My Denon AH-D1001 phones just bit the dust and I am now looking for a new set of headphones $150 tops. I have been reading up here on the forum on some headphones and looking around the web at prices, trying to get a best bang for the buck idea. The problem I'm facing is that I can't tell how these headphones people review are going to sound to me by just reading the review. I'm hoping someone can chime in that has listened to the Denon 1001s and can offer some advice as to which is the best upgrade option for what I like. The phones I'm looking at now are the Sennheiser HD-280, Ultrasone HFI-580, Creative Aurvana Live! (same as Denon AH-D1001), and the Superlux 668B. What I want to get out of these new headphones is a little more bass, but not to lose the high/mid response that I had with the Denons. These Denon's were the first real set of headphones that I had....coming from $20 Sony earbuds before that so the difference in sound quality to me was huge and very noticeable. So trying to guess what these other headphones sound like is rather difficult without someone to aid me. Any suggestions on those that I listed given what I'm looking for? Or is there a better option out there that I haven't come across yet?
- productCreative Aurvana Live! Headphonestagged by System, 3/29/11
- productDENON AH-D1001Ktagged by System, 3/7/13
- productDenon AHD1001S On-Ear Headphones (Silver)tagged by System, 3/29/11
- productDENON AH-D1001S Silvertagged by System, 3/7/13
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 3/29/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 3/29/11
- productSennheiser HD 280 Headphonestagged by System, 3/29/11
- productSuperlux HD-668 Btagged by System, 3/29/11
- productUltrasone HFI-580tagged by System, 3/29/11
Related Forum Threads
- Denon AH-D1001 Left Speaker Without Sound Last post on 4/3/11 at 8:22am in Headphones (full-size)
- Novice needs some help selecting quality portables for his daily life. Last post on 10/2/11 at 2:54pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Denon ah-d1001 and Denon ah-d1100 Last post on 9/22/11 at 9:40pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Overwhelmed...best all-around headphones for iPod + <= $100 Last post on 4/12/11 at 3:06am in Headphones (full-size)
- Superlux HD668B are they really that good or just a cheap copycat??? Last post on 8/16/14 at 6:11am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
The HD600 is a pair of excellent sounding cans. They have a balanced, natural sound and the soundstage is remarkably large. I can hear all sorts of sounds while listening to these cans and I can...
Before I begin, I’d like to thank shotgunshane for the opportunity to review these new headphones. My first experience with Brainwavz was when I picked up their M4 a couple of years ago. I was...
I have used this amp for about a year now, and I must say it has served me well. POWER Through many different headphones, the FiiO E09K hasn't skipped a beat, and has driven everything from...
Using WASAPI, ASIO and onboard stock drivers yielded the exact same result. Same sound quality and same sound coloration. Unless you are suffering from serious EMI and static noise then these dont...
This is a review of TTPOD T1E dual dynamic driver in-ear headphones. http://penonaudio.com/TTPOD-T1E-Bass Here you go, another in-ear headphone gem for under $50! Though I was a bit skeptical...
Denon AH-D1001 dead, would like slight upgrade..open to suggestions.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 73/28/11 at 7:42pmpost #3 of 73/28/11 at 8:27pm
I'll tell you right now the HD280 are not an upgrade. If you liked the D1001 why not buy them again? Or perhaps look at the higher end Denons?post #4 of 73/28/11 at 8:38pmThread Starter
Yeah, I know the CALs are a bit old, but it's nice they're still around. Thanks for the info, I'll scratch them off my list haha...I did like the 1001s but if there's something out there in the $150 range that sounds better, I was hoping to grab it. If not, I can always settle back on the CAL. I believe the higher end Denons go way over $150 in price. The 2000s are around $300-$350 right? That's a bit beyond what I was expecting to shell out....I do enjoy clean and crisp sound but not that much lol. The 1001s are a $150 MSRP and you can find them around that price online...the next step up looks to be $299, then come the 2000s at $350 MSRP. I'd really like to keep it around $150. Edit: Okay, looks like they have the 1100s now, which seem to have replaced the 1001. I think I might grab those, unless the Ultrasone or the Superlux would be a better buy?
Edited by Slapdaddy - 3/28/11 at 8:46pmpost #5 of 73/28/11 at 11:38pm
yeah the CAL is a good price at $70. If you love your Denon 1001, then get the CAL! I think they usually go for $100. (I live in UK so not sure how your discount works.)
I would also say the 280 isn't an upgrade.
If you want more bass then Ultrasone HFI 580 / DJ1 is or the Audio Technica M50.post #6 of 73/28/11 at 11:57pm
The D1100 are said to have more bass, so take that as you will. If you have patience you could try these: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/545368/review-fischer-audio-fa-011-off-the-deep-end
The review makes them sound wonderful and they are $118, once they are released.post #7 of 73/29/11 at 8:15pmThread Starter
- Denon AH-D1001 dead, would like slight upgrade..open to suggestions.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › FiiO X5 firmware's Sound Quality 26 seconds ago
- › FiiO X1, the first high-res DAP for the young ! 34 seconds ago
- › B.M.C. Announces PureDAC 35 seconds ago
- › AKG K3003i 49 seconds ago
- › Rumor: New Sennheiser Flagship to be surfaced ........ soon 1 minute ago
- › Need help! Amp recommendations? 1 minute ago
- › Little Bear p-2 chinese tube amp with new IRF510 mosfets sounds... 1 minute ago
- › Mytek Manhattan : PCM/DSD DAC-Pre With Headphone AMP 1 minute ago
- › I got kicked out of Stereo Exchange 3 minutes ago
- › Tiny DAC, Big Sound, Evolved – Stoner Acoustics UD100 / UD110 / UD120 3 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 600 by freedom04
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by ZapX629
- › FiiO E09K by MacroPower
- › FiiO Andes (E07K) Portable USB DAC and Headphone Amplifier -... by wigglepuff
- › TTPOD T1-E High Definition Dual Dynamic Professional In-ear Earphone by twister6
- › Havi B3 Pro 1 by bhazard
- › AKG K712 Pro by achelgeson
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by Barra
- › PHILIPS-HEADPHONES SHQ1200/28 SHQ1200/28 SPORTS IN EAR HEADPHONES by dieTasse
- › Beats by Dr. Dre Tour In-Ear Headphones by juston
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)