Recently i was over at my dad's and he had a pair of ATH 40f/s or something similar to that, can't remember the exact model (or maybe that is it?) Anyways i remember the sound they had and the detail and nuances they brought out to be simply amazing, they actually gave me a big wide smile on my face and i remember saying out loud "this is F****** awesome" the only gripe i had about them was they had very little bass at all. I've spent a lot of time (and money) goofing around with home audio equipment and have owned some very accurate speakers before (and still do). I've never quite heard headphones perform as well or better then speakers so i never was into them that much. These completely trashed my perception of my speakers i own now and made everything i have ever heard in my life sound like absolute crap when compared. I was looking around at headroom for a pair of AT phones and couldn't find the 40f/s, not because i wanted to buy them, (lack of bass was something keeping me from buying them) but because i wanted to compare the frequency response graph of them to other AT phones. One pair i was considering getting was the ATH M50's because they do have better bass response from what i can tell by looking at the response graph. I'm looking for that sonic signature i heard in those headphones (40f/s) the flat, detailed, "perfect" sound i heard but i have no clue whether or not AT's sound varies throughout their different headphones. Any thoughts/suggestions?
Related Forum Threads
- Will I need an Amp for DT 770 ? Last post on 10/3/11 at 5:47pm in Headphones (full-size)
- For studio monitoring, wich headphone should I get? Last post on 9/8/11 at 7:56am in Headphones (full-size)
- Debating between 4 good headphones Last post on 8/26/11 at 3:01pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones with detachable wire?! Last post on 2/17/11 at 11:08pm in Headphones (full-size)
- ATH m50 vs ATH m40fs vs ATH m30 vs ATH Pro700sv?????? Last post on 2/1/11 at 11:28pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
* Obligatory warning that I am not a professional and am not the best at describing sound qualities of headphones. I don't like to use words like liquid or chocolate because descriptions like those...
Brainwavz have been around since 2008 and have been working on providing improved and more original products as time has gone on. If you are familiar with the last round of Brainwavz offerings it...
I bought the S version that has standard 3.5mm TRS unbalanced plug. I didn't want to use the balanced-to-unbalanced adaptor that comes with the non-S version because my players would not have...
“First in last out!” While the above makes for an excellent military motto, it really sucks for an audio component reviewer. I must sincerely apologize to Rock Jaw, Rockbob, and the folks waiting...
Just some brief notes and impressions since no one else has put one up yet. Nice compact form. The little rubber cone feet are useless though and start wearing out. Surprisingly lightweight...
Audio Technica Advice.post #1 of 83/21/11 at 7:00pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 83/21/11 at 8:02pmpost #3 of 83/21/11 at 8:05pmThread Starterpost #4 of 83/21/11 at 8:12pm
Oh, now i understand.
Like you mentioned, the M50's have more bass..its very detailed and have a nice midrange (not recessed) more aspects to add:
the M50's are very comfy, and have better isolation.
a fun headphone to listen to.
Edited by earerror - 3/21/11 at 8:13pmpost #5 of 83/21/11 at 9:12pmpost #6 of 83/21/11 at 10:45pm
I'm an ATH-M50 owner. If you have not owned quality headphones before you will be blown away by the ATH-M50. There is virtually no sound leakage and has excellent isolation. However the soundstage is not very good making it poor for movies and gaming.post #7 of 83/22/11 at 10:31amThread Starterpost #8 of 83/22/11 at 10:46amThread Starter
- Audio Technica Advice.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Best classical recordings...ever! 17 seconds ago
- › Aphrodite Zeus Quad 22 OCC Copper cable - Brand new unused 41 seconds ago
- › JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC appreciation +... 2 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 2 minutes ago
- › What is the most conductive(least amount of resistance) on a cable... 5 minutes ago
- › Please help me with my survey (about storage) 5 minutes ago
- › Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II 7 minutes ago
- › Chord Hugo 8 minutes ago
- › Grace m903 vs Sennheiser HDVD 800 9 minutes ago
- › NocturnaL Audio Custom Headphone Cables 11 minutes ago
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by DVass13
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by jant71
- › HiFiMAN RE-600 by Matias
- › ROCK JAW ALFA GENUS by HK_sends
- › Wadia 121 Decoding Computer Digital to Analog Converter by Armaegis
- › AKG X323XS by dweaver
- › Shure SE535LTD RED by hardbop
- › PSB M4U 2 Noise Canceling headphones by Mr_Owlow
- › VSONIC VSD3S Black High Fidelity Professional Quality Stereo... by squallkiercosa
- › Eclipse TD-M1 by HideousPride
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Wireless Headphones)