Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › [REVIEW] Sunrise Xcape v2 and Xcited
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[REVIEW] Sunrise Xcape v2 and Xcited - Page 5

post #61 of 82
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LooptroopRocker View Post

You are too kind! Thank you for your time, I very much appreciate it, and I will try to figure out for myself which sound I prefer based on your comments though if I may, I have just one small question. I kind of value isolation and female vocalists in this decision, which would win it out there? [I wont be asking any more I promise!]

 

CC51 has better isolation, X-IE has better vocal. In between isolation and vocal, I'll probably go for X-IE because tis isolation is not really that bad but it does has a more forward and lush vocal.
 

 

post #62 of 82

X-IE it is! Once agian, thank you very much!

post #63 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDRKZ View Post

Oh man..... I just received my V2's after returning my V1's for warranty. I was OK with getting my V1's replaced with V2's until just now. Suddenly I feel like I'm wading through mud. I had no idea that they were THAT much different. I can barely get any detail and all I can hear is slow and muddy bass. I can only hope that this will be solved through burn in because right now it is worse than my old pair of Sony $25 headphones. Now I wish I hadn't returned my broken V1's and waited until the V2's were gone before returning it for warranty. At the moment, I feel like I got a terrible bargain as I purchased the V1's, had them defect after 3 weeks and end up receiving a a major downgrade. Can't say I'm speaking totally rationally at the moment because I'm steaming after listening to them. Maybe I'll have something more objective in a couple of hours.


 

Cooled down now. V2's aren't bad headphones as many people have already alluded to, they simply aren't the same. A good analogy would be if someone told you they were going to buy you some ice cream on a hot day and in the end buy you hot chocolate. You would appreciate that the hot chocolate tastes good but then go on to demand ice cream.

 

Will note that Lendmeurears has been very understanding throughout this entire process. I remember being worried about the Singapore/US connection, but his timely responses help.

post #64 of 82

I remember my initial impressions of these were negative coming from the RE0. The sound was just very different. It was fuller compared to the thin and cool RE0, but the lower mid range was rather emphasized lending to a warm sound signature. I wanted a neutral presentation which the V2s don`t give you. I felt the bass was overdone which created a thick mid range. I have since realized that I needed to reduce the bass to balance out the sound. Just by decreasing the bass by 5 dB, I found the sound much easier to listen to. I believe this is the sound most people would prefer. I am starting to like the sound from the V2s now mated with my rockboxxed Sansa Fuze, much more so than the RE0. Switching back for a listen with the RE0 I found the sound very thin and the prominent treble slightly harsh on some recordings. I needed to adjust the bass (increase it this time) to make the RE0 sound like what I want.

 

I used the midsize tips for most of my listening. I`ve found that switching to the double flange tips gave a noticeable improvement to the sound, and have recently used it more. I find that the sound is clearer and less thick with the double flange tips. Bass is somewhat tighter as well. However, the fit is a bit more finicky to get right.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDRKZ View Post




 

Cooled down now. V2's aren't bad headphones as many people have already alluded to, they simply aren't the same. A good analogy would be if someone told you they were going to buy you some ice cream on a hot day and in the end buy you hot chocolate. You would appreciate that the hot chocolate tastes good but then go on to demand ice cream.

 

Will note that Lendmeurears has been very understanding throughout this entire process. I remember being worried about the Singapore/US connection, but his timely responses help.



 

post #65 of 82

Just received my Xcape IEdt880smile.png, compared to V1 after only 20 mns listening and no burn in, IE have a slightly better separation between instruments and bass isn't more present to me, but more controlled or detailed.

post #66 of 82

 

Quote:
Just received my Xcape IEdt880smile.png, compared to V1 after only 20 mns listening and no burn in, IE have a slightly better separation between instruments and bass isn't more present to me, but more controlled or detailed.

 


ClieOS said on a scale of 1-10 the bass improvement from v.1 to the IE was from 4.0-4.5 to 6.5-7.0 which I liked. However you seem to disagree, has the bass improved upon further listening?

