In my strenous pursuit for the ultimate amp for HD800, I searched Head-fi extensively for information. There seems to be a general consensus that tube amps are more suited to HD800, and there are quite a lot recommentations. Recently I bought a Weiss DAC202 and found its built-in amp very pleasant. My interest with the solid state amp is greatly trigered because of that. If a built-in amp can drive HD800 so well, perhas a high end solid state amp should do magic without much trouble. Could anyone recommend some really good ones?
Related Forum Threads
- Apex Peak/Volcano vs. Zana Deux Last post on 6/25/12 at 1:54am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Upgrading Amp, need help. Last post on 1/26/13 at 7:34am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Red Wine Audio Isabelline with Sennheiser Hd 800 Last post on 5/31/12 at 6:03pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions Last post on Yesterday at 12:42 pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier Last post on 2/23/15 at 2:59pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 11/28/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/8/14
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
So, these are quite good, actually. But I am not as impressed as I should be after paying 500 Euro. There are some very nice things here, but also some very bad ones, and some silly...
Well, I am really happy that these headphones exist, although I am angry with the designers for ruining something almost perfect with a stupid detail like too thin earpads. But, let's start...
If you are looking for an inexpensive USB cable, this is an OK way to spend your money. It will reduce some of the digital irritants and sounds better than the "comes with" usb cables packaged...
Me: I am a 21 year old student living in a small town in India. I would like to call myself a music enthusiast, rather than an audiophile. I was inspired by music since childhood, and as the time...
If you told me that my review of a pair of headphones would somehow combine golf, science-fiction, sorcery and a supersonic jet I’d say you’re crazy. But then again if you told me I would...
Best Solid State amp for HD800?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 324/8/11 at 12:21pmpost #3 of 324/8/11 at 12:22pmpost #4 of 324/8/11 at 1:04pmpost #5 of 324/8/11 at 2:06pmpost #6 of 324/8/11 at 4:03pmpost #7 of 324/8/11 at 5:54pmpost #8 of 324/8/11 at 6:06pmpost #9 of 324/8/11 at 6:25pmpost #10 of 324/8/11 at 9:18pmQuote:X2
Though why aren't you considering tubes? The HD-800 is wonderful with them.
If price is a consideration, that makes sense. But if you've heard any of the myths about reliability, etc., we can disabuse you of those.post #11 of 324/8/11 at 9:53pmQuote:
hd800 was voiced with the BCL, the lovely cube is a direct clone of it for 1/5 of the price. Can't go wrong with it if you're on a budget.post #12 of 324/9/11 at 8:57amThread Starter
Thanks, but what's BCL?Quote:post #13 of 324/9/11 at 9:03amQuote:
This is why I have such low post count. Everyone says what I'm about to say before I say it.post #14 of 324/9/11 at 10:00am
- Best Solid State amp for HD800?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Currently, there are 3183 Active Users (677 Members and 2506 Guests)
- › (117dB SNR DAC 2+7.1 and 600 ohm AMP) Asrock's new audiophile... 1 minute ago
- › GR07 - Tips Thread 3 minutes ago
- › DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 6 minutes ago
- › OPPO HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier/DAC Discussion Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015 6 minutes ago
- › Shure SE535: Reviews and First Impressions Thread 7 minutes ago
- › EarWerkz, a new CIEM company, discussion thread 7 minutes ago
- › OPPO To Reveal PM-3 Planar Magnetic Headphones and HA-2 Portable... 10 minutes ago
- › JBL LSR-305 Active Studio Monitors: Includes built-in amplification 11 minutes ago
- › Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H8 by Giogio
- › AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-WS99BT Solid Bass Bluetooth Headphones by Giogio
- › Pangea Audio - USB cable - PCOCC & 4% silver - 1.5 Meter by davide256
- › Master & Dynamic ME03 In Ear Headphone by YoYo JoKeR
- › Noble Audio Kaiser 10 by mscott58
- › FiiO E17 by prez
- › VentureCraft SounDroid Vantam by fonzler
- › Sony Walkman Nw-zx2 128gb Mp3 Player Hi-res by piksnz
- › Tralucent Audio Ref 1 by Wyd4
- › MEElectronics M9 Classic Hi-Fi Noise-Isolating In-Ear Headphones by DisCHORDDubstep
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2