Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread. - Page 44

post #646 of 3320

I thought black would look cooler as well, but after getting the Lyr, it being silver makes it stand out amongst my setup which I quite like.

post #647 of 3320
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacejunk View Post

I haven't read this thread in it's entirety so I apologise if this question has already been answered, but will the Schiit DAC operate at a high temperature? It's a consideration for me with my desktop set up. Thanks in advance.


What you planning on doing cooking it ? biggrin.gif
post #648 of 3320

I am pretty sure that Jason has said that he doesnt think that tubes are a good match with DAC's, or at least that was my interpretation, and so we should see solid state only.  Given that they dont need to output much power, I would guess that they wouldnt add any significant heat.  Does any dac get hot?  all of the stand alone dacs that I have tried have all ran cool.

post #649 of 3320
My Dacmagic runs slightly warm, not hot by any means, just warmer than room temperature.
post #650 of 3320

I'm sorry to say the barbecue option won't be available for Bifrost. It only runs slightly warm. Especially when it has the right voltage out from the transformer, ha.

 

 

post #651 of 3320

Oh yes, and the rather cryptic reference to overvoltage transformers was the bugaboo that put us behind. We've definitely learned our lesson on preorders: don't do it until ALL production parts are in-house and qualified.

 

Unfortunately, this will probably lead to some delays in announcing new gear, but it will contribute to your overall sanity, we think.

 

(And, that said, I still think you'll be seeing some balanced gear this year.)

post #652 of 3320

OK, C'mon, Jason, drop another veil - metaphorically speaking...

 

So we can expect a mid-grade DAC in a few months and then a loaded-for-bear effort at the end of 2011/early 2012, both in the same larger case?

 

And a balanced amp in that same large case, or are you planning two? And just for phones, or able to drive (very efficient) speakers as well?

 

Enquiring minds want to know (and start saving...)

post #653 of 3320
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45longcolt View Post

OK, C'mon, Jason, drop another veil - metaphorically speaking...

 

So we can expect a mid-grade DAC in a few months and then a loaded-for-bear effort at the end of 2011/early 2012, both in the same larger case?

 

And a balanced amp in that same large case, or are you planning two? And just for phones, or able to drive (very efficient) speakers as well?

 

Enquiring minds want to know (and start saving...)

 

Yeah, you don't want me dropping any more veils than metaphorical ones, that's for sure!

 

Here's what you can expect:

 

Balanced DAC and balanced/minimalist* amp, both in the same larger chassis, before the end of the year. It's likely the first balanced amp will be only solid state, to the dismay of our tube fans. Sorry about that. Some people like silicon too. It's cool. 

 

Statement DAC and statement/versatile hybrid balanced amp, both in the same larger chassis, and probably deeper than the aforementioned products, early next year. 

 

*Minimalist will still have things like single-ended outputs--we're not insane.

post #654 of 3320

Thanks, Jason, you're a gentleman and a scholar. No offense.wink_face.gif

 

Hope you don't mind if I skip the next two, but sign me up for the statement duo. Hopefully both will be available for preorder at the same time. And hopefully I'll have the coin by then.

 

 

post #655 of 3320
Wow Jason you got a genuine LOL from me with that first veil comment!

As always looking forward to the Bitfrost and also the statement DAC. Thanks for the communication on the delay.
post #656 of 3320

****!  The statement DAC got pushed back to 2012...hopefully the wait is worth it!

post #657 of 3320

I dont know if there is much change on the statement gear confirmed as yet.  My interpretation from what has been said so far was that it would go pre-order around Christmas and ship beginning of March in much the same manner as the Lyr did.

 

Once you hear the spec of that monster...the wait becomes even harder.  

post #658 of 3320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kremer930 View Post

I dont know if there is much change on the statement gear confirmed as yet.  My interpretation from what has been said so far was that it would go pre-order around Christmas and ship beginning of March in much the same manner as the Lyr did.

 

Once you hear the spec of that monster...the wait becomes even harder.  


it's kinda hard to know judge his specs without knowing exact hardware involved

 

post #659 of 3320
im sorry but i just cannot get over the name of the company.... how is that pronounced? Please tell me that it isnt pronounced how i think it is pronounced.
post #660 of 3320

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimants View Post

im sorry but i just cannot get over the name of the company.... how is that pronounced? Please tell me that it isnt pronounced how i think it is pronounced.


From their front page, "And yes, that is our name. And yes, it’s pronounced exactly like you think."

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread.