Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › Educate me on MediaCenters for TV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Educate me on MediaCenters for TV

post #1 of 6
Thread Starter 

I have not been impressed or satisfied with the programming line ups from my local cable company.  I enjoy shows that I watch/download from the internet more than what I can get locally.

 

Therefore I am looking for a device that can

 

1. Playback media files

 

or

 

2. Stream live internet contents

 

I know of WDTV with the unofficial firmware.  What else is out there that meets or even surpass WDTV's (with the unofficial firmware) capabilities?  

post #2 of 6
Thread Starter 

I can't believe a forum full of headphone nerds/geeks has not a single suggestion on a multimedia device for home entertainment. tongue.gif

post #3 of 6
Maybe you've answered your own question. biggrin.gif

I have no idea. For what it's worth, I have the new AppleTV. Love it. I can stream Netflix and display photos on the TV. Streaming from iTunes and the radio channels are a nice bonus. But I haven't tried much else. The TV is 99% for watching movies. The other 1% so far was for tuning in the Superbowl on rabbit ears. (That worked suprisingly well, by the way.)

I'm sure someone else here has other suggestions. Maybe this bump will help.
post #4 of 6
Well, a computer with XBMC could do those things, but I'm not sure if that's what you're looking for.
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepsione1 View Post

I know of WDTV with the unofficial firmware.  What else is out there that meets or even surpass WDTV's (with the unofficial firmware) capabilities?  


Why would you need unofficial firmware - WDTV Live Plus streams netflix on top of the usual capability with media files (except RMVB).

500

- Full-HD video playback and navigation - up to 1080p
- Stream Netflix and other online media
- Play almost any type of media file
- Access media anywhere on your home network
- Supports DVD Navigation

I like the interface for WDTV Live Hub - I think it looks slick, but its a tad more expensive because it comes with a 1TB drive built in

500

A high capacity 1 terabyte hard drive and network HD media player in one
- Play media from USB drives, home network, and the Internet on your TV
- Beautifully simple user interface for everyone in the family to use
- Access your Netflix unlimited membership or Blockbuster On Demand and watch movies and TV episodes instantly.
- Collect your media in one place and stream it anywhere in the house.

there are lots of other brands (Asus O!Play, Seagate Freeagent Theater+, Roku, Boxee)
post #6 of 6

Maybe there werent so many replies because there are so many options. I would decide on the services you want to use first (Netflix etc) then look for whatever does what you need. It seems like there are about 20+ devices now and theyre all just a little different from each other. This Roku looks handy though as an option to consider: http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/22/roku-xds-review/

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › Educate me on MediaCenters for TV