Quote from Jason in Six Moons review: On 6N1Ps: "No problem with using the Valhalla's 6N1Ps.The transformer will easily supply the heater current. The amp will just run a bit warmer.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Solid State that is as powerful as the Schiit Lyr and in the same price range? Last post on 5/22/12 at 2:17am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Should I sell my WA6? Last post on 8/3/11 at 11:46am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Please Don't Kill Me. Need Amp for HiFiMAN HE-6 Prototype. Last post on 4/13/11 at 1:06pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- How do I properly use a Headphone Amp? Last post on 3/10/11 at 12:32pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- [LIST][OPINION] Amp recommendations for Fostex/Denon Headphones. Last post on 1/8/14 at 2:00am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 12/20/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)Last edited: 12/10/13
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
I want to thanks Vincent from IFI who has sent me the sample for the review. In the past, on my site www.stereo-head.it and on head fi, I’ve already reviewed some IFI’s electronics and i...
Disclosure: I received these headphones from Sony Australia as a review sample to keep. Here is my video review of the 10R, as well as some brief notes about the sound and build of the...
My Story First of all - WOW. This is my first set of proper Hi-fi/Mid-fi cans. It's also easily the best sounding anything I've ever had the pleasure of listening to. However, since I'm new to...
I stumbled upon these headphones after numerous hours of research. To be quite honest, I'd never heard of this brand before so I was a bit hesitant before making the jump; especially after owning...
Let me start with the good, and then explain why you should never buy this IEM. Sound signature: The treble, mids and bass are sort of like that of an HD800, except downgraded. For example, one...
Schiit Audio Lyr: My First Impressions - Page 2post #16 of 1353/24/11 at 5:41am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 1353/24/11 at 6:11ampost #18 of 1353/24/11 at 6:34ampost #19 of 1353/24/11 at 11:01ampost #20 of 1353/24/11 at 11:04amThread Starterpost #21 of 1353/24/11 at 11:16ampost #22 of 1353/24/11 at 1:20pm
Thanks Jude how do you think it compares to the Asgard if I can only buy one amp? I have never had a headphone amp but I need a starting place right now I can only get the Asgard or the LYR. I will be using Denon AH-D5000 to start with.
Edited by headphone4me - 3/24/11 at 1:21pmpost #23 of 1353/24/11 at 1:24pm
headphone4me - I know you addressed this to Jude but I thought I might be able to provide some perspective. I have the D2000's and an Asgard (a wonderful combo by the way). I definitely prefer listening to my D2000's with the Lyr; more dynamic and musical. It seems that even with very efficient (low ohm) cans, the power and dynamics help.post #24 of 1353/24/11 at 2:02pm
Thank you misterrogers anyone that had both is fine. That helps a lot. I kind of thought that but really needed someone to confirm for me. I actually probably will own both eventually but now I only get one. Thanks so much.post #25 of 1353/24/11 at 3:23pmpost #26 of 1353/24/11 at 3:33pmQuote:
Great, I am thinking seriously about this amp. I have some very, very nice 1965 black plate 6N1P's that are very different from any other 6N1P of later origin with the grey plates.post #27 of 1353/24/11 at 4:51pmpost #28 of 1353/24/11 at 4:58pm
Try a Siemens 6922. They were often reboxed by RCA. The pins are gold plated and to me, they are one of the better sounding varieties. There are so many to choose from this should be a fun amp. Then there is the GE grey glass, that is sold for a fairly cheap price and many like the sound. You could look up Joe's tube lore on the 6DJ8 types. So many, so much variety, so much fun, though it can get expensive. I am glad I have a few hundred NOS of these types.post #29 of 1353/24/11 at 5:17pm
Quote:Originally Posted by jude
One of the best amps I've so far heard with the HE-6 was Head-Fi'er musicman59's carefully tubed, maxed-out Woo Audio WA5-LE (one of my dream amps)--it was simply sublime, and, on balance, maybe the best I've yet heard the HE-6 sound. In my brief listen to musicman59's rig, what captivated me was the texture, the microdynamics, and a warmth of tone that the HE-6 benefits from beautifully. Does the Lyr, at probably $3500 less than that big, tricked-out Woo, do the same? Well, no.
However, what the Lyr does do better than maybe any other headphone amplifier I've heard the HE-6 through is incite peals of macrodynamic thunder, which, given the HE-6's amp-devouring nature, is certainly no mean feat. In fact, I'll go so far as to venture that a good number of HE-6 owners may not know just how lively and charged the HE-6 can be. I was listening to the finale from Stravinsky's Firebird (Eiji Oue, Minnesota Orchestra, available at HDTracks.com), and literally kept re-playing the track--over and over and over. I've heard this piece many times through the HE-6, but not like that.
That's not faint praise. I also got to hear the HE-6 through muscman59's setup at the January meet, and for the $450 Lyr to compare this well to it is truly impressive. (I hope musicman59 chimes in on this thread).
Maybe there should be an ortho amp shootout at the next area meet; There are a variety of approaches being taken to power the HE-6 and it'd be fun to compare them side-by-side.post #30 of 1353/25/11 at 1:26am
I loved the Lyr with my custom Orthos.
I tried it at the Bay Area Meet and it blew me away. It really made me realize that my Matrix mini I is not sufficient enough to drive something with a t50rp driver in it.
Oh and thanks for the review Jude! I agree with your findings. I've tested both the He-6 and the LCD-2 on some nice amps and the Lyr really stood it's ground.
- Schiit Audio Lyr: My First Impressions
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...
- › Vorzüge VorzAMP PURE II - review and impressions 9 seconds ago
- › Official 2014 SoCal Head-Fi Meet Impressions Thread 10 seconds ago
- › Pictures of Your *Budget-Fi* Portable Rig (< $200) 28 seconds ago
- › Audeze LCD-2 Appreciation Thread 1 minute ago
- › JH Audio Sirens Series Roxanne Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 3 minutes ago
- › Review: ZMF Modified Fostex T50RP. Superb! 4 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Appreciation Thread!! 6 minutes ago
- › Multi-IEM Review - 311 IEMs compared (HiSoundAudio BA100 added... 6 minutes ago
- › post your grado mods.... 6 minutes ago
- › IFI Gemini usb cable by turo91
- › Sony Over-Ear Headphones - MDR-10R by a_recording
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by kuhchuk
- › BRAINWAVZ HM5 Studio Monitor Headphones by ashton18
- › Sennheiser IE800 by ag8908
- › Pioneer SE-CL721-K Headphones, Black/Red by tswmcello
- › Colorfly C3 by svyr
- › HiFiMeDIY Sabre Tiny USB DAC Digital to Analog Audio Converter... by laughingbuddha
- › Hifimediy Sabre USB DAC by laughingbuddha
- › Digital Silence DS-101A Stereo Analogue Ambient Noise Cancelling... by julian67
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude