Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Logitech's Squeezebox Touch - opinions sought on quality
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Logitech's Squeezebox Touch - opinions sought on quality - Page 21

post #301 of 314

You don't really need the hardware. You can get the server software for free. Run ipeng on an ipad ($10) or iphone ($5) and activate the player software. Run that into a Pure i20 into a DAC and you're there. 

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #302 of 314

I think I may have forgot to mention that I don't want to be tied to a computer, nor do I have any apple products.
 

post #303 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by esn89 View Post

That looks like an abomination, does it even have digital output...?

 

edit:  Thank you for telling me that, now I need to get my hands on one of the Touches asap.

Actually that device has existed for several years.  I have had the Squeezebox Radio branded one for awhile, it is great on the bedside.  However that UE rebranded version has a crippled firmware that makes it not work with the Squeezebox systems :(.

 

Also WHY would you want stereo on a bedside radio?  You do not get stereo seperation if the speakers are less than a foot apart and you are more than 5 feet away.  I would rather have one GOOD speaker than 2 half as good speakers.  Now the Radio does not replace the Touch of course, not meant to.  Just wish Logitech would get there heads out of there rear and not continue screwing up a great music system.

post #304 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by esn89 View Post

I think I may have forgot to mention that I don't want to be tied to a computer, nor do I have any apple products.

Me neither, I just haven't found any alternative to my mini PC . all I found are some very hi - end -priced media steamer/servers which won't offer any sonic improvement to what I have. A silent mini-pc, plus some good media software, and you will have to think "its a pc/mac" to really be bothered.
post #305 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by saeyedoc View Post

You don't really need the hardware. You can get the server software for free. Run ipeng on an ipad ($10) or iphone ($5) and activate the player software. Run that into a Pure i20 into a DAC and you're there. 

 

Tried that.  It almost worked ok, but the trouble was on iPod Touch 4 had frequent periodic clicking, iPod Touch 3 had periodic severe clicking & skipping.  Pure informed me it's an Apple problem.  There's a known solution that works in iPhones (a hard reboot of the iPhone), but that solution never worked well on either of my iPod Touches.  The Squeezebox saved me from that nightmare.  Also, the SQ is better...I think that Pure dock, or the iPod USB interface in general has serious jitter issues.   Not a problem for an ~$1k+ DAC with reclocking, but a nightmare otherwise.  iPeng works great when using the iPod directly (headphone out, LOD for use with my E11, etc), but the USB interface to the Pure and presumably other digital docks has issues.  It should be fine for Phone owners, but I'm unsure about Touch owners.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1abrams View Post

Actually that device has existed for several years.  I have had the Squeezebox Radio branded one for awhile, it is great on the bedside.  However that UE rebranded version has a crippled firmware that makes it not work with the Squeezebox systems :(.

 

Also WHY would you want stereo on a bedside radio?  You do not get stereo seperation if the speakers are less than a foot apart and you are more than 5 feet away.  I would rather have one GOOD speaker than 2 half as good speakers.  Now the Radio does not replace the Touch of course, not meant to.  Just wish Logitech would get there heads out of there rear and not continue screwing up a great music system.

 

Yeah, I love the Touch....there's no other device out there that does what it and its software backend does. But without that software backend, and the touch as it presently exists, and the nightmare that getting a NEW server software onto a NAS platform will be, it seems much less viable than it was mad.gif  Nothing else handles large libraries like Squeezecenter.

 

To "ween" myself away from it I'll be getting a DLNA/uPnP streamer to get y uPnP server in order on the NAS side of things.  Good bye syncing, excellent control/interface, and visible album art! I'm not sure how we got to the point that all devices are assumed to be controlled exclusively with an iPhone and nothing else.  Most "streaming" devices other than the SBT seem to assume you have an Apple device lying around doing nothing other than acting as a remote control.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkerDk View Post


Me neither, I just haven't found any alternative to my mini PC . all I found are some very hi - end -priced media steamer/servers which won't offer any sonic improvement to what I have. A silent mini-pc, plus some good media software, and you will have to think "its a pc/mac" to really be bothered.

 

Trouble is a good silent mini PC isn't an "off the shelf solution" and configuring the sound (WSAPI/ASIO) etc is a painstaking process.  And then you're back to needing an Apple or Android device to control it unless you set up a monitor and keyboard at your audio rig. 

post #306 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEMCrazy View Post

 

To "ween" myself away from it I'll be getting a DLNA/uPnP streamer to get y uPnP server in order on the NAS side of things.  Good bye syncing, excellent control/interface, and visible album art! I'm not sure how we got to the point that all devices are assumed to be controlled exclusively with an iPhone and nothing else.  Most "streaming" devices other than the SBT seem to assume you have an Apple device lying around doing nothing other than acting as a remote control.

 

 

We got to the point of companies assuming an iPhone/iPod Touch when Apple started making those things so cheap.  If you had to choose between buying an iPod Touch for $199 to control your radio, or buy a dedicated controller that has a smaller LCD for $299 which do you think most people will go to.  Now that Android has jumped in, you will see more companies hopefully support those devices too, however with iPhone/iPod Touch being limited in choices in hardware it is easier to support them.

 

Remember Sonos dropped there controller because it was expensive compared to an iPod Touch.  Wasn't like $350 or something?

post #307 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by esn89 View Post

That looks like an abomination, does it even have digital output...?

 

edit:  Thank you for telling me that, now I need to get my hands on one of the Touches asap.


No, the Squeezebox Radio never did have any outputs, thats why I never bought one. Thats all this thing is, a renamed SqueezeBox Radio that doesnt connect to LMS. Def looks like they are going to ditch LMS too... Stupid of them.

post #308 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_r_ View Post


No, the Squeezebox Radio never did have any outputs, thats why I never bought one. Thats all this thing is, a renamed SqueezeBox Radio that doesnt connect to LMS. Def looks like they are going to ditch LMS too... Stupid of them.

LMS is unofficially officially  ditched.  As in they're still adding Windows 8 support because they still have to support the warrantied SB units still on shelves, but once the last warranty of the bulk of those units sold is over, I'm sure they'll leap at the killswitch as fast as possible.

 

I forget the name of the new UE replacement for LMS, if you don't use the online features much and use mostly local playback technically the new products may support many of the features we need.  And there is supposedly a new Touch that's "not a touch as we know it" that they're working on (I'm guessing they mean something portable and dockable) to go with the new UE Smart line....but the problem is those of us using NAS servers and the like, by the time support for the new software is stable on each brand of NAS and a device that goes with it can be set up etc, it'll create such a mess....until the next time they rearrange the whole software side.  It just seems like a dead-end path thanks to this change.

post #309 of 314

Hi,

 

After numerous tries, I have never succeed to obtain balanced output. I have tried Toolbox 2.0, 3.0, changing process priority, new PSU and for each time, the sound becomes clearer but bass lose deepness and are less accurate. I have revert all tweak with keeping only stopping wifi and samba services.

All my tests were done by comparing with my tweaked CD player (Jolida Music Van with Audio-GD op-amp, clock and NOS vaccum tubes). With only stopping wifi and samba services, sound is less clear but more open that the CD player. Bass definition is quite similar. By increasing process priority for jive_alsa, I can obtain the same clarity of CD player but listening quickly becomes little 'harsh' and bass level are reduced.
 

If anybody has succeed to improve bass level and definition with all tweak, I would be happy to have the information.

post #310 of 314

Hi guys,

 

One question, from what I have been reading in this thread the SBT has been kinda hit and miss.  My sole purpose with this device is to insert a 32/64gb SD card and play music (coax out) without touching the internet radio, squeezebox server or anything to do with my computer's music files, how is the performance of that?

post #311 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by esn89 View Post

Hi guys,

 

One question, from what I have been reading in this thread the SBT has been kinda hit and miss.  My sole purpose with this device is to insert a 32/64gb SD card and play music (coax out) without touching the internet radio, squeezebox server or anything to do with my computer's music files, how is the performance of that?


I didnt like it. It was very slow for me. And the USB hard drive I could never get to work. BUT the three Touches I have all stream FLAC files from a low power computer that I have on 24/7 running various server apps and they all work PERFECTLY in that manner.

post #312 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_r_ View Post


I didnt like it. It was very slow for me. And the USB hard drive I could never get to work. BUT the three Touches I have all stream FLAC files from a low power computer that I have on 24/7 running various server apps and they all work PERFECTLY in that manner.

 

I see, thanks.

 

By the way, is this with or without the SoundCheck mods?

post #313 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by esn89 View Post

Hi guys,

 

One question, from what I have been reading in this thread the SBT has been kinda hit and miss.  My sole purpose with this device is to insert a 32/64gb SD card and play music (coax out) without touching the internet radio, squeezebox server or anything to do with my computer's music files, how is the performance of that?

Then you should just buy one of these  http://www.qlshifi.com/en/wzcapi/qa550.htm

 

Actually these sound better than the SBT. ;-)

 

The SBT is not hit and miss. Its a very good sounding source, and you can sit on the couch and scroll through your entire music collection using your telephone application.

SQ is above average, but not "worlds best". Even fussy audiophiles like it. But yes.. of course you can do better sound wise.


Edited by erin - 9/2/12 at 6:03am
post #314 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by esn89 View Post

 

I see, thanks.

 

By the way, is this with or without the SoundCheck mods?


Dont know what those are, so Im gonna have to say without. All of my SB Touch units are right out of the box with only preferences/settings changed.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components

Gear mentioned in this thread:

Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Logitech's Squeezebox Touch - opinions sought on quality