Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Superlux Express Train
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Superlux Express Train - Page 61

post #901 of 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless1 View Post

I prefer the clarity of the 668 over the newer 240.  The old school 240's were fantastic, the new ones are not even comparable.

  I was replying to the fact that you said they failed at trying to emulate the sound of the 240, they did not, they have more in common with a Dt990 witch also has a treble spike and enhanced bass.
the k240 doesn't have enhanced bass. Lower mids and a small portion of the upper bass by 4db yes... The clarity? Goldenears.net ranked the k240 as less boomy, more analytical, more natural, and more balances than the superlux hd668. The k240, sorry to say, is much more linear and neutral in its response. I somehow come to doubt you have tried the new k240. Its the same headphones as the K240 Monitor from the 80's. While it may not be a sextett, it was designed by akg to at least be almost as good as the sextett. They had a bunch of people compare the sextett and the monitor to make sure it at least came close... Which it did.
Edited by DisCHORDDubstep - 6/4/14 at 1:11pm
post #902 of 975

HD681 is quite neutral up to 5 kHz. After that it's spiky but if you manage to lower spiky treble it become much better headphone. Bass is bit boomy but if you add a loose 50mm cotton wool pad (with a hole in the center) inside the cup it becomes punchier. Just my tips :)

post #903 of 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisCHORDDubstep View Post


that sounds right. I've read multiple reviews say they are very bright.

 

Talking about the 681 EVO only:

 

@metal571 That might have been true when they were released (and hence a lot of reviewers reviewed them) but is not true for the current release EVOs. They tamed the highs pretty early in it's lifecycle. If you buy one now it's a much better balanced headphone. It's true that the early versions were said to shrill and have harsh treble but not anymore. You can take a look at my profile, I have a few Superlux besides other headphones and I am not a fan of shrill, sibilant or treble heavy headphones. I can tell you that for the money, this is one of the best sounding headphones, with amazing deep bass btw. (although can become a bit boomy depending on the amp you use).

 

EDIT: review: http://www.head-fi.org/t/670051/review-superlux-hd681-evo

 

Cheers,

K


Edited by Koolpep - 6/4/14 at 10:35pm
post #904 of 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolpep View Post
 

 

Talking about the 681 EVO only:

 

@metal571 That might have been true when they were released (and hence a lot of reviewers reviewed them) but is not true for the current release EVOs. They tamed the highs pretty early in it's lifecycle. If you buy one now it's a much better balanced headphone. It's true that the early versions were said to shrill and have harsh treble but not anymore. You can take a look at my profile, I have a few Superlux besides other headphones and I am not a fan of shrill, sibilant or treble heavy headphones. I can tell you that for the money, this is one of the best sounding headphones, with amazing deep bass btw. (although can become a bit boomy depending on the amp you use).

 

EDIT: review: http://www.head-fi.org/t/670051/review-superlux-hd681-evo

 

Cheers,

K

Cool man, I might look into them. I always want to have cans at that price point that I can recommend to people.

post #905 of 975

Any news on the Superlux 685?

post #906 of 975

I heard the HD685 today --- pretty nice!

 

The build quality actually feels quite robust and, dare I say, luxurious? The metal accents are actually still plastic, but it's high quality plastic. The cups use the soft texture plastic, which feels great. The ear pads are in typical Superlux fashion still not very permissive of venting and thus your ears will feel stuffy, but overall, the comfort is great. I like the feel of the leatherette headband. There's an elastic retainer contained within the headband that helps pad your head.

 

Sound-wise, I didn't take a serious listen, but it's overall quite pleasant. Good midrange tonality --- warm but articulate. Bass is not as tight as I would desire (for reference, I consider the bass on the NAD HP50 tight) but the overall response should be pleasing for a majority of folk.

 

I like it. It's a big step up in terms of aesthetics for the firm, and the sound is well-tuned enough.

post #907 of 975

How did you get to listen to them?

post #908 of 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEndGame View Post  How did you get to listen to them?

 

I live in Taiwan. Superlux is a Taiwanese company.

post #909 of 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomscy2000 View Post

I live in Taiwan. Superlux is a Taiwanese company.

So, are they already available in Taiwan? If yes for which price? I have a friend in your country so he could get them for me if they are available....
Many thanks,
K
post #910 of 975
Probably twice expensive as hd681. Build quality is good.
post #911 of 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miiksu View Post

Probably twice expensive as hd681. Build quality is good.


I only paid $25 for my HD681s. If I can buy the HD685 for $50, I'll take one right now.............

post #912 of 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolpep View Post
 

 

I can tell you that for the money, this is one of the best sounding headphones, with amazing deep bass btw. (although can become a bit boomy depending on the amp you use).

 

 

Cheers,

K

 

I wholeheartedly agree. 

 

I like the EVO so much I just bought another one.  Now I have a black one and a white one.  I honestly think I could sell 90% of the rest of my collection and be perfectly happy from here on out with just my EVOs and my standard HD681.  They are that good.

post #913 of 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolpep View Post  So, are they already available in Taiwan? If yes for which price? I have a friend in your country so he could get them for me if they are available....

 

Not yet. The dealers just got them. I happened to be around when they were testing them out. I think they'll be officially releasing them before the end of the month. I didn't get an exact price, but they said it was ~2000 NT, which is <$70 USD. Assume more just to be safe.

post #914 of 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomscy2000 View Post

Not yet. The dealers just got them. I happened to be around when they were testing them out. I think they'll be officially releasing them before the end of the month. I didn't get an exact price, but they said it was ~2000 NT, which is <$70 USD. Assume more just to be safe.

Awesome, thanks a lot for the info. I guess international retail will be around $99 then. Just sold 2 superluxi yesterday to make space.

Cheers,
K
post #915 of 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boochie View Post
 


I only paid $25 for my HD681s. If I can buy the HD685 for $50, I'll take one right now.............

I was thinking more like 60€ = 82$.  For me HD681EVO was flop. If HD685 does not bring atleast HD681 audio quality in cloed back probably not worth it.


Edited by Miiksu - 6/7/14 at 4:31am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Superlux Express Train