- 1,648 Posts. Joined 5/2012
- Location: Loveland, CO
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Replacement DAC section for NuForce Icon HDP? Last post on 5/3/13 at 9:39pm in Computer Audio
- M-Audio 2496 sound card, do I need a DAC? Last post on 5/22/14 at 11:35am in Computer Audio
- Noob trying to get good sound Last post on 11/16/12 at 3:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best DAC pairing with the Darkstar Last post on 12/23/16 at 8:27pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Musical Fidelity A3.24 vs. Schiit Bifrost Last post on 10/22/12 at 3:32pm in Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
Last edited: 12/16/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
RHA CL750 – initial impressions Reid Heath Audio are a Scotland-based manufacturer who will be familiar to iFans, with their T10i and T20i all-metal IEMs being prominently displayed in...
Website: LINK Product page: LINK Price: $50 + Shipping The package… The cable arrives in a small cardboard box and just the cable well wrapped inside. Nothing...
The new Crusher wireless from Skullcandy is a great improvement on the old Skullcrushers. The most noticeable improvement is NO EXTERNAL BATTERIES which is very important because a person can spend...
I have been using this for over a year now and use it nearly daily. Extremely versatile component can be used not only for mobile play, but also line out to my receiver (don't yet have funds for...
I purchased these headphones based on reviews, specifications, and looks and I am not disappointed in the least. The initial comfort for the headphones was good, but it took some adjusting to stop...
Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread. - Page 192post #2866 of 33368/10/12 at 7:11pmQuote:
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2867 of 33368/10/12 at 7:14pmpost #2868 of 33368/10/12 at 8:22pmQuote:
Are you for real?post #2869 of 33368/11/12 at 6:15amQuote:http://www.head-fi.org/t/603218/schiit-mjolnir-headphone-amplifierpost #2870 of 33368/13/12 at 9:59am
Quote:Originally Posted by olor1n
The Mjolnir/HD800 pairing exposes a noticeable difference between usb and optical for me. Not sure if it's due to implementation on my late 2011 MBP, or just the differences inherent in the Bifrost's inputs. Usb (Furutech Formula 2 fwiw) has more bite, with a hint of grain and dryness in some recordings. Optical is smoother and more laid-back, clearer despite the less distinct edges giving the overall presentation a slightly smeared quality.
I caught a glimpse of this when I previously had the Lyr between the Bifrost and headphone. The Mjolnir lays it bare. I prefer optical in my system.
OK, so here goes the ol' slippery slope....
I had the same experience with the Furutech. Audioquest Forest (~$30), Carbon (~$110) and Coffee (~$175 - got a deal from the dealer and one for financing on top of it), as well as the Wireworld Starlight (~$90) all sounded considerably better to me, the Audioquests sounding best. I preferred all except the Furutech to optical.
For all those who don't believe in any differences between digital cables, can you kindly just put this down to soft-headedness on my part? Thanks :-)post #2871 of 33368/15/12 at 8:22am
When you think about it, optical technically has perfected the form of power conditioning. Sending probably the cleanest signal to your dac if you disregard the jitter caused by the transmitter and receivers and reflections.
Due to HDMI I doubt optical audio transmission will progress any further but if it did and they perfected it. I think optical could easily become the best technology. Possibly in the future, that will be how we get video. Optical, laser, whatever. Its a beam of lighted goodness.
Edited by ninjikiran - 8/15/12 at 8:26ampost #2872 of 33368/16/12 at 6:16pm
Has anyone compared the Bifrost head to head with the PS Audio DL III? I'm curious how these two would compare, since I own a DL III. Just bought a Lyr a few weeks ago, and I am loving it.post #2873 of 33368/30/12 at 12:07ampost #2874 of 33368/30/12 at 1:28ampost #2875 of 33368/30/12 at 3:16ampost #2876 of 33368/30/12 at 4:23amQuote:
Well then let me think............that gives Schiit one more day to release the Gungnirpost #2877 of 33368/30/12 at 7:33am
Here's your update: we're currently building Gungnir, but it'll be a few more days before we're shipping. People on the pre-order list will be notified when they can place their orders first.
"You can have it right, or you can have it right now."post #2878 of 33368/30/12 at 9:10ampost #2879 of 33368/30/12 at 9:12ampost #2880 of 33368/30/12 at 10:01am
- Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread.
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
- › Schiit Mani 25 seconds ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 34 seconds ago
- › JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread 57 seconds ago
- › Elekit TU-8200 DX Headphone/Speaker Amp Review 1 minute ago
- › Topping D30 DSD DAC XMOS/CS4398 1 minute ago
- › CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE 2 minutes ago
- › Chord Mojo DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆ 2 minutes ago
- › Trinity Audio Engineering - What the future holds 2 minutes ago
- › Which is better: Sennheiser HD800S or Ether Flow? 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser x Massdrop HD6XX Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV 2 minutes ago
- › RHA CL750 by Jackpot77
- › MEE audio - MMCX SILVER-PLATED CABLE by Zelda
- › Skullcandy Crusher Wireless Bluetooth Over-Ear Headphone with Mic -... by fusiondragon
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by mokler
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by mokler
- › Noble Audio Encore Universal flagship in-ear monitor by WCDchee
- › Noble Audio Kaiser Encore by Saraguie
- › Hifiman EF2A Usb Headphone Amplifier by td2004
- › Blue Ever Blue Model 1001 by B9Scrambler
- › Brainwavz B150 by dnun8086
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear