Not yet. I found one on Audiogon. It is a Signature, not an F1. It does have the Kimber upgrades and Jensen caps as well....I am looking forward to hearing it with the Decware DM945's and my HD800's.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Cary SLI-80 vs Cary exciter headphone amp. Last post on 5/18/11 at 6:42am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Neutral Desktop Headphone AMP for Heir Audio 4.A CIEM? Last post on 8/20/12 at 7:41am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- [LIST][OPINION] Amp recommendations for Fostex/Denon Headphones. Last post on 1/12/15 at 3:42pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Govibe Peak Last post on 7/9/12 at 12:12am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Amp upgrade for AH-D5000 Last post on 7/2/12 at 4:45am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Build I've had a lot of headphones in the past and prior to this I thought in the sub 300 price category the Beyer DT990/880 were the best, they certainly still are at the top of the chart but this...
A Brief Review of the FiiO X3 2nd Generation DAP with Comparisons to the Xuelin iHiFi 800. Firstly, I would like to thank Mr. James Chung for allowing this preview of FiiO’s new X3...
Hello all in Head Fi community. This is my first ever review in this forum.I am not an expert in reviewing so I will only use very simple term or definition to convey my message. I just received...
My colleague owns a pair of HD 580. Their sound is very versatile, bass and highs are extended perfectly. Despite that, extreme ends never flood the mids. Whatever you listen to, they will not let...
This review is for Aurisonics Rockets in ears, a little about me I am 38 years old and have been into hi-res audio since I was in middle school. I don't consider myself an audiophile like many on...
- Headphone Impedance
Cary Audio SLI 80 - Owners Unite! - Page 10
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
SLI-80 is inbound. I will have it next Saturday.
Here is the ad from Audiogon:
I have for sale a Cary SLI-80 Signature Integrated Amp in excellent condition. I am the second owner, the unit is about 6 years old, It has the Jensen p10 cap upgrade that makes these units really sing. Also has the Kimber Kable cd input wire upgrade as well. Both wire upgrades were were done at Cary. I am including a factory Cary bias meter with the sale worth a $100.00 these meters do not come with the standard units. It makes biasing the output tubes a snap. just plug into jacks on the unit . The tubes include a matched quad of Genalex Gold Lion KT 88 tubes, two Sovtek 5U4G tubes, two NOS Sylvania 6922 tubes, and two Electro- Harmonix 6sn7 tubes. These are upgraded tubes, not the standard issue tubes you get when you buy a new unit. These tubes have very little use on them The tubes were installed by previous owner around the end of 2012. The unit comes with the Original metal remote control, box and manual, the unit looks and runs great.
I'll get to mess with it next Saturday. dminches has graciously offered to help me with setup. Tubes recommendations are appreciated. I may not act immediately on them as I have a few tubes to try around here already.
I can't wait.
I picked up the SLI-80 at Fedex this morning. As mentioned it came with Genalex Golden Lion KT88's. I swapped the SovTek 5U4G's for Philips 5R4GYS's. I also swapped out the NOS Sylvania 6922's for Genalex Golden Lion's as well. I stayed with the Electro Harmonix 6SN7's.
I opened it up before setting it up to check out the factory upgrades.
Nice to see the Jensen Caps and the Kimber cable CD input upgrades!
It was a nice bonus to have the Cary Bias meter included. It took about 1/2 hour to get things configured, biased and connected. Wow does it sound great!
David, I biased it first. The fellow I bought it from included all the biasing instructions from Cary along with the Cary Bias meter. I followed the instructions exactly. I have the amp set at 75mA at the moment. I see it ranges up to 100mA by the manual. Any recommendations for settings?
The hardest part was the patience to take the proper time and set it up rather than just fire it up and start listening.
I am always between 75 and 80. The pain of biasing is that you have to keep going back and forth since a change in the bias of 1 channel affects the bias of the other. It should only take 5-10 minutes.
That's where I set it. As close to 75 as I could , but it is probably more like 77 or so for each channel.
I am running my Vandersteen 1B's with it now. Best I have ever heard them. I have never gotten bass like this before. Solid and deep. Very nice.
OK, just for fun I swapped out the Philips 5R4GYS's with the USAF-596's Nothing at all wrong with the Philips. I have just been a fan of the 596 for a ling time.
Fabolous! How does it sound?
Sublime! The HD800's just sing and I have never heard my Vandersteen 1B's sound as good. The bass I am getting from them.....I had no idea they had it in them!
KT120 got installed today. There is definitely a little more top and bottom end, mids did not change. They are HUGE tubes, if you put these in your amp and you are using it in the middle of a rack or shelf, be sure you will still have enough clearance on top. They add another inch or so to the height of a 6550.
So, are you enjoying the KT120's? Are they a worthy upgrade for the SLI-80?
Stavros, it is outstanding. No surprise since the original DAC-2 and SLI-80 was a magic combo for me. I was enjoying Shelby Lynne's "Just a Little Lovin" album in DSD64 and it was like you were sitting in the small club with her.
- Cary Audio SLI 80 - Owners Unite!
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › DT770 pro 80's broke, confidence lost in Beyer...advice please 3 seconds ago
- › New release - the AKG K553 Pro - featuring a killer Massdrop deal 8 seconds ago
- › QLS QA360: Another DSD-capable DAP 15 seconds ago
- › Fiio X5 - Custom/Modded firmwares 24 seconds ago
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › CanJam SoCal 2015 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › New Grace Design m920 DAC/amp with DSD decoding 7 minutes ago
- › Why the Beats Hate? 7 minutes ago
- › 6922 Tube Review - 17 Top 6922 6N23P E88CC CCa 7308 E188CC tubes 7 minutes ago
- › Looking to replace my Audeze LCD-2. Recommendations for alternatives? 10 minutes ago
- › Philips Fidelio X2 by Zulkr9
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by jdog
- › ZERO AUDIO-ear stereo headphone carbo Basso ZH-DX210-CB by AzimAkbar
- › Sennheiser HD540 Reference Headphones by homesicalien
- › Aurisonics Rockets Solo Precision Micro-Dynamic Noise Isolating... by acain
- › Incipio f38 Headphones by ahnvx
- › Bose® IE2 audio headphones by Sarurururu
- › Baldoor EarBell E100 by Ruwetuin
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by mark2410
- › Sony Inner Ear Hi-res Stereo Headphone Xba-a2 Black (Japan Import) by Hawaiibadboy
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2