Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread. - Page 196

post #2926 of 3320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoeiii View Post


If you aren't hearing anything below 80 Hz, that would indicate a defective USB input to me. I would contact Schiit about that. No serious audio company would send a piece of electronics out into this world with that sort problem with one of its inputs. There is a problem somewhere (the DAC USB input or your USB source) that needs to be solved.

 

Maybe if I were to get another DAC, but I like the Bifrost, don't wanna send it out for repairs even if it is defective.  Maybe get a new USB receiver or something (take advantage of the modular feature that was marketed so hard) sometime in the future.

post #2927 of 3320
Then you should probably add to your other posts "it may be the case that this is a defective USB module, but I refuse to do something about it."
post #2928 of 3320

But it also may not be the case - I have no experience with other Bifrosts.  There was a request for opinions, and I stated mine.

post #2929 of 3320

Yes, it may not be the case. But readers of your statements should be aware that you are unwilling to seriously explore the possibility that there is a problem with your USB input (or the USB output of your source). No manufacturer would sell an audio device with no freq response below 80 Hz. There seems to be a real problem with your unit or something else in your set-up. I'd at least call Schiit if you haven't already to discuss this problem. If you aren't using your USB module, you could easily remove it and send it to Schiit for testing. Or they could help you determine if something else in your set-up may be causing this lack of info below 80Hz. No small complaint (at least for a basshead like myself).

post #2930 of 3320

from the gungnir thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Stoddard View Post

 

Bingo.

 

Aaannd...

 

Expect the top of the line to cost 2X+ for the DAC and just under 2X for the amp, and expect to wait quite a while--development of the DAC got reset to zero this summer because of a new DSP platform (the old one went end-of-life, in electronics-speak). Q1 2013 is the new guess. I've stopped saying "anticipated" or "expected" because it seems to get translated into "promised" far too often.

 

On the good news side, the new DSP platform is far more capable, which makes the statement DAC even more interesting. But it also does take us into new realms, which means more uncertainty, which means more time...

 
post #2931 of 3320

Connection question:  If I get the Schitt Bifrost and the Schitt Asgard, I will have to use the RCA input/outputs to connect the Bifrost to the Asgard.  How would I also connect powered speakers with RCA jacks to the Bifrost, given there is only one set of RCA input/outputs on both devices?

post #2932 of 3320
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBuck View Post

Connection question:  If I get the Schitt Bifrost and the Schitt Asgard, I will have to use the RCA input/outputs to connect the Bifrost to the Asgard.  How would I also connect powered speakers with RCA jacks to the Bifrost, given there is only one set of RCA input/outputs on both devices?

Get a set of RCA splitters (not sure of the technical term if there even is one, but basically a set of Y cables) and run it to both your Asgard and speakers.
post #2933 of 3320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiant00 View Post


Get a set of RCA splitters (not sure of the technical term if there even is one, but basically a set of Y cables) and run it to both your Asgard and speakers.

Ah.  OK.  Thanks.  A couple of these guys, right?

 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSahGXdJMnIhewy97HpdusX0okHYACUMc1xvwBt8UKii_ZTR2wgJA

post #2934 of 3320
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBuck View Post

Ah.  OK.  Thanks.  A couple of these guys, right?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSahGXdJMnIhewy97HpdusX0okHYACUMc1xvwBt8UKii_ZTR2wgJA

That looks right. I was actually thinking male to male, but what you posted would probably be even better since then you can use whatever length cable you want for each separately.
post #2935 of 3320

What is the width of soundstage in Bifrost?

Do you think Bifrost has a big soundstage (especially in width) in comparison to other DACs (let's say up to $700)?

 

I am looking for a suitable DAC for my LCD2.2 (driven from Schitt Lyr) that will give me more air and larger soundstage in LCD2.

Would you recommend me Bifrost or some other DACs?

post #2936 of 3320
I think the bifrost has about average soundstage width (compared to DacMagic and Dragonfly) but above average depth and layering within the soundstage.
post #2937 of 3320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiant00 View Post


That looks right. I was actually thinking male to male, but what you posted would probably be even better since then you can use whatever length cable you want for each separately.


I think sonically you would be better off with an adaptor that is solid metal as opposed to having IC wire of dubious quality. Something like these:

 

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=091-1045

 

or these:

 

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=091-515

post #2938 of 3320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoeiii View Post


I think sonically you would be better off with an adaptor that is solid metal as opposed to having IC wire of dubious quality. Something like these:

 

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=091-1045

 

or these:

 

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=091-515

 

Those seem like an excellent idea as well; I was more confirming the general connectors, not attempting to judge potential sound quality impact (although I am not a cable believer beyond basic verifiable physical phenomena).

post #2939 of 3320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiant00 View Post

 

Those seem like an excellent idea as well; I was more confirming the general connectors, not attempting to judge potential sound quality impact (although I am not a cable believer beyond basic verifiable physical phenomena).


Thanks to both Roscoeiii and Defiant00 for their help with my question.

post #2940 of 3320
Quote:
Originally Posted by TubeDriver View Post

I think the bifrost has about average soundstage width (compared to DacMagic and Dragonfly) but above average depth and layering within the soundstage.


For me LCD2.2's depth is already OK. The width of soundstage is what I am missing. In this case, I presume I should look for other (than Bifrost) DAC...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread.