Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Solid State that is as powerful as the Schiit Lyr and in the same price range? Last post on 5/22/12 at 2:17am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Should I sell my WA6? Last post on 8/3/11 at 11:46am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Please Don't Kill Me. Need Amp for HiFiMAN HE-6 Prototype. Last post on 4/13/11 at 1:06pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- How do I properly use a Headphone Amp? Last post on 3/10/11 at 12:32pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- [LIST][OPINION] Amp recommendations for Fostex/Denon Headphones. Last post on 7/16/15 at 1:27am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 6/30/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 7/28/15
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Noble BTS Review by HiFiChris Preamble: Before I start with my actual review, I want to thank Noble Audio and especially Brannan Mason for providing me with a sample of the BTS for my...
Head-Fi, Fiio X5 and me I came out of my lurking in January 2014 to join Head-Fi, I was looking for a DAP to replace my Creative Zen X-Fi's whose display had a 'black ink' spreading...
Foreword: I'm a production manager, but focus mostly on sound engineering. I install and tune a lot of P.A equipment, and also mix live acts in : - live venues, - concert halls, - bars, and -...
For me, they are the best ever. Maybe someday i'll listen to something 'better'? Well, we'll see. PD: The Highs can bother some people with their 2k and 8-9k peaks. For me it's fine, but it's...
In terms of design it is good looking and cofortable. Usb is meaningless to me, my laptops built-in sound card is better sounding than that usb. Sounding bad for its price. Still is good for casual...
Schiit Audio Lyr: My First Impressions - Page 5post #61 of 1353/26/11 at 6:50pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #62 of 1353/27/11 at 8:17ampost #63 of 1353/27/11 at 2:25pmpost #64 of 1353/27/11 at 2:28pm
Quote:Originally Posted by jude
If you're wondering what the Lyr's tonal balance is, expect this (at least with these two top-tier planar magnetic headphones, and to my ears): Bass is weighty, solid, well-extended, and well controlled--yet I was left a bit wanting for more detail and texture down low, especially with the LCD-2, and in contrast to my Ray Samuels Audio Apache driving that same headphone balanced (it's worth keeping in mind that the Apache is a $3000.00 headphone amp/preamp). Again, I fully expect experimentation with tube rolling will help here.
Without getting too off-topic, I wonder if I could follow up regarding your experience with the Apache driving the LCD-2. How do you think it does with the LCD-2? Are there other amps which you strongly prefer for the LCD-2? Also, does it have enough power to drive the HE-6?
post #65 of 1353/27/11 at 3:30pm
From my experience yes it does have enough juice to drive the HE-6.
Regarding the LCD-2, it requires a powerful amp to bring out it's true potential. Of all the amps I've heard the LCD-2 paired with, only the WA22 and the upcoming balanced Red Wine amp truly brought it to life. I haven't heard it paired with the Apache though.
Edited by brasewel - 3/27/11 at 3:34pmpost #66 of 1353/28/11 at 10:05ampost #67 of 1353/28/11 at 12:37pmpost #68 of 1353/29/11 at 6:46pm
Considering getting one of these for when I get my LCD-2 (Hopefully soon!) Using a Matrix M-Stage at the moment, I will try it with LCD-2's first and see how it goes. Will the Schiit Lyr be much of an upgrade over the M-Stage?post #69 of 1353/29/11 at 10:04pmQuote:
Uh oh, sorry my bad , wrong schiit
a thread has been devoted to that here
Edited by tunarat - 3/29/11 at 10:06pmpost #70 of 1353/29/11 at 10:47pm
Quote:Originally Posted by tunarat
Uh oh, sorry my bad , wrong schiit
a thread has been devoted to that here
Yeah people seem to agree that the M-Stage seems to be slightly better than the Asgard, So the step up to the Lyr will most likely be quite a bit better than either.post #71 of 1353/30/11 at 5:17pmI agree with the consensus - thought provoking review & with regard to the LCD's, spot on IMO, thank you. I have been listening to some Miles Davis (seven steps esp) & random classical through this combo & have found myself captivated by the music time & time gain. I have also been enjoying my PRO900's through the Lyr - beautiful, orotund bass, I think this a great combo for House, Goa-Psy, Trance etc, I am only hoping that this will be the last of my aquisitions for a while (although I doubt it will be).post #72 of 1353/30/11 at 8:07pmpost #73 of 1354/1/11 at 9:30am
I bought the Lyr for my LCD-2s, which we already know is a great combo. But the Lyr also sounds great with my Grado GS1000i. I know it seems like overkill since the Grados are low impedance and high efficiency, but the extra power really seems to increase the already wide soundstage of the Grado's, which is a welcome surprise (to me at least...I'm still pretty much a newb though). Plus, the lows are deeper and wider, the mids are richer and smoother, the highs are just right (at least to my ears). Keep in mind that I'm coming from the Bellari HA540, but the step up in sound quality is a big one, and I can definitely recommend the Lyr to just about anybody.post #74 of 1354/1/11 at 9:44am
Very Impressive, it seem's a nice fit with either LCD-2's or HE6's, like Jude said tube rolling could enhance it to the next level. Impressive Indeed, I'm looking foward to putting My order in for the LCD2 & LYR. Thank's Jude, You just made My Wife Very Happy, Happy indeed!
- Schiit Audio Lyr: My First Impressions
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › Sennheiser HD 700 or HD 600 20 seconds ago
- › Several OpAmps - AD473JN - OPA2228P - LHM6643MA - ADA4841 - AD8616 2 minutes ago
- › Should I buy a portable amp for my FiiO X1 or just buy a better DAP ? 3 minutes ago
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion + Tour Application... 3 minutes ago
- › Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition 4 minutes ago
- › Feliks-Audio ELISE...(previously 6SN7 + 6AS7G/6080 prototype) 5 minutes ago
- › Bottlehead Amplifier Discussion / Comparison Thread: Crack, SEX &... 7 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread 11 minutes ago
- › Ars Technica Tests "Audiophile Ethernet Cable" in Las Vegas 11 minutes ago
- › ***NEW*** Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon... a $599 Cavalli amp??? 12 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio BTS by HiFiChris
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by Cagin
- › Philips Fidelio L2 by White Lotus
- › Etymotic ER-4P Portable In-Ear Earphones by ElMarcado
- › G430 Gaming Headset by Gonomon
- › V-MODA Crossfade M-80 by Gonomon
- › MSB Analog by negura
- › Fidue A73 Hybrid Monitor Earphones with universal single button... by kar13
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM by YoYo JoKeR
- › Ultrasone Edition 5 unlimited by hechlok
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3