- 1,617 Posts. Joined 5/2012
- Location: Fort Collins, CO
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Replacement DAC section for NuForce Icon HDP? Last post on 5/3/13 at 9:39pm in Computer Audio
- M-Audio 2496 sound card, do I need a DAC? Last post on 5/22/14 at 11:35am in Computer Audio
- Noob trying to get good sound Last post on 11/16/12 at 3:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best DAC pairing with the Darkstar Last post on 10/29/12 at 11:26pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Musical Fidelity A3.24 vs. Schiit Bifrost Last post on 10/22/12 at 3:32pm in Dedicated Source Components
The new iteration of the Brainwavz R3 is an intriguing earphone. They’re large earphones, each side containing two dynamic drivers in big pill shaped aluminium housings. They currently retail for...
INTRODUCTION First of all, a big THANK YOU to Michael Lin from FIDUE for providing the review unit. It is much appreciated, and my humble ears are feeling so incredibly honoured to be...
iBasso D-Zero MKII Review iBasso is a very common name out there on the forums now, with their DX50 and DX90 gaining a rather large user base. I have reviewed both the DX50 and DX90 and I found...
These headphones generally are excellent. They possess this remarkable mixture of openness and intimacy at the same time. There’s a true sense of soundstage, with a good width and depth and still...
Brainwavz S0 Quick Review Thanks to mp4nation for the sample. Full Review here http://www.head-fi.org/t/743834/brainwavz-s0-review-by-mark2410 Brief: The S5 has a baby...
Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread. - Page 192
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Are you for real?
The Mjolnir/HD800 pairing exposes a noticeable difference between usb and optical for me. Not sure if it's due to implementation on my late 2011 MBP, or just the differences inherent in the Bifrost's inputs. Usb (Furutech Formula 2 fwiw) has more bite, with a hint of grain and dryness in some recordings. Optical is smoother and more laid-back, clearer despite the less distinct edges giving the overall presentation a slightly smeared quality.
I caught a glimpse of this when I previously had the Lyr between the Bifrost and headphone. The Mjolnir lays it bare. I prefer optical in my system.
OK, so here goes the ol' slippery slope....
I had the same experience with the Furutech. Audioquest Forest (~$30), Carbon (~$110) and Coffee (~$175 - got a deal from the dealer and one for financing on top of it), as well as the Wireworld Starlight (~$90) all sounded considerably better to me, the Audioquests sounding best. I preferred all except the Furutech to optical.
For all those who don't believe in any differences between digital cables, can you kindly just put this down to soft-headedness on my part? Thanks :-)
When you think about it, optical technically has perfected the form of power conditioning. Sending probably the cleanest signal to your dac if you disregard the jitter caused by the transmitter and receivers and reflections.
Due to HDMI I doubt optical audio transmission will progress any further but if it did and they perfected it. I think optical could easily become the best technology. Possibly in the future, that will be how we get video. Optical, laser, whatever. Its a beam of lighted goodness.
Edited by ninjikiran - 8/15/12 at 8:26am
Has anyone compared the Bifrost head to head with the PS Audio DL III? I'm curious how these two would compare, since I own a DL III. Just bought a Lyr a few weeks ago, and I am loving it.
Well then let me think............that gives Schiit one more day to release the Gungnir
Here's your update: we're currently building Gungnir, but it'll be a few more days before we're shipping. People on the pre-order list will be notified when they can place their orders first.
"You can have it right, or you can have it right now."
- Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread.
- › NEW! SONY NWZ-A10 Series Walkman. Micro SD Card Slot! 4 seconds ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 49 seconds ago
- › FS: Sennheiser HD 800 brand new in the box sealed..... 1 minute ago
- › Philips Fidelio X2?! 1 minute ago
- › Need help to test the 20,000 sound tracks music library firmware... 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Grado e Series 4 minutes ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 10/15/2014:... 4 minutes ago
- › Best classical recordings...ever! 5 minutes ago
- › Chord Hugo 5 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by lecky
- › FIDUE A71 Dual Dynamic Drivers Hi-Fi Earphones by djvkool
- › iBasso Audio D-Zero MK2 by lin0003
- › Audio Technica ATH-A900X | Art Monitor Headphones (Japan Import) by Mink
- › Brainwavz S0 In-Ear Headphones by mark2410
- › Creative Sound Blaster E3 Headphone Amplifier by ClieOS
- › Blue Microphones Mo-Fi Powered High-Fidelity Headphones with... by MacedonianHero
- › Basic K3 by nino9
- › Cowon iAUDIO 7 16Gb by Climber
- › Audio-Technica ATH-AD700X Audiophile Open-Air Headphones by TheHeadPhoneGuy
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)