77 pages and only a couple useful comments/feedback. It's going to be a looooong couple of weeks...
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Replacement DAC section for NuForce Icon HDP? Last post on 5/3/13 at 9:39pm in Computer Audio
- M-Audio 2496 sound card, do I need a DAC? Last post on 5/22/14 at 11:35am in Computer Audio
- Noob trying to get good sound Last post on 11/16/12 at 3:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best DAC pairing with the Darkstar Last post on 12/23/16 at 8:27pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Musical Fidelity A3.24 vs. Schiit Bifrost Last post on 10/22/12 at 3:32pm in Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
Last edited: 12/16/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
In my self-imposed haughtiness and superiority, I have always told Alfred and Martin that I will be the high-end reviewer for this blog, and that they should be responsible for more budget...
First of all, thank you so much to Ifi-Audio for sending me a black edition to review for free! Really awesome of them to involve the audio community to such a degree. I will keep this review...
I try not to be an extremist and I try to give most products I review a decent amount of hearing before making any judgments on their quality but when a product reaches with a level of quality I...
A great purchase for under 180 pounds, these headphones blow the direct competition away when it comes to almost everything. They arrive in a nice premium package with a thick, high grade cable for...
A reasonably priced pair of premium Open back headphones. They are well made and super comfortable and have a luxurious appearance well suited to home hi fi use. Unlike other hi fidelity phones...
Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread. - Page 78post #1156 of 333610/22/11 at 10:03pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #1157 of 333610/23/11 at 12:35amQuote:
Friend, I have made this same point in several threads - I firmly believe that 'impressions' should be separated from 'anticipation' (or more correctly, speculation ...). but each time I have been shouted down by the usual suspects. In this case, they bought the Asgard, then the Valhalla and finally the Lyr and they will end up with each of the Schiit DACs. I only have one problem with that, and its that each new toy is loudly proclaimed as being so much better than the last. Welcome to Head-Fi - sorry for your sanity.post #1158 of 333610/23/11 at 2:23am
Quote:Originally Posted by estreeter
Friend, I have made this same point in several threads - I firmly believe that 'impressions' should be separated from 'anticipation' (or more correctly, speculation ...). but each time I have been shouted down by the usual suspects. In this case, they bought the Asgard, then the Valhalla and finally the Lyr and they will end up with each of the Schiit DACs. I only have one problem with that, and its that each new toy is loudly proclaimed as being so much better than the last. Welcome to Head-Fi - sorry for your sanity.
Well at least in this case with the Schiit Dacs it will be true. :-)post #1159 of 333610/23/11 at 2:49amThread Starterpost #1160 of 333610/23/11 at 4:43amQuote:
You all may excuse me,
But this thread should be the anticipation thread.
For instance, I've subscribed just because I'm in eager to know something more about the balanced incoming DACs...
Why doesn't anyone open a "Schiit Bifrost DAC: the shipment thread" or a "Schiit Bifrost DAC: unboxing and first impressions" thread????
Because that's what this thread has been gone into since a month, and honestly, I couldn't care less...
Edited by Edoardo - 10/23/11 at 4:45ampost #1161 of 333610/23/11 at 7:25amQuote:
An ultimate bed side device that uses AD797 for $4K US. and they rave about the justification on the AD 797 & initially claimed as a JFET, noticed they have backed of on that claimed after SOME head-Fi gave them a reality check on Project 86 review. AT 4k they could have supplied a better opamp with the ultimate electronics it has on the front end.
I be interested for a posting here if someone did a shootout between an invicta and a Bifrost. both are 32 bit dac, and at least one has jfet in the anolog stage!!!!post #1162 of 333610/23/11 at 3:20pm
Just noticed that the Bifrost page on Schiit's website has now updated to now shipping. I am guessing that the testing and burning in of the USB modules went well?
Great work Jason. You will finally be able to sit back with a beer and take a breather.....post #1163 of 333610/23/11 at 3:55pmQuote:
Yup - all that beer and schmoozing the fans at RMAF can really take it out of a guy !post #1164 of 333610/24/11 at 11:53am
has anyone used a USB version yet against Linux (Ubuntu)?
is there any indicator on the unit as to the sample rate of the source? I want to be able to check my soundcard isn't doing any upsampling before transporting over optical.post #1165 of 333610/24/11 at 12:16pmQuote:
Nopost #1166 of 333610/24/11 at 12:43pmpost #1167 of 333610/24/11 at 1:37pmpost #1168 of 333610/24/11 at 5:46pm
Congrats Vincent....please keep us posted on your thoughts when it arrives.post #1169 of 333610/24/11 at 6:01pm
Bifrost impressions from purrin and Anaxilus from the recent Irvine meet -
Quote:Originally Posted by AnaxilusQuote:Originally Posted by purrin
Quick impressions under meet conditions, but with my headphone and the Super7 (which I am familiar with since Anax has stolen this several times from Craig already.) You may also want to confirm with Anax since he studied the DAC more intensely than me:
- Transients and attacks are a little blunted
- Bass extends decently well, is powerful, but is rounded
- Maybe lacks that last half-octave down low
- Good detail
- Little bit sharp in the treble when volume is turned up.
Overall it's good for the money.
My reference is the PS Audio PerfectWave.
I can second this.
Put simply it is basically neutral. Resolves quite well and better than I was expecting. There is a slight euphonic signature in that it doesn't have that flat digital signature yet there is no treble roll off or bass bloom to muck up and warm everything. It's actually quite interesting and pleasant in it's voicing. I can say I've heard about 3 different AKM DACs and this was the most 'organic' sounding but in a more natural transparent way rather than colored. Just lacks that extra bit of refinement you get from something like the PWD where it might come off a bit grainier when played through very transparent amps. For the money it's definitely a solid piece of kit and recommended. For absolute performance I'd wait for their statement or go another direction.post #1170 of 333610/24/11 at 6:34pmQuote:
Now I'm disappointed. Seems Jason and Mike haven't figured out how to make a $3K DAC for $350/$450.
- Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread.
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
- › Chord Hugo TT High End DAC Amp Impressions Thread just now
- › NEW SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A FLAGSHIP HI-END DAP!!! 1 second ago
- › Philips Fidelio X2?! 38 seconds ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (On or Over Ear Headphones) 49 seconds ago
- › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable... 1 minute ago
- › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone 1 minute ago
- › DX200 Details, features and specifications 1st page. 1-17-2017 Now... 2 minutes ago
- › Bose QC35 Wireless Noise-Cancelling Headphones 3 minutes ago
- › Focal Utopia (& a little Elear) impressions and discussion 3 minutes ago
- › LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread 3 minutes ago
- › qdc Balanced armature type (BA type) 3SH （QDC-4024） by prismstorm
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by bapspidoff
- › Sangdo Headset Mic for Sony MH EX300AP L36H L36I C6603 LT26II LT28H... by Griffith
- › Denon AH-D600 by theminstrel
- › Sennheiser HD 598 by theminstrel
- › Burson Audio Cable+ by markbrauer
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by theminstrel
- › FiiO E17 by theminstrel
- › Sony NWZ-A15 Walkman Video MP3 Player (16GB) - Black by theminstrel
- › AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-MSR7 by theminstrel
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear