or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › M50s overrated?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

M50s overrated? - Page 66

post #976 of 984
Quote:
Originally Posted by crinacle View Post
 

Hey Head-Fi,

 

Recently I have been reading different people's on the M50s, and apparently, some say they're getting more overrated as their popularity picks up. I mean, I'm an M50 fanboy, and got about 3 of my friends rushing for them, but after knowing that some reviews glorify the cans WAY too much, I'm getting a little anxious. I really hate to lie to my friends.

 

So Head-Fiers, are they on the way to "Beatshood"?

 

Adorama (mainly a Camera place in NY) had a 24-hour sale on the M50x cans for $99 so I bought a pair.  I had seen some of the reviews so I figured for $99, why not try them out.   I have to say they do sound very very good considering the price.  Are they the best sounding cans money can buy?  No, of course not, but considering the under-$200 price, they are pretty darned good!  I have a pair of Klipsch M40s which I really love, but they are just too tight and heavy and I can't wear them for long.  These M50x sound every bit as good as my $300 Klipsch cans but are much lighter and more comfortable.  If I had a friend who wanted great sounding headphones but didn't want to spend a fortune, I would definitely recommend these.  

post #977 of 984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palladium View Post

Add me to the "M50 is incredibly overrated" list. Until I tried it out myself I couldn't believe headphones this muddy and devoid of any soundstage can somehow sell for an incredible $140 when I have $20 Xiaomi Pistons 2 that beats it in overall SQ hands down.

IMO most of the "M50 is the greatest headphone ever" reviews come from people who:
-Blindly parroting others, especially *THAT* MKBHD guy.
-Never heard anything better than stock earbuds.
-Never heard a decent stereo speaker setup like the LSR305.
For the record he also listen to Grado SR80 and he still like the M50x better and also bought a M70x to compare it to. Each person has their own tastes and opinions, let's just respect them...
I agree that M50x give a complete package an average person ever need for a single full sized headphone.
I don't understand the positive of this thread at all... I see that most of you did enjoy the first few years of using it... so why are you bashing it now after knowing something better? You DID enjoy it when you know nothing right? Me myself have 3 phones now... a SR60, an M40x and a Sony MA100. All has their own purposes and used daily by me... all of them I think is a decent for to the price and will be the base for all the phones I buy in the future... so no regret at all buying and recommending them to any newbies..
Edited by Sp12er3 - 7/23/15 at 8:40am
post #978 of 984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp12er3 View Post

so why are you bashing it now after knowing something better?
Because your money could have been better spent on something both cheaper and higher quality.
post #979 of 984

I never heard the M50s or M50x, so I can't comment about them.

 

I do however think that the Creative Aurvana Live is exceptionally good at their price. I honestly think they sound better in the mids and highs than some popular, closed mid-fi headphones that people have high praise for, like the Focal Spirit Pro and NAD Viso HP50s.

 

The 2 headphones I mentioned above have a way better bass response however, but the CAL is clearly better in the mids and highs to my ears.

 

And they cost even less than 1/5 of their price.

post #980 of 984
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakanao View Post

I never heard the M50s or M50x, so I can't comment about them.

I do however think that the Creative Aurvana Live is exceptionally good at their price. I honestly think they sound better in the mids and highs than some popular, closed mid-fi headphones that people have high praise for, like the Focal Spirit Pro and NAD Viso HP50s.

The 2 headphones I mentioned above have a way better bass response however, but the CAL is clearly better in the mids and highs to my ears.

And they cost even less than 1/5 of their price.
the CAL! slaughters the M50

M50x is a bit of a closer call but the CAL! still has a smoother frequency response throughout
post #981 of 984
Quote:
Originally Posted by takato14 View Post


the CAL! slaughters the M50

M50x is a bit of a closer call but the CAL! still has a smoother frequency response throughout

The thing that is so awesome with the CAL (which I haven't heard in ANY headphone/earphone before) is the fact that they have VERY good resolution and zero harshness on high quality recordings, but they still have zero harshness on poor recordings, and poor recordings actually sound good through them as well.

post #982 of 984
Quote:
Originally Posted by WitHuntybee View Post

I agree, they are not bad headphones, there are just better options out there.

Like what? I dont think they are bad soubding but i do asmit i expected more. The midranger in not bad but is a bit recessed when compared with bass and treble. I like the bass but the treble, although not bad sound a bit plasticky, unnatural and for that they end up sounding bassy but also thin at the same time. Rock for example, listening to biffy clyro on the hd25 is much more fun because the guitars have much more raw power, more snare, just overall more agressive and engaging.... Once again not that i think the momentums are bad but so far the first gen momentum over ear (havent tried the second gen yer) and hd25-1 ii are are my favourites so far.

I am a guy that mostly listens to indie, pop, some agressive and punky rock and proggy and trancey edm, a bit of dubstep etc.... So overall i need good alk rounders....

I was thinking of buying a pair of 80 ohm dt770d.... For what i mentioned what do you guys think? Any other alternatives? The dt990 would be a better match....

I had the coiled withe box m50 and i was thinking of giving the m50x a second chance due to their newer pads and replaceable cables but i doubt the sound changed much and the the flaws i mentioned were inproved...
post #983 of 984
They are popular, yes, but wouldn't all all day they are getting close to "beatshood." Of the price were to increase to the point that you are overpaying for what you are getting out of it, then maybe..
post #984 of 984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Oliveira View Post

Like what? I dont think they are bad soubding but i do asmit i expected more. The midranger in not bad but is a bit recessed when compared with bass and treble. I like the bass but the treble, although not bad sound a bit plasticky, unnatural and for that they end up sounding bassy but also thin at the same time. Rock for example, listening to biffy clyro on the hd25 is much more fun because the guitars have much more raw power, more snare, just overall more agressive and engaging.... Once again not that i think the momentums are bad but so far the first gen momentum over ear (havent tried the second gen yer) and hd25-1 ii are are my favourites so far.

I am a guy that mostly listens to indie, pop, some agressive and punky rock and proggy and trancey edm, a bit of dubstep etc.... So overall i need good alk rounders....

I was thinking of buying a pair of 80 ohm dt770d.... For what i mentioned what do you guys think? Any other alternatives? The dt990 would be a better match....

I had the coiled withe box m50 and i was thinking of giving the m50x a second chance due to their newer pads and replaceable cables but i doubt the sound changed much and the the flaws i mentioned were inproved...
Here's what I wrote when listening to DT770 80ohm: (beginner's opinion here... Take it with a grain of salt)
Roomy, out of the head exp, not really isolating compared to AT's, but best exp for Binaural i've ever listen to yet, very precise, fantastic separation. Neutral sounding. Not sure its good for vocal(I like AT's house sound more).. (Not bass heavy either check again-> yep, even less bassy than M40x)…. Will need an amp. Really comfortable and feels snug, even after 30 minutes on my head non stop. Definitely an upgrade from my M40x. Though, not sure for the vocal. Think will be great for watching movies.
Favorite Genre: Classical (popular ones), Pop (anisong, mostly of female vocal), acoustics.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › M50s overrated?