My Denon AH-D1001 phones just bit the dust and I am now looking for a new set of headphones $150 tops. I have been reading up here on the forum on some headphones and looking around the web at prices, trying to get a best bang for the buck idea. The problem I'm facing is that I can't tell how these headphones people review are going to sound to me by just reading the review. I'm hoping someone can chime in that has listened to the Denon 1001s and can offer some advice as to which is the best upgrade option for what I like. The phones I'm looking at now are the Sennheiser HD-280, Ultrasone HFI-580, Creative Aurvana Live! (same as Denon AH-D1001), and the Superlux 668B. What I want to get out of these new headphones is a little more bass, but not to lose the high/mid response that I had with the Denons. These Denon's were the first real set of headphones that I had....coming from $20 Sony earbuds before that so the difference in sound quality to me was huge and very noticeable. So trying to guess what these other headphones sound like is rather difficult without someone to aid me. Any suggestions on those that I listed given what I'm looking for? Or is there a better option out there that I haven't come across yet?
- productCreative Aurvana Live! Headphonestagged by System, 3/29/11
- productDENON AH-D1001Ktagged by System, 3/7/13
- productDenon AHD1001S On-Ear Headphones (Silver)tagged by System, 3/29/11
- productDENON AH-D1001S Silvertagged by System, 3/7/13
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 3/29/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 3/29/11
- productSennheiser HD 280 Headphonestagged by System, 3/29/11
- productSuperlux HD-668 Btagged by System, 3/29/11
- productUltrasone HFI-580tagged by System, 3/29/11
Related Forum Threads
- Denon AH-D1001 Left Speaker Without Sound Last post on 4/3/11 at 8:22am in Headphones (full-size)
- Novice needs some help selecting quality portables for his daily life. Last post on 10/2/11 at 2:54pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Denon ah-d1001 and Denon ah-d1100 Last post on 9/22/11 at 9:40pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Superlux HD668B are they really that good or just a cheap copycat??? Last post on 7/20/14 at 6:08am in Headphones (full-size)
- Help in choosing Last post on 5/28/12 at 10:23pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Got a good local deal on these as the are being replaced by the SoundTrue variant, which as far as I can tell, only adds a case and different colors. The Bose AE2 are a very lightweight...
Design and Comfort S5 is a new higher-end in-ear-monitor from Brainwavz retailing at about US$100. I’m glad Brainwavz has offerings at most price points below $200. It's great that companies such...
RockJaw is an up and coming headphone company from Great Britain starting strong with a huge lineup. The Alfa Genus is one of their midrange offerings and offers a certain special something that is...
Bought the active noise cancelling version of these as a daily deal on Amazon for <$20. Active noise cancelling completely broken on both my original unit and the replacement - so on one hand...
Thanks to Oppo Digital Japan for allowing us to borrow the PM-1 and HA-1. Oppo coming out with a pair of headphones was quite a surprised, especially a pair of planars. Likewise the HA-1,...
Denon AH-D1001 dead, would like slight upgrade..open to suggestions.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 73/28/11 at 7:42pmpost #3 of 73/28/11 at 8:27pm
I'll tell you right now the HD280 are not an upgrade. If you liked the D1001 why not buy them again? Or perhaps look at the higher end Denons?post #4 of 73/28/11 at 8:38pmThread Starter
Yeah, I know the CALs are a bit old, but it's nice they're still around. Thanks for the info, I'll scratch them off my list haha...I did like the 1001s but if there's something out there in the $150 range that sounds better, I was hoping to grab it. If not, I can always settle back on the CAL. I believe the higher end Denons go way over $150 in price. The 2000s are around $300-$350 right? That's a bit beyond what I was expecting to shell out....I do enjoy clean and crisp sound but not that much lol. The 1001s are a $150 MSRP and you can find them around that price online...the next step up looks to be $299, then come the 2000s at $350 MSRP. I'd really like to keep it around $150. Edit: Okay, looks like they have the 1100s now, which seem to have replaced the 1001. I think I might grab those, unless the Ultrasone or the Superlux would be a better buy?
Edited by Slapdaddy - 3/28/11 at 8:46pmpost #5 of 73/28/11 at 11:38pm
yeah the CAL is a good price at $70. If you love your Denon 1001, then get the CAL! I think they usually go for $100. (I live in UK so not sure how your discount works.)
I would also say the 280 isn't an upgrade.
If you want more bass then Ultrasone HFI 580 / DJ1 is or the Audio Technica M50.post #6 of 73/28/11 at 11:57pm
The D1100 are said to have more bass, so take that as you will. If you have patience you could try these: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/545368/review-fischer-audio-fa-011-off-the-deep-end
The review makes them sound wonderful and they are $118, once they are released.post #7 of 73/29/11 at 8:15pmThread Starter
- Denon AH-D1001 dead, would like slight upgrade..open to suggestions.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Comparisons: 19 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around 1 second ago
- › Band Name Game II 42 seconds ago
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 56 seconds ago
- › Is anyone building the KGSSHV? 59 seconds ago
- › Westone UM PRO Series Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion 2 minutes ago
- › Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition 2 minutes ago
- › Wondering about balanced warm/mid-centric IEM choice at under $100 2 minutes ago
- › Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Crack;Bottlehead OTL 3 minutes ago
- › Bose®AE2 audio headphones by Blinxat
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by kingpage
- › ROCK JAW ALFA GENUS by Ishcabible
- › Phiaton PS 20 Half In-Ear Premium Earphone (Glossy Black) by DrikTheTroll
- › Oppo HA-1 Integrated Headphone DAC and Amplifier. by Currawong
- › JayBird BlueBuds X Sport Bluetooth Headphones - Midnight Black by wpfloridian
- › Yamaha PRO 500 by VanCitySound
- › Creative Sound Blaster Z Series ZXR (70SB151000000) Sound Card by Nada190
- › ASUS Essence STX II by raymond555
- › iFi Nano iDSD by elmura
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)