Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread. - Page 166

post #2476 of 3320
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrumpyOldMan View Post

...Or simply disconnect the cable if you're not listening to music anyway...



....Or simply isolate seperate the outputs on your computer - one for your music player, one for everything else (windows sounds, games, internet, etc..)?

post #2477 of 3320

On a Mac, if using optical out, all audio routes through the optical out.  You can't redirect system sounds to the internal speakers and then for example, iTunes to the optical out.  Though you could plug in a separate USB DAC and then route system sounds to it (with some amp/external speaker combo), and dedicate Bifrost optical to music only. 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anathallo View Post



....Or simply isolate seperate the outputs on your computer - one for your music player, one for everything else (windows sounds, games, internet, etc..)?



 

post #2478 of 3320

I have a question, if I buy the Bitfrost used, would i still be able to ask Schiit to add the USB support?

and lastly, it seems like no one wants to sell any Bitfrosts cause I can't find any of them used! So if you're in the market of selling that, I don't mind stealing it off you if its a good deal haha

post #2479 of 3320
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleDappleman View Post

I have a question, if I buy the Bitfrost used, would i still be able to ask Schiit to add the USB support?

and lastly, it seems like no one wants to sell any Bitfrosts cause I can't find any of them used! So if you're in the market of selling that, I don't mind stealing it off you if its a good deal haha

I'd be really surprised if Schitt would'nt upgrade their product for you. I guess you can't find one used because people buy them and like them.cool.gif
post #2480 of 3320
Quote:
Originally Posted by hp300plus View Post

On a Mac, if using optical out, all audio routes through the optical out.  You can't redirect system sounds to the internal speakers and then for example, iTunes to the optical out.  Though you could plug in a separate USB DAC and then route system sounds to it (with some amp/external speaker combo), and dedicate Bifrost optical to music only. 

 

 



 


Ok, this is going to probably be a dumb question but here goes.

 

Right now, I have the Bifrost/Lyr combo running off my iMac via Optical. Then I have my Apogee Duet 2 running off USB and this runs my powered speakers. There is no way the Lyr is going to run the speakers, right?

 

post #2481 of 3320

When the statement DAC comes out, I'll likely be selling mine, and I wouldn't be surprised if there turned out to be a decent number of Bifrost owners willing to do the same.

post #2482 of 3320
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleDappleman View Post

I have a question, if I buy the Bitfrost used, would i still be able to ask Schiit to add the USB support?


It's an upgradeable, modular piece.  That was the intent.

 

post #2483 of 3320

 

Well, the Lyr does have RCA outputs that you could simply connect to your powered speakers and use the Lyr as both a headphone amp and 'pre-amp' (with it's own volume control) for your powered speakers.  With your Bifrost continuing to feed the Lyr, in this configuration, you'd simply not use the Apogee anymore as Lyr serves both headphone and pre-amp functions. 

 

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by powerpopper View Post


Ok, this is going to probably be a dumb question but here goes.

 

Right now, I have the Bifrost/Lyr combo running off my iMac via Optical. Then I have my Apogee Duet 2 running off USB and this runs my powered speakers. There is no way the Lyr is going to run the speakers, right?

 



 

post #2484 of 3320

Ditto.


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by judmarc View Post

When the statement DAC comes out, I'll likely be selling mine, and I wouldn't be surprised if there turned out to be a decent number of Bifrost owners willing to do the same.



 

post #2485 of 3320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaxilus View Post


It's an upgradeable, modular piece.  That was the intent.

 



Found out they just raised the price of the USB support to $150 instead of $100. Still a really good deal either way considering the price. 

Now instead of any idea buying brand new for $500, i'm going to see if I can find a used one for a lot cheaper haha. Hopefully that statement DAC doesn't come out for a while cause I need to save money for the lyr also haha

post #2486 of 3320
Quote:
Originally Posted by hp300plus View Post

 

Well, the Lyr does have RCA outputs that you could simply connect to your powered speakers and use the Lyr as both a headphone amp and 'pre-amp' (with it's own volume control) for your powered speakers.  With your Bifrost continuing to feed the Lyr, in this configuration, you'd simply not use the Apogee anymore as Lyr serves both headphone and pre-amp functions. 

 

 



 


Thank you. Just tried that and it works great. Now the only problem is when I need to listen late night with no speakers I have to unplug every time. So close but yet so far away...

 

post #2487 of 3320
I am sure that there will be some bifrosts for sale at the release of the intermediate dac too.
post #2488 of 3320
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by grokit View Post

It's too bad that people using search engines to find information about the Bifrost won't find this thread, perhaps the OP should change or add Bifrost to the title of it.



Done.

post #2489 of 3320

Yes, I'll also likely sell my Bifrost when the statement DAC comes out.

 

As to the clicking/static issues; My Bifrost clicks only when I turn it off and on. It's a fairly loud click and can be heard even if headphones are not connected. I don't let it bother me as I assume it's just the parts turning on...  Early on I experienced this static issue. (Mac using Clementine or iTunes running via generic USB cable) My static issue would come on in the middle of a track and continue even if I changed tracks for maybe 15-20 seconds and go away. It was incredibly frustrating but it has since subsided. I found that when the static was occurring that if I shifted my USB cord on my iMac that it would disappear. I believe the static I was experiencing to have been related to the placement of the USB cord as it has not occurred in several weeks now since I've last adjusted the USB cable. Regardless, I am now awaiting my siliflex optical cable so that I can run without the need for some super cheap usb cord.

 

Anyways, that's my $.02. For now, I'm very satisfied with the performance of my Bifrost and I await the launch of the statement DAC. (Though my wallet certainly does not. :P)

post #2490 of 3320
Originally Posted by powerpopper View Post
Now the only problem is when I need to listen late night with no speakers I have to unplug every time.

 

Why unplug? Why not use your speakers power switch instead?

 

I use a Schiit Lyr in a similar setup both as a headphone amplifier and a pre-amp. When I don’t need the loudspeakers, I simply do not turn them on, but leave them connected to the Lyr’s RCA output all the time.

 

By the way: Did you encounter any hum caused by the Lyr? In my setup I had to add a noise filter.

 

Werner.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread.