662f roll off the bass which I assume would make the mids more pronounced (and the highs) but to be honest I am just going by the frequency response graphs and can only report on the CAD. I have not tested the various hd662 models nor have I found someone who has. I will say that from what I have read the Superlux cans in general have a bright sound signature, some more than others. If you found them too bright I don't think it would be hard at all to find some thin foam or material to put over the driver. My CAD have a sound absorbing foam over the driver and I have never felt a need to add anything more. The bass on the CAD ( which I assume is a hd662 ) is strong but not overly exaggerated. They are certainly not mid centric like a Sennheiser hd5XX series, but few closed headphones are.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Samson SR850 (Superlux OEM) Review: A $50 Budget Champion. Last post on 12/4/13 at 9:49pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Christmas Headphones?! Last post on 1/4/12 at 12:56am in Headphones (full-size)
- Need help picking a set. Last post on 11/8/11 at 9:03pm in Headphones (full-size)
- SAMSON SR850 VS. SUPERLUX HD 681 Last post on 9/15/11 at 11:46pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Which one? Samson SR850 or Superlux HD 681? Last post on 9/7/11 at 10:11pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I've completed my review on this headphone and it is currently waiting to go live elsewhere first. After a few days, it will be posted here. This headphone is a real winner. I am truly amazed by...
AK120 I feel like there is an epidemic looming over the heads of most Hi-Fi audio music player designers. Most just can't seem to get it right and so few end up with a solid...
first thing first , if you have doubts , please let me clear them , these are some of the best $20 phones in this world . secondly , thanks to razzer001 , thanks man ,...
OVERVIEW The Effect Studio Thor Silver IEM Upgrade cable is the new flagship made from quad-braided pure UPOCC silver that has been cryo treated and put together with Cardas silver solder. The...
So, I've owned the 4.A and 4.ai as well as the ER4S and wanted to try something different. In retrospect, I almost pulled the trigger on the Noble 4, but I recall that the infamous dip with the...
Superlux Express Train - Page 20post #286 of 7613/5/12 at 11:32pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #287 of 7613/5/12 at 11:58pmhi, i would tell that you need add in first page another place where you can buy it.
there is all superlux products.
for example i got hd668b $40 shipped internationaly. hd380 costs under $20 and so on.post #288 of 7613/6/12 at 1:55ampost #289 of 7613/7/12 at 7:21am
I'm on the Superlux train 2 I got Superlux HD 661.
Didn't really had time 2 burn them in but I have around 40h on them. Most of it on my ears.
I got 2 say that they are amazing and "fun" sounding for 35 euros HP. Especially 4 closed hp [usually I don't like closed hp]. Good sound stage and nice instrument separation. 4 some music I use Dolby HP and it's heaven!
- Only downside is comfort. They squeeze tight and earpads are not that good and tick + they can get a little sweaty...especially when I'm on the move and have my hoody on.
I'll post more detailed feedback after 200+ hours.
btw I have some velour ear pads around the house that are not a perfect fit [little bigger] but they can work 4 when I'm at home.
Here are some bad pictures with velour pads
post #290 of 7613/11/12 at 10:34am
I'm looking for some new cans since someone stole my AD700s...I liked the sound signature of those. I miss the soundstage and detail, but I hated how anemic the bass was. I would avoid dubstep and hip hop when I had those, which are two of my favorite genres... Jazz and classical blew me away with those, and sometimes various subgenres of metal but of course I was lacking the bass impact with death metal and such, so I found it better for symphonic types.
Anyhow, enough rambling. If it is possible to compare cans to IEMs, I like the sound signature of the Denon C551 and C7xx series, the Fischer Audio Eterna, and Xears n3i.
I want something warm and fun but retaining clarity. I am a basshead...love deep, punchy bass, but I can compromise a little. I listen to a lot of death metal, dubstep, indie, and hip hop, but I love music all across the board, so I want something versatile and not just suited to a few particular genres. You see the IEMs that I was fond of, perhaps the Eternas more than anything, and I found them great for anything I threw at them, and was pleasantly surprised by the bass.
I like that Superlux offers semi-open cans because that style should be a good balance between bass impact and soundstage. That said, I was looking at the HD681 because they're on Amazon, but first heard of Superlux because of the 668b. Help me decide between the two, or maybe point me in a different direction in this line.
