So I am in the market for an amp to power my Beyerdynamic DT990 600 ohm, and I have mostly decided between either the Schiit Valhalla or the Bottlehead Crack. I am not afraid of a little DIY and the price of the crack is attractive, but I really like the design of the Valhalla and have heard nothing but good things. So basically it comes down to which will pair best with the headphones. I listen to a lot of metal (heavy, black, death), indie, and some dubstep.
- productBeyerdynamic DT 990 - 600 Ohmtagged by System, 4/5/11
- productbeyerdynamic Tesla T1tagged by System, 4/5/11
- productBottlehead Crack OTLtagged by System, 4/5/11
- categoryDACstagged by System, 4/5/11
- categoryDesktop Ampstagged by System, 4/5/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 4/5/11
- productSchiit Valhallatagged by System, 4/5/11
Related Forum Threads
- Upgrading Amp, need help. Last post on 1/26/13 at 7:34am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Do I even need a headphone amp (Tesla T1 / Yamaha home cinema amp) Last post on 11/30/13 at 7:52am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- New Balanced Schiit Amps? The information and anticipation thread. Last post on 1/10/13 at 7:31am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Need help in the vast world of Amps:) Last post on 9/11/11 at 4:02am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Little Dot MK IV or Schiit Valhalla for Beyer T1? Last post on 4/18/11 at 11:29pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/4/15
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
For larger views of any of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual imagesINTRODUCTION Firstly I want to thank a local NZ Head-Fier (AudioDHD) for allowing me to spend some time...
Schiit Valhalla vs. Bottlehead Crack
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 44/2/11 at 12:10pm
Hi, I have the DT990 600ohm but haven't had the chance to test the Valhalla nor Lyr with it. However, i do have the 600 ohm Beyer T1 and i've tested (albeit briefly) both the Valhalla and Lyr with that.
The setup was not very ideal, to say the least. Laptop, Nuforce DAC (one of those small dac usb thingies), amp, cans.
I know driving the T1s with the Lyr might be abit of an overkill, but the extra power seemed to help. The volume knob was approximately 1/4 turned down towards the left to achieve the same volume as that of the Vahalla on the T1. (i was listening to the Vahalla with the volume knob at 12 o'clock). Bass seemed to have more slam and grip, whereas the top end seemed to be slightly, slightly more controlled than the Valhalla.
Just my 2cents from the very brief 15 min session that i had. Hope it helps!post #3 of 44/2/11 at 2:05pmThread Starterpost #4 of 47/21/12 at 12:19pmQuote:
What did you go with after all? I also heard good things about La Figaro 332c and Dark voice 336SE and Darkvoice 337.
- Schiit Valhalla vs. Bottlehead Crack
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › D100 PRO-Professional PCM/DSD streaming music transport system of... 4 minutes ago
- › Official Free FLAC File Music Sharing Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Strong Midrange Headphone Suggestions 8 minutes ago
- › Help in planning my desktop setup 9 minutes ago
- › Chord Mojo - The Official Thread .☆*¨*★. Please READ the 3rd... 11 minutes ago
- › FiiO Q5, Flagship DAC/Amp, an Dual DAC, USB/Optical/Coaxial/Line... 12 minutes ago
- › WASAPI / ASIO4ALL / KS in general causes lag 13 minutes ago
- › Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1) 13 minutes ago
- › The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club") 14 minutes ago
- › PS1000 Impressions Thread 24 minutes ago
- › ZhiYin QT5 by Brooko
- › Denon AH-MM400 Music Maniac Over-Ear Headphones by ekolite
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by slowpickr
- › Ghostek GHOHP001 Wireless Bluetooth Headphones, soDrop Series aptX... by Cinder
- › MEE audio M7P Secure-Fit Sports In-Ear Headphones with Mic, Remote,... by suman134
- › Rock Jaw Alfa Genus V2 Earphones with In-Line Mic & 3x Tuning... by suman134
- › ROCK JAW ALFA GENUS by suman134
- › Campfire Audio Lyra by Brooko
- › Brainwavz Hooka by DynamikeB
- › Emotiva Stealth DC-1 | Balanced 24/192 Fully Differential DAC by JoeDoe
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...