Quote from Jason in Six Moons review: On 6N1Ps: "No problem with using the Valhalla's 6N1Ps.The transformer will easily supply the heater current. The amp will just run a bit warmer.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Solid State that is as powerful as the Schiit Lyr and in the same price range? Last post on 5/22/12 at 2:17am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Should I sell my WA6? Last post on 8/3/11 at 11:46am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Please Don't Kill Me. Need Amp for HiFiMAN HE-6 Prototype. Last post on 4/13/11 at 1:06pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- How do I properly use a Headphone Amp? Last post on 3/10/11 at 12:32pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- [LIST][OPINION] Amp recommendations for Fostex/Denon Headphones. Last post on 1/12/15 at 3:42pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 11/28/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/8/14
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Disclaimer: I am in not associated with any company; my views are mine, and my own. The Thinksound Rain2 is the newest IEM produced and designed by the environmentally friendly company...
Introduction: When I first came accross the AudioMinor in e-bay I was surprised that the seller is located in the country where I live: Turkey. I have contacted with the company owner/ebay...
For those if you who know me, you know i prefer the FR curve to be as neutral as possible. I have the Etymotic ER4s (ER4p with Etymotic's 75 ohm converter cable), had the HF5, and tried many...
Around 2009, the rumbling and chatter at Headfi.org was getting louder… It was beginning to roar. There was mention of a DIY designer who had an amp that would not only change headphone...
Intro This is an IEM that caught Head-fi by storm. Featuring a single 10mm high-bandwidth dynamic, using two patented technologies, Ostry made quite the statement. A company that was...
Schiit Audio Lyr: My First Impressions - Page 2post #16 of 1353/24/11 at 5:41am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 1353/24/11 at 6:11ampost #18 of 1353/24/11 at 6:34ampost #19 of 1353/24/11 at 11:01ampost #20 of 1353/24/11 at 11:04amThread Starterpost #21 of 1353/24/11 at 11:16ampost #22 of 1353/24/11 at 1:20pm
Thanks Jude how do you think it compares to the Asgard if I can only buy one amp? I have never had a headphone amp but I need a starting place right now I can only get the Asgard or the LYR. I will be using Denon AH-D5000 to start with.
Edited by headphone4me - 3/24/11 at 1:21pmpost #23 of 1353/24/11 at 1:24pm
headphone4me - I know you addressed this to Jude but I thought I might be able to provide some perspective. I have the D2000's and an Asgard (a wonderful combo by the way). I definitely prefer listening to my D2000's with the Lyr; more dynamic and musical. It seems that even with very efficient (low ohm) cans, the power and dynamics help.post #24 of 1353/24/11 at 2:02pm
Thank you misterrogers anyone that had both is fine. That helps a lot. I kind of thought that but really needed someone to confirm for me. I actually probably will own both eventually but now I only get one. Thanks so much.post #25 of 1353/24/11 at 3:23pmpost #26 of 1353/24/11 at 3:33pmQuote:
Great, I am thinking seriously about this amp. I have some very, very nice 1965 black plate 6N1P's that are very different from any other 6N1P of later origin with the grey plates.post #27 of 1353/24/11 at 4:51pmpost #28 of 1353/24/11 at 4:58pm
Try a Siemens 6922. They were often reboxed by RCA. The pins are gold plated and to me, they are one of the better sounding varieties. There are so many to choose from this should be a fun amp. Then there is the GE grey glass, that is sold for a fairly cheap price and many like the sound. You could look up Joe's tube lore on the 6DJ8 types. So many, so much variety, so much fun, though it can get expensive. I am glad I have a few hundred NOS of these types.post #29 of 1353/24/11 at 5:17pm
Quote:Originally Posted by jude
One of the best amps I've so far heard with the HE-6 was Head-Fi'er musicman59's carefully tubed, maxed-out Woo Audio WA5-LE (one of my dream amps)--it was simply sublime, and, on balance, maybe the best I've yet heard the HE-6 sound. In my brief listen to musicman59's rig, what captivated me was the texture, the microdynamics, and a warmth of tone that the HE-6 benefits from beautifully. Does the Lyr, at probably $3500 less than that big, tricked-out Woo, do the same? Well, no.
However, what the Lyr does do better than maybe any other headphone amplifier I've heard the HE-6 through is incite peals of macrodynamic thunder, which, given the HE-6's amp-devouring nature, is certainly no mean feat. In fact, I'll go so far as to venture that a good number of HE-6 owners may not know just how lively and charged the HE-6 can be. I was listening to the finale from Stravinsky's Firebird (Eiji Oue, Minnesota Orchestra, available at HDTracks.com), and literally kept re-playing the track--over and over and over. I've heard this piece many times through the HE-6, but not like that.
That's not faint praise. I also got to hear the HE-6 through muscman59's setup at the January meet, and for the $450 Lyr to compare this well to it is truly impressive. (I hope musicman59 chimes in on this thread).
Maybe there should be an ortho amp shootout at the next area meet; There are a variety of approaches being taken to power the HE-6 and it'd be fun to compare them side-by-side.post #30 of 1353/25/11 at 1:26am
I loved the Lyr with my custom Orthos.
I tried it at the Bay Area Meet and it blew me away. It really made me realize that my Matrix mini I is not sufficient enough to drive something with a t50rp driver in it.
Oh and thanks for the review Jude! I agree with your findings. I've tested both the He-6 and the LCD-2 on some nice amps and the Lyr really stood it's ground.
- Schiit Audio Lyr: My First Impressions
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread 49 seconds ago
- › Music City Meet Vol. 3 -- Nashville, TN -- Spring 2015 (April 18,... 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 1 minute ago
- › NVX XPT100 (HM5 clone) - nonexistent bass, tinny and artificial... 3 minutes ago
- › Feliks-Audio...6SN7 + 6AS7G/6080 prototype 3 minutes ago
- › Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5 3 minutes ago
- › Audio-Gd Master 7 - Discrete Fully Balanced DAC (PCM1704) 4 minutes ago
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics! 4 minutes ago
- › Nice Competition: Alclair, Native DSD, Music Direct & iFi Audio... 5 minutes ago
- › Goldring DR100 High Fidelity Stereo Headphones by interpolate
- › thinksound rain2 Wooden In-Ear Headphone (Gunmetal Chocolate) by Delance26
- › AudioMinor Headphone Cables by Baycode
- › Etymotic Research Isolator MK5 Noise-Isolating In-Ear Earphones by eyal1983
- › Cavalli Audio Liquid Gold by Frank I
- › OSTRY KC06 High Fidelity Stereo Inner-Ear Earphones by Inks
- › Schiit Audio Valhalla 2 by Hifi Enthusiast
- › Schiit Vali by CEE TEE
- › Signature Acoustics O16 Live by ClieOS
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by potatoe94
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3