Not yet. I found one on Audiogon. It is a Signature, not an F1. It does have the Kimber upgrades and Jensen caps as well....I am looking forward to hearing it with the Decware DM945's and my HD800's.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Cary SLI-80 vs Cary exciter headphone amp. Last post on 5/18/11 at 6:42am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Neutral Desktop Headphone AMP for Heir Audio 4.A CIEM? Last post on 8/20/12 at 7:41am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- [LIST][OPINION] Amp recommendations for Fostex/Denon Headphones. Last post on 4/5/16 at 2:45am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Govibe Peak Last post on 7/9/12 at 12:12am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Amp upgrade for AH-D5000 Last post on 7/2/12 at 4:45am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
I bought these (at £150) expecting much but was shocked by how far they fell short of even competency. They are very uncomfortable, badly designed and the sound is really nothing special. Whatever...
Can’t believe nobody has commented on the lack of an extremely basic feature that exists on 99% of MP3 players but missing from this and many other Fiio units — which is the ability to bookmark....
Advanced AcousticWerkes Q: Deceptively Small The AAW Q is an upcoming IEM from Singaporean company Advanced AcousticWerkes, scheduled for release in the first week of September. It boasts a new...
Now that I've heard all the ADEL modules from Asius technologies(what has been released since 8/16), it's even harder to pick a favorite. Some days I want to tune the sound to my unique anatomy,...
- Headphone Impedance
Cary Audio SLI 80 - Owners Unite! - Page 10
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
SLI-80 is inbound. I will have it next Saturday.
Here is the ad from Audiogon:
I have for sale a Cary SLI-80 Signature Integrated Amp in excellent condition. I am the second owner, the unit is about 6 years old, It has the Jensen p10 cap upgrade that makes these units really sing. Also has the Kimber Kable cd input wire upgrade as well. Both wire upgrades were were done at Cary. I am including a factory Cary bias meter with the sale worth a $100.00 these meters do not come with the standard units. It makes biasing the output tubes a snap. just plug into jacks on the unit . The tubes include a matched quad of Genalex Gold Lion KT 88 tubes, two Sovtek 5U4G tubes, two NOS Sylvania 6922 tubes, and two Electro- Harmonix 6sn7 tubes. These are upgraded tubes, not the standard issue tubes you get when you buy a new unit. These tubes have very little use on them The tubes were installed by previous owner around the end of 2012. The unit comes with the Original metal remote control, box and manual, the unit looks and runs great.
I'll get to mess with it next Saturday. dminches has graciously offered to help me with setup. Tubes recommendations are appreciated. I may not act immediately on them as I have a few tubes to try around here already.
I can't wait.
I picked up the SLI-80 at Fedex this morning. As mentioned it came with Genalex Golden Lion KT88's. I swapped the SovTek 5U4G's for Philips 5R4GYS's. I also swapped out the NOS Sylvania 6922's for Genalex Golden Lion's as well. I stayed with the Electro Harmonix 6SN7's.
I opened it up before setting it up to check out the factory upgrades.
Nice to see the Jensen Caps and the Kimber cable CD input upgrades!
It was a nice bonus to have the Cary Bias meter included. It took about 1/2 hour to get things configured, biased and connected. Wow does it sound great!
David, I biased it first. The fellow I bought it from included all the biasing instructions from Cary along with the Cary Bias meter. I followed the instructions exactly. I have the amp set at 75mA at the moment. I see it ranges up to 100mA by the manual. Any recommendations for settings?
The hardest part was the patience to take the proper time and set it up rather than just fire it up and start listening.
I am always between 75 and 80. The pain of biasing is that you have to keep going back and forth since a change in the bias of 1 channel affects the bias of the other. It should only take 5-10 minutes.
That's where I set it. As close to 75 as I could , but it is probably more like 77 or so for each channel.
I am running my Vandersteen 1B's with it now. Best I have ever heard them. I have never gotten bass like this before. Solid and deep. Very nice.
OK, just for fun I swapped out the Philips 5R4GYS's with the USAF-596's Nothing at all wrong with the Philips. I have just been a fan of the 596 for a ling time.
Fabolous! How does it sound?
Sublime! The HD800's just sing and I have never heard my Vandersteen 1B's sound as good. The bass I am getting from them.....I had no idea they had it in them!
KT120 got installed today. There is definitely a little more top and bottom end, mids did not change. They are HUGE tubes, if you put these in your amp and you are using it in the middle of a rack or shelf, be sure you will still have enough clearance on top. They add another inch or so to the height of a 6550.
So, are you enjoying the KT120's? Are they a worthy upgrade for the SLI-80?
Stavros, it is outstanding. No surprise since the original DAC-2 and SLI-80 was a magic combo for me. I was enjoying Shelby Lynne's "Just a Little Lovin" album in DSD64 and it was like you were sitting in the small club with her.
- Cary Audio SLI 80 - Owners Unite!
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › Review: Questyle Audio QP1R - With Multiple Headphone and IEM... 8 seconds ago
- › Official Free FLAC File Music Sharing Thread 13 seconds ago
- › Astell&Kern Announces the AK300 and AK Recorder (5.6MHz DSD... 54 seconds ago
- › Caffeine addicts anonymous 55 seconds ago
- › Final Audio Design - F4100- Impressions/Reviews 1 minute ago
- › Questyle QP1 2 minutes ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 2 minutes ago
- › Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read... 2 minutes ago
- › AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Little Dot MK8SE / MK6 Super Mods (All verified mods are on first... 3 minutes ago
- › Flare Audio R1 Headphones by Mr Vicarious
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by greencalx
- › Advanced AcousticWerkes Q by ustinj
- › Asius Technologies ADEL™ G1 Auto Modules by Ike1985
- › AAW Nebula Two Hybrid In-Ear Monitor by tz0531
- › Shure SE215 by Nick Walters
- › E-mu Teak Headphones by AT Khan
- › Marshall Mode In-Ear Headphones, Black/White (4090939) by PopZeus
- › Pro-Ject Debut Carbon by davehg
- › Brainwavz Jive by Lurk650
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...