Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Choosing between Sennheiser headphones.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Choosing between Sennheiser headphones.

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 

 

Hi, you may know me as the guy who comes on the forums once each month, pokes around, asks about headphones knowing nothing about anything and then leaves, only to repeat.

 

Well here I go again, looking for headphones. But this time I know a bit more.

 

Im looking for some portable headphones. When I say portable, I mean small, not folding up. (Think the Sennheiser HD218-238). I would also prefer a single sided cable that is under 1.5 meters long. They must be very comfortable for someone with glasses and preferably have padding on the headband as well. I would use these in public so closed headphones please. Also, they cant be ugly (well, now Im just being picky). But here's the killer, for under $80.

 

Now for sound, I like everything to be crisp and clear. I don't have an amp nor do I intend on purchasing one. These will be used with my iPod and my laptop. I like some bass too and I like to "feel" it if that makes sense. When a bass drum kicks, I would like to feel it. I mostly listen to Alternative, Jazz, and Hip-hop/Rap.

 

I've been looking at the Sennheiser HD 228's as they have everything I prefer, but there are a lot of mixed reviews around here. Some say that the bass is too much, some say that its not "explosive" like the packaging says, and some say its just plain...bleh.

 

Another headphone I found that I liked was the Senn PX200II's but again, complaints about sound. Im no audiophile btw, but I heard the Bowers & Wilkins P5 headphones at the apple store and would like something similar to them, they sounded amazing. The Dr Dre Beats, not so much. They were comfortable and had the features I want, but seemed a bit to bass-oriented if that makes sense.

 

Or should I just get the HD 238s. They have nothing but good reviews, and I like talking to my friends on the bus while I listen to music too...

 

Is there anything that you can recommend me or should I just go to Apple or Best Buy where I can try them out first? But I doubt Apple has headphones under $80.

 

Also, do you recommend the SendStation PocketDock Line Out Mini USB for improved quality? If anything, it makes one less wire I need to have with me.

 

Thanks

 

EDIT: I would really appreciate a reply. As I made some threads earlier that seemed to go un-noticed. I know Im

post #2 of 10

The HD238 would be a good bet, the pocket station's improvement in sound quality only comes(when using portably) when you pair an amp with the line out function of the adapter.  If you order your headphones through Amazon, you can still return them within 30 days.

post #3 of 10


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroNik View Post


Or should I just get the HD 238s. They have nothing but good reviews, and I like talking to my friends on the bus while I listen to music too...

 

 

Ahh, I have posted on these when they come up, but I don't visit the portable forum much.  I had these, and hated 'em.  Too much bass, way too much, and I couldn't even successfully EQ it down to any degree of satisfaction.  Plus, the pleather pads they have made my ears and sides of my head sweat

 

Hated them.

 

If you like bass, I'd suggest you look at the PX-100 II.  Too much bass for me (I like the older PX-100 which is even tamer in that regard), but the II's wouldn't be near as uncomfortable as the 238's IMO.

 

post #4 of 10
Hi.

I would not recommend the HD238 for outdoor use, they leak too much and have no isolation. They are, however, very confortable.

I only heard the P5 for a short while, but I found its signature to be quite similar to the HD238's, only the 238 beats it in every respect. They both have too much bass.

I have no idea about the HD228.
post #5 of 10

Quote:Originally Posted by MicroNik 


Hi, you may know me as the guy who comes on the forums once each month, pokes around, asks about headphones knowing nothing about anything and then leaves, only to repeat.
Well here I go again, looking for headphones. But this time I know a bit more.
Im looking for some portable headphones. When I say portable, I mean small, not folding up. (Think the Sennheiser HD218-238). I would also prefer a single sided cable that is under 1.5 meters long. They must be very comfortable for someone with glasses and preferably have padding on the headband as well. I would use these in public so closed headphones please. Also, they cant be ugly (well, now Im just being picky). But here's the killer, for under $80.
Now for sound, I like everything to be crisp and clear. I don't have an amp nor do I intend on purchasing one. These will be used with my iPod and my laptop. I like some bass too and I like to "feel" it if that makes sense. When a bass drum kicks, I would like to feel it. I mostly listen to Alternative, Jazz, and Hip-hop/Rap.
I've been looking at the Sennheiser HD 228's as they have everything I prefer, but there are a lot of mixed reviews around here. Some say that the bass is too much, some say that its not "explosive" like the packaging says, and some say its just plain...bleh.
Another headphone I found that I liked was the Senn PX200II's but again, complaints about sound. Im no audiophile btw, but I heard the Bowers & Wilkins P5 headphones at the apple store and would like something similar to them, they sounded amazing. The Dr Dre Beats, not so much. They were comfortable and had the features I want, but seemed a bit to bass-oriented if that makes sense.
Or should I just get the HD 238s. They have nothing but good reviews, and I like talking to my friends on the bus while I listen to music too...
Is there anything that you can recommend me or should I just go to Apple or Best Buy where I can try them out first? But I doubt Apple has headphones under $80.
Also, do you recom try some of akgs lower end models.k eighty one dj is great.looks cool and folds flat.not big and sounds great.good isolation.

post #6 of 10
be careful with the headphone jack on the HD218, 228 and 238 its very fragile, i had the 238 loved the sound but where the cable enters the jack broke twice, and i'm careful with my headphones. Other than that theyre good headphones. The PX200 II sound good but i dont like the bulky volume control. The PX100 II are bassy but sound good, but they are open which isnt good on a bus.
post #7 of 10

Given your criteria, I think all of our qualified products have already been mentioned i.e. HD 218, HD 228, PX 200 II. Other than these, you may want to consider PX 90 (though they're open) or the older PX 200. 

post #8 of 10
Thread Starter 

I think I'll go with the Px200II's. That or the Hd428 since they are cheap on Amazon. Im no super audiophile, but Im sure that even the 428's will be a high quality

post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroNik View Post

I think I'll go with the Px200II's. That or the Hd428 since they are cheap on Amazon. Im no super audiophile, but Im sure that even the 428's will be a high quality

 

I like more the PX200's. They are nice portables, you have to be careful with the cable though. 
 

 

post #10 of 10
Thread Starter 

Well Im no audiophile like I said. Currently, the best sounding headphones I have are old Labtec's from 1995. So anything can be an upgrade..

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Choosing between Sennheiser headphones.