The designs are deplorable, and I said I would never go back to pleather earpads again after being spoiled by velour, but...the prices are seducing this broke college student.
Nearly forgot to mention that I would occasionally be using my Minibox D to drive these (although I no longer have the power cable/charger...help?) but would primarily be running them straight out of my Zune, netbook, or PC without a soundcard.
Edited by ashxcore - 3/11/12 at 11:04ampost #291 of 7613/11/12 at 11:07ampost #292 of 7613/11/12 at 11:07ampost #293 of 7613/17/12 at 4:09ampost #294 of 7613/17/12 at 7:34amQuote:
Looks like the Superlux HD681 with a new paint job.
The HD668B and Samson SR850 have slightly different grills.post #295 of 7613/17/12 at 8:21am
Yeah I know that they look like hd681 but I just want 2 make sure cause they are like 35 euros in my country and 681 are 19 euros in germany and I'm getting Beyerdynamics 200/250 velour pads from there anyway.. It's look like they are b681b
Edited by Don Workinson - 3/17/12 at 8:26ampost #296 of 7613/22/12 at 11:15pm
Got a pair of HD681 and HD668B to try out. So far, nothing really stands out about them, but nothing really goes against them, either. I find this interesting because I thought they would sound similar to my Sony 7506 (which I actually dislike very much*) since I've heard so much about the enhanced treble of these phones.
The HD681 and the HD668B sound remarkably similar, though, IMO. The HD681 does dig deeper in the bass (at the cost of sounding ever so slightly muddier), and the 668B trumps the 681 during complex passages (with the 668B, you can still discern a lot of separation).
Will let you guys know after more burn-in, etc!
*but still keep around to use as comparison, since they are standards in the studio.post #297 of 7613/23/12 at 1:16amQuote:
here's this excellent pdf from Superlux again with all the graphs and direct comparison to competitors cans they come closest to. There's some better larger graphs I think at their site.
I have to get the newer one sometime but this has all the 662 models and the others. have you seen it yet? Anyhow here it is.
Edited by nick n - 3/23/12 at 1:19ampost #298 of 7613/27/12 at 1:54am
Okay, I've had some more time to play around with the 681 and the 668B now. I prefer the 681 much better for listening to music (they are also more comfortable for me!). I do like the bass response of the 681, and I feel still give a good treble and midrange presentation. The 668B in comparison sound much more forward and upfront, and sounds a bit abrasive, IMO. Bummer, because I do like the removable cables of the 668B!
The 681 is definitely a keeper, though! Showed them to a non-audiophile friend and he was amazed that they were $36.post #299 of 7613/27/12 at 7:36am
Yeah. I read it. Although the removable cable on 669 is nice, I think one of 662 series is right. In real life which is less bright? based on the frequency rsponse all seems a bit bright on the high frequency.post #300 of 7614/3/12 at 6:29pm
- Superlux Express Train
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Short, Review: AudioFly AF78/m (SFW) 1 minute ago
- › Cello music! 1 minute ago
- › KOSS ESP-950 Thread 1 minute ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 2 minutes ago
- › Best classical recordings...ever! 2 minutes ago
- › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** 2 minutes ago
- › Audiotechnica ATH-A900X vs Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO 250 OHM 3 minutes ago
- › Songs for making love... <3 3 minutes ago
- › Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics 3 minutes ago
- › NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!! 3 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz Delta by IEMagnet01
- › NAD Electronics VISO HP50 Noise-Isolating Over-Ear Headphones by 24Bit
- › Astell & Kern AK120 by 24Bit
- › Effect Audio Thor cable by average_joe
- › Heir Audio Tzar 350 by alpha421
- › Panasonic RP-HC720-K Over Ear Headphones Noise Canceling 95% by oostrov
- › iFi iCAN headphone amplifier by tdockweiler
- › COWON J3 32 GB Portable Media Player (Black) by lexangl
- › Creative Aurvana Live! 2 Headset with 40mm Drivers and In-Line Mic... by TThorsen
- › EB92 In-Ear MicroFit Monitors by MadMusicJunkie
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe