Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › M50s overrated?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

M50s overrated? - Page 3

post #31 of 954
While it could get too much bass at times, there aren't too many alternatives that get you overall appealing sound without amps. I prefer Hd598 much more than m50, but without amp, not so sure. High impedence phones get only worse. Most better phones need better supports (amp+DAC) to shine. In that regard, I don't think it's overrated.
post #32 of 954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Erik View Post

It's an OK headphone. But I've heard better, and not necessarily more expensive.

Problem is that a lot of people own them who haven't owned, or even listened to, other headphones. They start making statements like those above, about how the M50 is better than more expensive headphones. OK, which ones?

Then the people who haven't heard other headphones start recommending the M50 for everything, even when there are better choices.

And if I haven't irritated the fanboys enough, I'll take the Sony MDR-V6 over the M50 any day. Sounds better and costs less. Or a Grado SR-60, which also costs less and sounds better.


I like the M50 better than most other closed headphones.  I prefer it to the MDR-V6 and SR-60 which are both too bright IMO.  I like the M50 better then the D2000 and D5000 as well as every woody ATH I've heard, which cost a lot more.  The M50 simply has a better frequency response IMO, and I care about that more than I care about subtleties. 

 

I liked the SRH840 as well when I heard it at a meet.  But the M50 deserves to get recommended a lot, and it should be a popular headphone because it meets more requirements for newbs then any other headphone that I know of. 

 

affordable (in the USA)

closed

isolates well

portable, sturdy

easily driven by an ipod

balanced, un-offensive frequency response that appeals to most people and works with most genres

punchy, deep bass response, which is often times the first thing people are looking for in a headphone

 

That doesn't mean it's the be all end all in a home environment.  But for the huge number of people who sign on here to get a headphone to wear on the bus, or use on the go, at home, etc, out of an ipod, it is a great choice.  If one of these people is to buy their first headphone without really knowing what they want, I think the chances of them liking the M50 are higher than other headphones. 

 

So I think its silly to say that they are overrated.  Just because they are not the headphone for you personally, it doesn't mean they shouldn't be as popular as they are. 


Edited by rhythmdevils - 4/9/11 at 6:36pm
post #33 of 954

Opinions varied widely on these M50sblink.gif  Some say the M50s have terrible terrible mids and others praised it like it's the best headphones they've ever heard.  I'm looking at a closed portable for work.  It's coming down to the MDR-V6, SRH840 or the M50s.  I might just test all three and see which one I prefer.

post #34 of 954
Thread Starter 

So is there a big difference in the blue box and white box variants? From what I'm reading, people tend to put down the blue box for having recessed mids with too much bass reverb while the white box variants are supposedly "more suitable for studio use due to their more flat response with punchier bass".

post #35 of 954
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmdevils View Post


I like the M50 better than most other closed headphones.  I prefer it to the MDR-V6 and SR-60 which are both too bright IMO.  I like the M50 better then the D2000 and D5000 as well as every woody ATH I've heard, which cost a lot more.  The M50 simply has a better frequency response IMO, and I care about that more than I care about subtleties. 

 

I liked the SRH840 as well when I heard it at a meet.  But the M50 deserves to get recommended a lot, and it should be a popular headphone because it meets more requirements for newbs then any other headphone that I know of. 

 

affordable (in the USA)

closed

isolates well

portable, sturdy

easily driven by an ipod

balanced, un-offensive frequency response that appeals to most people and works with most genres

punchy, deep bass response, which is often times the first thing people are looking for in a headphone

 

That doesn't mean it's the be all end all in a home environment.  But for the huge number of people who sign on here to get a headphone to wear on the bus, or use on the go, at home, etc, out of an ipod, it is a great choice.  If one of these people is to buy their first headphone without really knowing what they want, I think the chances of them liking the M50 are higher than other headphones. 

 

So I think its silly to say that they are overrated.  Just because they are not the headphone for you personally, it doesn't mean they shouldn't be as popular as they are. 

 

This post pretty much sums it up. I think new members need to take care in whose advice they take on these boards. Most posters are perhaps guilty of loudly proclaiming their latest purchase as the greatest, but newer members with little experience with other cans are over represented.

 

Like rhythmdevils, I recommend the M50s where appropriate. In those instances where it ticks all the boxes, it's likely the recommendation wouldn't lead the person asking astray.

 

Having said that, they are far from "the be all and end all" cans they're often portrayed as. For those without specific requirements, there are other options that are often overlooked and it's a shame when those suggestions get drowned out by the hive.

 

post #36 of 954
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmdevils View Post

I liked the SRH840 as well when I heard it at a meet.  But the M50 deserves to get recommended a lot, and it should be a popular headphone because it meets more requirements for newbs then any other headphone that I know of. 

 

affordable (in the USA)

closed

isolates well

portable, sturdy

easily driven by an ipod

balanced, un-offensive frequency response that appeals to most people and works with most genres

punchy, deep bass response, which is often times the first thing people are looking for in a headphone

 

That doesn't mean it's the be all end all in a home environment.  But for the huge number of people who sign on here to get a headphone to wear on the bus, or use on the go, at home, etc, out of an ipod, it is a great choice.  If one of these people is to buy their first headphone without really knowing what they want, I think the chances of them liking the M50 are higher than other headphones. 

 

So I think its silly to say that they are overrated.  Just because they are not the headphone for you personally, it doesn't mean they shouldn't be as popular as they are. 

 

Couldn't have said that better myself. I ended up getting my M50 as they seemed the safest bet as my first better headphones and I was actually looking for a headphone that could fulfil all those criterias mentioned.

 

I do agree though that maybe a few too many new members are recommending the M50 no matter what the criterias are and some are recommending them without even having listened to them. But I don't believe they are overrated.
 

 

post #37 of 954

I'm trying to figure out where the bass is in the M50s. I have a pair of the SRH750DJs, a pair of Phiaton MS400s, and a pair of HD428's knocking around for comparison. I got the M50s for my husband, and took a listen to them just to see what the hype was about. While they're more comfortable than the 750DJs, they sound like (to me) they have less bass than both the 750DJs an the MS400s. Yet I keep reading post after post about the M50s having a bunch of bass. Am I listening wrong or something? Or is it the type of bass that's different?

post #38 of 954

The M50s are overrated by those who haven't heard anything else and even by those who've not heard them but are just adding their voice to the noise. Those that have spent any time with these cans rate them accordingly. They're the ones to take advice from.

post #39 of 954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquartata View Post

I'm trying to figure out where the bass is in the M50s. I have a pair of the SRH750DJs, a pair of Phiaton MS400s, and a pair of HD428's knocking around for comparison. I got the M50s for my husband, and took a listen to them just to see what the hype was about. While they're more comfortable than the 750DJs, they sound like (to me) they have less bass than both the 750DJs an the MS400s. Yet I keep reading post after post about the M50s having a bunch of bass. Am I listening wrong or something? Or is it the type of bass that's different?


Well, 750 DJ and MS400 are bassy headphones as well so comparing to them, M50 might not have as much but compare to the norm it is considered to be a bassy headphone?

 

post #40 of 954

they are just as revealing as the T1 the bass goes just as low there as mellow as the p5s and are nearly as pleasing in the lows as the pro 900 , they have precisian as the t50p they have a  natural timbre  like the e888 sony buds they have openess  sr325's 

post #41 of 954

I haven't heard the T1, and I can say with confidence that the M50's are not as revealing.  However, I do think they are more revealing than many other closed headphones.


Edited by rhythmdevils - 4/9/11 at 10:20pm
post #42 of 954

if you believe hard edges is a sign of  prescisian and I own the t1   If I had just spent $4000 grand on them I would be happy  wich does make me wonder about those mighty sonys oh and i aint no fanboy piece


Edited by power - 4/9/11 at 9:58pm
post #43 of 954

Okay... I have only owned cans that are under $30 before getting the ATH-M50 and to tell you the truth, they are one of the best headphones you can get for a price/performance ratio of $110. Even if I haven't heard any other cans that are $110, i know this because it's all coming from a tone of experienced head-fi members I have asked. Almost nothing beats it for 110 according to its divers features and great SQ

 

First reason why I agree with the hype is because the sound signature favors the majority of the members on head-fi(this means 51%+).

 

Secondly, nothing beats it at $110 w/ isolation, comfort and excellent sound quality.

 

Third, the white box version is more balanced, but still are “fun” cans, making it sort of like 2 in 1.

 

Forth, they are one of the most divers headphones out there that works with most genres of music.

 

Fifth, no amps required to get good performance out of it.

 

Oh yea, don’t take me for one of those new people that recommend the ATH-M50 to everyone. Yes I have only listened to crap and these are the only good things I have heard, but as a half newb in this community, I take offense when you say that we recommend the ATH-M50 to everyone. Lol jk.

 

But seriously, I find myself recommending all sorts of headphones based on what I read. For some reason I tend to recommend the SRH-840’s and HD 558’s modded and a few more cans more than the ATH-M50 because I have a general idea of each can from reading about it and which one will fit what person. Not all newbs that love the ATH-M50 recommend it and only it. That’s me =]

 

Though, I wouldn’t say its solely the community making the hype… I mean, the reason I bought them over all of the other entry level cans was because they are VERY VERY popular on Amazon and have the best rating in the headphones category lol…

 

But hey buddy.. go get them HD 558’s if you only like all that classical. Gotta get some diversity here on head fi...

 

Basically, I agree with the hype.. and disagree with it at the same time, its really hard to put it all in one post but whatever haha


Edited by eriktheg - 4/9/11 at 11:07pm
post #44 of 954

^ Why are you recommending headphones you've never heard? This sort of practice is what distills the quality of advice being given on these forums.

post #45 of 954
Quote:
Originally Posted by olor1n View Post

^ Why are you recommending headphones you've never heard? This sort of practice is what distills the quality of advice being given on these forums.



Thats the thing... I read, read, and read more... You get the general idea of the headphones, its sound signature, its performance, and what genres it favors as the threads about the headphones progress. Like for instance, I know some people have comfort issues with the 840's on the top of their head after 30 minutes - and hour of listening, and I'm sure most of us will agree. Even if I have never put on the 840's on,  I can say it because I have read about it numerous times.  So Don't get me wrong here

 

I don't make it all up and say 558's are perfect for Hard core Rock and Rap.. because they aren't and i know this because you read..

but rather, the 558's are quite nice for classical and it is airy and open with a good sound stage.

See what I mean? Tell me in my that I'm wrong and that they are good for rap, because i will argue you straight back just from reviews I read and common sense people throw out about the headphones on these forums. =P

Soo.. read read read.. and read a little more.. and then you can recommend the headphones based on general sense and what people want


Edited by eriktheg - 4/9/11 at 10:32pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › M50s overrated?