So I am in the market for an amp to power my Beyerdynamic DT990 600 ohm, and I have mostly decided between either the Schiit Valhalla or the Bottlehead Crack. I am not afraid of a little DIY and the price of the crack is attractive, but I really like the design of the Valhalla and have heard nothing but good things. So basically it comes down to which will pair best with the headphones. I listen to a lot of metal (heavy, black, death), indie, and some dubstep.
- productBeyerdynamic DT 990 - 600 Ohmtagged by System, 4/5/11
- productbeyerdynamic Tesla T1tagged by System, 4/5/11
- productBottlehead Crack OTLtagged by System, 4/5/11
- categoryDACstagged by System, 4/5/11
- categoryDesktop Ampstagged by System, 4/5/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 4/5/11
- productSchiit Valhallatagged by System, 4/5/11
Related Forum Threads
- Upgrading Amp, need help. Last post on 1/26/13 at 7:34am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Do I even need a headphone amp (Tesla T1 / Yamaha home cinema amp) Last post on 11/30/13 at 7:52am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- New Balanced Schiit Amps? The information and anticipation thread. Last post on 1/10/13 at 7:31am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Need help in the vast world of Amps:) Last post on 9/11/11 at 4:02am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Little Dot MK IV or Schiit Valhalla for Beyer T1? Last post on 4/18/11 at 11:29pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 12/5/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/8/14
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
I realize it is a bit of apples vs oranges, but I will compare these to the Sennheiser HD 600 sound, since I sometimes use those to mix recordings with, and many know their sound. Assuming good...
My Amazon Review: I've owned many pieces of high end home audio over the years. Brands like Dali, Audio Research, Krell, Melos, and others. I expect a lot from my gear. In this case, one of the...
About me: I am not an audiology, sound expert or anything professional about audio of short. I am simply just a consumer with a lot of love for musics for years....I purchased this pair, and Would...
Before the Lyr 2 I owned two hybrid headphone amplifiers: the Hifiman EF2A, and the Maverick Audio A1. What both those entry level amplifiers lacked was the power and sonic dynamics to drive my...
I've spent about a month with Cayin N6 DAP, and I'd like to share my thoughts about it. There is few really great reviews of this DAP, so I won't repeat them again, describing it's box,...
Schiit Valhalla vs. Bottlehead Crack
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 44/2/11 at 12:10pm
Hi, I have the DT990 600ohm but haven't had the chance to test the Valhalla nor Lyr with it. However, i do have the 600 ohm Beyer T1 and i've tested (albeit briefly) both the Valhalla and Lyr with that.
The setup was not very ideal, to say the least. Laptop, Nuforce DAC (one of those small dac usb thingies), amp, cans.
I know driving the T1s with the Lyr might be abit of an overkill, but the extra power seemed to help. The volume knob was approximately 1/4 turned down towards the left to achieve the same volume as that of the Vahalla on the T1. (i was listening to the Vahalla with the volume knob at 12 o'clock). Bass seemed to have more slam and grip, whereas the top end seemed to be slightly, slightly more controlled than the Valhalla.
Just my 2cents from the very brief 15 min session that i had. Hope it helps!post #3 of 44/2/11 at 2:05pmThread Starterpost #4 of 47/21/12 at 12:19pmQuote:
What did you go with after all? I also heard good things about La Figaro 332c and Dark voice 336SE and Darkvoice 337.
- Schiit Valhalla vs. Bottlehead Crack
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.6.0 32 seconds ago
- › Three Word Story 1 minute ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 1 minute ago
- › FiiO X3 vs X1 1 minute ago
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 Review 2 minutes ago
- › Centrance Mini-M8 2 minutes ago
- › A poem about bass 3 minutes ago
- › "The Lab" 3 minutes ago
- › SONY NW-ZX2 HI-END DAP 4 minutes ago
- › Audiophiles in Dubai? 4 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 380 PRO Headphones by Zobel
- › PENDULUMIC STANCE S1+ Bluethooth Wireless Headphones by Deckardk
- › JVC KENWOOD In-Ear Headphones HA-FX750 by Whitigir
- › Schiit Lyr 2 by bpandbass
- › Cayin N6 PCM1792A chip DSD lossless music player by cleg
- › OSTRY KC06A Hi-Fi In-Ear High Performance Earphones Headphones by xsuper
- › Brainwavz Delta by vaziyetu
- › JVC Kenwood Victer Stereo Headphones Ha-sz1000 by Hawaiibadboy
- › MEElectronics M9 Classic Hi-Fi Noise-Isolating In-Ear Headphones by pformagg
- › Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H8 by Giogio
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2