Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread. - Page 206

post #3076 of 3320
Quote:
Originally Posted by pukeman View Post

thanks for the suggestions guys, anyway I ended up picking up some cheap cables at wal-mart

 

so these cables are like HDMI cables right? ie: the quality doesn't matter?
 


If you have a system thats capable enough you'll for sure hear the difference between cables.

post #3077 of 3320
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiek997 View Post


If you have a system thats capable enough you'll for sure hear the difference between cables.

Not true.

 

There are plenty, of plenty here who have top Stax rigs with monoprice cables, for example.

 

Ultimately it comes down to if you think you can hear the differences between cables.

post #3078 of 3320
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxper View Post

Not true.

 

There are plenty, of plenty here who have top Stax rigs with monoprice cables, for example.

 

Ultimately it comes down to if you think you can hear the differences between cables.


Perhaps.

I know that I'm one of those who notices. Really notices. I was a skeptic at first. Then I tried it. Made detailed notes, swapped out cables and could hear a difference without a doubt. I've had cables that made the sound so muddy and dull that I instantly removed them, others would remove bass, yet others would induce brightness etc etc.

As usual, there are doubters and skeptics (there's a whole thread dedicated to tube rolling being snake oil for example). To each their own, we are after all fallible humans.

post #3079 of 3320
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiek997 View Post


Perhaps.

I know that I'm one of those who notices. Really notices. I was a skeptic at first. Then I tried it. Made detailed notes, swapped out cables and could hear a difference without a doubt. I've had cables that made the sound so muddy and dull that I instantly removed them, others would remove bass, yet others would induce brightness etc etc.

As usual, there are doubters and skeptics (there's a whole thread dedicated to tube rolling being snake oil for example). To each their own, we are after all fallible humans.

I know that I was previously a sonic cable skeptic, I always bought them for aesthetics/ergonomics.

 

But recently I got a DHC RS silver Complement loaner and I've been quite blown away.

Enough so that I'll be ordering one.

 

It's the first time where the cable difference isn't marginal, but other than that

I haven't found cables to differ much if at all. Ranging from different types of copper, vendors, etc.

 

I think the reasonable option for puke would be to buy a cheap cable first to get his rig together,

then later on if he decides he'd like to explore into cables, he can spend a bit more and experiment.

post #3080 of 3320
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxper View Post

I know that I was previously a sonic cable skeptic, I always bought them for aesthetics/ergonomics.

 

But recently I got a DHC RS silver Complement loaner and I've been quite blown away.

Enough so that I'll be ordering one.

 

It's the first time where the cable difference isn't marginal, but other than that

I haven't found cables to differ much if at all. Ranging from different types of copper, vendors, etc.

 

I think the reasonable option for puke would be to buy a cheap cable first to get his rig together,

then later on if he decides he'd like to explore into cables, he can spend a bit more and experiment.


Totally agree.... this hobby gets expensive, fast. Most important to sit back and just listen and not to constantly judge and wish for more. (Edit - removed)


Edited by eddiek997 - 3/15/13 at 10:04am
post #3081 of 3320

Blessed are those who can't, and blessed are those who can! :-)

post #3082 of 3320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterrogers View Post

Blessed are those who can't, and blessed are those who can! :-)


 

Blessed are the meek.

 

(Life of Brian)

post #3083 of 3320

thank again guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxper View Post

I know that I was previously a sonic cable skeptic, I always bought them for aesthetics/ergonomics.

 

But recently I got a DHC RS silver Complement loaner and I've been quite blown away.

Enough so that I'll be ordering one.

 

It's the first time where the cable difference isn't marginal, but other than that

I haven't found cables to differ much if at all. Ranging from different types of copper, vendors, etc.

 

I think the reasonable option for puke would be to buy a cheap cable first to get his rig together,

then later on if he decides he'd like to explore into cables, he can spend a bit more and experiment.

 

yea I agree. that's the same reason why I am sticking with stock tubes for the Lyr for now and getting better tubes later

 

and yes this is an expensive hobby, more than 1k on dac/amp and 750 for HE500. Hopefully the amp/dac will last a while

post #3084 of 3320

Hi guys,

I have got a brand new Bifrost DAC with USB, and it has got a problem "Schiit USB interface error".