 


Edited by LooptroopRocker - 4/25/11 at 12:12pm
post #67 of 82

Xcape IE's bass will increase after burn in time, it will also tighter, more control; mid will be smoother, treble refined without harsh. These things can be easily recognize after 50-100 hours. after 200 hours, the sound will be almost stable.

post #68 of 82

After some more burn in, bass presence increased, but its remains detailed and controlled. It's pretty difficult for me to rate bass improvement/increase since I don't like bassy earphones, I would say it's between V1 and Brainwavz M2.

post #69 of 82


zest would you then recommend these for electronic music where bass impact and extension can be quite important?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zest View Post

After some more burn in, bass presence increased, but its remains detailed and controlled. It's pretty difficult for me to rate bass improvement/increase since I don't like bassy earphones, I would say it's between V1 and Brainwavz M2.



 

post #70 of 82

I'm not into electro, but I think bass is not punchy enough for this kind of music if it's what you listen the most

post #71 of 82

Cheers mate. A bit dissappointed but alas the search continues then!
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zest View Post

I'm not into electro, but I think bass is not punchy enough for this kind of music if it's what you listen the most



 

post #72 of 82

Alright, so can i buy the Xcape Impressive Edition in the USA yet? How will I know that it's not some dealer rebrand? Anybody care to point out a seller? I really want these, but at this rate I may need to just buy another set of iem's. (NF 700X) Thanks for any tips or clues > this trail.

 


Edited by Hennyo - 4/27/11 at 10:23am
post #73 of 82

I would try and send an e-mail to Sunrise. I got an answer within 24 hours and they directed me towards a dealer for the EU market. I was skeptical at first of the various versions so I confirmed with Sunrise again and they assured me that the dealer was indeed selling the versions as advertised. Hope this helps!

post #74 of 82

I think punchy is the wrong word.  It's not that the Xcape IE lacks punch.  It's more a matter of sensitivity.  It does respond well to EQing and does fill out well doing so.  The Xcape IE is more geared around the midrange with lighter emphasis on the extremes.  Techno tends to hover more around the extremes, so product geared for that fit better (like the Triple.Fi 10).

 

One question with any earphone is the idea of frequency response competency.  An earphone may be geared to roll off or emphasized here or there.  Maybe we end up with a mid-centric earphone.  Ok.  Is it mid-centric because it is just geared that way or is it mid-centric because it can hardly reproduce the highs and lows?  Is there an issue of competency?  In some cases, simple EQing can go a long way to vastly changing the sound signature and presentation of an earphone.  In other cases, the earphone may have certain shortcomings that inhibit its ability to actually reproduce a particular frequency range.  An example is the MTPG.  The highs are very smooth.  The frequencies response is there, but the earphone doesn't really articulate the details well.  It's a shortcoming of the driver being used and is something that can't be fixed via processing.  When looking at earphones, it's good to understand what's the underlying issue.  Does the sensitivity just roll off?  Or is there a bigger problem?

 

I don't have an answer for you with the Xcape IE yet.  I haven't really done any frequency response testing with it yet other than some very basic toying.  It's been more just break in and general listening as of yet.

 

As for purchase, apparently there's a UK selling selling them.  That's pretty much it as far as I'm aware.  Anybody else that has them does so from Sunrise itself for demo/review purposes.  They aren't exactly officially on sale because there is no official packaging of the product.  The ones we have don't look any different from the v2, and we only know it is the IE because that's what Sunrise told us we'd be getting.  The UK seller's being a bit of a moron for wanting to push them so eagerly.  Well, Sunrise is the bigger moron for allowing it when the product really isn't ready for sale on a consumer level.  Once these get into circulation and people start selling them, they won't have a clue what they're buying.  That's going to be problematic.

post #75 of 82

Interesting read. I follow your point on competency quite well, I hope, and I am looking forward to your testing on these!

 

One question, what do you have these connected to?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › [REVIEW] Sunrise Xcape v2 and Xcited