- 1,617 Posts. Joined 5/2012
- Location: Fort Collins, CO
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Replacement DAC section for NuForce Icon HDP? Last post on 5/3/13 at 9:39pm in Computer Audio
- M-Audio 2496 sound card, do I need a DAC? Last post on 5/22/14 at 11:35am in Computer Audio
- Noob trying to get good sound Last post on 11/16/12 at 3:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best DAC pairing with the Darkstar Last post on 10/29/12 at 11:26pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Musical Fidelity A3.24 vs. Schiit Bifrost Last post on 10/22/12 at 3:32pm in Dedicated Source Components
Switching from desktop audio system to the dap system is a painful experience if you have a seriously monitoring taste for any music and get used to top-notch headphones system like hd800+ ecba...
Presentation That's a lovely box it comes in. I'm not being snarky at all; it really is nice. Totally for presentation though, not for transport/portability. Construction The...
For larger views of any of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual images The formula above in the title simply refers to Sound Quality + Build Quality + Perceived Value. ...
So I've had this thing for a bit now... first one to ship into the wild and arrive at its home. I'd say I'm pretty confident I know what this thing sounds like. The interface is classic...
Let's keep this short. There are better headphones out there without any cons. The Grado RS1i can get shouty at times or give a bit of weird bass. The comfort isn't great either although I changed...
Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread. - Page 192
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Are you for real?
The Mjolnir/HD800 pairing exposes a noticeable difference between usb and optical for me. Not sure if it's due to implementation on my late 2011 MBP, or just the differences inherent in the Bifrost's inputs. Usb (Furutech Formula 2 fwiw) has more bite, with a hint of grain and dryness in some recordings. Optical is smoother and more laid-back, clearer despite the less distinct edges giving the overall presentation a slightly smeared quality.
I caught a glimpse of this when I previously had the Lyr between the Bifrost and headphone. The Mjolnir lays it bare. I prefer optical in my system.
OK, so here goes the ol' slippery slope....
I had the same experience with the Furutech. Audioquest Forest (~$30), Carbon (~$110) and Coffee (~$175 - got a deal from the dealer and one for financing on top of it), as well as the Wireworld Starlight (~$90) all sounded considerably better to me, the Audioquests sounding best. I preferred all except the Furutech to optical.
For all those who don't believe in any differences between digital cables, can you kindly just put this down to soft-headedness on my part? Thanks :-)
When you think about it, optical technically has perfected the form of power conditioning. Sending probably the cleanest signal to your dac if you disregard the jitter caused by the transmitter and receivers and reflections.
Due to HDMI I doubt optical audio transmission will progress any further but if it did and they perfected it. I think optical could easily become the best technology. Possibly in the future, that will be how we get video. Optical, laser, whatever. Its a beam of lighted goodness.
Edited by ninjikiran - 8/15/12 at 8:26am
Has anyone compared the Bifrost head to head with the PS Audio DL III? I'm curious how these two would compare, since I own a DL III. Just bought a Lyr a few weeks ago, and I am loving it.
Well then let me think............that gives Schiit one more day to release the Gungnir
Here's your update: we're currently building Gungnir, but it'll be a few more days before we're shipping. People on the pre-order list will be notified when they can place their orders first.
"You can have it right, or you can have it right now."
- Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread.
- › Music Game IX 24 seconds ago
- › How do I rip the best quality files for my Dap 1 minute ago
- › FiiO E12DIY Limited Edition Version---DIY your own sound ! 1 minute ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 2 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 2 minutes ago
- › [AUS] *LIKE NEW* ORTOFON E-Q5 Black (PRICE REDUCED!) 2 minutes ago
- › Double Helix Cables Appreciation Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Would a Meier Corda Prehead MK2 SE drive a HE-6? 4 minutes ago
- › New York Audio Show 2014 ***Now With Discounted Tickets Info*** 6 minutes ago
- › Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers 7 minutes ago
- › Aune M1 Hi-Fi Wav Player by wtnwin111
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by Armaegis
- › Fidue A83 Reference Class Triple Hybrid IEM by Brooko
- › Audio-gd NFB29 by kvtaco17
- › Grado RS1i Reference Series Headphones by Textfeud
- › Shure SRH 440 Professional Studio Headphones by donniefalcone
- › Denon AH-D7100 Music Maniac by lizhenghong728
- › Cypher Labs Theorem 720 DAC Headphone Amplifier by cripple1
- › iBasso DX90 Portable Digital Audio Player by marhol
- › ASUS Vulcan ANC Circumaural Pro Gaming Headset by robthebiggerman
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)