So I am in the market for an amp to power my Beyerdynamic DT990 600 ohm, and I have mostly decided between either the Schiit Valhalla or the Bottlehead Crack. I am not afraid of a little DIY and the price of the crack is attractive, but I really like the design of the Valhalla and have heard nothing but good things. So basically it comes down to which will pair best with the headphones. I listen to a lot of metal (heavy, black, death), indie, and some dubstep.
- productBeyerdynamic DT 990 - 600 Ohmtagged by System, 4/5/11
- productBeyerdynamic Tesla T1tagged by System, 4/5/11
- productBottlehead Crack OTLtagged by System, 4/5/11
- categoryDACstagged by System, 4/5/11
- categoryDesktop Ampstagged by System, 4/5/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 4/5/11
- productSchiit Valhallatagged by System, 4/5/11
Related Forum Threads
- Upgrading Amp, need help. Last post on 1/26/13 at 7:34am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Do I even need a headphone amp (Tesla T1 / Yamaha home cinema amp) Last post on 11/30/13 at 7:52am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- New Balanced Schiit Amps? The information and anticipation thread. Last post on 1/10/13 at 7:31am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Need help in the vast world of Amps:) Last post on 9/11/11 at 4:02am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Little Dot MK IV or Schiit Valhalla for Beyer T1? Last post on 4/18/11 at 11:29pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
I like to mod…yes, I am one of those head-fiers. My specific area of interest is Grados, and wooden cups for them. I delight in sourcing cups, finding the drivers, and transforming a prosaic...
The Korean company really needs no introduction at this point. They have proven themselves as a capable IEM maker with a series of top of the line hybrid as well as some good sound yet budget...
These iems are better than some entry levels (Shure 215/ hifiman RE0/ RE 400/ Sennheiser CX300) with a wider soundstage due to the 13mm dynamic driver , however need serious burn in for at least 50...
First, I’d like to thank the folks at Narmoo for providing a sample of their R1M earphones for review. In recent years, the IEM market has sort of exploded, seeing a number of established...
I work with Trance music most ... Before The New released update 3.0 for the thing i wasn't really satisfied with its quality of sound in trance ...but the update Changed everything ,EVERYthing...
- Headphone Impedance
Schiit Valhalla vs. Bottlehead Crack
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Hi, I have the DT990 600ohm but haven't had the chance to test the Valhalla nor Lyr with it. However, i do have the 600 ohm Beyer T1 and i've tested (albeit briefly) both the Valhalla and Lyr with that.
The setup was not very ideal, to say the least. Laptop, Nuforce DAC (one of those small dac usb thingies), amp, cans.
I know driving the T1s with the Lyr might be abit of an overkill, but the extra power seemed to help. The volume knob was approximately 1/4 turned down towards the left to achieve the same volume as that of the Vahalla on the T1. (i was listening to the Vahalla with the volume knob at 12 o'clock). Bass seemed to have more slam and grip, whereas the top end seemed to be slightly, slightly more controlled than the Valhalla.
Just my 2cents from the very brief 15 min session that i had. Hope it helps!
What did you go with after all? I also heard good things about La Figaro 332c and Dark voice 336SE and Darkvoice 337.
- Schiit Valhalla vs. Bottlehead Crack
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Lets Talk Metal 10 seconds ago
- › FiiO E12DIY Limited Edition Version---DIY your own sound ! 1 minute ago
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 2 minutes ago
- › Looking to buy a pair of closed back over ear headphones for ~300USD 2 minutes ago
- › T-PEOS Altone200 - 3 - Way - Hybrid introduction / impressions -... 3 minutes ago
- › Why would 24 bit / 192 khz flac sound any better than 16 bit / 44.1... 3 minutes ago
- › Yamaha PRO Headphones. 4 minutes ago
- › 24bit vs 16bit, the myth exploded! 4 minutes ago
- › Speaker amps for headphones 4 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser Grado Hybrid a.k.a. SennGrado by fleasbaby
- › T-Peos Altone200 by ClieOS
- › SONY MDR-XB30EX-B Black | In-Ear EXTRA BASS Headphones (Japanese... by francopro
- › NarMoo R1M High-Fidelity Noise Isolation Headphones with Mic by TheGame21x
- › FiiO X3 Portable Music Player by ash47
- › Electric Avenues PA2V2 by shak85
- › C&C BH Portable Headphone Amp by shak85
- › Yamaha PRO 500 by cel4145
- › TDK BA200 by Ch1Kn
- › Oppo HA-1 Integrated Headphone DAC and Amplifier. by Xyrium
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Wireless Headphones)