Terrific stuff, Andre - thanks! Nice to understand a little more about what I'm looking at.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Replacement DAC section for NuForce Icon HDP? Last post on 5/3/13 at 9:39pm in Computer Audio
- M-Audio 2496 sound card, do I need a DAC? Last post on 5/22/14 at 11:35am in Computer Audio
- Noob trying to get good sound Last post on 11/16/12 at 3:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best DAC pairing with the Darkstar Last post on 10/29/12 at 11:26pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Musical Fidelity A3.24 vs. Schiit Bifrost Last post on 10/22/12 at 3:32pm in Dedicated Source Components
I have to say I was very impressed with this little beauty. For my 63 yr. young ears after being subjected to some of the most ferocious live hard rock and heavy metal it really does justice to...
Setup I got my pair on sale for $150 USD. I have had a few lower end AKG headphones and have never been disappointed with the value and sound signature they offered. It's been a long time...
This is my first review. Honestly I am quite new to head-fi although I have tried and bought and sold a lot of headphones and earphones lately. I bought a pair of MA750 a week ago for 108USD in...
My reviews are usually long winded and detailed, but in this review im keeping things short as this is not a high-end product by any means. I have had the Sansa Clip since June of last year, and...
In my humble opinion the Sennheiser HD600 is by far one of the best sounding dynamic headphones on the market period hopefully you'll agree with me at the end of this...
Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread. - Page 60
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Yeah thanks a ton, Andre - very insightful for those of us without the required knowledge to know what we're looking at.
I think I posted this earlier in this thread or the other one in the Sponsor announcements board, but I had asked Jason a month or so ago via e-mail about Schiit's transformer choice of EI transformers versus toroidal (or even R-Core/C-Core), which seems to be the most popular transformer choice in modern DACs, his reply being:
Yeah, transformers get down to more of a religious discussion sometimes, but, bottom line: why would you want a transformer that bleeds more high-frequency hash back onto the AC line (like a toroid or R-core) in a DAC?
EI's the way to go for power (or C-core.)
Toroid or R-core is the way to go for output coupling (for tube amps.)
That's how we see it.
Here is a marked up picture of the Bifrost guts:
edit: fix up the transistor text to say it's 1 of 8.
edit: here is an updated picture pointing out the two LEDs on the analog board, and one more crystal on the USB board: https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-yZIzBrpRx-I/To4WTkP72QI/AAAAAAAABD0/A8K4L_T_F0Q/bifrost.jpg
Edited by AndreYew - 10/6/11 at 2:03pm
Good work AndreYew. We knew the USB board was plug in, but what suprised me was the audio board being a seperate module.
It looks like this audio output board will be used in the mid range Schiit DAC as well, but with balanced outputs using those extra pins.
Thanks Andre. I was impressed this morning when I read your commentary of the board design. I dont know much more than what's a capacitor and whats a resistor so it is great to have someone explain the build. The annotated photo is really great.
It will be interesting to see how Schiit goes with the modular designs. We already know that they have shared components and chassis for their amps to date and the Bifrost. We also know that the Bifrost will have upgradeable modules -USB and Dac at least. I am guessing that the need for the larger chassis will stop the upgrading from going too far. ie taking a bifrost to a balanced output.
I am still really impressed with Schiit. Even the wait for the Bifrost is not even dampening my excitement.
Bring on the announcement of the intermediate Dac and Amp and then the Statement Gear. I wish Schiit all the best in their business.
I believe the toggle is for power, and the button up front is for selecting between inputs (USB, Coaxial, S/PDIF).
I think the rear toggle switch is power on/off. The front button select from the three inputs, and the 3 led's at the edge of the mainboard are the visual light for each of those inputs. The other internal LED's must be for diagnostic?
Edited by agisthos - 10/6/11 at 6:07am
Midweek update for everyone (well, kinda past midweek . . .)
Our lives at the boardhouse are winding down. I can now say we will be shipping a handful of Bifrosts on Friday, another handful on Monday, and will have good supply as of Tuesday.
Apologies again for the delay.
Not at all --- I'm glad people find it interesting. I've added a couple more things to it. For example, there are two yellow LEDs in the analog output stage --- I know diodes are sometimes used as references, so perhaps this is another way of doing it? Also, there is another clock crystal, for a total of 3, on the USB card. Here is the new pic, and I've kept the old one so I don't break any links:
edit: the connector from the DAC board to the main board has 24 connectors. Probably some are grounds, and some are power supply lines but there are more than enough pins to implement some kind of differential transmission of the digital data to the DAC itself especially if they're doing just 2 channels. That would be 4 pins for the differential audio data, and 20 leftover for plenty of ground and power-carrying capacity. Some might be unused for future expansion, too --- it's hard to say without the board in hand.
Edited by AndreYew - 10/6/11 at 2:09pm
- Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread.
- › M40x vs. HD 598 vs. AKG 240 MK II vs. AKG 553 37 seconds ago
- › Flare Audio R2PRO Kickstarter campaign 38 seconds ago
- › Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 1 minute ago
- › iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions,... 1 minute ago
- › Looking for a budget headphone amp for hi-fi separates! 1 minute ago
- › Three Word Story 2 minutes ago
- › Best recorded albums of all time? 2 minutes ago
- › KGSShv Carbon - hows it sound with the 009s? 2 minutes ago
- › Corda Daccord 2 minutes ago
- › Aune B1 by Cotnijoe
- › Schiit Audio Valhalla 2 by WifiWizard
- › AKG K612 PRO Reference Studio Headphones by rigodeni
- › RHA MA750 by fableofgod
- › SanDisk SDMX22-004G-A57K Sansa Clip Zip 4 GB, Black by xkonfuzed
- › Sennheiser HD 600 by xevman
- › Trinity - Techne Dynamic IEM by mark2410
- › Ubsound Fighter in-ear monitor with universal inline microphone and... by acain
- › T-Peos Altone250 by Cotnijoe
- › GUSTARD H10 High-current Discrete Class A Stage Headphone Amplifier by JoeDoe
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2