So reading through all of this, there seems to be some bits and pieces of agreed upon and well, not so much agreed upon information. As well, it seems the majority around here have nothing but Bolder or other related modded touches that they are making assessments about. From what I have understood thus far:
1) The device can be used as a standalone OR as a device connected to a PC/Mac/etc.
2) Even though it was rarely mentioned, no one seemed to argue more about the placement of the computer relative to the touch. In other words, some strongly argued against having a computer anywhere near the touch while others didn't ever really say much about this subject. What's the verdict on this and lets go even further. Say we have a Plasma near the touch, does this somehow interfere with the touch?
4) I have been using a PC with a USB based device and some soundcards for my transport and have to say that ANYTHING I have tried via PC sounds aweful. I would rather go back and run an old school Revox B225 through a nice preamp then waste my hi-end pre/dac via the PC. What is it about the PC that gives such garbage sound??? Even coax into a DVD player sounds better!
5) Most have said the PS is irrelevent with the touch, referencing other material where high end PS were used with basically not much of any gains. Erin, though never stating what PS is in use, is the ONLY person to counter this. I'd love to know precisely what Erin is using for a PS and maybe Erin can make some more so others around here can have their go at how it sounds vs. the one in current use.
6) Has anyone ever seen the Alix device, something somewhat similar that runs Linux, uses a USB for a connection, but runs its own server. If so, how would it compare to the Touch?
7) Lastly, is it possible to get good sound through a PC/Mac Mini/etc. or is the "only" or rather "best" way through standalone based servers?