Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Samson SR850 (Superlux OEM) Review: A $50 Budget Champion.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Samson SR850 (Superlux OEM) Review: A $50 Budget Champion. - Page 16

post #226 of 278

Well I'm very impressed with the 850's!! Out of the box I really was taken back by how great they sound. Quite a few hours of burn-in and usage has lapsed and I'm now converted! L3000.gif

 

I'll be comparing the sound of sr850's to my Ath Ckm500's which I've been using over summer down here in Australia. I also have the Jaycar/Fa-003's and I use to have a pair of Ath Ad700's which are now passed on to my dear friend. beerchug.gif

 

The setup is running off my computer via SSD/Foobar/Flac/Optical>Jaycar DAC>Cmoy BB>Superlux Samson SR850's:

 

(This First Impressions is only meant to be a reflection of my personal experience with the 850's!) 

 

First Impression no.1Nice solid construction, felt very well put together. No rattles or creaks and very light in my hands. (I felt the Ad700 were abit more delicate and flip/flop around abit) The colouring scheme is very understated. I personally love the look as it has that 'batman' feel to it. But seriously I love the look of the design as a whole!

 

First Impression no.2: These headphones are really easy to get on and off, the clamp force is fairly minimal fits my head very well and holds firmly in place. The ear pads don't bother me at all, infact I prefer them more than the Ad700. Again the clamp force is nowhere near as hard as the Jaycar/Fa-003's (Those things could squeeze time out of existance!).

 

First Impression no.3: The sound I heard after a few hours of pink noise burning was surprising! Full bodied, very clean and clear as reported (Amzaing for $40!). The sound is very detailed with excellent space and seperation. Semi-open sound is well executed!

 

  • High's: I did not find the high's to be harsh nor simbilance, I did test this on some of my most simbilant songs and was happy to report that it did not occur. I feel the high's are more refined than the Ad700's. The 850's reach much higher than the Ckm500's with excellent control and sparkle. You will definately hear more detail's in the upper range with these, certain songs become alive with the extra detail these can's produce! I really like it!
  • Mid's: I did notice the mid's were abit behind the other frequencies but it also depended on the song! Not as forward but not too far back, in most songs it mixes in quite well with the rest of the music. When listening to some power ballads, the male/female vocals stands out beautifully and you get a sense of the singers voice forward and central in your head/space and then you hear the lovely instruments almost immediately around you! It's often an engaging and emotional sense when these elements come together, making the song a wonderful experience. I remember often pausing what I was doing just to hear a beautiful passage of a certain song. I'm yet to make a final judgement on the mid's but my initial feeling is that the mid's are well behaved and not as forward compared to my Ckm500's, which are more forward and pronounced.
  • Bass: I was so surprised with the bass on these, it's definately solid and engaging! You can definately hear it and feel it and isn't as shy as the mid's. The bass gives the music that extra quality and makes the sound much more complete. It does go quite low, testing it out on some Dubstep/progressive/chillstep/electronica definately is pleasing and more than enough to give that genre the attitude and authority it needs. The bass quality is not as awesome as the Ckm500's (which to me puts out some insane bass) but it is as tight and controlled. Sonically I was very satisfied with the bass and combined with those beautiful detailed high's I was in nirvana! With other genres like heavy metal/alternative/rock the bass is thick and fast, a few times I was air drumming to the beat! Note*- Bass Boost turned off, I tested it with full Bass Boost and it sounded great but I ultimately enjoyed the stock sound signature!

 

Final words: I love these headphones! I really do...for the money I spent on them ($40) The sound to me is highly comparable to my Ckm500's and best my Jaycar/Fa-003 & Ad700 by a long shot! I love how confident they sound with my music library and how much they've added to the overal experience. I've had these phone's on all night last night and really enjoyed the music I was hearing with the 850's. I think anyone wanting to try different phones or if you're on a strict budget I'd recommend trying these and see for yourself. I will be having a few friends around to test these in the next few days, can't wait to see their faces. evil_smiley.gif 

 

Note*- I haven't tried these unamped so to me the 850's sounded superb running out of my Jaycar Dac/Cmoy BB, volume knob is currently at 11 o'clock and is loud and clear enough for me!


Edited by volly - 2/21/13 at 7:47pm
post #227 of 278

LoL....I think I killed the thread?!?!?  tongue_smile.gif

 

Seriously thou...still loving these phones!! L3000.gif

post #228 of 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by volly View Post

LoL....I think I killed the thread?!?!?  tongue_smile.gif

Seriously thou...still loving these phones!! L3000.gif

How many hours have you listened to it so far? Personally I wouldn't expect any further change after the first 50 or so hours, but could be interesting to see what you think.
post #229 of 278

Well...I've been using the 850's with my new cMoyBB for a few days straight! Last night I put them on again for another session after work and was really impressed! I dare say the amp and 850's have broken in and are sounding really lovely to my ears!

