My Denon AH-D1001 phones just bit the dust and I am now looking for a new set of headphones $150 tops. I have been reading up here on the forum on some headphones and looking around the web at prices, trying to get a best bang for the buck idea. The problem I'm facing is that I can't tell how these headphones people review are going to sound to me by just reading the review. I'm hoping someone can chime in that has listened to the Denon 1001s and can offer some advice as to which is the best upgrade option for what I like. The phones I'm looking at now are the Sennheiser HD-280, Ultrasone HFI-580, Creative Aurvana Live! (same as Denon AH-D1001), and the Superlux 668B. What I want to get out of these new headphones is a little more bass, but not to lose the high/mid response that I had with the Denons. These Denon's were the first real set of headphones that I had....coming from $20 Sony earbuds before that so the difference in sound quality to me was huge and very noticeable. So trying to guess what these other headphones sound like is rather difficult without someone to aid me. Any suggestions on those that I listed given what I'm looking for? Or is there a better option out there that I haven't come across yet?
- productCreative Aurvana Live! Headphonestagged by System, 3/29/11
- productDENON AH-D1001Ktagged by System, 3/7/13
- productDenon AHD1001S On-Ear Headphones (Silver)tagged by System, 3/29/11
- productDENON AH-D1001S Silvertagged by System, 3/7/13
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 3/29/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 3/29/11
- productSennheiser HD 280 Headphonestagged by System, 3/29/11
- productSuperlux HD-668 Btagged by System, 3/29/11
- productUltrasone HFI-580tagged by System, 3/29/11
Related Forum Threads
- Denon AH-D1001 Left Speaker Without Sound Last post on 4/3/11 at 8:22am in Headphones (full-size)
- Novice needs some help selecting quality portables for his daily life. Last post on 10/2/11 at 2:54pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Denon ah-d1001 and Denon ah-d1100 Last post on 9/22/11 at 9:40pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Overwhelmed...best all-around headphones for iPod + <= $100 Last post on 4/12/11 at 3:06am in Headphones (full-size)
- Superlux HD668B are they really that good or just a cheap copycat??? Last post on 8/16/14 at 6:11am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Disclaimer: a. I am in no way affiliated with Fiio b. The X1 audition was a part of a world tour audition. c. There is no monetary or in kind gain due to the audition. With the disclaimer...
I'd say this is a great set of IEMs for its price if you're looking for that consumer v-shaped sound sig. It's not the most balanced sound sig, but for what it is, it sounds pretty good. The mids...
As of September 2014, the HE-400 has been discontinued, and it's successor, the HE-400i is being sold in its place. So why publish, or even read, a review now? First, there are many used...
DAC OCU(B) 1866 — very interesting portable DAC/amp combo from Russian manufacturer Myst. Things I like: — Nice look. As OCUB is made in small quantities, it uses stock case, but case is fully...
Note: I'm not sure why, but for whatever reason the little bars at the side aren't matching what I put them to. Audio Quality, Design, and Value I all consider to be top notch, with comfort having...
Denon AH-D1001 dead, would like slight upgrade..open to suggestions.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 73/28/11 at 7:42pmpost #3 of 73/28/11 at 8:27pm
I'll tell you right now the HD280 are not an upgrade. If you liked the D1001 why not buy them again? Or perhaps look at the higher end Denons?post #4 of 73/28/11 at 8:38pmThread Starter
Yeah, I know the CALs are a bit old, but it's nice they're still around. Thanks for the info, I'll scratch them off my list haha...I did like the 1001s but if there's something out there in the $150 range that sounds better, I was hoping to grab it. If not, I can always settle back on the CAL. I believe the higher end Denons go way over $150 in price. The 2000s are around $300-$350 right? That's a bit beyond what I was expecting to shell out....I do enjoy clean and crisp sound but not that much lol. The 1001s are a $150 MSRP and you can find them around that price online...the next step up looks to be $299, then come the 2000s at $350 MSRP. I'd really like to keep it around $150. Edit: Okay, looks like they have the 1100s now, which seem to have replaced the 1001. I think I might grab those, unless the Ultrasone or the Superlux would be a better buy?
Edited by Slapdaddy - 3/28/11 at 8:46pmpost #5 of 73/28/11 at 11:38pm
yeah the CAL is a good price at $70. If you love your Denon 1001, then get the CAL! I think they usually go for $100. (I live in UK so not sure how your discount works.)
I would also say the 280 isn't an upgrade.
If you want more bass then Ultrasone HFI 580 / DJ1 is or the Audio Technica M50.post #6 of 73/28/11 at 11:57pm
The D1100 are said to have more bass, so take that as you will. If you have patience you could try these: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/545368/review-fischer-audio-fa-011-off-the-deep-end
The review makes them sound wonderful and they are $118, once they are released.post #7 of 73/29/11 at 8:15pmThread Starter
- Denon AH-D1001 dead, would like slight upgrade..open to suggestions.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › The Official Eddie Current 445 Thread 4 minutes ago
- › PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking) 6 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 6 minutes ago
- › Grado modders go Magnum 6 minutes ago
- › FS: Schiit SYS 6 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 6 minutes ago
- › Wow! Sennheiser HD 540 Reference are so good. 6 minutes ago
- › The Astell & Kern AK240 7 minutes ago
- › FS: JDSLabs Standalone ODAC 8 minutes ago
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by hitchhiker
- › Xiaomi Pistons 2.0 MK301 by Midgetguy
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by Rajikaru
- › MyST 1866 by cleg
- › The Enigma by Levaix
- › Bowers & Wilkins C5 S2 In-Ear Headphones, Black by twister6
- › MEElectronics M9-BK Hi-Fi Sound-Isolating Earphones (Black) by lin0003
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by twister6
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by Michaelc136
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by Kamakahah
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)