Terrific stuff, Andre - thanks! Nice to understand a little more about what I'm looking at.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Replacement DAC section for NuForce Icon HDP? Last post on 5/3/13 at 9:39pm in Computer Audio
- M-Audio 2496 sound card, do I need a DAC? Last post on 5/22/14 at 11:35am in Computer Audio
- Noob trying to get good sound Last post on 11/16/12 at 3:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best DAC pairing with the Darkstar Last post on 10/29/12 at 11:26pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Musical Fidelity A3.24 vs. Schiit Bifrost Last post on 10/22/12 at 3:32pm in Dedicated Source Components
Build I've had a lot of headphones in the past and prior to this I thought in the sub 300 price category the Beyer DT990/880 were the best, they certainly still are at the top of the chart but this...
A Brief Review of the FiiO X3 2nd Generation DAP with Comparisons to the Xuelin iHiFi 800. Firstly, I would like to thank Mr. James Chung for allowing this preview of FiiO’s new X3...
Hello all in Head Fi community. This is my first ever review in this forum.I am not an expert in reviewing so I will only use very simple term or definition to convey my message. I just received...
My colleague owns a pair of HD 580. Their sound is very versatile, bass and highs are extended perfectly. Despite that, extreme ends never flood the mids. Whatever you listen to, they will not let...
This review is for Aurisonics Rockets in ears, a little about me I am 38 years old and have been into hi-res audio since I was in middle school. I don't consider myself an audiophile like many on...
Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread. - Page 60
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Yeah thanks a ton, Andre - very insightful for those of us without the required knowledge to know what we're looking at.
I think I posted this earlier in this thread or the other one in the Sponsor announcements board, but I had asked Jason a month or so ago via e-mail about Schiit's transformer choice of EI transformers versus toroidal (or even R-Core/C-Core), which seems to be the most popular transformer choice in modern DACs, his reply being:
Yeah, transformers get down to more of a religious discussion sometimes, but, bottom line: why would you want a transformer that bleeds more high-frequency hash back onto the AC line (like a toroid or R-core) in a DAC?
EI's the way to go for power (or C-core.)
Toroid or R-core is the way to go for output coupling (for tube amps.)
That's how we see it.
Here is a marked up picture of the Bifrost guts:
edit: fix up the transistor text to say it's 1 of 8.
edit: here is an updated picture pointing out the two LEDs on the analog board, and one more crystal on the USB board: https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-yZIzBrpRx-I/To4WTkP72QI/AAAAAAAABD0/A8K4L_T_F0Q/bifrost.jpg
Edited by AndreYew - 10/6/11 at 2:03pm
Good work AndreYew. We knew the USB board was plug in, but what suprised me was the audio board being a seperate module.
It looks like this audio output board will be used in the mid range Schiit DAC as well, but with balanced outputs using those extra pins.
Thanks Andre. I was impressed this morning when I read your commentary of the board design. I dont know much more than what's a capacitor and whats a resistor so it is great to have someone explain the build. The annotated photo is really great.
It will be interesting to see how Schiit goes with the modular designs. We already know that they have shared components and chassis for their amps to date and the Bifrost. We also know that the Bifrost will have upgradeable modules -USB and Dac at least. I am guessing that the need for the larger chassis will stop the upgrading from going too far. ie taking a bifrost to a balanced output.
I am still really impressed with Schiit. Even the wait for the Bifrost is not even dampening my excitement.
Bring on the announcement of the intermediate Dac and Amp and then the Statement Gear. I wish Schiit all the best in their business.
I believe the toggle is for power, and the button up front is for selecting between inputs (USB, Coaxial, S/PDIF).
I think the rear toggle switch is power on/off. The front button select from the three inputs, and the 3 led's at the edge of the mainboard are the visual light for each of those inputs. The other internal LED's must be for diagnostic?
Edited by agisthos - 10/6/11 at 6:07am
Midweek update for everyone (well, kinda past midweek . . .)
Our lives at the boardhouse are winding down. I can now say we will be shipping a handful of Bifrosts on Friday, another handful on Monday, and will have good supply as of Tuesday.
Apologies again for the delay.
Not at all --- I'm glad people find it interesting. I've added a couple more things to it. For example, there are two yellow LEDs in the analog output stage --- I know diodes are sometimes used as references, so perhaps this is another way of doing it? Also, there is another clock crystal, for a total of 3, on the USB card. Here is the new pic, and I've kept the old one so I don't break any links:
edit: the connector from the DAC board to the main board has 24 connectors. Probably some are grounds, and some are power supply lines but there are more than enough pins to implement some kind of differential transmission of the digital data to the DAC itself especially if they're doing just 2 channels. That would be 4 pins for the differential audio data, and 20 leftover for plenty of ground and power-carrying capacity. Some might be unused for future expansion, too --- it's hard to say without the board in hand.
Edited by AndreYew - 10/6/11 at 2:09pm
- Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread.
- › 3 pairs of Comply T-200 foam tips 22 seconds ago
- › The all new Continental Dual Mono 51 seconds ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 52 seconds ago
- › Grado e Series 1 minute ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (2/17/2015) 1 minute ago
- › Best classical recordings...ever! 1 minute ago
- › Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution 1 minute ago
- › A little about the Shozy Alien 1 minute ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 3 minutes ago
- › CanJam SoCal 2015 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Philips Fidelio X2 by Zulkr9
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by jdog
- › ZERO AUDIO-ear stereo headphone carbo Basso ZH-DX210-CB by AzimAkbar
- › Sennheiser HD540 Reference Headphones by homesicalien
- › Aurisonics Rockets Solo Precision Micro-Dynamic Noise Isolating... by acain
- › Incipio f38 Headphones by ahnvx
- › Bose® IE2 audio headphones by Sarurururu
- › Baldoor EarBell E100 by Ruwetuin
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by mark2410
- › Sony Inner Ear Hi-res Stereo Headphone Xba-a2 Black (Japan Import) by Hawaiibadboy
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2