparency a bit when i switched over but the rich fullness of sound and the softening of the edge was worth it to me. It also sounded like the bass got a bit more robust. When i go back to stock i like it for the first five minutes for what it is but then go back to my DHC Complements, which are actually pretty thick and heavy but the sound is really sweet.
Well here's where I think a lot of HD800 arguments come from. Clear =/= transparent. More rich fullness can mean more transparency if a headphone is not producing the rich fullness that is in a recording. A sense of clarity can come from coloration, which is not transparent.post #164 of 1784/16/11 at 8:03pmQuote:Originally Posted by rhythmdevils
Well here's where I think a lot of HD800 arguments come from. Clear =/= transparent. More rich fullness can mean more transparency if a headphone is not producing the rich fullness that is in a recording. A sense of clarity can come from coloration, which is not transparent.
i've not heard the HD800, but often 'transparent' sounding rigs sound tonally bleached and pixelated to my ears.post #165 of 1784/16/11 at 8:13pmQuote:
When is the HD850 going to be announced?
Hush your mouth....
I found the LCD-2 with the stock cable to have a hard front edge which made percussion stand out. In fact it put the drums in front of the band in the sound stage.
Also, the notes seemed to lose substance and body.
The Norse Audio 8 conductor cable made the phones a completely different animal. The notes still had the attack, but had body, and the vocal realism gained a far more cohesive prominence.
The treble is still slightly muted, but yet there.
The problem I had with the AT AD2000's I owned was that the midrange was glorious but there was no high end.
The LCD-2 has as good, if not better midrange and the high end could be a couple dB higher, but nothing to complain about.
Edited by wink - 4/16/11 at 8:37pm
- Did HD800 fail? Poll: HD650 or HD800(vote only if you have listened to both)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion 25 seconds ago
- › Glove Audio A1 jacket DAC Amp for AK120 29 seconds ago
- › AKG k240 or AKG k271 or Bose OE2I or Alessandro MS1 2009 vs 1 minute ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 1 minute ago
- › Band Name Game II 2 minutes ago
- › The Fiio X3 Thread. 2 minutes ago
- › How do you get Virtual Surround Sound for PC gaming? 3 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 4 minutes ago
- › 24bit vs 16bit, the myth exploded! 5 minutes ago
- › If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you... 5 minutes ago
- › Audio Technica S700BT by ironicinori
- › MP4Nation Brainwavz M1 by mark2410
- › DUNU DN-12 Trident by Ghoulcow
- › Audio Technica ATH-CKR10 IN-EAR HEADPHONE TITANIUM SONIC PRO DUAL... by acain
- › Woo Audio 2 by mikoss
- › KAM HP1 by LowDose
- › Schiit Vali by Mr Rick
- › DUNU DN-2000 Hybrid 3 way earphone by YoYo JoKeR
- › V-MODA Crossfade M-100 by Spiderman
- › Audinst HUD-mx2 by YoYo JoKeR
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)