Not yet. I found one on Audiogon. It is a Signature, not an F1. It does have the Kimber upgrades and Jensen caps as well....I am looking forward to hearing it with the Decware DM945's and my HD800's.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Cary SLI-80 vs Cary exciter headphone amp. Last post on 5/18/11 at 6:42am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Neutral Desktop Headphone AMP for Heir Audio 4.A CIEM? Last post on 8/20/12 at 7:41am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- [LIST][OPINION] Amp recommendations for Fostex/Denon Headphones. Last post on 1/12/15 at 3:42pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Govibe Peak Last post on 7/9/12 at 12:12am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Amp upgrade for AH-D5000 Last post on 7/2/12 at 4:45am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
I am believer in positive effects of a good cable and I like to try different aftermarket cables to see what sonic changes can be. I have contacted with Null Audio while I was looking for a new...
Introduction: One of my favorite parts of this hobby that I've grown to love over the past few years is trying new things and just experiencing how different components (or combination of...
I have to say I was very impressed with this little beauty. For my 63 yr. young ears after being subjected to some of the most ferocious live hard rock and heavy metal it really does justice to...
Setup I got my pair on sale for $150 USD. I have had a few lower end AKG headphones and have never been disappointed with the value and sound signature they offered. It's been a long time...
This is my first review. Honestly I am quite new to head-fi although I have tried and bought and sold a lot of headphones and earphones lately. I bought a pair of MA750 a week ago for 108USD in...
- Headphone Impedance
Cary Audio SLI 80 - Owners Unite! - Page 10
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
SLI-80 is inbound. I will have it next Saturday.
Here is the ad from Audiogon:
I have for sale a Cary SLI-80 Signature Integrated Amp in excellent condition. I am the second owner, the unit is about 6 years old, It has the Jensen p10 cap upgrade that makes these units really sing. Also has the Kimber Kable cd input wire upgrade as well. Both wire upgrades were were done at Cary. I am including a factory Cary bias meter with the sale worth a $100.00 these meters do not come with the standard units. It makes biasing the output tubes a snap. just plug into jacks on the unit . The tubes include a matched quad of Genalex Gold Lion KT 88 tubes, two Sovtek 5U4G tubes, two NOS Sylvania 6922 tubes, and two Electro- Harmonix 6sn7 tubes. These are upgraded tubes, not the standard issue tubes you get when you buy a new unit. These tubes have very little use on them The tubes were installed by previous owner around the end of 2012. The unit comes with the Original metal remote control, box and manual, the unit looks and runs great.
I'll get to mess with it next Saturday. dminches has graciously offered to help me with setup. Tubes recommendations are appreciated. I may not act immediately on them as I have a few tubes to try around here already.
I can't wait.
I picked up the SLI-80 at Fedex this morning. As mentioned it came with Genalex Golden Lion KT88's. I swapped the SovTek 5U4G's for Philips 5R4GYS's. I also swapped out the NOS Sylvania 6922's for Genalex Golden Lion's as well. I stayed with the Electro Harmonix 6SN7's.
I opened it up before setting it up to check out the factory upgrades.
Nice to see the Jensen Caps and the Kimber cable CD input upgrades!
It was a nice bonus to have the Cary Bias meter included. It took about 1/2 hour to get things configured, biased and connected. Wow does it sound great!
David, I biased it first. The fellow I bought it from included all the biasing instructions from Cary along with the Cary Bias meter. I followed the instructions exactly. I have the amp set at 75mA at the moment. I see it ranges up to 100mA by the manual. Any recommendations for settings?
The hardest part was the patience to take the proper time and set it up rather than just fire it up and start listening.
I am always between 75 and 80. The pain of biasing is that you have to keep going back and forth since a change in the bias of 1 channel affects the bias of the other. It should only take 5-10 minutes.
That's where I set it. As close to 75 as I could , but it is probably more like 77 or so for each channel.
I am running my Vandersteen 1B's with it now. Best I have ever heard them. I have never gotten bass like this before. Solid and deep. Very nice.
OK, just for fun I swapped out the Philips 5R4GYS's with the USAF-596's Nothing at all wrong with the Philips. I have just been a fan of the 596 for a ling time.
Fabolous! How does it sound?
Sublime! The HD800's just sing and I have never heard my Vandersteen 1B's sound as good. The bass I am getting from them.....I had no idea they had it in them!
KT120 got installed today. There is definitely a little more top and bottom end, mids did not change. They are HUGE tubes, if you put these in your amp and you are using it in the middle of a rack or shelf, be sure you will still have enough clearance on top. They add another inch or so to the height of a 6550.
So, are you enjoying the KT120's? Are they a worthy upgrade for the SLI-80?
Stavros, it is outstanding. No surprise since the original DAC-2 and SLI-80 was a magic combo for me. I was enjoying Shelby Lynne's "Just a Little Lovin" album in DSD64 and it was like you were sitting in the small club with her.
- Cary Audio SLI 80 - Owners Unite!
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › Final Audio Design - Heaven VIII -FI-HE8BSS- Impressions 14 seconds ago
- › Rate the video games you're currently playing 29 seconds ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 51 seconds ago
- › Cable burn in -- what are the arguments in favor, if any? 1 minute ago
- › Ocharaku Donguri RAKU - minty 2 minutes ago
- › Ultrasone Signature DJ 2 minutes ago
- › Feliks-Audio...6SN7 + 6AS7G/6080 prototype 2 minutes ago
- › "The Lab" 2 minutes ago
- › AKG K3003 High End 3 Way System Headphone 2 minutes ago
- › Need a new set of < $450 cans! 3 minutes ago
- › Null Audio Vitesse Copper Cable by MikePortnoy
- › Aune B1 by Cotnijoe
- › Schiit Audio Valhalla 2 by WifiWizard
- › AKG K612 PRO Reference Studio Headphones by rigodeni
- › RHA MA750 by fableofgod
- › SanDisk SDMX22-004G-A57K Sansa Clip Zip 4 GB, Black by xkonfuzed
- › Sennheiser HD 600 by xevman
- › Trinity - Techne Dynamic IEM by mark2410
- › Ubsound Fighter in-ear monitor with universal inline microphone and... by acain
- › T-Peos Altone250 by Cotnijoe
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2