Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › After another IEM (dnb)... Have got HJE900, Eterna v.1, not satisfied with the bass. 200$ budget
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

After another IEM (dnb)... Have got HJE900, Eterna v.1, not satisfied with the bass. 200$ budget

post #1 of 28
Thread Starter 

Hey there again everybody! rolleyes.gif

Just a few months ago I was out on the market for a bass heavy IEM and with a fair amount of convincing I decided to go for HJE900. Well the initial impressions coming from Eterna were quite well lets say I was unimpressed whatsoever. But after a while it just grew on me.

 

Now lets say I'm quite happy with the HJE900 details and overall sound quality but the bass is just not enough for my liking. I do prefer a lot more HJE's more of a sub bass type of bass instead of the Eterna mid-bass hump. 

 

So thats what I'm after right now:

-An IEM with quite good soundstage

-Not to harsh highs

-Very powerful sub-bass type of bass ( quantity and quality wise)

-Fairly good level of isolation for commuting on London underground

 

So far my options are down to:

*Future Sonics Atrio (Mg7) ~170$ (110£) New

*Monster Turbine ~80-90$ from the sale/trade thread

*Hippo VB ~80$ New

*Radius DDM ~150$ (92£ from accessoryjack)

 

I have gone trough jokers and clie'os massive comparison threads but still can't make up my mind.

As it says in the topic it is intended for listening to drum and bass (good 95% of the music I listen is dnb)

 

Could somebody please advise which would be the better option from these 3 IEMs? And what I might miss coming from Eternas and HJE900? And if there are any better options for me.

Thank you in advance. basshead.gif


Edited by Biesas - 3/31/11 at 11:32am
post #2 of 28

radius DDM are Best value IEM on the market and offer top-tier sound solution for under 200 US

BTW, you are in UK? you can also get this directly from UK dealer and this way you do not have to pay VAT fees...

http://www.iheadphones.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=radius

 

Be aware,  DDM don's isolate but you have to set a priority, Isolation vs Sound quality...

Hippo VB are great sounding IEM and are twice cheaper however you can not compare the bass you get from VB vs DDMs.

DDM bass is superb!

 

VB  seem to be hard to find in UK, but Dimitri from  MusicaAcoustics.com told me he has few in stock


Edited by yello131 - 3/30/11 at 4:06pm
post #3 of 28

If you want isolation take the DDM off that list


 

post #4 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawrster View Post

If you want isolation take the DDM off that list


 


Or a halfway decent fit for that matter. The DDM doesn't appear to have even been shaped for human ears. If you want incredibly powerful sub-bass, and an IEM that's fairly good across the board with above average soundstage, I'd recommend the hippo VB. It's a wonderful IEM for the (sub)bass lover. Just be aware that the tips aren't great, so you'd be best off buying replacements. That said, the atrios were recently upgraded with a new driver, so they should offer slightly better sound, as well as (hopefully) better fit and comfort. But this is just speculation on my part, as I only have experience with the VB.

post #5 of 28
Thread Starter 
I thought that might be an issue with the DDM. :/ Rawster, your review of the HJE900 convinced me of getti.g them ;) Yes I do live in UK. So its nearly 30£ difference between getting them from iheadphones.co.uk or getting them from accessoryjack.com . You think the taxes would be more than 30£?
post #6 of 28

I really enjoy the new Atrios and highly recommend them.  The only thing they don't have on your list is a large soundstage but the quality of everything else is superb.  Here is my review of them:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/future-sonics-010-045-atrio-series-m5-earbuds-onyx-black/reviews/4887

post #7 of 28
Thread Starter 
Thanks fot a great review Shane. I'm really leaning towards the Atrios. As I can see you own the HJE900 as well. Maybe you could give me just a slight comparison between the two? Like the difference in each area? Yello, maybe you could PM me or post here the email of Dimitri? I think I'll have to cross out the DDM out of my list cause comfort and isolation are very importat for me, because when the weather gets better in London I'll be cycling to work and I need the IEM to stay put :) Thank you for all your input so far, all of you are being very helpful!
post #8 of 28

Sub bass is a hard thing to get with IEMs.  Even when it's there, it's not really visceral.  I do agree that the HJE900 has strong midbass.  I wouldn't say the sub bass is lacking though, but the midbass is prevalent since the midrange is recessed.  It's easier to notice.  In a way, you are also hinting that you may want more midrange rather than just that bass focus.  Yet, you don't want an analytical earphone that will be light on the bottom end either.

