Has anyone gotten their bifrost yet? Any prelim impressions?
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Replacement DAC section for NuForce Icon HDP? Last post on 5/3/13 at 9:39pm in Computer Audio
- M-Audio 2496 sound card, do I need a DAC? Last post on 5/22/14 at 11:35am in Computer Audio
- Noob trying to get good sound Last post on 11/16/12 at 3:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best DAC pairing with the Darkstar Last post on 10/29/12 at 11:26pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Musical Fidelity A3.24 vs. Schiit Bifrost Last post on 10/22/12 at 3:32pm in Dedicated Source Components
Warm sound, good mid, great price Easy to drive compare with other studio headphone, there is shouldn't be too much complaint consider this headphone now only retail about $70 and sound really...
So the Pan Am from ALO Audio. This little guy is pretty dang impressive. An excellently-built, functioning desktop solution that is pretty easy on the eyes too! For the record, I've got the whole...
REVIEW: Brainwavz S5 Specifications: (from Brainwavz site) Driver: 10mm Dynamic Rated Impedance: 16 Ω Frequency Range: 18Hz - 24kHz Sensitivity: 110 dB @ 1 mW Cable: 1.3m,...
Thanks to Greed for a 10-day loan of his Ref 1 set, which I fully burnt-in and auditioned. This set had the uber cable. Super Brief Review (it's all just what my ears heard, if you love your Ref 1...
This review is going to be updated once I receive a balanced cable and use this amp in balanced operation. I figured this amp needed a proper review on here, and there is a lot of good stuff to say...
Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread. - Page 61
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Let the feedback and reviews commence.
Some people who ordered early without USB should have had theirs ship on Friday. I am hanging out. My home rig has gone from having the choice of a matrix and DacMagic down to now having to use my iBasso d12 as the DAC. The Bifrost will be a big improvement. I am looking forward to comparing the optical and USB inputs. Because I use a Mac as source I don't really have a coax output. This means that I can output 192 via pure music software upsampling but only 96 via optical.
Let the feedback and reviews commence.
Don't think schiit has shipped out all of the non-USB version yet :[ Still waiting on my trackcing
At least you wont have long to wait.
People should start receiving their non usb units about now. Cant wait for the initial thoughts and reviews. Will hopefully have mine in a week too.
Got mine today. I was about the 20th order placed on Day 1. Lest everyone start to wonder, I sent in a prepaid overnight shipping label. You didn't get skipped.
To set the stage a bit, I have relatively limited experience with DACs. Up to now, I have had the Dacmagic and the Cobra D10 units. Both were a decent improvement over the Squeezebox internal DACs.
With just a few hours on it, I can say that the Bifrost is significantly better than the Dacmagic. The primary quality that I notice is a much larger sense of space and soundstage. This observation is made using HD600 headphones and the Asgard amp - a combination that I have been using for 7 months in conjunction with the Dacmagic. The sound of the Bifrost is, to use a cliche, 'organic'. Nothing calls attention to itself, but everything sounds alive. By comparison, the Dacmagic was a bit 'shimmery' in a way that is dazzling at first but wears badly over the hours.
Physically, the Bifrost is identical to the Asgard with the exception of the volume knob. The two look great together. And for those of you interested in heat output, the Bifrost runs just warm - like you would expect from a unit with electricity running through it. By comparison to the egg-fryer (Asgard), it is positively cool.
I am not sure how much break-in will factor in on the Bifrost. But I have reference recordings, as we all do, that will help me to accurately assess changes over the hours.
Based on this extremely limited session, I can assure you that I am saving for the Statement product to use in my listening room!
Edited by DavidNighorn - 10/11/11 at 8:39pm
Pish overnight shipping what a waste of money gotta love how fedex ground shipping takes only 1 day to deliver me the item.
Hopefully Schiit can ship it out by the end of the week :[. Sold my nfb-12 to make room for the Biforst and now my Lyr and LCD2 is all lonely.
- Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread.
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 1 minute ago
- › Grado e Series 2 minutes ago
- › Thoughts on Klipsch Status headphones? 3 minutes ago
- › Hifiman EF-5 headphone amplifier mods and rolls 4 minutes ago
- › AKG K601 & K612 Pro Owners... UNITE!! 6 minutes ago
- › chord hugo + shure SE846 for your Ak240 RWAK 6 minutes ago
- › Rate The Last Movie You Watched 7 minutes ago
- › Desktop headphones for $150 range 10 minutes ago
- › FIDUE A83 impressions and discussion thread 10 minutes ago
- › iBasso DX90 Bug Thread - Post Any Firmware Bugs/Issues Here 11 minutes ago
- › AKG Acoustics K-240 Semi Open Studio Headphones by jerryg
- › ALO Audio The Pan Am by JoeDoe
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by Zelda
- › Tralucent Audio Ref 1 by Kunlun
- › Violectric HPA V281 by saxelrod92
- › Yamaha EPH-100SL Inner-Ear Headphone by lumberjake
- › Schiit Audio Ragnarok by goldendarko
- › Ultimate Ears UE9000 Noise-Cancelling Wireless Headphones by SennsAsian
- › Crystal by MEElectronics In-Ear Headphones with Microphone Made... by indieman
- › Fidue A31s by djvkool
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)