Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Solid State that is as powerful as the Schiit Lyr and in the same price range? Last post on 5/22/12 at 2:17am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Should I sell my WA6? Last post on 8/3/11 at 11:46am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Please Don't Kill Me. Need Amp for HiFiMAN HE-6 Prototype. Last post on 4/13/11 at 1:06pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- How do I properly use a Headphone Amp? Last post on 3/10/11 at 12:32pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- [LIST][OPINION] Amp recommendations for Fostex/Denon Headphones. Last post on 5/24/14 at 11:55am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 7/25/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 7/21/14
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
I just received this device, along with a FiIO X5 to replace my now discontinued iPod classic. At first I liked this device - smaller, lighter than the FiIO, although only 1 slot. Shipped...
i just bought an Asus Vulcan pro gaming headset on a whim and I've gotta say I'm pleasantly surprised so I thought id share my experience. Now let me qualify this, I'm not saying they have the same...
Warm sound, good mid, great price Easy to drive compare with other studio headphone, there is shouldn't be too much complaint consider this headphone now only retail about $70 and sound really...
So the Pan Am from ALO Audio. This little guy is pretty dang impressive. An excellently-built, functioning desktop solution that is pretty easy on the eyes too! For the record, I've got the whole...
REVIEW: Brainwavz S5 Specifications: (from Brainwavz site) Driver: 10mm Dynamic Rated Impedance: 16 Ω Frequency Range: 18Hz - 24kHz Sensitivity: 110 dB @ 1 mW Cable: 1.3m,...
Schiit Audio Lyr: My First Impressions - Page 5post #61 of 1353/26/11 at 6:50pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #62 of 1353/27/11 at 8:17ampost #63 of 1353/27/11 at 2:25pmpost #64 of 1353/27/11 at 2:28pm
Quote:Originally Posted by jude
If you're wondering what the Lyr's tonal balance is, expect this (at least with these two top-tier planar magnetic headphones, and to my ears): Bass is weighty, solid, well-extended, and well controlled--yet I was left a bit wanting for more detail and texture down low, especially with the LCD-2, and in contrast to my Ray Samuels Audio Apache driving that same headphone balanced (it's worth keeping in mind that the Apache is a $3000.00 headphone amp/preamp). Again, I fully expect experimentation with tube rolling will help here.
Without getting too off-topic, I wonder if I could follow up regarding your experience with the Apache driving the LCD-2. How do you think it does with the LCD-2? Are there other amps which you strongly prefer for the LCD-2? Also, does it have enough power to drive the HE-6?
post #65 of 1353/27/11 at 3:30pm
From my experience yes it does have enough juice to drive the HE-6.
Regarding the LCD-2, it requires a powerful amp to bring out it's true potential. Of all the amps I've heard the LCD-2 paired with, only the WA22 and the upcoming balanced Red Wine amp truly brought it to life. I haven't heard it paired with the Apache though.
Edited by brasewel - 3/27/11 at 3:34pmpost #66 of 1353/28/11 at 10:05ampost #67 of 1353/28/11 at 12:37pmpost #68 of 1353/29/11 at 6:46pm
Considering getting one of these for when I get my LCD-2 (Hopefully soon!) Using a Matrix M-Stage at the moment, I will try it with LCD-2's first and see how it goes. Will the Schiit Lyr be much of an upgrade over the M-Stage?post #69 of 1353/29/11 at 10:04pmQuote:
Uh oh, sorry my bad , wrong schiit
a thread has been devoted to that here
Edited by tunarat - 3/29/11 at 10:06pmpost #70 of 1353/29/11 at 10:47pm
Quote:Originally Posted by tunarat
Uh oh, sorry my bad , wrong schiit
a thread has been devoted to that here
Yeah people seem to agree that the M-Stage seems to be slightly better than the Asgard, So the step up to the Lyr will most likely be quite a bit better than either.post #71 of 1353/30/11 at 5:17pmI agree with the consensus - thought provoking review & with regard to the LCD's, spot on IMO, thank you. I have been listening to some Miles Davis (seven steps esp) & random classical through this combo & have found myself captivated by the music time & time gain. I have also been enjoying my PRO900's through the Lyr - beautiful, orotund bass, I think this a great combo for House, Goa-Psy, Trance etc, I am only hoping that this will be the last of my aquisitions for a while (although I doubt it will be).post #72 of 1353/30/11 at 8:07pmpost #73 of 1354/1/11 at 9:30am
I bought the Lyr for my LCD-2s, which we already know is a great combo. But the Lyr also sounds great with my Grado GS1000i. I know it seems like overkill since the Grados are low impedance and high efficiency, but the extra power really seems to increase the already wide soundstage of the Grado's, which is a welcome surprise (to me at least...I'm still pretty much a newb though). Plus, the lows are deeper and wider, the mids are richer and smoother, the highs are just right (at least to my ears). Keep in mind that I'm coming from the Bellari HA540, but the step up in sound quality is a big one, and I can definitely recommend the Lyr to just about anybody.post #74 of 1354/1/11 at 9:44am
Very Impressive, it seem's a nice fit with either LCD-2's or HE6's, like Jude said tube rolling could enhance it to the next level. Impressive Indeed, I'm looking foward to putting My order in for the LCD2 & LYR. Thank's Jude, You just made My Wife Very Happy, Happy indeed!
- Schiit Audio Lyr: My First Impressions
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › Music Research...Maybe you guys can help? 1 minute ago
- › Creative Sound Blaster new series Z, Zx & ZxR 1 minute ago
- › FiiO " Flagship " portable amp Mont Blanc/E12 discussing thread. 1 minute ago
- › Great headsets for around $100? 2 minutes ago
- › Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide 2 minutes ago
- › The best full-sized- sub 60$? 3 minutes ago
- › Beyerdynamic DT 150: Bloody Brilliant! 4 minutes ago
- › Moving away from DT-990(250Ohms) 5 minutes ago
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › ECP Audio - DSHA-1, L-2, Black Diamond 5 minutes ago
- › iBasso DX90 Portable Digital Audio Player by RickFrank
- › ASUS Vulcan ANC Circumaural Pro Gaming Headset by robthebiggerman
- › AKG Acoustics K-240 Semi Open Studio Headphones by jerryg
- › ALO Audio The Pan Am by JoeDoe
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by Zelda
- › Tralucent Audio Ref 1 by Kunlun
- › Violectric HPA V281 by saxelrod92
- › Yamaha EPH-100SL Inner-Ear Headphone by lumberjake
- › Schiit Audio Ragnarok by goldendarko
- › Ultimate Ears UE9000 Noise-Cancelling Wireless Headphones by SennsAsian
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)