Device status: Device cannot start (code 10).

 

Schiit USB Interface Properties read as below:

 

- Schiit USB inerface: sound.... ( not functioning mark as ! inside triangle)

- HID-compliant consummer control device: Human...  ...(OK)

- Schiit USB inerface: sound.... (OK)

- USB composite Device: Universal Serial  (OK)

- USB input device: Human... (OK)

 

What is it?

post #3085 of 3320

Looks like it maybe a drive issue, I would refer to the manual for further support.


Edited by gerald410 - 3/16/13 at 1:06pm
post #3086 of 3320

Working now...wonderful...

It looks like Matrix mini...+ Musiland US02 quality, or more.

Thanks.

post #3087 of 3320

Jason is responsive and prompt to provide the necessary answer and assistance.

He seems sometime though, but inside he willingly support his customer.

 

The quality of the Bifrost is greater than the combined force of Matrix mini and Musiland US 02 without hassles.

The sound is more spacious and more extended into both extremes of frequency bands.

 

Bifrost is connected to Emotiva mini-x and then He-5LE.

It is really good enough and well purchased.

 

I also expect Lyr soon from a Headfier with whom I delt the deal very pleasantly.

The same concerns about the headphone oriented hobby makes this level of friendliness, which is amazing.

 

Regards

post #3088 of 3320

Hey guys, 

I wanted to ask something that has been touched a bit in other thread but not really explained well enought.

 

I use my Pc mainly for games, and i own currently:

Fiio E17 as DAC (Dac and amp in portable setup), Asgard 1 as amp, HE-400 as Hp, and X-fi Titanium (the non HD version)in my pc.

 

It has an optical out line, and i use that to send the signal   to the Fiio E17.

 

I am Wondering if it would be worth it to get a Bifrost as well in that setup, or if the diference will be small.

Please note that the Price is for me quite high, not to mention i wanted to get either the Sennheiser HD600 as a complement for the HE-400 or the HE-500 in the later future.

 

As an example, for me the switch from The fiio E17 to the asgard as amp was well worth the money.

post #3089 of 3320

Usually differences in your DAC will be more subtle but you can appreciate it.  You will likely hear a difference.  The asgard is a reasonable amplifier but at that point it will become the weakest part of your chain, I'm not certain it can fully capture the resolution of the bifrost, they pair well enough together but what you should ask yourself is how content are you with the current resolution of your music.  A didn't find the bifrost to be extremely dynamic but it has acceptable detail for the price.  IMHO it's not really something you can ask us and a judgement call.  They have a nice return policy so you can always try and if you don't like just return it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catspaw View Post

Hey guys, 

I wanted to ask something that has been touched a bit in other thread but not really explained well enought.

 

I use my Pc mainly for games, and i own currently:

Fiio E17 as DAC (Dac and amp in portable setup), Asgard 1 as amp, HE-400 as Hp, and X-fi Titanium (the non HD version)in my pc.

 

It has an optical out line, and i use that to send the signal   to the Fiio E17.

 

I am Wondering if it would be worth it to get a Bifrost as well in that setup, or if the diference will be small.

Please note that the Price is for me quite high, not to mention i wanted to get either the Sennheiser HD600 as a complement for the HE-400 or the HE-500 in the later future.

 

As an example, for me the switch from The fiio E17 to the asgard as amp was well worth the money.

post #3090 of 3320

just received my gungnir and i have the same problem 

This device cannot start!!!! anybody can help??

 

also on spdif coaxial from focusrite scarlett (tested with internal lock and external lock from spdif)

 

i have sound ok and after 10sec the sound start to hickup a the same time of the click

 

it goes

click..

click, click...

click click click

click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click 

click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click 

 

click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click 

 

until it sound like it gonna burst in flame with 1000 click a nanosecond

 

WTF anybody can help (havent tried optical yet I will tomorrow on another card (scarlett doesnt have optical out)


Edited by Audiolic - 3/22/13 at 10:31pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread.