Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Sound Science › USB cable supposedly improving DAC sound quality? How can I take other posts seriously after that?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

USB cable supposedly improving DAC sound quality? How can I take other posts seriously after that? - Page 13  

post #181 of 256

Ooops! 

 

My bad.

 

Were we talking about digital cables here?  This thread is too long and convoluted for my gnat like attention span to keep up with.  My point only applies to analog cables.  If the discussion is about digital playback then I agree with the objection to my post: bits are bits.  You're right, a Zobel network wouldn't do much good in a digital cable.

 

On the other hand, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see some enterprising huckster touting some such device for some fatuous reason such as it "reduces jitter." 
 

post #182 of 256
Originally Posted by Diablo3 View Post

Has any of the skeptics done blind tests of USB cables on a high end speaker system? They always say we don't do blind tests, heck, we do that a lot. Last weekend we just tried some US$10K ish USB cables (Entreq Apollo and Siltech)

 

Have you been alerted that the best USB cable is none at all?  You put your music on an SD card made out of gold and insert it directly into the DAC.

 

Your blind tests are completely unnecessary, even if you presented some kind of theory to support them, whatever companies you are self-promoting you are only severely damaging their market value.


Edited by kiteki - 6/1/12 at 7:38am
post #183 of 256

I would not dwell deep into this any more, but you have no idea how much I wish that cables, digital and analog alike, make no difference at all. I really wish I did not hear any difference between the high end cables and the $5 ones, in which case I would just go for the latter.  And I envy those who truly hear no difference - consider yourself very lucky.

post #184 of 256
Originally Posted by Diablo3 View Post

I would not dwell deep into this any more, but you have no idea how much I wish that cables, digital and analog alike, make no difference at all. I really wish I did not hear any difference between the high end cables and the $5 ones, in which case I would just go for the latter.  And I envy those who truly hear no difference - consider yourself very lucky.

 

Your sales pitch is extremely ineffective.

 

I already have a much better cable than any cable you've ever heard in your life, I have a much better cable than a $5 cable or $10,000 cable.

 

It's called... none at all.

 

The music is inside the DAC and connected directly to the IC chip.

 

Your defense?

post #185 of 256
Which DAC are you using with a SD card slot? The Squuezebox Touch? rolleyes.gif
post #186 of 256

Funny defense.

 

Look at these products

 

SD card slot (with .DSF support) - http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/products/HP-A8C.shtml

 

ASRC USB 3.0 / optical / COAX / BNC / MULINK / ASIO / KERNELSTREAMING - http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-New-Musiland-Monitor-01-USD-USB-SPDIF-DAC-ASIO-32bit-384KHz-USB3-0-/290701960246

 

Oh and both support 32 bit.

 

 

Now, why am I supposed to spend $1000 on a USB 2.0 cable?  Or even $5 ...


Edited by kiteki - 6/2/12 at 10:08am
post #187 of 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteki View Post

Now, why am I supposed to spend $1000 on a USB 2.0 cable?  Or even $5 ...

 

Not that boutique USB cable will do any good but foobar has a better interface than any embedded player I'm aware of, 32GB isn't enough to shuffle my whole library, they won't run VST plugins, and 24/96 over USB Class 1 Audio is already overkill so there's no need for embedded players or USB 3.0 so there's no need for either.

post #188 of 256
Originally Posted by maverickronin View Post

 

Not that boutique USB cable will do any good but foobar has a better interface than any embedded player I'm aware of, 32GB isn't enough to shuffle my whole library, they won't run VST plugins, and 24/96 over USB Class 1 Audio is already overkill so there's no need for embedded players or USB 3.0 so there's no need for either.

 

The SD card slot is there to play .DSF files, you can fit 6 SACD's on an SD card.  In the other thread we already discussed that the recording quality is evidently higher.

 

When talking to someone insisting on high-end USB cables then it's a contest of overkill from the outset, in this scenario no cable wins.

 

VST plugins are preference, and pretty rare in high-end playback I think.

post #189 of 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteki View Post

 

The SD card slot is there to play .DSF files, you can fit 6 SACD's on an SD card.  In the other thread we already discussed that the recording quality is evidently higher.

 

Which is a pathetically small amount of content.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteki View Post

 

When talking to someone insisting on high-end USB cables then it's a contest of overkill from the outset, in this scenario no cable wins.

 

There's still wire of some sort between the SD card and the DAC chip.  Better use a silver plated, cryo treated PCB.  wink_face.gif

 

Where does it end?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteki View Post

 

VST plugins are preference, and pretty rare in high-end playback I think.

 

Because people are silly.

 

Where's my crossfeed DSP?  Listening to stereo recordings on headphones without crossfeed is like listening to vinyl but leaving out the RIAA EQ because you don't want to mess with the "purity".  Plenty of high end speaker systems feature room correction EQ these days too, so it's not some sort of completely foreign concept.

post #190 of 256
Originally Posted by maverickronin View Post

 

There's still wire of some sort between the SD card and the DAC chip.  Better use a silver plated, cryo treated PCB.  wink_face.gif

 

Where does it end?

 

To be honest the smarter cable believers say exactly that.  Like err what's his name, DaveBSC, kept telling me it was pointless to use a silver cable for the Fostex T50RP unless I recabled the insides with the silver too, and used a silver 3.5mm jack.

post #191 of 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteki View Post

To be honest the smarter cable believers say exactly that.  Like err what's his name, DaveBSC, kept telling me it was pointless to use a silver cable for the Fostex T50RP unless I recabled the insides with the silver too, and used a silver 3.5mm jack.

 

And replace the voice coil with silver...

 

And your power cable, the wiring inside your house, the wiring back to the substation, the wiring back to power plant, and the wiring in the generators at the power plant.  Then you need to figure out how to silver recable the coal/uranium/natural gas/reservoir of water behind a dam/windmill/solar panel.

 

Good luck with that.  They'll need it...

post #192 of 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverickronin View Post

 

And replace the voice coil with silver...

 

And your power cable, the wiring inside your house, the wiring back to the substation, the wiring back to power plant, and the wiring in the generators at the power plant.  Then you need to figure out how to silver recable the coal/uranium/natural gas/reservoir of water behind a dam/windmill/solar panel.

 

Good luck with that.  They'll need it...

 

Well, it would've been done by now if it were needed. The fact that it hasn't means something.

post #193 of 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by proton007 View Post

 

Well, it would've been done by now if it were needed. The fact that it hasn't means something.


There is one historical precedent, though not audio. One of the methods used in World War II to separate isotopes for the Manhattan Project involved cyclotrons, accelerators (atom smashers then) each with two huge, heavy electromagnets. You can see small ones in the back rooms of PET scan facilities. The all out war effort had caused a major nationwide shortage of copper for non essential (no substitute available) uses. Well, we are talking about the government and the US Mint had many tons of pure silver on hand, so...

 

The interesting part is that when copper became available, the silver was returned. Copper was the material preferred by the project engineers. The very small weight savings was of no consequence and the conductivity difference was minor at best. NO one claimed that the silver magnets conferred some superior quality to the generated fields, so practicality ruled. The engineers were obviously not modern audiophile consumers. biggrin.gif


Edited by Clarkmc2 - 6/5/12 at 9:24pm
post #194 of 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkmc2 View Post


There is one historical precedent, though not audio. One of the methods used in World War II to separate isotopes for the Manhattan Project involved cyclotrons, accelerators (atom smashers then) each with two huge, heavy electromagnets. You can see small ones in the back rooms of PET scan facilities. The all out war effort had caused a major nationwide shortage of copper for non essential (no substitute available) uses. Well, we are talking about the government and the US Mint had many tons of pure silver on hand, so...

 

The interesting part is that when copper became available, the silver was returned. Copper was the material preferred by the project engineers. The very small weight savings was of no consequence and the conductivity difference was minor at best. NO one claimed that the silver magnets conferred some superior quality to the generated fields, so practicality ruled. The engineers were obviously not modern audiophile consumers. biggrin.gif

 

I feel even copper is rather traditional, nowadays you won't find copper wiring for electricity distribution, its mostly aluminium. I wonder what the audiophile world would've been like, if large scale electrolytic processes for extracting aluminium hadn't been developed. Maybe you'd find audio manufacturers selling aluminium wound transformers and aluminium cables as being more exotic and hence, having a different sound signature.


Edited by proton007 - 6/5/12 at 10:23pm
post #195 of 256

I personally think that discussions of sound differences between copper and silver conductors have no place in the Sound Science forum. In the same class as wire break-in. What it "sounds" like to me is the High End forum.
 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sound Science
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Sound Science › USB cable supposedly improving DAC sound quality? How can I take other posts seriously after that?