My Valhalla is quite the burner too. After a few hours, that thing is blazing. I'm surprised that the innards haven't been fried to bits yet. still planning on placing my Valhalla on top of the Bifrsot however since everybody says that it is fine.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Replacement DAC section for NuForce Icon HDP? Last post on 5/3/13 at 9:39pm in Computer Audio
- M-Audio 2496 sound card, do I need a DAC? Last post on 1/5/13 at 11:53pm in Computer Audio
- Noob trying to get good sound Last post on 11/16/12 at 3:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best DAC pairing with the Darkstar Last post on 10/29/12 at 11:26pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Musical Fidelity A3.24 vs. Schiit Bifrost Last post on 10/22/12 at 3:32pm in Dedicated Source Components
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 1/22/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)Last edited: 7/26/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Computer Audio)Last edited: 12/10/13
Accessories: Includes a pouch and cable. Pouch is well-built, compact, and stylish. Soft, flexible cable has never tangled for me in my time with it. Right angled jack is durable and well-relieved....
First off, I would like to thank Noisehush for sending me the NX85's! I'll get into the review now. Packaging: The NX85 come in a sturdy black card board box. It is all black, except the...
The LH Labs Geek Out had a lot to live up to. A good 7+ months ago, the Geek Out started as a concept. This concept was to bring a high quality audio experience into a small and affordable device....
If you like electric music or hip hop rap,this is it,but if you want a more balanced sound you better go for the sennheiser momentum or ue6000.
I am mainly using the Meridian Explorer on the road, from laptop. Setup is painless on Mac and Linux. Note that on Linux, it is worth checking the gain settings in alsamixer (only once is...
Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread. - Page 120post #1786 of 332012/3/11 at 8:58pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #1787 of 332012/4/11 at 12:03ampost #1788 of 332012/4/11 at 12:18am
I'd like both at the same time please.post #1789 of 332012/4/11 at 12:20am
I'm dac-less (lol) at the moment, so I'd prefer that to drop first. It's a daily struggle for me to not pull the trigger on something like a DacMagic Plus knowing the Schiit on the horizon.post #1790 of 332012/4/11 at 12:28am
I'll have to agree on that. It always seems to me like the Schiit stuff is always the most anticipated stuff since most everything they make sounds so amazingly well engineered for the price you pay on top of the performance you get. My own Valhalla with the HD650's is a excellent example of that.post #1791 of 332012/4/11 at 1:07ampost #1792 of 332012/4/11 at 1:19am
I upgaded my Bifrost internal fuse to an AMR Gold Fuse. A fellow enthusiast told me he was shocked at the improvement an audiophile fuse did for his EE Minimax DAC. I was interested enough and purchased some from AMR, a British manufacturer of high end audio components who also make their own fuses. You get 3 in a pack of your chosen values, works out much cheaper than Furutech ones.
So what was the verdict? Hell yes an improvement in every aspect. But I also upgraded the fuse in my Cambridge Audio player, which could be a contributor to the overall improvement. I am now convinced that fuses must be a limiting factor in the power supply of equipment. It makes me wonder how much better it will get by jumping the fuse directly with hookup wire. (No need to tell me how dangerous this is, but when was the last time you had to change blown fuses in your DAC or Optical disc player? I am not suggesting do this with an amp....)
So while I had the case off I took some detailed internal pics as posted above. Modders go to town!! Interesting to note the AKM Dac chip is actually contained on the analog output board. The motherboard is purely that.......an interface motherboard.
Edited by agisthos - 12/4/11 at 1:20ampost #1793 of 332012/4/11 at 1:24am
For once I can look forward to checking out the next Schiit release rather than the usual anxious and impatient wait. I am really enjoying my Bifrost Lyr combo so much so that the wait for the statement gear release should be well controlled.
Pretty soon though I will have to start planning the configuration for the amp and DAC. The new Schiit should really wake up my HE6. Must stop thinking Schiit. Getting excited again.post #1794 of 332012/4/11 at 1:27ampost #1795 of 332012/4/11 at 1:46am
I got them from here
Furutech and Hi-fi tuning do a few different ranges of fuses, but they usually cost $30 each up to $60 each for the Hi-Fi tuning black supreme. The Bifrost uses a 0.5A 5mm x 20mm slo blow. It is a tweak well worth doing but you will void your warranty.post #1796 of 332012/4/11 at 2:10ampost #1797 of 332012/4/11 at 2:36ampost #1798 of 332012/4/11 at 3:20am
Hmm. Warranty versus sound quality. Hmm. I may have to enquiry about those fuses for the statement amp and DAC. I doubt that Jason would want to disrupt production to put in fuses but he may consider offering them as options since there will be other options too.
What do you think Jason?post #1799 of 332012/4/11 at 6:19ampost #1800 of 332012/4/11 at 7:21am
A couple of quick answers:
1. Balanced amp and DAC--we're trying for a simultaneous release, but we'll probably be announcing in January, no earlier. If one comes first, it's the DAC. The DAC will be worth waiting for, especially if you're looking for a balanced-output piece. We're going to have at least one big surprise in store for you. Remember, all products from now on are "one and only" products--we won't release them unless they are unique in one or more meaningful ways. And yes, we know the definition of "unique."
2. Fuses and other "special part" options--nope, we build them one way, and one way only. I've said it before, if you want to double the price, there's no better way than having a zillion variations on a product. It also makes service really, ahem, *interesting.*
All the best,
- Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread.
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
- › New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne" 40 seconds ago
- › Official/ New York Spring Meet Sat April 5 2014 - Impressions Thread 45 seconds ago
- › Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers 1 minute ago
- › Audiophiles in Dubai? 2 minutes ago
- › DAP-off: Astell&Kern AK240, HiFiMAN HM-901, Sony ZX-1, FiiO X5 2 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 2 minutes ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 3 minutes ago
- › Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Icon Audio HP8 MKII 3 minutes ago
- › AKG K240 Monitor with Hifiman velour pads 5 minutes ago
- › Ultimate Ears UE4000 Headphones by gopats1479
- › NoiseHush NX85 Stereo 3.5mm Headset with Mic - Retail Packaging -... by Mathewsa
- › LHLabs Geek Out by bhazard
- › Monster Inspiration by betterthan1122
- › Meridian Explorer by zolkis
- › Beyerdynamic T51P Tesla Headphone - Silver by twister6
- › FiiO E17 by zach8278
- › T-Peos H-300 - 3 Way Hybrid by White Lotus
- › Beats Studio Over-Ear Headphone (Black) - NEW by 2001Audiophile
- › Intopic Jazz i57 IEM by Pastapipo
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude