My Valhalla is quite the burner too. After a few hours, that thing is blazing. I'm surprised that the innards haven't been fried to bits yet. still planning on placing my Valhalla on top of the Bifrsot however since everybody says that it is fine.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Replacement DAC section for NuForce Icon HDP? Last post on 5/3/13 at 9:39pm in Computer Audio
- M-Audio 2496 sound card, do I need a DAC? Last post on 1/5/13 at 11:53pm in Computer Audio
- Noob trying to get good sound Last post on 11/16/12 at 3:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best DAC pairing with the Darkstar Last post on 10/29/12 at 11:26pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Musical Fidelity A3.24 vs. Schiit Bifrost Last post on 10/22/12 at 3:32pm in Dedicated Source Components
Upon initial listening with these buds, I was rather unimpressed as I heard the rather familiar bloated mid-bass, sharp highs, and lack of mids that SKDY's old line carried. Then I realized that...
The VSD1 is the latest in a rather long line of budget in ear monitors including the VC02, GR99, GR02 and others that promises high quality sound for around $50 or so. While I haven’t had...
I tried a few Grado's —didn't like the Grado house sound—, a few Senn's —HD650 left a good impression—, a few lower-end AT's —I thought the AD700 were impressive for the price— and after reading...
In my recent quest for a new set of cans, I took a slight detour into the land of flashy prosumer headphones, in the form of the HK CL. The only reason I tried a pair was the price: half off,...
The Creative Aurvana Live! solved a major problem for me—how to listen to good audio while walking the dog at night. I live near a commercial and bar district in Center City, Philadelphia and I'm...
Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread. - Page 120
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I'd like both at the same time please.
I'm dac-less (lol) at the moment, so I'd prefer that to drop first. It's a daily struggle for me to not pull the trigger on something like a DacMagic Plus knowing the Schiit on the horizon.
I'll have to agree on that. It always seems to me like the Schiit stuff is always the most anticipated stuff since most everything they make sounds so amazingly well engineered for the price you pay on top of the performance you get. My own Valhalla with the HD650's is a excellent example of that.
I upgaded my Bifrost internal fuse to an AMR Gold Fuse. A fellow enthusiast told me he was shocked at the improvement an audiophile fuse did for his EE Minimax DAC. I was interested enough and purchased some from AMR, a British manufacturer of high end audio components who also make their own fuses. You get 3 in a pack of your chosen values, works out much cheaper than Furutech ones.
So what was the verdict? Hell yes an improvement in every aspect. But I also upgraded the fuse in my Cambridge Audio player, which could be a contributor to the overall improvement. I am now convinced that fuses must be a limiting factor in the power supply of equipment. It makes me wonder how much better it will get by jumping the fuse directly with hookup wire. (No need to tell me how dangerous this is, but when was the last time you had to change blown fuses in your DAC or Optical disc player? I am not suggesting do this with an amp....)
So while I had the case off I took some detailed internal pics as posted above. Modders go to town!! Interesting to note the AKM Dac chip is actually contained on the analog output board. The motherboard is purely that.......an interface motherboard.
Edited by agisthos - 12/4/11 at 1:20am
For once I can look forward to checking out the next Schiit release rather than the usual anxious and impatient wait. I am really enjoying my Bifrost Lyr combo so much so that the wait for the statement gear release should be well controlled.
Pretty soon though I will have to start planning the configuration for the amp and DAC. The new Schiit should really wake up my HE6. Must stop thinking Schiit. Getting excited again.
I got them from here
Furutech and Hi-fi tuning do a few different ranges of fuses, but they usually cost $30 each up to $60 each for the Hi-Fi tuning black supreme. The Bifrost uses a 0.5A 5mm x 20mm slo blow. It is a tweak well worth doing but you will void your warranty.
Hmm. Warranty versus sound quality. Hmm. I may have to enquiry about those fuses for the statement amp and DAC. I doubt that Jason would want to disrupt production to put in fuses but he may consider offering them as options since there will be other options too.
What do you think Jason?
A couple of quick answers:
1. Balanced amp and DAC--we're trying for a simultaneous release, but we'll probably be announcing in January, no earlier. If one comes first, it's the DAC. The DAC will be worth waiting for, especially if you're looking for a balanced-output piece. We're going to have at least one big surprise in store for you. Remember, all products from now on are "one and only" products--we won't release them unless they are unique in one or more meaningful ways. And yes, we know the definition of "unique."
2. Fuses and other "special part" options--nope, we build them one way, and one way only. I've said it before, if you want to double the price, there's no better way than having a zillion variations on a product. It also makes service really, ahem, *interesting.*
All the best,
- Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread.
- › King Sound Emperor: New Electrostatic Headphones! 46 seconds ago
- › The Astell & Kern AK120 1 minute ago
- › IC: Montreal, Quebec Meet!!! 3 minutes ago
- › Knob gone completely lose on my B22, how do I fix it? 3 minutes ago
- › The diary entries of a little girl who is now 30! ~ Part 2 5 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 5 minutes ago
- › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) please post your impressions.... 6 minutes ago
- › The discovery thread.! NEW Philips Fidelio S2. Shockingly amazing... 6 minutes ago
- › The Beyerdynamic DT250 Appreciation Thread 7 minutes ago
- › KEF new headphones! 8 minutes ago
- › Rockit Sounds R-50 by danikus
- › Skullcandy S2SYDA-008 Merge Earbud Headphones - Black/Chrome by KodaO
- › VSONIC VSD1 by TheGame21x
- › Audio Technica W5000 by the wizard of oz
- › Harmon Kardon Classic On-Ear Headphones by imagic
- › Creative Aurvana Live! Headphones by imagic
- › JBL J33 Premium In-Ear Headphones - Black by Aakash
- › Hisoundaudio Wooduo 2 by iern
- › Apple iPod classic 160 GB Silver (7th Generation) NEWEST MODEL by jensy
- › Sony MDR-V55/BR DJ style Headphones by dietcoke2am
- › Syncing music and making playlists work with... by Currawong
- › Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes by miceblue
- › STAX SR-007 (Omega II) ... A Review After 4... by Currawong
- › List of lossless and high-res music (FLAC,... by ffivaz
- › Beware of the following scams and people... by Currawong
- › Sennheiser 449 Mod Possibly 4 8 Mod by hernan604
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Computer Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable... by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Desktop Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Headphone... by joe