So I am in the market for an amp to power my Beyerdynamic DT990 600 ohm, and I have mostly decided between either the Schiit Valhalla or the Bottlehead Crack. I am not afraid of a little DIY and the price of the crack is attractive, but I really like the design of the Valhalla and have heard nothing but good things. So basically it comes down to which will pair best with the headphones. I listen to a lot of metal (heavy, black, death), indie, and some dubstep.
- productBeyerdynamic DT 990 - 600 Ohmtagged by System, 4/5/11
- productBeyerdynamic Tesla T1tagged by System, 4/5/11
- productBottlehead Crack OTLtagged by System, 4/5/11
- categoryDACstagged by System, 4/5/11
- categoryDesktop Ampstagged by System, 4/5/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 4/5/11
- productSchiit Valhallatagged by System, 4/5/11
Related Forum Threads
- Upgrading Amp, need help. Last post on 1/26/13 at 7:34am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Do I even need a headphone amp (Tesla T1 / Yamaha home cinema amp) Last post on 11/30/13 at 7:52am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- New Balanced Schiit Amps? The information and anticipation thread. Last post on 1/10/13 at 7:31am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Need help in the vast world of Amps:) Last post on 9/11/11 at 4:02am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Little Dot MK IV or Schiit Valhalla for Beyer T1? Last post on 4/18/11 at 11:29pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 12/20/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)Last edited: 7/26/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)Last edited: 12/10/13
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
I must admit It's been quite the journey with the company T-PEOS since I tried their H-100 going way back to October - 2012. Since then I've heard most of T-PEOS mid tier line up including H-200...
This card is really great if you're looking to power higher impedance cans at a bargain price. Another really great thing about this is that it's microphone input is vastly superior to that of most...
I've used most of the old-school brands (Grado, AKG, Sennheiser, Sony, Koss, David Clark, ...) and have tried several of the Jonny-come-latelys, and the HD700s are simply the best for comfort and...
Headphone: LCD-2 rev2 Comparition amp: Schitt Asgard v1 I can't tell how much i love my new Schiit amp - the Mjolnir. However, i remember the mids on my LCD-2 had been more thick and blooming...
I bought this in 2012-06, when my Brainwavz M2 broke. It was given a Sonic Diamond by ClieOS for the pre-order price and 4.2 / 5 for the sound quality, so I expected quite a bit. Unfortunately,...
Schiit Valhalla vs. Bottlehead Crack
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 44/2/11 at 12:10pm
Hi, I have the DT990 600ohm but haven't had the chance to test the Valhalla nor Lyr with it. However, i do have the 600 ohm Beyer T1 and i've tested (albeit briefly) both the Valhalla and Lyr with that.
The setup was not very ideal, to say the least. Laptop, Nuforce DAC (one of those small dac usb thingies), amp, cans.
I know driving the T1s with the Lyr might be abit of an overkill, but the extra power seemed to help. The volume knob was approximately 1/4 turned down towards the left to achieve the same volume as that of the Vahalla on the T1. (i was listening to the Vahalla with the volume knob at 12 o'clock). Bass seemed to have more slam and grip, whereas the top end seemed to be slightly, slightly more controlled than the Valhalla.
Just my 2cents from the very brief 15 min session that i had. Hope it helps!post #3 of 44/2/11 at 2:05pmThread Starterpost #4 of 47/21/12 at 12:19pmQuote:
What did you go with after all? I also heard good things about La Figaro 332c and Dark voice 336SE and Darkvoice 337.
- Schiit Valhalla vs. Bottlehead Crack
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...
- › Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model 26 seconds ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 26 seconds ago
- › Band Name Game II 28 seconds ago
- › HiFiMAN HM-901 - HiFiman visit pg 18. IMGS pg 19. FW:1.084! pg. 1 58 seconds ago
- › THE HYPE.............................. Appreciation Thread. 1 minute ago
- › Portable, closed over-/on-ear phones for mostly metal? 2 minutes ago
- › [TOUR] T-PEOS H-300 - 3 Way Hybrid - Australian Tour Thread -... 2 minutes ago
- › O2 AMP + ODAC 2 minutes ago
- › AKG K3003 High End 3 Way System Headphone 2 minutes ago
- › Dsavitsk/Beezar Torpedo Build Thread 2 minutes ago
- › T-Peos H-300 - 3 Way Hybrid by H20Fidelity
- › Asus Xonar DGX by SSSN
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Headphone by stpope
- › Schiit Mjolnir by tamleo
- › Brainwavz M4 In-Ear Headphones by Kadano
- › FiiO X5 High-res Portable Music Player by KT66
- › Noontec ZOROHDBLK ZORO HD True Sound Headphones with Inline Mic and... by BillsonChang007
- › Hisoundaudio BA100 by Jazmanaut
- › Beats Studio Wireless Over-Ear Headphone by gl0ry
- › AKG K619 Premium DJ Headphones with Mic (Black) by jonnablaze
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude