So I am in the market for an amp to power my Beyerdynamic DT990 600 ohm, and I have mostly decided between either the Schiit Valhalla or the Bottlehead Crack. I am not afraid of a little DIY and the price of the crack is attractive, but I really like the design of the Valhalla and have heard nothing but good things. So basically it comes down to which will pair best with the headphones. I listen to a lot of metal (heavy, black, death), indie, and some dubstep.
Related Forum Threads
- Upgrading Amp, need help. Last post on 1/26/13 at 7:34am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Do I even need a headphone amp (Tesla T1 / Yamaha home cinema amp) Last post on 6/7/12 at 2:51pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- New Balanced Schiit Amps? The information and anticipation thread. Last post on 1/10/13 at 7:31am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Need help in the vast world of Amps:) Last post on 9/11/11 at 4:02am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Little Dot MK IV or Schiit Valhalla for Beyer T1? Last post on 4/18/11 at 11:29pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)
Edited on 12/28/12
- Diy Beginners GuideEdited on 11/14/12
- Headphone ImpedanceEdited on 8/18/12
Reposting my original review from Amazon.com - these headphones are just too good to be left in the dustbin of history - for instance, I just bought a pair of Monoprice MEP-933, listed everywhere...
Somehow, the Ballad of Jed Clampett comes to mind, as I start to write this. You know, the Beverly Hillbillies. He was living his life, struck gold, and everything changed. That's kind of what...
Hi, Head-fiers. This is my first post as a newbie in the forum. I will give a short introduction of myself. I am 18 years old currently studying in high-school. I love headphones because...
Build Quality: For something hand built, the overall build quality is quite good. Of course, it isn’t nearly as perfect as something from a plastic molding machine but it is far ahead from the...
Disclaimer: My only other good cans to compare these to are Beyerdynamics DT770 (250). I fully realize this review will be biased because of that. So please keep that in mind. This review is my...
Schiit Valhalla vs. Bottlehead Crack
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 44/2/11 at 12:10pm
Hi, I have the DT990 600ohm but haven't had the chance to test the Valhalla nor Lyr with it. However, i do have the 600 ohm Beyer T1 and i've tested (albeit briefly) both the Valhalla and Lyr with that.
The setup was not very ideal, to say the least. Laptop, Nuforce DAC (one of those small dac usb thingies), amp, cans.
I know driving the T1s with the Lyr might be abit of an overkill, but the extra power seemed to help. The volume knob was approximately 1/4 turned down towards the left to achieve the same volume as that of the Vahalla on the T1. (i was listening to the Vahalla with the volume knob at 12 o'clock). Bass seemed to have more slam and grip, whereas the top end seemed to be slightly, slightly more controlled than the Valhalla.
Just my 2cents from the very brief 15 min session that i had. Hope it helps!post #3 of 44/2/11 at 2:05pmThread Starterpost #4 of 47/21/12 at 12:19pmQuote:
What did you go with after all? I also heard good things about La Figaro 332c and Dark voice 336SE and Darkvoice 337.
- Schiit Valhalla vs. Bottlehead Crack
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › Bakoon HPA-21 : Will it achieve High End status ? 10 seconds ago
- › Eddie Current DIY amplifier "Monolith" 33 seconds ago
- › The diary entries of a little girl who is now 30! ~ Part 2 42 seconds ago
- › Head-Fi-dentification! 50 seconds ago
- › HDP R10 Support 1 minute ago
- › iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions,... 1 minute ago
- › W/Rap Sucks 2.0..............................Rap/HipHop... 1 minute ago
- › Music Game IX 2 minutes ago
- › Full Sized Portable Cans Opinions? ($200-$350) 2 minutes ago
- › DX50 a new smaller DAP coming from iBasso. . .Specifications page... 2 minutes ago
- › Philips in-Ear Headphones Crystal Sound SHE9620/28 (Rose Gold) by DozerCSX
- › Sony MDR-NC40 Noise Canceling Headphone (Black) by UmustBKidn
- › Sennheiser Momentum by iSennheiser
- › [Apollo] IEM Upgrade Cable by Effect Audio by ClieOS
- › Audio Technica ATH-M40FS Precision StudioPhones by UmustBKidn
- › JVC Victor Head-band Portable Headphones | HA-S500-B Black... by daleb
- › Koss KSC75 Portable Stereophone Headphones by julian67
- › Astell & Kern AK120 by GSARider
- › Denon AH-D600 by johangrb
- › Sennheiser HD 250 Linear II by xEcuToR
- › Syncing music and making playlists work with... by Currawong
- › Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes by miceblue
- › STAX SR-007 (Omega II) ... A Review After 4... by Currawong
- › List of lossless and high-res music (FLAC,... by ffivaz
- › Beware of the following scams and people... by Currawong
- › Sennheiser 449 Mod Possibly 4 8 Mod by hernan604
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Computer Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable... by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Desktop Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Headphone... by joe