My Denon AH-D1001 phones just bit the dust and I am now looking for a new set of headphones $150 tops. I have been reading up here on the forum on some headphones and looking around the web at prices, trying to get a best bang for the buck idea. The problem I'm facing is that I can't tell how these headphones people review are going to sound to me by just reading the review. I'm hoping someone can chime in that has listened to the Denon 1001s and can offer some advice as to which is the best upgrade option for what I like. The phones I'm looking at now are the Sennheiser HD-280, Ultrasone HFI-580, Creative Aurvana Live! (same as Denon AH-D1001), and the Superlux 668B. What I want to get out of these new headphones is a little more bass, but not to lose the high/mid response that I had with the Denons. These Denon's were the first real set of headphones that I had....coming from $20 Sony earbuds before that so the difference in sound quality to me was huge and very noticeable. So trying to guess what these other headphones sound like is rather difficult without someone to aid me. Any suggestions on those that I listed given what I'm looking for? Or is there a better option out there that I haven't come across yet?
- productCreative Aurvana Live! Headphonestagged by System, 3/29/11
- productDENON AH-D1001Ktagged by System, 3/7/13
- productDenon AHD1001S On-Ear Headphones (Silver)tagged by System, 3/29/11
- productDENON AH-D1001S Silvertagged by System, 3/7/13
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 3/29/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 3/29/11
- productSennheiser HD 280 Headphonestagged by System, 3/29/11
- productSuperlux HD-668 Btagged by System, 3/29/11
- productUltrasone HFI-580tagged by System, 3/29/11
Related Forum Threads
- Denon AH-D1001 Left Speaker Without Sound Last post on 4/3/11 at 8:22am in Headphones (full-size)
- Novice needs some help selecting quality portables for his daily life. Last post on 10/2/11 at 2:54pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Denon ah-d1001 and Denon ah-d1100 Last post on 9/22/11 at 9:40pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Overwhelmed...best all-around headphones for iPod + <= $100 Last post on 4/12/11 at 3:06am in Headphones (full-size)
- Superlux HD668B are they really that good or just a cheap copycat??? Last post on 4/7/15 at 4:56am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I had these a while back and found them to be pretty good alas they did have a couple things that spoiled them. Comfort: Finding the best earbuds took a bit of time. Although once you did,...
DUNU TITAN 1 - QUICK REVIEW photos taken from the internet Specifications Driver: 13mm Titanium Diaphragm Dynamic Driver Impedance:16Ω Sensitivity: 90+- 2dB Reproduction Frequency:...
At the time this review was written, the MKLL M-1 was on sale for $79.00 USD on Penon Audio’s website. Here is a link to a listing of their product at the time of the...
My review is based on the loaner pair that Oppo sent to me as part of their PM3 loaner program. My gratitude to Oppo for giving me this opportunity to demo their product. Oppo is known for...
For larger views of any of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual images INTRODUCTION My introduction to DUNU Topsound (18 months ago) was with their triple hybrid DN-1000,...
Denon AH-D1001 dead, would like slight upgrade..open to suggestions.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 73/28/11 at 7:42pmpost #3 of 73/28/11 at 8:27pm
I'll tell you right now the HD280 are not an upgrade. If you liked the D1001 why not buy them again? Or perhaps look at the higher end Denons?post #4 of 73/28/11 at 8:38pmThread Starter
Yeah, I know the CALs are a bit old, but it's nice they're still around. Thanks for the info, I'll scratch them off my list haha...I did like the 1001s but if there's something out there in the $150 range that sounds better, I was hoping to grab it. If not, I can always settle back on the CAL. I believe the higher end Denons go way over $150 in price. The 2000s are around $300-$350 right? That's a bit beyond what I was expecting to shell out....I do enjoy clean and crisp sound but not that much lol. The 1001s are a $150 MSRP and you can find them around that price online...the next step up looks to be $299, then come the 2000s at $350 MSRP. I'd really like to keep it around $150. Edit: Okay, looks like they have the 1100s now, which seem to have replaced the 1001. I think I might grab those, unless the Ultrasone or the Superlux would be a better buy?
Edited by Slapdaddy - 3/28/11 at 8:46pmpost #5 of 73/28/11 at 11:38pm
yeah the CAL is a good price at $70. If you love your Denon 1001, then get the CAL! I think they usually go for $100. (I live in UK so not sure how your discount works.)
I would also say the 280 isn't an upgrade.
If you want more bass then Ultrasone HFI 580 / DJ1 is or the Audio Technica M50.post #6 of 73/28/11 at 11:57pm
The D1100 are said to have more bass, so take that as you will. If you have patience you could try these: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/545368/review-fischer-audio-fa-011-off-the-deep-end
The review makes them sound wonderful and they are $118, once they are released.post #7 of 73/29/11 at 8:15pmThread Starter
- Denon AH-D1001 dead, would like slight upgrade..open to suggestions.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › SONY NW-ZX2 HI-END DAP 14 seconds ago
- › Headphone shoot-out: NAD VISO HP50, B&W P7, PSB M4U2, Denon AH-MM400 16 seconds ago
- › "The Lab" 20 seconds ago
- › MrSpeakers Ether Impressions Thread 20 seconds ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 1 minute ago
- › Apple EarPods Appreciation Thread 1 minute ago
- › ZMF Omni - Upcoming Semi Open Flagship 1 minute ago
- › The Best IEM's for Bass are...... (The IEM Bass club) 2 minutes ago
- › Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics 2 minutes ago
- › GUSTARD H10 High-current Discrete Class A output Stage Headphone... 3 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser CX 880 Premium Ear Canal Headphones by interpolate
- › Dunu TITAN 1 — titanium-coated diaphragm earphones by Paulus XII
- › MKLL M-1 in-ear monitor by Hisoundfi
- › OPPO PM-3 by Za Warudo
- › DUNU DN-2000J by Brooko
- › Null Audio Vitesse Copper Cable by MikePortnoy
- › Aune B1 by Cotnijoe
- › Schiit Audio Valhalla 2 by WifiWizard
- › AKG K612 PRO Reference Studio Headphones by rigodeni
- › RHA MA750 by fableofgod
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2