Has anyone gotten their bifrost yet? Any prelim impressions?
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Replacement DAC section for NuForce Icon HDP? Last post on 5/3/13 at 9:39pm in Computer Audio
- M-Audio 2496 sound card, do I need a DAC? Last post on 5/22/14 at 11:35am in Computer Audio
- Noob trying to get good sound Last post on 11/16/12 at 3:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best DAC pairing with the Darkstar Last post on 12/23/16 at 8:27pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Musical Fidelity A3.24 vs. Schiit Bifrost Last post on 10/22/12 at 3:32pm in Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
Last edited: 12/16/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread. - Page 61post #901 of 333710/8/11 at 8:48pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #902 of 333710/8/11 at 9:02pmpost #903 of 333710/8/11 at 9:15pmSome people who ordered early without USB should have had theirs ship on Friday. I am hanging out. My home rig has gone from having the choice of a matrix and DacMagic down to now having to use my iBasso d12 as the DAC. The Bifrost will be a big improvement. I am looking forward to comparing the optical and USB inputs. Because I use a Mac as source I don't really have a coax output. This means that I can output 192 via pure music software upsampling but only 96 via optical.
Let the feedback and reviews commence.post #904 of 333710/9/11 at 1:04pmpost #905 of 333710/9/11 at 1:09pmQuote:Originally Posted by Kremer930
Some people who ordered early without USB should have had theirs ship on Friday. I am hanging out. My home rig has gone from having the choice of a matrix and DacMagic down to now having to use my iBasso d12 as the DAC. The Bifrost will be a big improvement. I am looking forward to comparing the optical and USB inputs. Because I use a Mac as source I don't really have a coax output. This means that I can output 192 via pure music software upsampling but only 96 via optical.
Let the feedback and reviews commence.
Don't think schiit has shipped out all of the non-USB version yet :[ Still waiting on my trackcingpost #906 of 333710/9/11 at 2:36pmpost #907 of 333710/10/11 at 5:37pmpost #908 of 333710/10/11 at 5:38pmpost #909 of 333710/11/11 at 4:54ampost #910 of 333710/11/11 at 8:42ampost #911 of 333710/11/11 at 3:09pm
At least you wont have long to wait.
People should start receiving their non usb units about now. Cant wait for the initial thoughts and reviews. Will hopefully have mine in a week too.post #912 of 333710/11/11 at 8:37pm
Got mine today. I was about the 20th order placed on Day 1. Lest everyone start to wonder, I sent in a prepaid overnight shipping label. You didn't get skipped.
To set the stage a bit, I have relatively limited experience with DACs. Up to now, I have had the Dacmagic and the Cobra D10 units. Both were a decent improvement over the Squeezebox internal DACs.
With just a few hours on it, I can say that the Bifrost is significantly better than the Dacmagic. The primary quality that I notice is a much larger sense of space and soundstage. This observation is made using HD600 headphones and the Asgard amp - a combination that I have been using for 7 months in conjunction with the Dacmagic. The sound of the Bifrost is, to use a cliche, 'organic'. Nothing calls attention to itself, but everything sounds alive. By comparison, the Dacmagic was a bit 'shimmery' in a way that is dazzling at first but wears badly over the hours.
Physically, the Bifrost is identical to the Asgard with the exception of the volume knob. The two look great together. And for those of you interested in heat output, the Bifrost runs just warm - like you would expect from a unit with electricity running through it. By comparison to the egg-fryer (Asgard), it is positively cool.
I am not sure how much break-in will factor in on the Bifrost. But I have reference recordings, as we all do, that will help me to accurately assess changes over the hours.
Based on this extremely limited session, I can assure you that I am saving for the Statement product to use in my listening room!
Edited by DavidNighorn - 10/11/11 at 8:39pmpost #913 of 333710/11/11 at 8:45pmpost #914 of 333710/11/11 at 8:46pm
Pish overnight shipping what a waste of money gotta love how fedex ground shipping takes only 1 day to deliver me the item.
Hopefully Schiit can ship it out by the end of the week :[. Sold my nfb-12 to make room for the Biforst and now my Lyr and LCD2 is all lonely.
- Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread.
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 1 minute ago
- › Sony/HTC/AKG/Blue/MISC Thread 1 minute ago
- › REVIEW: Comparison of 5 High End Digital Music Servers - Aurender... 2 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 2 minutes ago
- › Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Pioneer's First Hi-End Headphones: SE-Master 1 4 minutes ago
- › Winnipeg meets' thread (Ongoing) 5 minutes ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 6 minutes ago
- › Crack;Bottlehead OTL 6 minutes ago
- › Schiit Freya Impressions and Tube Rolling Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Audio-Technica AT-PHA100 by Army-Firedawg
- › Noble Audio Katana by EZE99
- › Meze 99 Neo by Dobrescu George
- › AKG K 550 by Mink
- › Denon AH-MM400 Music Maniac Over-Ear Headphones by krenky
- › Edifier K180 by Redcarmoose
- › Mrobo C5 2.0 by crabdog
- › FiiO X5 3rd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by ObjectVoice
- › Archeer AH07 Bluetooth Headphones Wireless Stereo Over Ear... by genclaymore
- › Wired Earphones, Mixcder X5 In-Ear Earbud Headphones Metal Housing... by slowpickr
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear