Okay so I'm completely new to amplifiers, I just learned about them today. So I have lots of questions. However first I'll give you some information about my current gear, and what exactly I'm looking for.
Gear: I have Sennheiser hd555 headphones. Ipod classic 80gb, I also use a computer but unfortunately I don't know what sound card I have.
Reason why I'm interested in getting an amplifier: I noticed with my headphones, they sound much better when I listen to CD's on my computer. I don't notice much of a difference when I listen to MP3 on my computer (maybe it's a tad better) compared to my Ipod. However, like I said before, when I listen to CD's everything sounds way better.
I'm hoping that I can grasp that good sound, or atleast get closer to that sound with an amplifier connected to my computer and/or Ipod. I'd rather not want to buy a ton of CD's if instead I could buy an amplifier once and get better quality sound on all my MP3's.
Questions about amplifiers:
1. Do amplifiers work with Ipods?
2. I already know amplifiers work with computers, but I'm hoping I can get an amplifier that will work with an ipod.
3. What's the difference between a full size amp, compared to a portable amp? (Maybe this is just a dumb question, because I'm assuming it's just a matter of size. But I just want to make sure, because I was confused about which thread I should post in).
Specifics of what I'm looking for:
1. Will an amplifier improve the quality of my sound with my HD555's? I've gone through a few threads and see mixed opinions on this.
2. I want an amplifier that works with my Ipod and computer (although if it's a matter of one or the other, I want an amplifier that works with my Ipod).
3. I only listen to music at home (besides listening to music in my car but that's irrelevant) so portability is not an issue.
4. I don't want to spend too much money on an amplifier. I don't want to spend any more then $150 dollars at most, however I'm more comfortable with an amplifier around $100 dollars. But if making a 50$ upgrade makes that big of a difference, I'll do it.
5. I've already looked at and heard about an amplifier such as the FiiO E5, E7. E9. Do all of these amplifiers work with Ipods, and would they improve the sound quality with the headphones I have and my ipod/computer that probably doesn't have a great soundcard?
Edited by Reagan0mics - 3/27/11 at 2:47am