 

I feel the bass has tighten up and becoming more detail but the upper mid's and high's have improved immensively! More detail and clarity. acoustics is another thing that jumped out at me recently too...guitars, percussion, piano's, drums insturments have such an alluring sound to them! These qualities I felt were missing with the Jaycar/FA 003's and Ad700's! Such a warm and yet detailed sound...what a great headphone!

 

But again...it could be that the amp or the headphones either way they are sounding absolutely superb together!

 

I have just received my MS1i but will hold off listening to them because I'm really appreciating the 850's, very impressed!

 

p.s - Had a friend come around to try them a few days ago...the look on his face was pricelss, after a few songs he took them off and stated "How much were these again?!?", I couldn't help to LoL'd at him. Like me he was converted!! L3000.gif

post #230 of 278

thanks a ton for this thread. I was in the market to replace a set of Monoprice 8323 over ear cans that were terrible. No bass, very uncomfortable, crackle in left speaker and very heavy.

 

This thread helped make my purchase easy today. I ordered a set of the Samson SR850s and I cant wait to hear these. I dont listen to much music at all so i mainly will use these for Gaming and sometimes watching Blurays when the wife is sleeping.

 

Again thanks for this thread. Ill post pics when they arrive

post #231 of 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4LC4PON3 View Post

thanks a ton for this thread. I was in the market to replace a set of Monoprice 8323 over ear cans that were terrible. No bass, very uncomfortable, crackle in left speaker and very heavy.

 

This thread helped make my purchase easy today. I ordered a set of the Samson SR850s and I cant wait to hear these. I dont listen to much music at all so i mainly will use these for Gaming and sometimes watching Blurays when the wife is sleeping.

 

Again thanks for this thread. Ill post pics when they arrive

Good luck with the 850's 4LC...I've done abit of gaming with them and they impressed me immensely!! The semi open nature of the 850's gives you a lovely open but detailed sound.

 

I also want to thank this thread for getting me on to the Sammie's!!

post #232 of 278

I've gone through this thread, and I might  have missed it.  But I've read about the sound comparisons of the superlux 668 and the 850s,  bass differences, slight stage size differences noticed by some..  but I'm trying to figure more out about comfort.  I've had issues with other auto adjusting bands grinding down on top of my head a bit too harshly.  It looks like the 668's are formed off of the same base as the audiotechnica 700s, which are considered extremely comftorable.  Any input on 668 vs 850 in terms of this?

post #233 of 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevlynSyde View Post

I've gone through this thread, and I might  have missed it.  But I've read about the sound comparisons of the superlux 668 and the 850s,  bass differences, slight stage size differences noticed by some..  but I'm trying to figure more out about comfort.  I've had issues with other auto adjusting bands grinding down on top of my head a bit too harshly.  It looks like the 668's are formed off of the same base as the audiotechnica 700s, which are considered extremely comftorable.  Any input on 668 vs 850 in terms of this?

Superlux copy wing band system of AT but they did it not good, the 850 is much more comfortable, about sound, they sound the same.

post #234 of 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevlynSyde View Post

I've gone through this thread, and I might  have missed it.  But I've read about the sound comparisons of the superlux 668 and the 850s,  bass differences, slight stage size differences noticed by some..  but I'm trying to figure more out about comfort.  I've had issues with other auto adjusting bands grinding down on top of my head a bit too harshly.  It looks like the 668's are formed off of the same base as the audiotechnica 700s, which are considered extremely comftorable.  Any input on 668 vs 850 in terms of this?

I can only comment on a Ad700 VS 850's regarding comfort, yes the Ad700's were comfortable but for me they never quite sat properly on my head. At times they felt clumsy due to the size of the headphone's and have fallen off on a few occasions but this is just my impression only! 

 

I have a fairly average size head and I wear glasses most the time, to be honest I enjoy the comfort of the 850's head band much more than the Ad700's! It sits securely on my head and is very light, also I hardly feel the head band at all. The clamp force is no where near the pressures you will feel from something like the Fa 003's, perhaps due to the semi open nature of the headphone.

 

Just on sound...I give the Sammy's two thumbs up as I enjoy the sound sig much more than the Ad700's and for little investment...but if you've never heard the Ad700's give them ago only because they were my first gateway drug...(Hell get both!)

 L3000.gif

Hope this helps....

post #235 of 278

AD700 are kind of boring and lifeless IMO.

post #236 of 278

Lets see if i can get a little bit of help here from you Samson and Superlux owners.

 

Recently i´ve become interested in audio restoration and audio forensics on an amateurlevel. Have been using a couple of Steelseries 5Hv2 up to date but feel as if they tend to miss quite a bit in detail. So i´m in the search for a new couple with outstandning clarity and detail w/o getting broke in the process.

Thats how i found out about Samson SR 850.

