- 1,617 Posts. Joined 5/2012
- Location: Fort Collins, CO
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Replacement DAC section for NuForce Icon HDP? Last post on 5/3/13 at 9:39pm in Computer Audio
- M-Audio 2496 sound card, do I need a DAC? Last post on 5/22/14 at 11:35am in Computer Audio
- Noob trying to get good sound Last post on 11/16/12 at 3:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best DAC pairing with the Darkstar Last post on 10/29/12 at 11:26pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Musical Fidelity A3.24 vs. Schiit Bifrost Last post on 10/22/12 at 3:32pm in Dedicated Source Components
Beats, the biggest headphone brand in the world, selling more headphones than any other by a large margin and with a huge 60% market share in it's domestic market in the USA, has largely been the...
Though these are by no means perfect headphones, their price and excellent bass make them one of the best headphones you can buy for under $200. These headphones are very fun to listen to. They...
Since this is a IEM review I'll keep it short , I have no respect for IEMs ...I wish I could use headphones in the bed but since I cannot I have to resort to IEMs , not a IEM guy I picked...
I'm not much of a audiophile nor a reviewer just a regular audio enthusiast.. Apologies & correct me if I'm wrong.. Absolutely "StUnNeD" by these gems thought of sharing my...
Right have the pleasure of owning these for about 4 months. My Kit: Source: Foobar through Cambridge Audio Dacmagic Amp: Lehman Audio Blackcube Linear Headphones: Audio Technica ATH W...
Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread. - Page 192
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Are you for real?
The Mjolnir/HD800 pairing exposes a noticeable difference between usb and optical for me. Not sure if it's due to implementation on my late 2011 MBP, or just the differences inherent in the Bifrost's inputs. Usb (Furutech Formula 2 fwiw) has more bite, with a hint of grain and dryness in some recordings. Optical is smoother and more laid-back, clearer despite the less distinct edges giving the overall presentation a slightly smeared quality.
I caught a glimpse of this when I previously had the Lyr between the Bifrost and headphone. The Mjolnir lays it bare. I prefer optical in my system.
OK, so here goes the ol' slippery slope....
I had the same experience with the Furutech. Audioquest Forest (~$30), Carbon (~$110) and Coffee (~$175 - got a deal from the dealer and one for financing on top of it), as well as the Wireworld Starlight (~$90) all sounded considerably better to me, the Audioquests sounding best. I preferred all except the Furutech to optical.
For all those who don't believe in any differences between digital cables, can you kindly just put this down to soft-headedness on my part? Thanks :-)
When you think about it, optical technically has perfected the form of power conditioning. Sending probably the cleanest signal to your dac if you disregard the jitter caused by the transmitter and receivers and reflections.
Due to HDMI I doubt optical audio transmission will progress any further but if it did and they perfected it. I think optical could easily become the best technology. Possibly in the future, that will be how we get video. Optical, laser, whatever. Its a beam of lighted goodness.
Edited by ninjikiran - 8/15/12 at 8:26am
Has anyone compared the Bifrost head to head with the PS Audio DL III? I'm curious how these two would compare, since I own a DL III. Just bought a Lyr a few weeks ago, and I am loving it.
Well then let me think............that gives Schiit one more day to release the Gungnir
Here's your update: we're currently building Gungnir, but it'll be a few more days before we're shipping. People on the pre-order list will be notified when they can place their orders first.
"You can have it right, or you can have it right now."
- Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread.
- › Beyerdynamic T90 :D 2 seconds ago
- › Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread 22 seconds ago
- › How to clean Headphones Velours 44 seconds ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 1 minute ago
- › Do hard drives sound different? 1 minute ago
- › FiiO X1, the first high-res DAP for the young ! 2 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 2 minutes ago
- › FS Only: Fischer Audio FA-011 Dark Wood Cups 2 minutes ago
- › MOE SS-01 3 minutes ago
- › THE DIY HEADPHONE STAND THREAD 3 minutes ago
- › Beats Solo 2.0 On-Ear Headphones (Red) by cb3723
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO Closed Studio Headphones - 250 Ohms by MacroPower
- › Denon Urban Raver In-Ear Headphones, Blue (AH-C100BU) by MrTechAgent
- › Audio Technica ATH-CKN50 by bharathss
- › Audio Technica W5000 by CJ09
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by lofoscopico
- › Philips SHE3680 Headphones, Wired by suman134
- › Philips SHE9850 In-Ear Headphones with Advanced Acoustics by suman134
- › audio-technica AIR Dinamic Headphone ATH-AD2000X (Japan Import) by Quazimoto
- › HiSoundAudio E212 by fleasbaby
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)