What brand of headphone is considered best for electronic music? Anything from hard trance to house. Thanks.
Related Forum Threads
- I feel like I've missed a step, is it worth it to go back? Last post on 3/17/11 at 5:39pm in Headphones (full-size)
- The Deals Thread (CLOSED! See the last post for the link to the new thread) Last post on 2/16/13 at 3:40am in Headphones (full-size)
- HE-400/HE-300 vs Sennheiser HD650/HD600 Last post on 11/14/13 at 9:02am in Headphones (full-size)
- Which headphones handle very fast, complex music better: Sennheiser or Grado? [and NOT just hard... Last post on 7/13/14 at 9:18am in Headphones (full-size)
- Mini Guide for Buying a Headphone Last post on 1/19/12 at 7:29pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 1/18/16
- Grado Modification OverviewLast edited: 9/27/11
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
Thank-you to Pandora of Brainwavz for supplying the Omega for review. Brainwavz has been around for a while now and this isn't my first encounter with one of their products. In 2011 I...
I picked this up second hand on ebay, more out of curiosity than anything. I'm just getting into listening with headphones and one of my amps doesn't have a headphone socket, so this seemed like as...
I have owned the Darkvoice 336SE for a while now, and consider myself a discerning listener/audiophile. My listening setup consists of two KRK RP-5 studio reference monitors, and a KRK RP-10S, and...
Preamble: At HiFime, all started with the production of the Tripath TK2050 speaker amplification chip. Nowadays they are mostly known for their portable DACs that use valuable...
I've only been in this game since January but have bought a new IEM every month (at pay day obviously). Nothing yet has come close to being my go-to IEM. (I should note...I bought the Titans for...
Grado is for rock as what is to electronic music?post #1 of 643/22/11 at 11:55amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 643/22/11 at 11:57ampost #3 of 643/22/11 at 12:01pmpost #4 of 643/22/11 at 12:50pmpost #5 of 643/22/11 at 1:33pmThread Starter
Cheers for that. Have to look into them. Not sure why but don't seem to have read many ultrasone reviews.
The genre thing is that it is easier to recommend a brand than a specific model to friends. People won't remember model number but a brand is easier to remember. My brother is thinking of getting the HD 650 and maybe get him to get ultrasone instead. Don't think the 650 are best for his music.
post #6 of 643/22/11 at 1:51pmThread Starterpost #7 of 643/22/11 at 2:00pmQuote:
I think what rythmdevils means is that you either enjoy how a headphone sounds or you don't. If you fully enjoy your headphone, then you can listen to any genre with it.post #8 of 643/22/11 at 2:13pm
All headphones/speakers have some sort of coloration and people who listen to genres tend to prefer that type of coloration (or lack thereof). Imagine listening to hip-hop or electronica with weak bass, its not the same just like listening to jazz or classical music with a significant drop off in the highs.
I don't understand the whole brand for genre thing myself. It seems that almost every brand out there (except perhaps grado) has models that cover most coloration preferences (bass heavy, neutral, bright, etc).Quote:
There's a few good appreciation/review threads especially for HFi-580's. Personally I love these cans for electronica, solid, deep, clean bass and detailed highs and the slightly recessed mid-bass prevents that megaphone sound that neutral drivers can give electronicapost #9 of 643/22/11 at 2:14pm
Well Grado gets the nod for rock because on the forward midrange and added treble energy. It makes electric guitars sound more "there". And I somewhat agree with that. I like to rock out with my MS1s sometimes.
And then there are phones that have very fast drivers, which are great for milking every last bit or texture and detail. Lovers of classical music, or any acoustic music like Blugrass, can appreciate that quality but that same speed has it's drawbacks. Many find the lean bass, caused by the rapid decay, to be unpleasant. The Sony SA5000 and AKG K701 are classic examples of fast phones that had their heyday when new, but were later bashed for their weaknesses because they couldn't "do it all".
Closed cans can usually make the bass notes take the forefront of the signature. And there is a lot of modern music where bass is supposed to be the main focus and even carries the melody of the song. So closed cans are well suited to that.
But the phones that are the most highly prized for lovers of "music in general" are those that balance it all out. I fit into that category which is why my hp of choice is a Sennheiser HD580. I don't want to have 4 different cans for different genres so I use one that does everything I want it to pretty well. The day that I get a Sennhieser HD580\HD600 midrange, a Denon D7000 bass all with the speed and soundstage of a K701 in one headphone, I'll be happier'n a tornado in a trailer park.
Edited by cswann1 - 3/22/11 at 2:16pmpost #10 of 643/22/11 at 2:16pmThread Starter
Lots of people said they love their Grado headphones for rock but don't like it for other music and like the K701 for classical music but not for say electronic music.
Some headphones just go better with specific genre of music or otherwise people won't be asked to say what music they listen to when recommending a headphone.post #11 of 643/22/11 at 2:19pmpost #12 of 643/22/11 at 2:27pm
I had a chance to listen to some recabled Ultrasones at 32 Ohm last week and I can see why they're great for electronic music. The bass end had excellent extension and was crystal clear. I think that sometimes very bassy phones don't have such an excellent level of detail. It was impressive.
(Listened to K&D)post #13 of 643/22/11 at 2:31pmThread Starter
Cheers. Just found some threads on 580 but pretty much nada for any other models. What is the difference between the PRO series and the HFI? Maybe have to create a new thread just for Ultrasone headphones reviews. :Ppost #14 of 643/22/11 at 2:51pm
There are loads of Ultrasone threads with replies... Head-fi search isn't great so I suggest using google... simply type for example: site:head-fi.org ultrasone pro 900
You can even type: site:head-fi.org ultrasone pro 900 hfi 780 for a comparison between different headphones.
Edited by Graphicism - 3/22/11 at 2:52pmpost #15 of 643/22/11 at 3:04pm
- Grado is for rock as what is to electronic music?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Lets Talk Metal 2 minutes ago
- › Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread. 5 minutes ago
- › FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android + Amp Module... 7 minutes ago
- › IBasso Audio IT03 8 minutes ago
- › Tralucent Audio 1Plus2 IEM (Now With 'New' 1Plus2.2!) Impressions... 8 minutes ago
- › Lear NS-U1 NatroSound's Impression + Discussion 8 minutes ago
- › Creative Sound blaster E5 - Headphone amp + USB DAC with OTG +... 9 minutes ago
- › Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova 10 minutes ago
- › Rhapsodio – A force to be reckoned with 11 minutes ago
- › The Best IEM's for Bass are...... (Basshead IEM's) 11 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz Omega In Ear Earbuds Noise Isolating Earphones Remote... by Deviltooth
- › Bravo Audio Ocean by Varley58
- › Darkvoice 336SE by Shasari
- › HiFime SPDIF Optical 9018 DAC by HiFiChris
- › Dunu TITAN 1 — titanium-coated diaphragm earphones by harry501501
- › TFZ Series 1 by TwinACStacks
- › NuForce HEM4 Reference Class Hi-Res In-Ear Headphones with Dual... by Jackpot77
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by TwinACStacks
- › Fostex TH-X00 Massdrop exclusive by bestula
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Headphone by DJ Liquid
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...