 

If you didn't find the HJE900 overly smoothed, I may point you to the MTPG as an option.  It's got a pretty flat frequency response with excellent note weight and texturing.  It's a little sluggish with complex information, but for what you're using it for and what you're fine with in terms of detail make it a good fit for you.  It offers good bass weight, extension, and balance plus with the flatter response it isn't midbass peaky like what you've been using.  The highs may be smoother than you want(don't think rolled off), but the level of detail and sensitivity up top is still good, at least as good as the HJE900 to which you don't complain about.  The MTPG is a step up with some of the changes that I feel you likely what from what I read from your description.  As for pricing, I suggest looking in the for sale section.  Buying used keeps things cheap, and people tend to not mind shipping worldwide.  As long as someone's selling one, you'll be able to get it to your door for under $200.  Used pairs sell right around the $150 mark typically which does make it a great buy.

 

I will also toss out the Custom 3 as well.  It's been discontinued for over a year now, so they are getting scarce.  However, they provide a hearty, well textured, and dynamic note that suits bass lines, plus they are well balanced to boot.  It's an option I would look into as heavily as the MTPG.  The Custom 3 handles complex stuff better, but the physical product can't compete.  It's all plastic and the cord sucks.  It's best suited to be converted to custom molds rather than used as is, although that may be beneficial to you if you don't mind the custom route.  I am selling a used pair myself that I've had apart.  I have no personal interest in actual custom molds though, but the product is a great candidate for that and lets a person get into such a thing cheap.

 

I sort of want to include the Triple.Fi 10 simply because I feel it's a great earphone for techno, but the midbass thing will be a problem for you and the bottom end does roll off and needs to be EQed.  Still, for techo type songs, I've always liked the Triple.Fi 10 best.  However, for what you say, I would more likely have you shy away from them unless you could EQ them to your liking.  Take that as you like.

 

Similar goes for the UM3X.  I love the bass of this earphone, textured, articulate, dynamic, powerful, and flat as a board, but mids are heavily recessed, and you don't really want that.  The pricing also excludes you.  Perhaps a look into the UM2 might be a more desirable option.  It runs the same high frequency driver as the ER4 but pairs it to a bass driver to provide more lows.  It's a very well liked earphone and should be right around the $200 mark used which makes it tuck down into your budget.  I have personally used the UM3X, but I have never used the UM2.  I can not say from personal experience how it sounds or performs.  I also have not seem a frequency response graph specifically for the UM2, so I am not certain of its gearing.  I've only heard it's a little bassy but decently balanced, more so than say the W3 or UM3X.

post #9 of 28

UM3X and recessed mids? I think we have two different models of this IEM. Mine has almost as forward as Shure E500, but without the hotness.

 

I had UM2 long time ago and from the memory I find them way behind the UM3X. Piercing and sibilant highs, forward midrange, nice but a bit bloated bass.

 

For the price I would recommend the new Atrios for it's beatufil bass and subbass. But remember, that the IEMs has a peak in the upper midrange, which makes it a bit harsh sometimes (but mainly on guitars and cymbals). No sibilance though.

 

post #10 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biesas View Post
 
I think I'll have to cross out the DDM out of my list cause comfort and isolation are very importat for me, because when the weather gets better in London I'll be cycling to work and I need the IEM to stay put :) Thank you for all your input so far, all of you are being very helpful!


the LAST thing I'd want cycling around London is isolation.  

post #11 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biesas View Post

Thanks fot a great review Shane. I'm really leaning towards the Atrios. As I can see you own the HJE900 as well. Maybe you could give me just a slight comparison between the two? Like the difference in each area?Yello, maybe you could PM me or post here the email of Dimitri? I think I'll have to cross out the DDM out of my list cause comfort and isolation are very importat for me, because when the weather gets better in London I'll be cycling to work and I need the IEM to stay put :)Thank you for all your input so far, all of you are being very helpful!

I like the HJE900 for its great distortion guitar crunch.  The treble really sizzles on these!  However I do not find the Panny’s to have much bass at all.  I can hear quality bass and a slight mid bass hump but there is very little quantity to my ears.  Many have said they find the Panny’s to have a V sound sig with recessed mids.  I don’t hear the mids as recessed and hear the sound signature more like _/.  The lack of bass quantity makes the notes sound really thin to me.  It’s really too bad as I think with more bass these would really be special.
 
Overall I find the new Atrios far superior.  The only thing the HJE900’s beat the Atrios on is its treble for me.  However if you find the Panny’s treble too hot, then you will probably like the Atrios treble better.  It is very smooth and non-fatiguing and improved over previous Atrios models.  I think the Atrios mids, bass and sub bass are much better than the Panny’s.  The Atrios have really good timbre, making instruments sound very believable and real.  I don’t think you are going to find better sub bass in a universal than the Atrios.
 
