Head-Fi.org › Forums › Head-Fi Special Forums › Head-Fi Bloggers › Sasaki › Auditioned STAX new SR-009
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Auditioned STAX new SR-009 - Page 2

post #16 of 54
Thread Starter 

Hi all,
Thank you for the comments.

> ささきさんは買うつもりですか?

わたしは残念ながら買えないと思います。ちょっと高いですね。。

> How much of an improvement in performance between SR007 to SR009?  10 or 15%

I think the difference between SR007 (mk1) and SR007 mk2 would be 10% or so. But SR009 is not just an improvement of SR007.
IMO the difference between SR007 and SR009 is similar to the difference of HD650 and HD800.
So personal preference would also be a matter here. I think if you prefer HD800 rather, you would take SR009.

 

> pics

I used my Canon PowerShot s95. (naming may vary in your countries)
I skipped a noise reduction process which I usually do but pics from s95 at high ISO is good enough. Excellent anti hand-shake and the high-ISO capability makes s95 as a great indoor camera. The deep depth of field helps to take report type pics under low light, this is an untold strength to SLRs. Oops sorry this is not a camera-fi thread .. :)

post #17 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasaki View Post

IMO the difference between SR007 and SR009 is similar to the difference of HD650 and HD800.
So personal preference would also be a matter here. I think if you prefer HD800 rather, you would take SR009.

 

 

This seems to imply that the SR-009 sounds more like the Sennheiser HE90 Orpheus which the HD800 is I believe trying to replicate.  We will have to wait until someone is able to compare them side by sidegs1000.gif

post #18 of 54

A direct or indirect comparison between the HE90/HEV90 duet and the SR-009 + compatible energizer would be of high value here because it would be interesting if the SR-009 "re-defines" what the HE90 has already done.

post #19 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasaki View Post

Hi all,
Thank you for the comments.

> ささきさんは買うつもりですか?

わたしは残念ながら買えないと思います。ちょっと高いですね。。

> How much of an improvement in performance between SR007 to SR009?  10 or 15%

I think the difference between SR007 (mk1) and SR007 mk2 would be 10% or so. But SR009 is not just an improvement of SR007.
IMO the difference between SR007 and SR009 is similar to the difference of HD650 and HD800.
So personal preference would also be a matter here. I think if you prefer HD800 rather, you would take SR009.

 

> pics

I used my Canon PowerShot s95. (naming may vary in your countries)
I skipped a noise reduction process which I usually do but pics from s95 at high ISO is good enough. Excellent anti hand-shake and the high-ISO capability makes s95 as a great indoor camera. The deep depth of field helps to take report type pics under low light, this is an untold strength to SLRs. Oops sorry this is not a camera-fi thread .. :)


Then it's kinda dilema for me in getting the 009 as my 007 setup is neither bright nor warm/dark sounding.  I believe i have achieved a very good balance in my current configuration. 

 

For hd800, i do not like the sound because of the over emphasis on mid highs and the unusually wide soundstage. The 007 is always better in terms of sound texture.

post #20 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by hentai View Post




Then it's kinda dilema for me in getting the 009 as my 007 setup is neither bright nor warm/dark sounding.  I believe i have achieved a very good balance in my current configuration. 

 

For hd800, i do not like the sound because of the over emphasis on mid highs and the unusually wide soundstage. The 007 is always better in terms of sound texture.


While I agree the change in tonality from 007A to 009 is akin to the one from HD650 to HD800, the comparison stops there imho. In particular, the biggest problem with the HD800 is not actually its tonal balance but rather emphasis on part critical part of the audible range (upper mids / lower highs). While the SR009 is indeed "brighter" than 007A (when driven from 727A, we should not forget this), I absolutely did not get a sense of frequency imbalance. Nothing stands out (like peaks in the response) and it makes it more natural sounding than 007A.

 

Although I could not throw the HD800 in the mix when I did the comparison, I assume that while the tonal balance is quite similar, the faults of the HD800 (some tendency to shrillness with soso recordings for example) would probably become evident when comparing to SR009.

 

Having said that, I also agree with Sasaki-san that bad recordings (well he said "pop" "rock" but that means the same pretty much these days) might be easier to listen to with the darker sounding 007A out of the 727A amp...

 

Last comment: I haven't checked your amp, but the drift in tonality of 007A when going from Stax to say a BHSE may not happen with the 009 simply because it appears much easier to drive than Omega 2...

 

post #21 of 54



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnaud View Post




While I agree the change in tonality from 007A to 009 is akin to the one from HD650 to HD800, the comparison stops there imho. In particular, the biggest problem with the HD800 is not actually its tonal balance but rather emphasis on part critical part of the audible range (upper mids / lower highs). While the SR009 is indeed "brighter" than 007A (when driven from 727A, we should not forget this), I absolutely did not get a sense of frequency imbalance. Nothing stands out (like peaks in the response) and it makes it more natural sounding than 007A.

 

Although I could not throw the HD800 in the mix when I did the comparison, I assume that while the tonal balance is quite similar, the faults of the HD800 (some tendency to shrillness with soso recordings for example) would probably become evident when comparing to SR009.

 

Having said that, I also agree with Sasaki-san that bad recordings (well he said "pop" "rock" but that means the same pretty much these days) might be easier to listen to with the darker sounding 007A out of the 727A amp...

 

Last comment: I haven't checked your amp, but the drift in tonality of 007A when going from Stax to say a BHSE may not happen with the 009 simply because it appears much easier to drive than Omega 2...

 


Thanks for your input, the mods ( powersupply upgrade, output, heatsink change) inmy 727a has lead to a drastic change in the tonality of 007A into something very neutral. can be bright or warm depending on recording or other components with very tight and not overpowering bass at all but i do not know how it will fare comparing to KGSS or BHSE. Before mod my complaints for the combination is that it sound  dull which makes me very careful with system matching, Meaning i cannot use pure copper cables, or warm source.

In fact before the mod, i was pondering if i should have gone back to dynamic but i stayed on because in my heart , i feel the stax has much better techincal capabilities.   By the way i hope i don't sound like convinecing people or myself that i don't need 009 at all , in fact i'm quite interested and already enquired pricejapan on its avaliability. However its current price tag seems to be quite big to swallow ( as if omega is not expensive enough) hence i really need to put in alot of consideration before the purchase.

 


Edited by hentai - 3/27/11 at 5:59pm
post #22 of 54

Well, you are definitely right to consider seriously if the SR-009 is worth it for your system not. Unfortunately, only a listen some time down the road will tell unless you can extrapolate with thoughts of BHSE / KGSS owners after they've received their 009...

 

For all we know, the SR009 might not be as much of a leap forward from the SR007A when driven from a better amp like yours. At least the gap between the 007A and 009 in bass reproduction and soundstage might not be as large. I am actually now quite interested in your modification, if only it was easy to obtain! You made the PS yourself?

 

Ahh, I am tempted to pull the trigger on the 009... We live only once after all, better enjoy while we can ;)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hentai View Post



 


Thanks for your input, the mods ( powersupply upgrade, output, heatsink change) inmy 727a has lead to a drastic change in the tonality of 007A into something very neutral. can be bright or warm depending on recording or other components with very tight and not overpowering bass at all but i do not know how it will fare comparing to KGSS or BHSE. Before mod my complaints for the combination is that it sound  dull which makes me very careful with system matching, Meaning i cannot use pure copper cables, or warm source.

In fact i was pondering if i should have gone back to dynamic but i stayed on because in my heart , i feel the stax has much better techincal capabilities.   By the way i hope i don't sound like convinecing people or myself that i don't need 009 at all , in fact i'm quite interested and already enquired pricejapan on its avaliability. However its current price tag seems to be quite big to swallow ( as if omega is not expensive enough) hence i really need to put in alot of consideration before the purchase.