 

So i was about to order a couple when i found this thread. confused.gif

 

Now it seems as if the Samsons and Superlux HD 682 is almost the same hardware and that the difference with Superlux HD 681 is almost to nothing except in price. Obviously there are ALOT of Superlux models (HD 661, 662, 662b, 662f etc) that has almost identical specs but differs in price so how the heck am i supposed to decide which is best??

 

All those phones are cheap but the HD 681 is sold for eur 19.90 compared to Samson that is eur 40!!

Can´t see why i should pay more if it´s the same product??

 

I intend to use the headphones with a Asus Xonar DX card and since that´s w/o headphoneamp i´m looking att phones with ~32Ohms impedance.

 

So which should i get, the Samson SR850´s or some of the Superlux models??

 

Greatful for any clarification on my problem.
 

post #237 of 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by nclr View Post

Lets see if i can get a little bit of help here from you Samson and Superlux owners.

 

Recently i´ve become interested in audio restoration and audio forensics on an amateurlevel. Have been using a couple of Steelseries 5Hv2 up to date but feel as if they tend to miss quite a bit in detail. So i´m in the search for a new couple with outstandning clarity and detail w/o getting broke in the process.

Thats how i found out about Samson SR 850.

 

So i was about to order a couple when i found this thread. confused.gif

 

Now it seems as if the Samsons and Superlux HD 682 is almost the same hardware and that the difference with Superlux HD 681 is almost to nothing except in price. Obviously there are ALOT of Superlux models (HD 661, 662, 662b, 662f etc) that has almost identical specs but differs in price so how the heck am i supposed to decide which is best??

 

All those phones are cheap but the HD 681 is sold for eur 19.90 compared to Samson that is eur 40!!

Can´t see why i should pay more if it´s the same product??

 

I intend to use the headphones with a Asus Xonar DX card and since that´s w/o headphoneamp i´m looking att phones with ~32Ohms impedance.

 

So which should i get, the Samson SR850´s or some of the Superlux models??

 

Greatful for any clarification on my problem.
 

First of all, the 681's and SR850 are very different sounding headphones, they just share the same design. The 668b is also the exact same sounding as the SR850.

 

681 is more lively and aggressive with lower bass but has a smaller soundstage and overall a bit less detail. then the SR850. So in your case, which is audio forensics, I would recommend the SR850 or 668b. If you were to ask for something for casual listening I would say 681. I'm not sure about the 662's except that they are more flat and neutral.

post #238 of 278

I find the sammie's are very revealing, they will pick up a fair bit of detail and will show any flaws the track has to offer!

 

Poorly converted mp3's will sound terrible with 850's but properly converted Flac files will show off these headphones to no end!

 

Nclr, I'd say try the Samson's! They should fit your propose but I'm not sure how they fill go running from your Xonar DX.

 

Many moon's ago, I had a Xonar D1. Overall I wasn't a great fan of the card and went external! 

 

Good luck with your decision, either way I think you're on the right path! L3000.gif

post #239 of 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by volly View Post

I find the sammie's are very revealing, they will pick up a fair bit of detail and will show any flaws the track has to offer!

 

Poorly converted mp3's will sound terrible with 850's but properly converted Flac files will show off these headphones to no end!

 

Nclr, I'd say try the Samson's! They should fit your propose but I'm not sure how they fill go running from your Xonar DX.

 

Many moon's ago, I had a Xonar D1. Overall I wasn't a great fan of the card and went external! 

 

Good luck with your decision, either way I think you're on the right path! L3000.gif

Thx for replying both of you.

Regarding not having an amp i might be able to circumvent that by using an old Yamaha-amplifier (RX-V357 ) i used to use with my Home Theater. If i connect that with a toslink to the DX´s Spdif out i might get enough to get some more juice out of the headphones!?

Not sure about the output but i believe it´s more than enough to blow up the headphones. The only real danger i can see is if the signal degrades by doing this.

Since almost all files i use for forensics is .wav and i don´t want to convert them i really need to try to get the signal as "original" as possible.

 

So either the 668b or the samsons seems to be the choice for me then....


Edited by nclr - 3/13/13 at 9:22am
post #240 of 278

Thanks for the recommendations on this thread. I'm loving the Sammies!

 

My budget dream-team:

 

UAE23+ DAC

Bravo V2 Amp (RCA clear-top valve)

SR850 (Velour pads)

 

I'm also getting to grips with the advanced equaliser add-on for foobar, and experimenting with a 100ohm resistor adapter.

 

This setup sounds pretty euphoric!

 

http://i.imgur.com/c9695D7.jpg

 

Nothing much more to add review wise, but they're definitely a cut above everything else I've heard in my limited experienced (RHA CA-200, AKG 450, Yamaha HPH-200, Soundmagic PL30, Vsonic GR02 Bass ed., Monoprice 8320).


Edited by SydDave - 4/17/13 at 12:07pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Samson SR850 (Superlux OEM) Review: A $50 Budget Champion.