Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The Woo WA6SE and beta22/sigma22 amps face off. (Review Posted)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Woo WA6SE and beta22/sigma22 amps face off. (Review Posted) - Page 5

post #61 of 67
Thread Starter 

Quote:Originally Posted by MorbidToaster 

"Haven't gotten to read the full write-up yet..But I gotta know what shelves you're using? I've been looking for some like that to fit the design of my room."


Mine isn't made any longer but the Archetype by Salamander at Audio Advisor is basically the same rack. They have 2, 3, and 5 shelf racks. The 5 shelf is $230 in black. The shelves are infinitely adjustable and the rack is solid. Heavy too.

post #62 of 67

Thanks a bunch. Nice write up by the way. Still hoping to do a beta22 build someday...
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by baka1969 View Post

Quote:Originally Posted by MorbidToaster 

"Haven't gotten to read the full write-up yet..But I gotta know what shelves you're using? I've been looking for some like that to fit the design of my room."


Mine isn't made any longer but the Archetype by Salamander at Audio Advisor is basically the same rack. They have 2, 3, and 5 shelf racks. The 5 shelf is $230 in black. The shelves are infinitely adjustable and the rack is solid. Heavy too.



 

 

post #63 of 67

Thank you for taking the time for the reveiw.

post #64 of 67

 

Quote:
Service Performed
 
-Designed custom face plates from FPE, mounted new handles and chassis lids from Par-Metal, and spiked feet from PartsExpress.
-All new stainless steel fasteners and aluminum stand offs, including lock washers, for PCB mounts, IEC power entry, and Amphenol chassis mount connector; all other screw-type connectors, including on-board Phoenix and PS umbilical re-tightened.
 
B22
-New TKD pot, TRS jack, Cardas RCAs, and face plate LEDs.
-Installed e12 board and moved/remounted e22.
-Remounted all MOSFETs with lock washers.
-New input wiring from RCAs to board inputs; used existing wire from outputs of the boards to e22 and retagged with solder at the Molex pins; new wire from e22 to e12 and TRS jack. 
-Zobel network installed on e22.
-Replaced all electrolytics on the B22 boards.
-Replaced Q3+Q7

-Biased quiescent current on all 3 channels to 120-125mA, with lid on, at 68F ambient temp, and over a period of 6hrs.  DC offset set to 0.4-0.7mV on all 3 channels, and 0.5mV on e12.
 
o22
-Measured at 29V.
-Installed new Bulgin latching switch with appropriate higher rated/speced relay.
-Installed new AC mains wiring from IEC power entry to switch and relay.

Thanks for the excellent review...one of the best formats I've come across in years of lurking.  Since the Beezar Torpedo or the Bottlehead Sex (transformer issues) can not be bought yet (yea I got the disease)  I've started building the Beta 22.  The o22 is done and ready for testing (hoping for no problems).  Before I start doing the 3 boards for the amp my question is what make of electrolytics did you change to & what did you replace Q3+Q7 with?  Looking to use your review as a starting point when I either build a tube amp or buy one in the $1000 to $2000 range.  The Woo was on my list...

post #65 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberst Oswald View Post

 

Thanks for the excellent review...one of the best formats I've come across in years of lurking.  Since the Beezar Torpedo or the Bottlehead Sex (transformer issues) can not be bought yet (yea I got the disease)  I've started building the Beta 22.  The o22 is done and ready for testing (hoping for no problems).  Before I start doing the 3 boards for the amp my question is what make of electrolytics did you change to & what did you replace Q3+Q7 with?  Looking to use your review as a starting point when I either build a tube amp or buy one in the $1000 to $2000 range.  The Woo was on my list...


i did not build the amp, but basically gutted and refurbished it.  baka1969 bought it from a DIYer overseas.  the boards were not fastened correctly and had fallen out inside the chassis at baka1969's house after returning from a meet and damage was done to some of the board components, including snapping off a few electrolytics and transistors on a single channel.  for symmetry sake, we elected to replace all the electrolytics with higher temp tolerance Panasonic FC for greater longevity.

 

good luck with your B22!

 


Edited by fishski13 - 5/17/11 at 9:05am
post #66 of 67

Thanks...now I can sleep at night.

post #67 of 67
Thread Starter 

Quote:Originally Posted by fishski13 




"i did not build the amp, but basically gutted and refurbished it.  baka1969 bought it from a DIYer overseas.  the boards were not fastened correctly and had fallen out inside the chassis at baka1969's house after returning from a meet and damage was done to some of the board components, including snapping off a few electrolytics and transistors on a single channel.  for symmetry sake, we elected to replace all the electrolytics with higher temp tolerance Panasonic FC for greater longevity.
good luck with your B22!"


Corey is being modest again. He took in a basket case and for all intents rebuilt the entire beta22 plus did substantial work on the sigma22. I will call my b22 a fishski13 build because of how extensive his work was. Which included cleaning up a large portion of the sloppy solder work of the previous builder. There was some wire issues fishski13 addressed. Plus Corey retested and biased all the boards.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The Woo WA6SE and beta22/sigma22 amps face off. (Review Posted)