- 1,617 Posts. Joined 5/2012
- Location: Fort Collins, CO
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Replacement DAC section for NuForce Icon HDP? Last post on 5/3/13 at 9:39pm in Computer Audio
- M-Audio 2496 sound card, do I need a DAC? Last post on 5/22/14 at 11:35am in Computer Audio
- Noob trying to get good sound Last post on 11/16/12 at 3:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best DAC pairing with the Darkstar Last post on 10/29/12 at 11:26pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Musical Fidelity A3.24 vs. Schiit Bifrost Last post on 10/22/12 at 3:32pm in Dedicated Source Components
DAC OCU(B) 1866 — very interesting portable DAC/amp combo from Russian manufacturer Myst. Things I like: — Nice look. As OCUB is made in small quantities, it uses stock case, but case is fully...
i know you already read the threads full of people talking about how nice is this earphone. i know they're all talking about how cheap and bang for buck it is and which one is the original and...
Note: I'm not sure why, but for whatever reason the little bars at the side aren't matching what I put them to. Audio Quality, Design, and Value I all consider to be top notch, with comfort having...
This is a review of Bowers & Wilkins B&W C5 Series 2 (new 2014 version) in-ear premium headphones with in-line remote....
There aren't many sub-$10 IEMs in the market. With all the recent budget IEMs being priced at around $50, it leaves very little choice for people who are looking for a very cheap IEM. As far as I...
Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread. - Page 192
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Are you for real?
The Mjolnir/HD800 pairing exposes a noticeable difference between usb and optical for me. Not sure if it's due to implementation on my late 2011 MBP, or just the differences inherent in the Bifrost's inputs. Usb (Furutech Formula 2 fwiw) has more bite, with a hint of grain and dryness in some recordings. Optical is smoother and more laid-back, clearer despite the less distinct edges giving the overall presentation a slightly smeared quality.
I caught a glimpse of this when I previously had the Lyr between the Bifrost and headphone. The Mjolnir lays it bare. I prefer optical in my system.
OK, so here goes the ol' slippery slope....
I had the same experience with the Furutech. Audioquest Forest (~$30), Carbon (~$110) and Coffee (~$175 - got a deal from the dealer and one for financing on top of it), as well as the Wireworld Starlight (~$90) all sounded considerably better to me, the Audioquests sounding best. I preferred all except the Furutech to optical.
For all those who don't believe in any differences between digital cables, can you kindly just put this down to soft-headedness on my part? Thanks :-)
When you think about it, optical technically has perfected the form of power conditioning. Sending probably the cleanest signal to your dac if you disregard the jitter caused by the transmitter and receivers and reflections.
Due to HDMI I doubt optical audio transmission will progress any further but if it did and they perfected it. I think optical could easily become the best technology. Possibly in the future, that will be how we get video. Optical, laser, whatever. Its a beam of lighted goodness.
Edited by ninjikiran - 8/15/12 at 8:26am
Has anyone compared the Bifrost head to head with the PS Audio DL III? I'm curious how these two would compare, since I own a DL III. Just bought a Lyr a few weeks ago, and I am loving it.
Well then let me think............that gives Schiit one more day to release the Gungnir
Here's your update: we're currently building Gungnir, but it'll be a few more days before we're shipping. People on the pre-order list will be notified when they can place their orders first.
"You can have it right, or you can have it right now."
- Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread.
- › Audiophile cables, an interesting question. 37 seconds ago
- › ROCK JAW Testers 1 minute ago
- › Speaker placement for a corner desk 2 minutes ago
- › AKG K3003 High End 3 Way System Headphone 2 minutes ago
- › New Member, Need Recommendation for Gaming Headphones 3 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 3 minutes ago
- › Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers 3 minutes ago
- › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** 4 minutes ago
- › How can my computer make a better quality sound? 4 minutes ago
- › Toronto Winter 2014 Meet 4 minutes ago
- › MyST 1866 by cleg
- › Xiaomi Pistons 2.0 MK301 by vaziyetu
- › The Enigma by Levaix
- › Bowers & Wilkins C5 S2 In-Ear Headphones, Black by twister6
- › MEElectronics M9-BK Hi-Fi Sound-Isolating Earphones (Black) by lin0003
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by twister6
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by Michaelc136
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by Kamakahah
- › Comply Custom Wraps by ClieOS
- › Bowers & Wilkins P5 Mobile Headphones by twister6
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)