I have the best portable source/amp, hifiiman 801 and SR-71B. do you think this is good enough to power HD800, balance and give you a great sound ? or does HD800 demand better than them to be worthwhile?
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 3/24/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 3/24/11
- productRay Samuels Audio Emmeline SR-71B Balanced Amptagged by System, 3/24/11
- productSennheiser HD-600tagged by System, 3/24/11
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by System, 3/24/11
- productWoo Audio WA 6 SEtagged by System, 3/24/11
Related Forum Threads
- Looking for over-ear headphones. Any advice? Last post on 9/27/12 at 12:58am in Headphones (full-size)
- Senn HD650 or HD600? Last post on 10/16/13 at 3:22am in Headphones (full-size)
- Comparison of 5 popular cans in the $250-350 range - K701, HD650, DT990/600ohm, SR325is, D2000 -... Last post on 6/20/13 at 6:37am in Headphones (full-size)
- so i just got some K 701's.... Last post on 10/6/11 at 12:57am in Headphones (full-size)
- Cable(ALO) recommendation for Sennheiser HD800 Last post on 10/2/11 at 11:17am in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: Yesterday
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)Last edited: 12/4/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/5/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
I've spent the past week auditioning these new VSD1S by VSonic. Before this I was listening extensively to my dual dynamics JVC FXT90's and my dual armature UE 700. For a single dynamic driver that...
I started this review with the intention of pointing out the things I don't like about it, but man, there really isn't much I don't love about these. Out of the box they sound very thin and...
It does a good job as a DAC for my starving student amp. Eventually, I will probably upgrade but it works well enough. It is nice that it powers off of USB and doesn't take up tons of space.
The review is based on the stock pads, not based on the upgraded velour pads. The only problem with the sound quality is a weird color in the upper mids, around vocal range. This is due to the...
The 880s don't have a lot of color to themselves. They're light comfortable cans that get the job done. They are a well rounded headphone good for someone who can't quite figure out what kind of...
is my source/amp good enough to power HD800?post #1 of 103/22/11 at 9:49amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 103/23/11 at 1:39amThe HD-800 should be powered by a desktop amp. Portables just don't have enough power to do them justice. Read Boomana's guide if you need an explanation.
Personally and anecdotally, it seems that the HD-800 is happiest with a good tube amp. They are not inexpensive, but tubes generally bring out the best in the HD-800.post #3 of 103/23/11 at 2:40am
I've had amazing results from my b22/s22 and feel it's at least on par with my WA6SE and has advantages over the Woo. I've heard it with the Leben and a Decware rig also. All of them petty damn special. I just slightly prefer the b22. Of course the tubes vs solid state debate is a subjective one. One that won't be solved in this thread. What I will say is that I believe it takes a serious amp to get the most out of the HD800.
Edited by baka1969 - 3/23/11 at 2:42ampost #4 of 103/23/11 at 9:35am
I don't have enough experience with the 801 to know if it's a good source for the price, but it's certainly not bad. I have listened to the SR-71B driving HD-600s, which have similar amplification requirements to the HD-800. It wasn't anywhere close to powerful enough. Any desktop amp will be better. If you are on a budget, the Sheer Audio HA-006 (dynalo) will power it well. Others have got good results with the Schitt Asgard, but I have not heard this combination myself.post #5 of 103/23/11 at 1:47pm
Quote:Originally Posted by helpinghand
"Your portable rig will make the 800s sing. Will it push them to their best... maybe not. But it wouldn't sound bad by any stretch."
Do you have experience with the OP's setup to make that statement? I've driven the HD800 with many sources and amps and I feel the HD800 needs a desktop amp to power them properly. Please state your specific experience.post #6 of 103/23/11 at 2:06pmpost #7 of 103/23/11 at 3:31pm
Quote:Originally Posted by helpinghand
"First off I don't need experience with his source or amp to make that statement, (it's why there were so many conditionals).
But to appease anyways,
I've heard the 800s with a HeadRoom Airhead with an iPod LOD as a source and the combo was awesome. The 650s behave the same way with HeadRooms entry level portable stuff. It's a smooth, relaxed presentation that I really enjoyed. Is it the best I've heard from those headphones, nope. But it was in no way bad, disappointing or un-involving. I know it gets better, and I would bet the OP does too, but that wasn't his question. He asked if they would be worthwhile, not their best. So my answer to his question is perfectly fine."
I've had the Total Airhead together with the HD650 and felt it was a poor match. I had iBasso D2+ Boa with the HD800 and felt it was a poor match. Neither were driven close to their respective potentials. IMHO, and the opinion of many others, the HD800 needs a desk amp to fully drive them. Why would you spend $1k+ on a headphone to cheap out on a poorly matched portable amp?post #8 of 103/23/11 at 6:13pmQuote:
Even connected directly to my Squeezebox Touch, my HD800 sounds great.Quote:
+1post #9 of 103/23/11 at 6:34pmPeople need to chillax...
Hd800 out of a udac works. It certainly sounds pretty good to most people who haven't heard it out of something better. I guess I'm trying to say that it will probably sound great to you because you don't have anything to compare it with. The view others have is that you should spend the money on a hd600 and buy a better amp and source. I followed that path and I'm not at the end yet .
Oh and not everyone loves the hd800.post #10 of 103/23/11 at 6:51pmQuote:It certainly sounds pretty good to most people who haven't heard it out of something better. It still sounds good, even if you have heard it out of something better...I'm trying to say that it will probably sound great to you because you don't have anything to compare it with. I have some good stuff to compare with (akg k1000 and O2 Mk1) and I still think that the HD800 sound great out of my Squeezebox Touch...
- is my source/amp good enough to power HD800?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Why the Beats Hate? 1 minute ago
- › FiiO E07K ANDES Review and Help Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Tokyo 2013 Autumn Fujiya Avic show impressions. 3 minutes ago
- › 1964 EARS V6 Discussion & Appreciation Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Schiit Owners Unite 4 minutes ago
- › The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2 5 minutes ago
- › Best set tube amp for q 701 6 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 600 Appreciation Thread 8 minutes ago
- › Official 2014 Bay Area Meet - SUNDAY - Feb 16th, 2014 8 minutes ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Updated 9/2/2013: Sony... 9 minutes ago
- › VSONIC VSD1S by IEMagnet01
- › Bowers & Wilkins P7 by eightbitpotion
- › NuForce Icon uDAC-2 (Black) USB DAC (24bit/96kHz) and Headphone... by jshaffe
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by jshaffe
- › Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro 250 OHM Semi-open reference headphone by jshaffe
- › MartinLogan Mikros 90 Reference On-Ear Headphones, Black by pataburd
- › Logitech UE 6000 by Trunks159
- › MEElectronics SP51-BK Sound Preference In-Ear Headphone with Sound... by Benik3
- › Beats Studio Over-Ear Headphone (Black) - NEW by JGrignon
- › Shure SE215 Black by starlan
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop &... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Cables &... by jude