Not yet. I found one on Audiogon. It is a Signature, not an F1. It does have the Kimber upgrades and Jensen caps as well....I am looking forward to hearing it with the Decware DM945's and my HD800's.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Cary SLI-80 vs Cary exciter headphone amp. Last post on 5/18/11 at 6:42am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Neutral Desktop Headphone AMP for Heir Audio 4.A CIEM? Last post on 8/20/12 at 7:41am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- [LIST][OPINION] Amp recommendations for Fostex/Denon Headphones. Last post on 5/24/14 at 11:55am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Govibe Peak Last post on 7/9/12 at 12:12am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Amp upgrade for AH-D5000 Last post on 7/2/12 at 4:45am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Tralucent Audio Reference 1 – With Comparisons I would first like to give a huge thanks to Head-Fi member, warrior1975 for loaning me his Ref. 1 and TWau cable for review. I was...
Introduction – As the current flagship of the young company Brainwavz, the R3 has a quite a lot on its shoulders. Utilizing a relatively new dual-dynamic driver configuration, uncommon with most...
Disclaimer: a. I am in no way affiliated with Fiio b. The X1 audition was a part of a world tour audition. c. There is no monetary or in kind gain due to the audition. With the disclaimer...
I'd say this is a great set of IEMs for its price if you're looking for that consumer v-shaped sound sig. It's not the most balanced sound sig, but for what it is, it sounds pretty good. The mids...
As of September 2014, the HE-400 has been discontinued, and it's successor, the HE-400i is being sold in its place. So why publish, or even read, a review now? First, there are many used...
- Headphone Impedance
Cary Audio SLI 80 - Owners Unite! - Page 10
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
SLI-80 is inbound. I will have it next Saturday.
Here is the ad from Audiogon:
I have for sale a Cary SLI-80 Signature Integrated Amp in excellent condition. I am the second owner, the unit is about 6 years old, It has the Jensen p10 cap upgrade that makes these units really sing. Also has the Kimber Kable cd input wire upgrade as well. Both wire upgrades were were done at Cary. I am including a factory Cary bias meter with the sale worth a $100.00 these meters do not come with the standard units. It makes biasing the output tubes a snap. just plug into jacks on the unit . The tubes include a matched quad of Genalex Gold Lion KT 88 tubes, two Sovtek 5U4G tubes, two NOS Sylvania 6922 tubes, and two Electro- Harmonix 6sn7 tubes. These are upgraded tubes, not the standard issue tubes you get when you buy a new unit. These tubes have very little use on them The tubes were installed by previous owner around the end of 2012. The unit comes with the Original metal remote control, box and manual, the unit looks and runs great.
I'll get to mess with it next Saturday. dminches has graciously offered to help me with setup. Tubes recommendations are appreciated. I may not act immediately on them as I have a few tubes to try around here already.
I can't wait.
I picked up the SLI-80 at Fedex this morning. As mentioned it came with Genalex Golden Lion KT88's. I swapped the SovTek 5U4G's for Philips 5R4GYS's. I also swapped out the NOS Sylvania 6922's for Genalex Golden Lion's as well. I stayed with the Electro Harmonix 6SN7's.
I opened it up before setting it up to check out the factory upgrades.
Nice to see the Jensen Caps and the Kimber cable CD input upgrades!
It was a nice bonus to have the Cary Bias meter included. It took about 1/2 hour to get things configured, biased and connected. Wow does it sound great!
David, I biased it first. The fellow I bought it from included all the biasing instructions from Cary along with the Cary Bias meter. I followed the instructions exactly. I have the amp set at 75mA at the moment. I see it ranges up to 100mA by the manual. Any recommendations for settings?
The hardest part was the patience to take the proper time and set it up rather than just fire it up and start listening.
I am always between 75 and 80. The pain of biasing is that you have to keep going back and forth since a change in the bias of 1 channel affects the bias of the other. It should only take 5-10 minutes.
That's where I set it. As close to 75 as I could , but it is probably more like 77 or so for each channel.
I am running my Vandersteen 1B's with it now. Best I have ever heard them. I have never gotten bass like this before. Solid and deep. Very nice.
Fabolous! How does it sound?
KT120 got installed today. There is definitely a little more top and bottom end, mids did not change. They are HUGE tubes, if you put these in your amp and you are using it in the middle of a rack or shelf, be sure you will still have enough clearance on top. They add another inch or so to the height of a 6550.
So, are you enjoying the KT120's? Are they a worthy upgrade for the SLI-80?
Stavros, it is outstanding. No surprise since the original DAC-2 and SLI-80 was a magic combo for me. I was enjoying Shelby Lynne's "Just a Little Lovin" album in DSD64 and it was like you were sitting in the small club with her.
- Cary Audio SLI 80 - Owners Unite!
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › FS: Schiit Asgard 2 16 seconds ago
- › The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.5.0 50 seconds ago
- › GAS? 1 minute ago
- › Beyerdynamic DT880 250 ohm 1 minute ago
- › The discovery thread.! NEW sfwalcer's earphone comparo PG 1727.... 1 minute ago
- › High-End Earbuds (Dasetn, Tingo, Blox, Yuin etc) and Earbud Gear... 2 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 2 minutes ago
- › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread 2 minutes ago
- › 2014 CanJam @ RMAF (October 10-12, 2014): The CanJam exhibitor list... 3 minutes ago
- › Creative Sound blaster E5 - Headphone amp + USB DAC with OTG +... 3 minutes ago
- › Tralucent Audio Ref 1 by Kiats
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by Audiophile1811
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by hitchhiker
- › Xiaomi Pistons 2.0 MK301 by Midgetguy
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by Rajikaru
- › MyST 1866 by cleg
- › The Enigma by Levaix
- › Bowers & Wilkins C5 S2 In-Ear Headphones, Black by twister6
- › MEElectronics M9-BK Hi-Fi Sound-Isolating Earphones (Black) by lin0003
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by Michaelc136
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)