Isolation between the two is similar but the Atrios isolate more with the right tips.  They are more comfortable in the ear than the Panny’s too because they are lighter and do not have the detachable cable bulk.  Be sure and check out this link for a comparison of tips. http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/536912/review-future-sonics-atrios-comparison-between-different-tips
I recommend modding the old Shure e2c tips to fit but the Monster gel supertips (not mentioned in the link) are pretty good too.  However you may like the stock bi-flange tips; I just don’t find bi or tri-flange tips comfortable.
 
Good luck.
 
post #12 of 28
Thread Starter 

 


Once again thank you all for your great inputs! rolleyes.gif

I think I haven't given you all of the information from my side. I think its quite important to say that I don't mind EQ'ing at all. In fact my current EQ settings using HJE900 on my Cowon S9 are:

EQ itself flat apart from 80Hz line which is upped 5db, BBE set 8 out of 10, Mach3Bass set to 10, 3D Surround set at 5, MP enhance On and Stereo Enhance set to 5. And if I listen to it without my E5 the volume is set to 30 out of 40. 

And in all honesty the bass is insufficient for my taste. With these settings it just pushes the HJE900 to the limits, it is just not able to keep up with these setting and starts to distort. And I do find it a bit to harsh in the treble department. 

At first I really loved the Eternas rev.1 when all of the hype was about them and they were my first decent budget IEM but after owning Panny's and getting second pair of Eternas I find them to muddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadsta View Post
the LAST thing I'd want cycling around London is isolation.  


When I cycle I use just 1 earphone ;) by mentioning cycling what I had in mind was comfort over isolation :). 

I think I'm still leaning towards the Atrios.

Just to give all you helpful people an example what I need the IEM to cope with:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KkPtiCjST0&hd=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2xYJUEgmic&hd=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2zJ0CMsxjM

And these track definitely aren't the fastest or bassiest in my playlist ;)

Hope to hear more advice from everybody!

basshead.gif

post #13 of 28

What tips are you using for the Pannies? While they have more mid-bass than sub-bass, certain tips can help bringout that lowest of lows zone. I think the Atrio would be your safest bet, FWIR.

post #14 of 28



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunshane View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by Biesas View Post

Thanks fot a great review Shane. I'm really leaning towards the Atrios. As I can see you own the HJE900 as well. Maybe you could give me just a slight comparison between the two? Like the difference in each area?Yello, maybe you could PM me or post here the email of Dimitri? I think I'll have to cross out the DDM out of my list cause comfort and isolation are very importat for me, because when the weather gets better in London I'll be cycling to work and I need the IEM to stay put :)Thank you for all your input so far, all of you are being very helpful!



I like the HJE900 for its great distortion guitar crunch.  The treble really sizzles on these!  However I do not find the Panny’s to have much bass at all.  I can hear quality bass and a slight mid bass hump but there is very little quantity to my ears.  Many have said they find the Panny’s to have a V sound sig with recessed mids.  I don’t hear the mids as recessed and hear the sound signature more like _/.  The lack of bass quantity makes the notes sound really thin to me.  It’s really too bad as I think with more bass these would really be special.
 
Overall I find the new Atrios far superior.  The only thing the HJE900’s beat the Atrios on is its treble for me.  However if you find the Panny’s treble too hot, then you will probably like the Atrios treble better.  It is very smooth and non-fatiguing and improved over previous Atrios models.  I think the Atrios mids, bass and sub bass are much better than the Panny’s.  The Atrios have really good timbre, making instruments sound very believable and real.  I don’t think you are going to find better sub bass in a universal than the Atrios.
 
Isolation between the two is similar but the Atrios isolate more with the right tips.  They are more comfortable in the ear than the Panny’s too because they are lighter and do not have the detachable cable bulk.  Be sure and check out this link for a comparison of tips. http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/536912/review-future-sonics-atrios-comparison-between-different-tips
I recommend modding the old Shure e2c tips to fit but the Monster gel supertips (not mentioned in the link) are pretty good too.  However you may like the stock bi-flange tips; I just don’t find bi or tri-flange tips comfortable.
 
Good luck.
 

Agree completely
 

 

post #15 of 28
Thread Starter 

I use Meelec's balanced bi-flange tips. Somehow I prefer bi-flange tips over any other silicone tips. Though I have never tried any type of foamies.


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napilopez View Post

What tips are you using for the Pannies? While they have more mid-bass than sub-bass, certain tips can help bringout that lowest of lows zone. I think the Atrio would be your safest bet, FWIR.



 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › After another IEM (dnb)... Have got HJE900, Eterna v.1, not satisfied with the bass. 200$ budget