Quote from Jason in Six Moons review: On 6N1Ps: "No problem with using the Valhalla's 6N1Ps.The transformer will easily supply the heater current. The amp will just run a bit warmer.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Solid State that is as powerful as the Schiit Lyr and in the same price range? Last post on 5/22/12 at 2:17am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Should I sell my WA6? Last post on 8/3/11 at 11:46am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Please Don't Kill Me. Need Amp for HiFiMAN HE-6 Prototype. Last post on 4/13/11 at 1:06pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- How do I properly use a Headphone Amp? Last post on 3/10/11 at 12:32pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- [LIST][OPINION] Amp recommendations for Fostex/Denon Headphones. Last post on 4/5/16 at 2:45am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/4/15
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
HIFIMAN SuperMini review Oct 2016 INTRO Just some background on me with previous experience of daps and why I’ve arrived here at this point in time. ...In a Hi-Fi...
First of all, above any other factor, these are just SO COMFORTABLE!! There are very expensive headphones I used that sound really good but feel like someone is trying to crush my head. These have...
I think it is more of a smartphone gadget, than audiophiles device. It has the potential to save battery power when listening with portable devices. My subjective review of the sound: A little...
Introduction Simgot is a new name in Asian audio that is getting some attention with their new EN700 model. Supposedly, some that were involved in tuning the Ostry IEMs have tuned this one, so...
Have had these for a loooong time. Now that I've got older ears, I don't really hear the beautiful crystal-like treble anymore, but I'm sure it's still there. :)
Schiit Audio Lyr: My First Impressions - Page 2post #16 of 1353/24/11 at 5:41am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 1353/24/11 at 6:11ampost #18 of 1353/24/11 at 6:34ampost #19 of 1353/24/11 at 11:01ampost #20 of 1353/24/11 at 11:04amThread Starterpost #21 of 1353/24/11 at 11:16ampost #22 of 1353/24/11 at 1:20pm
Thanks Jude how do you think it compares to the Asgard if I can only buy one amp? I have never had a headphone amp but I need a starting place right now I can only get the Asgard or the LYR. I will be using Denon AH-D5000 to start with.
Edited by headphone4me - 3/24/11 at 1:21pmpost #23 of 1353/24/11 at 1:24pm
headphone4me - I know you addressed this to Jude but I thought I might be able to provide some perspective. I have the D2000's and an Asgard (a wonderful combo by the way). I definitely prefer listening to my D2000's with the Lyr; more dynamic and musical. It seems that even with very efficient (low ohm) cans, the power and dynamics help.post #24 of 1353/24/11 at 2:02pm
Thank you misterrogers anyone that had both is fine. That helps a lot. I kind of thought that but really needed someone to confirm for me. I actually probably will own both eventually but now I only get one. Thanks so much.post #25 of 1353/24/11 at 3:23pmpost #26 of 1353/24/11 at 3:33pmQuote:
Great, I am thinking seriously about this amp. I have some very, very nice 1965 black plate 6N1P's that are very different from any other 6N1P of later origin with the grey plates.post #27 of 1353/24/11 at 4:51pmpost #28 of 1353/24/11 at 4:58pm
Try a Siemens 6922. They were often reboxed by RCA. The pins are gold plated and to me, they are one of the better sounding varieties. There are so many to choose from this should be a fun amp. Then there is the GE grey glass, that is sold for a fairly cheap price and many like the sound. You could look up Joe's tube lore on the 6DJ8 types. So many, so much variety, so much fun, though it can get expensive. I am glad I have a few hundred NOS of these types.post #29 of 1353/24/11 at 5:17pm
Quote:Originally Posted by jude
One of the best amps I've so far heard with the HE-6 was Head-Fi'er musicman59's carefully tubed, maxed-out Woo Audio WA5-LE (one of my dream amps)--it was simply sublime, and, on balance, maybe the best I've yet heard the HE-6 sound. In my brief listen to musicman59's rig, what captivated me was the texture, the microdynamics, and a warmth of tone that the HE-6 benefits from beautifully. Does the Lyr, at probably $3500 less than that big, tricked-out Woo, do the same? Well, no.
However, what the Lyr does do better than maybe any other headphone amplifier I've heard the HE-6 through is incite peals of macrodynamic thunder, which, given the HE-6's amp-devouring nature, is certainly no mean feat. In fact, I'll go so far as to venture that a good number of HE-6 owners may not know just how lively and charged the HE-6 can be. I was listening to the finale from Stravinsky's Firebird (Eiji Oue, Minnesota Orchestra, available at HDTracks.com), and literally kept re-playing the track--over and over and over. I've heard this piece many times through the HE-6, but not like that.
That's not faint praise. I also got to hear the HE-6 through muscman59's setup at the January meet, and for the $450 Lyr to compare this well to it is truly impressive. (I hope musicman59 chimes in on this thread).
Maybe there should be an ortho amp shootout at the next area meet; There are a variety of approaches being taken to power the HE-6 and it'd be fun to compare them side-by-side.post #30 of 1353/25/11 at 1:26am
I loved the Lyr with my custom Orthos.
I tried it at the Bay Area Meet and it blew me away. It really made me realize that my Matrix mini I is not sufficient enough to drive something with a t50rp driver in it.
Oh and thanks for the review Jude! I agree with your findings. I've tested both the He-6 and the LCD-2 on some nice amps and the Lyr really stood it's ground.
- Schiit Audio Lyr: My First Impressions
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › Chord Mojo - The Official Thread .☆*¨*★. Please READ the 3rd... 6 seconds ago
- › Norne Audio (Was: Norse Audio): Feedback & Impression Thread 44 seconds ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 1 minute ago
- › Shanling M1: An iPod Nano Competitor (DAP | USB DAC | USB Transport... 2 minutes ago
- › Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova 6 minutes ago
- › Review on HtC 10 and Sound quality 6 minutes ago
- › Focal Elear and Utopia Review / Preview With Measurements - Head-Fi TV 6 minutes ago
- › Any IEMs Similar to EPH-100 by Yamaha? 7 minutes ago
- › Astell&Kern AK380 9 minutes ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 10 minutes ago
- › HIFIMAN SuperMini High-Res Portable Player by FortisFlyer75
- › Sony MDR-1A Premium Hi-Res Stereo Headphones by Peter Zhang
- › FiiO A1 Micro Headphone Amplifier by Headzone
- › SIMGOT EN700 In Ear Dynamic Earphone 24Ω Original ... by bhazard
- › Sony MDR-CD2000 CD Series Headphones by leroik
- › iFi Pro iCAN by ostewart
- › Sennheiser HD 590 Headphones by aafanatic
- › HiFiMAN Megamini by glassmonkey
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by suman134
- › Burson Audio Supreme Sound Opamp V5i by ph0n6
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...