Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread. - Page 62

post #916 of 3320
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxhaxx View Post

Pish overnight shipping what a waste of money rolleyes.gif gotta love how fedex ground shipping takes only 1 day to deliver me the item.


Hate to rain on your parade but someone is listening to a new DAC right now and someone else isn't.  tongue.gifwink.gif

post #917 of 3320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaxilus View Post

Hate to rain on your parade but someone is listening to a new DAC right now and someone else isn't.  tongue.gifwink.gif



Still listening too.  I need to go to bed but cannot tear myself away from the music.  This is the way that I usually experience vinyl, but it is rare with digital.

post #918 of 3320
I agree with your comments about the DacMagic. It is great for what it is, but shimmery is a great word to use. Hoping I experience a similar change you have when my Bifrost arrives.
post #919 of 3320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaxilus View Post

Hate to rain on your parade but someone is listening to a new DAC right now and someone else isn't.  tongue.gifwink.gif

 

Still waiting for the main act to arrive, so the parade has yet to start.


 

 

post #920 of 3320

Bugger, I'm order like 400+, guess I have to wait a while :(

post #921 of 3320
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidNighorn View Post

Got mine today.  I was about the 20th order placed on Day 1.  Lest everyone start to wonder, I sent in a prepaid overnight shipping label.  You didn't get skipped.

 

To set the stage a bit, I have relatively limited experience with DACs.  Up to now, I have had the Dacmagic and the Cobra D10 units.  Both were a decent improvement over the Squeezebox internal DACs.

 

With just a few hours on it, I can say that the Bifrost is significantly better than the Dacmagic.  The primary quality that I notice is a much larger sense of space and soundstage.  This observation is made using HD600 headphones and the Asgard amp - a combination that I have been using for 7 months in conjunction with the Dacmagic.  The sound of the Bifrost is, to use a cliche, 'organic'.  Nothing calls attention to itself, but everything sounds alive.  By comparison, the Dacmagic was a bit 'shimmery' in a way that is dazzling at first but wears badly over the hours.  

 

Physically, the Bifrost is identical to the Asgard with the exception of the volume knob.  The two look great together.  And for those of you interested in heat output, the Bifrost runs just warm - like you would expect from a unit with electricity running through it.  By comparison to the egg-fryer (Asgard), it is positively cool.

 

I am not sure how much break-in will factor in on the Bifrost.  But I have reference recordings, as we all do, that will help me to accurately assess changes over the hours.

 

Based on this extremely limited session, I can assure you that I am saving for the Statement product to use in my listening room!


Great impressions, sigh, the wait for the Statement DAC is going to take forever.

 

post #922 of 3320

Thanks David for your initial impressions.  I am order 157 but with USB so will likely ship within the next week.  But your comments on the sound quality will at least help tide me over for a few more days.  My previous Dac was the DacMagic so I am very excited to hear and see the Bifrost sitting under the Lyr.  

 

Would it be childish to ask for a picture of the Bifrost and Asgard together?  bigsmile_face.gif

post #923 of 3320
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidNighorn View Post

Got mine today.  I was about the 20th order placed on Day 1.  Lest everyone start to wonder, I sent in a prepaid overnight shipping label.  You didn't get skipped.

 

To set the stage a bit, I have relatively limited experience with DACs.  Up to now, I have had the Dacmagic and the Cobra D10 units.  Both were a decent improvement over the Squeezebox internal DACs.

 

With just a few hours on it, I can say that the Bifrost is significantly better than the Dacmagic.  The primary quality that I notice is a much larger sense of space and soundstage.  This observation is made using HD600 headphones and the Asgard amp - a combination that I have been using for 7 months in conjunction with the Dacmagic.  The sound of the Bifrost is, to use a cliche, 'organic'.  Nothing calls attention to itself, but everything sounds alive.  By comparison, the Dacmagic was a bit 'shimmery' in a way that is dazzling at first but wears badly over the hours.  

 

Physically, the Bifrost is identical to the Asgard with the exception of the volume knob.  The two look great together.  And for those of you interested in heat output, the Bifrost runs just warm - like you would expect from a unit with electricity running through it.  By comparison to the egg-fryer (Asgard), it is positively cool.

 

I am not sure how much break-in will factor in on the Bifrost.  But I have reference recordings, as we all do, that will help me to accurately assess changes over the hours.

 

Based on this extremely limited session, I can assure you that I am saving for the Statement product to use in my listening room!


Good..... tell me David, do you think we can put the Bifrost under the Asgard without problems ????

 

I want to use the Asgard I have to listen to movies without disturbing anyone..... I'll get my new Bluray player this Friday, and if the Dac is so-so, I will strongly consider buying a Bifrost....except that I would have to put it under the Asgard.... Just want to make sure it's feasible....

 

Or maybe Jason could answer this...

 

Denys
 

 

post #924 of 3320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denys View Post

Good..... tell me David, do you think we can put the Bifrost under the Asgard without problems ????

 

I want to use the Asgard I have to listen to movies without disturbing anyone..... I'll get my new Bluray player this Friday, and if the Dac is so-so, I will strongly consider buying a Bifrost....except that I would have to put it under the Asgard.... Just want to make sure it's feasible....

 

Or maybe Jason could answer this...

 

Denys 

 


I never did attach the rubber knobs to the bottom of the Asgard.  As such, it is absolutely flat on the bottom.  When I set up the Bifrost yesterday, I put the Asgard directly on top of it, providing contact across the top/bottom of the components.  The Bifrost absorbed quite a lot of the Asgard heat.  Next, I put a couple of my kids' wooden building blocks between them and there was no problem at all.  If pressed, I'd say that the little rubber feet that come with the Asgard would be enough to eliminate most of the heat transfer.

 

That is a long way of saying 'Go ahead.  Just make sure there is a small bit of space between them.'

 

post #925 of 3320

Hope to see a tracking number soon at least. I'm number 30th in queue, so it shouldn't take long (?). 

post #926 of 3320

I am more interested in comparisons with the NFB-2 which is in the same league(or NFB-3, since they are very similar anyway)

post #927 of 3320

Also, any comparison with the DAC in the NFB-10SE would be greatly appreciated (ideal: Bifrost -> Lyr vs NFB-10SE for LCD-2)

post #928 of 3320

i am something like #398 and jason said 2 weeks from now :(

post #929 of 3320

A Bifrost/Lyr vs 10SE comparison would certainly be interesting. From the NFB10 and NFB10SE threads it seems the Lyr and 10SE (even single-ended) are pretty close in performance; so mayb​e the DAC comparison would be quite revealing about the bifrost...

post #930 of 3320
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denys View Post

[...] Or maybe Jason could answer this..


He already did. Search the first post for "stack" ;)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread.