My Valhalla is quite the burner too. After a few hours, that thing is blazing. I'm surprised that the innards haven't been fried to bits yet. still planning on placing my Valhalla on top of the Bifrsot however since everybody says that it is fine.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Replacement DAC section for NuForce Icon HDP? Last post on 5/3/13 at 9:39pm in Computer Audio
- M-Audio 2496 sound card, do I need a DAC? Last post on 5/22/14 at 11:35am in Computer Audio
- Noob trying to get good sound Last post on 11/16/12 at 3:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best DAC pairing with the Darkstar Last post on 10/29/12 at 11:26pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Musical Fidelity A3.24 vs. Schiit Bifrost Last post on 10/22/12 at 3:32pm in Dedicated Source Components
Introduction This is a review of the Sennheirser HD 202 headphone. At the time of the review, the cans were at eleven months of near-continuous use. Bear with me, as this is only my second...
The Sony MDR-EX1000 is truly a legendary IEM but in a world of its own. Not even the latest XBA, or XBA hybrid Z series could rival its intimidating large single-dynamic driver setup. (my EX1000...
I had the opportunity to listen to this at length against some other similar priced gears. After pairing my device, it magically struck me WOW! As I tried a number of music tracks , it...
I managed to try this MDR-Ma900 against others in the same shop. The comfort and ergonomics of this Sony are very good. Initially, I was pleasantly surprised how nice it sounded. But...
I tried this twice with different devices. It sounds pretty good with big bass sounds and probably suit a lot of youngsters today. Many very young people that I know prefer Beats or something...
Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread. - Page 120
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I'd like both at the same time please.
I'm dac-less (lol) at the moment, so I'd prefer that to drop first. It's a daily struggle for me to not pull the trigger on something like a DacMagic Plus knowing the Schiit on the horizon.
I'll have to agree on that. It always seems to me like the Schiit stuff is always the most anticipated stuff since most everything they make sounds so amazingly well engineered for the price you pay on top of the performance you get. My own Valhalla with the HD650's is a excellent example of that.
I upgaded my Bifrost internal fuse to an AMR Gold Fuse. A fellow enthusiast told me he was shocked at the improvement an audiophile fuse did for his EE Minimax DAC. I was interested enough and purchased some from AMR, a British manufacturer of high end audio components who also make their own fuses. You get 3 in a pack of your chosen values, works out much cheaper than Furutech ones.
So what was the verdict? Hell yes an improvement in every aspect. But I also upgraded the fuse in my Cambridge Audio player, which could be a contributor to the overall improvement. I am now convinced that fuses must be a limiting factor in the power supply of equipment. It makes me wonder how much better it will get by jumping the fuse directly with hookup wire. (No need to tell me how dangerous this is, but when was the last time you had to change blown fuses in your DAC or Optical disc player? I am not suggesting do this with an amp....)
So while I had the case off I took some detailed internal pics as posted above. Modders go to town!! Interesting to note the AKM Dac chip is actually contained on the analog output board. The motherboard is purely that.......an interface motherboard.
Edited by agisthos - 12/4/11 at 1:20am
For once I can look forward to checking out the next Schiit release rather than the usual anxious and impatient wait. I am really enjoying my Bifrost Lyr combo so much so that the wait for the statement gear release should be well controlled.
Pretty soon though I will have to start planning the configuration for the amp and DAC. The new Schiit should really wake up my HE6. Must stop thinking Schiit. Getting excited again.
I got them from here
Furutech and Hi-fi tuning do a few different ranges of fuses, but they usually cost $30 each up to $60 each for the Hi-Fi tuning black supreme. The Bifrost uses a 0.5A 5mm x 20mm slo blow. It is a tweak well worth doing but you will void your warranty.
Hmm. Warranty versus sound quality. Hmm. I may have to enquiry about those fuses for the statement amp and DAC. I doubt that Jason would want to disrupt production to put in fuses but he may consider offering them as options since there will be other options too.
What do you think Jason?
A couple of quick answers:
1. Balanced amp and DAC--we're trying for a simultaneous release, but we'll probably be announcing in January, no earlier. If one comes first, it's the DAC. The DAC will be worth waiting for, especially if you're looking for a balanced-output piece. We're going to have at least one big surprise in store for you. Remember, all products from now on are "one and only" products--we won't release them unless they are unique in one or more meaningful ways. And yes, we know the definition of "unique."
2. Fuses and other "special part" options--nope, we build them one way, and one way only. I've said it before, if you want to double the price, there's no better way than having a zillion variations on a product. It also makes service really, ahem, *interesting.*
All the best,
- Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread.
- › Uplifting Trance reccomendations 7 seconds ago
- › Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Flagship 7 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 9 seconds ago
- › New Release! The K7XX Massdrop First Edition - an exclusive from... 10 seconds ago
- › Light Harmonic Geek Wave 22 seconds ago
- › HD 595? Boring. What's next? 35 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 and Wireless! 2 minutes ago
- › Shame on Audeze!!! Buyer beware, bigtime. 2 minutes ago
- › First day at the Forum 2 minutes ago
- › Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion 2 minutes ago
- › Bravo Audio Tube Amplifier - V2 by Zeejet
- › Sennheiser HD 202 Headphones by serman005
- › Sony MDR EX1000 by stuartfang
- › Parrot Zik 2.0, the world's most advanced headphones -... by johnKenneth
- › Sony MDR-MA900 Over the Head Style Headphones by johnKenneth
- › Xtreme Xplosives On Ear by johnKenneth
- › Cayin N6 PCM1792A chip DSD lossless music player by twister6
- › Sony XBA-4SL by cuiter23
- › Shure SE215 by cuiter23
- › Soundpeats Qy7 Mini Lightweight Wireless Stereo Sports/running... by ActiveTechREV
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3