I have the best portable source/amp, hifiiman 801 and SR-71B. do you think this is good enough to power HD800, balance and give you a great sound ? or does HD800 demand better than them to be worthwhile?
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 3/24/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 3/24/11
- productRay Samuels Audio Emmeline SR-71B Balanced Amptagged by System, 3/24/11
- productSennheiser HD 600tagged by System, 3/24/11
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by System, 3/24/11
- productWoo Audio WA 6 SEtagged by System, 3/24/11
Related Forum Threads
- Looking for over-ear headphones. Any advice? Last post on 9/27/12 at 12:58am in Headphones (full-size)
- Senn HD650 or HD600? Last post on 10/16/13 at 3:22am in Headphones (full-size)
- Comparison of 5 popular cans in the $250-350 range - K701, HD650, DT990/600ohm, SR325is, D2000 -... Last post on 6/20/13 at 6:37am in Headphones (full-size)
- so i just got some K 701's.... Last post on 10/6/11 at 12:57am in Headphones (full-size)
- Cable(ALO) recommendation for Sennheiser HD800 Last post on 10/2/11 at 11:17am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 7/25/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 8/29/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)Last edited: 7/30/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 7/21/14
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
I remember browsing the ebay like many of you guys do to see what is out there in portable amplifier land and this one caught my attention because for one it looked very nice and second it...
Intro The HE-400i is the latest headphone from Hifiman. It was released recently as a replacement for the popular HE-400. This write-up will give my initial impressions of the HE-400i as well as...
There's not much that haven't been said about this amazing universal IEM so I'll try not to repeat. I bought the TG334 at Fujiya Avic...thanks to AnakChan for his strong recommendation and for...
This is a review of Logitech/Ultimate Ears UE900s multi-driver in-ear monitors. http://www.ultimateears.com/en-us/900s The original UE900 was my first pair of hi-fi IEMs, the one which opened...
Brainwavz S5 Review: There are questions, and then there are questions that you get asked constantly. One of the most common requests of knowledge from me are on if unit X is better than unit...
is my source/amp good enough to power HD800?post #1 of 103/22/11 at 9:49amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 103/23/11 at 1:39amThe HD-800 should be powered by a desktop amp. Portables just don't have enough power to do them justice. Read Boomana's guide if you need an explanation.
Personally and anecdotally, it seems that the HD-800 is happiest with a good tube amp. They are not inexpensive, but tubes generally bring out the best in the HD-800.post #3 of 103/23/11 at 2:40am
I've had amazing results from my b22/s22 and feel it's at least on par with my WA6SE and has advantages over the Woo. I've heard it with the Leben and a Decware rig also. All of them petty damn special. I just slightly prefer the b22. Of course the tubes vs solid state debate is a subjective one. One that won't be solved in this thread. What I will say is that I believe it takes a serious amp to get the most out of the HD800.
Edited by baka1969 - 3/23/11 at 2:42ampost #4 of 103/23/11 at 9:35am
I don't have enough experience with the 801 to know if it's a good source for the price, but it's certainly not bad. I have listened to the SR-71B driving HD-600s, which have similar amplification requirements to the HD-800. It wasn't anywhere close to powerful enough. Any desktop amp will be better. If you are on a budget, the Sheer Audio HA-006 (dynalo) will power it well. Others have got good results with the Schitt Asgard, but I have not heard this combination myself.post #5 of 103/23/11 at 1:47pm
Quote:Originally Posted by helpinghand
"Your portable rig will make the 800s sing. Will it push them to their best... maybe not. But it wouldn't sound bad by any stretch."
Do you have experience with the OP's setup to make that statement? I've driven the HD800 with many sources and amps and I feel the HD800 needs a desktop amp to power them properly. Please state your specific experience.post #6 of 103/23/11 at 2:06pmpost #7 of 103/23/11 at 3:31pm
Quote:Originally Posted by helpinghand
"First off I don't need experience with his source or amp to make that statement, (it's why there were so many conditionals).
But to appease anyways,
I've heard the 800s with a HeadRoom Airhead with an iPod LOD as a source and the combo was awesome. The 650s behave the same way with HeadRooms entry level portable stuff. It's a smooth, relaxed presentation that I really enjoyed. Is it the best I've heard from those headphones, nope. But it was in no way bad, disappointing or un-involving. I know it gets better, and I would bet the OP does too, but that wasn't his question. He asked if they would be worthwhile, not their best. So my answer to his question is perfectly fine."
I've had the Total Airhead together with the HD650 and felt it was a poor match. I had iBasso D2+ Boa with the HD800 and felt it was a poor match. Neither were driven close to their respective potentials. IMHO, and the opinion of many others, the HD800 needs a desk amp to fully drive them. Why would you spend $1k+ on a headphone to cheap out on a poorly matched portable amp?post #8 of 103/23/11 at 6:13pmQuote:
Even connected directly to my Squeezebox Touch, my HD800 sounds great.Quote:
+1post #9 of 103/23/11 at 6:34pmPeople need to chillax...
Hd800 out of a udac works. It certainly sounds pretty good to most people who haven't heard it out of something better. I guess I'm trying to say that it will probably sound great to you because you don't have anything to compare it with. The view others have is that you should spend the money on a hd600 and buy a better amp and source. I followed that path and I'm not at the end yet .
Oh and not everyone loves the hd800.post #10 of 103/23/11 at 6:51pmQuote:It certainly sounds pretty good to most people who haven't heard it out of something better. It still sounds good, even if you have heard it out of something better...I'm trying to say that it will probably sound great to you because you don't have anything to compare it with. I have some good stuff to compare with (akg k1000 and O2 Mk1) and I still think that the HD800 sound great out of my Squeezebox Touch...
- is my source/amp good enough to power HD800?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Roll call: Indians staying in India, interested in high end... 2 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 3 minutes ago
- › ATH-M50 upgrade? HELP (urgent) 5 minutes ago
- › REVIEW: Unique Melody Merlin - hybrid dynamic/balanced armature... 6 minutes ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 8 minutes ago
- › iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions,... 9 minutes ago
- › Red Wine Audio Cassabria 9 minutes ago
- › NEW! SONY NWZ-A10 Series Walkman. Micro SD Card Slot! 10 minutes ago
- › Rate the video games you're currently playing 12 minutes ago
- › Rockbox for iBasso DX90 dual boot with modded FW intl ver 2 (Latest... 12 minutes ago
- › Cayin C5 Portable HIFI Audio Headphone Amplifier by Dsnuts
- › HiFiMAN HE-400i by canuckavelli
- › FitEar TO GO! 334 by Francisk
- › Logitech UE 900 by twister6
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by bowei006
- › Resonessence Labs Concero HP by cleg
- › JDS Labs C5D by TheGame21x
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by twister6
- › Shure SE215 by Existence
- › Audiofly AF140 In-Ear Headphones (Gray) by Loquah
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)