 



 

post #23 of 54

Any idea how it compares with the original SR-Omega?

post #24 of 54



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnaud View Post

Well, you are definitely right to consider seriously if the SR-009 is worth it for your system not. Unfortunately, only a listen some time down the road will tell unless you can extrapolate with thoughts of BHSE / KGSS owners after they've received their 009...

 

For all we know, the SR009 might not be as much of a leap forward from the SR007A when driven from a better amp like yours. At least the gap between the 007A and 009 in bass reproduction and soundstage might not be as large. I am actually now quite interested in your modification, if only it was easy to obtain! You made the PS yourself?

 

Ahh, I am tempted to pull the trigger on the 009... We live only once after all, better enjoy while we can ;)

 



 


The PS was made by a  veteran in Singapore's DIY scene, he has made highly effective modifications in many high end speaker setups. I even went to his workshop to listen while he was doing the tuning, He himself , is also a high end hifi player. His philosophy to achieving better sound is power before anything else. The PS block has about  4/5 transformers instead of one being shared by all in the stock 727a

''''';lkk''         

Anyway the bluetin.com has 009 listed in its store with the pricetago of SGD$6300+ wow.... it cost even more than 007a+727a together. I wonder if pricejapan may get a better price for it.


Edited by hentai - 3/28/11 at 5:16pm
post #25 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnaud View Post

ささきさん、すばらしい!私は、Fujiya Avicで聞いた時、sasakiと同じ感じがしました。SR009が727Aと十分と思います。。。ささきさんは買うつもりですか?僕は買うよていあり ましたが、現在で出来ないと思います。しかも、ささきさんのレポートを読むとまた欲しい成りました。smily_headphones1.gif



Well at least I can read Japanese although not good at writing.

You can actually order it at Joshin now...But the price is little higher than my expect. I prefer to wait for a little bit longer to see if I can get a cheap pairs at around 330,000 Yen, I suppose it is a reasonable price.

Do you have any info of the pre-order information of SR-009 at Japanese online shops?
post #26 of 54
Thread Starter 
Here is a Ustream page of STAX interview.
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/13640714
post #27 of 54

 

1st half of the interview

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/13640147

post #28 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by majkel View Post

A direct or indirect comparison between the HE90/HEV90 duet and the SR-009 + compatible energizer would be of high value here because it would be interesting if the SR-009 "re-defines" what the HE90 has already done.

 

 

I will post when the SR-009's arrive.  I'm currently using a WES maxxed and have admittedly tuned the tube selection based upon what sounds best with the HE90's.  It sounds fantastic and is my go-to setup.  In this setup the 007 Mk 1 does not sound as good to my ears (although the bass has a little more balance / weight) and so it's sitting on the shelf in the under the dust cover waiting for a BHSE.  I've read so many reviews and opinions about the coloration of the HE90, but I love it's sound.  I have not hear the 007 Mk1's with a BHSE or KGSS yet, but am due to receive the BH soon I hope (I'm into month 8 or 9 of waiting).  Maybe the stars will align and will have both amps and the HE90/007Mk1/009 all available at the same time and can provide some feedback to others that may be of use (or maybe have a few headfi'ers over who live in the area so we can have some other ears around for comparison and objectivity).

 


 

 

post #29 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by minivan View Post

 

1st half of the interview

 

That is an in-deapth review! 

 

biggrin.gif

 

Thank you.

post #30 of 54

Working my way through the interview, that's pretty good for studying Japanese. If I catch anything, I may post here but there's 90% chance of me misunderstanding ;). Well, a native speaker like sasaki could maybe correct the wrong bits, (kana? sasaki-san ;) )

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgazal View Post

 

 

That is an in-deapth review! 

 

biggrin.gif

 

Thank you.



 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sasaki
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Head-Fi Special Forums › Head-Fi Bloggers › Sasaki › Auditioned STAX new SR-009