Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Audio Technica ATH- ES 10 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Audio Technica ATH- ES 10 Impressions Thread - Page 7

post #91 of 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danneq View Post

When you're on the subway the lower frequencies are the first to be drowned by outside noise, so then you will need to EQ bass up. In the ES10, that's already already taken care of.

You could get something that isolates better, but I don't want to be completely isolated. I want to be able to hear when there's an announcement so that I can remove my headphones.

 

 

Very good points, i notice this with the es10.  Very enjoyable in the outside and the bass is still there in noisy environments.  At first the heavy bass bugged me.  I compared it to the esw9 and it actually sounds a lot like them only with elevated bass.  With that bass as a floor the treble fits in well with it actually.  I have some Ed8's when i want to up the level and detail a bit but they are more cumbersome.  The es10 works very well for a portable for me and i am glad that i gave up waiting for the new Senn release and just got these instead for about the same price.  Seems a step up from the 1350 and HD-25s and updated Amperiors.  

 

Of course there are always those who would argue, this is head-fi where they even argue that HD800 sound good out of an ipod when you suggest a decent amp.wink_face.gif

post #92 of 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteki View Post

 

The ES10 is really not overly bass heavy, I think you just couldn't get past the cloudy sound and the bass, compared them to the T5p, and quickly called it a day.  That doesn't mean you should say it's very weak.

 

The ES10 has traits of the A2000X in it which I've been missing in the T5p all this time!

 

It doesn't matter if the T5p has a short cord and Bavarian case, there is nothing which designates it as a portable headphone, I think that's just marketing and you want to say the T1 is clearly better.

 

I may as well say spending $2000 on the LCD-3 is pointless and you should invest that into speakers.

 

I don't think custom IEM's are better than the T5p or T1 overall, only in specific aspects like intimacy and imaging, full-size wins in others, like speakers will always win in realism and epic tales.

 

Anyway this is the end of my T5p trip, passing the flame to the next person.

 

I think you are right about me dismissing ES10s when comparing them to T5ps. Completely different level and I was not ready to deal with the difference in quality at the time. 

 

 

You cannot say that speakers can replace headphones, simply because speakers 'leak' sound, while headphones do not. I do not think I can use speakers instead of any headphone at 2 am with sensitive neighbours not far away.

 

As for T5ps not being designated as portable:

 

http://europe.beyerdynamic.com/shop/hah/headphones-and-headsets/mobile-portable/t-5-p.html

 

 

"The T 5 p is the first high-end mobile headphone. The Tesla technology developed by beyerdynamic has made this experience possible. The mobile audiophile headphone can be connected anywhere, at all times and even to low-power, portable devices. Its special technology ensures enjoyment of the detail-rich sound. The accessories supplied with the headphone meet the needs of sophisticated mobile hi-fi users. The extension cable provided, for example, helps the T 5 p also connect to fixed devices, such as the home stereo to achieve impressive sound experiences. Wherever you are, your T 5 p enables you to quickly enter your own world of sound and forget everything else around you for a few moments.

• Ideal for all portable devices
• Expressive sound experience from the very first moment
• Newest Tesla technology with highest efficiency
• Excellent ambient noise attenuation
• Double sided cable"

 

If the manufacturer's description saying they are portable does not make them portable, what does?

post #93 of 847

Please note the third point.

 

• Newest Tesla technology with highest efficiency

 

 

After the T1 they made the T5, and decided the T5 sounded better with 32 ohms instead of 600 ohms, the rest is marketing to sell more.  It comes with a reindeer fur bavarian hat case, made by a hatter (real profession) somewhere in Austria, this was all to make it the ultimate portable headphone.

 

These days they sell it with the industrial aluminium box instead since not many people are using it outside is my guess, but I'm glad you did.

post #94 of 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteki View Post

Please note the third point.

 

• Newest Tesla technology with highest efficiency

 

 

After the T1 they made the T5, and decided the T5 sounded better with 32 ohms instead of 600 ohms, the rest is marketing to sell more.  It comes with a reindeer fur bavarian hat case, made by a hatter (real profession) somewhere in Austria, this was all to make it the ultimate portable headphone.

 

These days they sell it with the industrial aluminium box instead since not many people are using it outside is my guess, but I'm glad you did.

 

What does the sentence you quoted prove exactly? That it is not portable because it uses Tesla technology? They mentioned the word mobile and portable 4 times in the text, is that not enough proof? 

 

They sell it with the box because people were complaining, that of the two phones at the same price, T1 and T5p, T5ps are with just a soft case. I do not know how long you have had T5ps, but when they were announced and I bought them (over 18 months ago), they were totally portable, now somehow they became for-home-use-only in your mind.

post #95 of 847

I just fail to see the point, did they lower the quality to make it a portable headphone?  You seem to have a preconception that portable is of lesser quality, so it's crazy to spend $1300 on a portable HP and use it at home, or am I missing something?

 

The Shure SE535 and J-phonic K2 SP, are for the record, designed for use on a stage, and do have lesser quality because of that.  In the case of the Shure's they notch down the treble so you can listen (perform) for countless hours at exciting volumes without any fatigue, that isn't really a Hi-Fi experience.

post #96 of 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteki View Post

I just fail to see the point, did they lower the quality to make it a portable headphone?  You seem to have a preconception that portable is of lesser quality, so it's crazy to spend $1300 on a portable HP and use it at home, or am I missing something?

 

The Shure SE535 and J-phonic K2 SP, are for the record, designed for use on a stage, and do have lesser quality because of that.  In the case of the Shure's they notch down the treble so you can listen (perform) for countless hours at exciting volumes without any fatigue, that isn't really a Hi-Fi experience.

 

I have no preconception of home use phones being better than portable ones, no idea where you got that from. I said, that T1 is better all rounder than T5p. The only point I am arguing here is the one you made about T5ps not being specifically made and marketed by Beyerdynamic as a portable phone. Nothing else. You keep drawing some really funny conclusions out of things I did not really say.

post #97 of 847
Originally Posted by Ra97oR View Post

I actually took the DT150 over the ES10. That was after a few hours or extended auditions. The ES10 just have a bit over the top bass for me, gets a bit uncomfortable after 40 minutes.

 

If I have to pick a flagship on the Audio Technica portable line, it would be ESW10Jpn over the ES10. DT150 offers more details and dynamic overall when it is properly amped, but at a cost of massive size, SRH940 are also at least very comparable to the ES10, a bit bright but detail is excellent. It is not as picky on amping. I won't put DT1350 at the same level on the ES10 however, so if you don't mind bigger headphones there are more choices out there.

 

I've actually heard the DT150 and don't see the similarity to the ES10, but I'll take my ES10 to that shop and try them side by side.  Why the DT150 though?  Isn't the DT48 the cult model?

 

 

Originally Posted by Szadzik View Post

 

I have no preconception of home use phones being better than portable ones, no idea where you got that from. I said, that T1 is better all rounder than T5p. The only point I am arguing here is the one you made about T5ps not being specifically made and marketed by Beyerdynamic as a portable phone. Nothing else. You keep drawing some really funny conclusions out of things I did not really say.

 

You said something in caps-lock about why have the T5p if you don't use it outside, since there are better headphones, I'm assuming you meant T1, LCD-2 rev. 2, etc.

 

That isn't fair since a lot of people are buying the T5p as a desktop only headphone, since apart from the LA7000 and TH900, does it really have much competition in closed-back?


Edited by kiteki - 7/8/12 at 3:43am
post #98 of 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteki View Post

 

You said something in caps-lock about why have the T5p if you don't use it outside, since there are better headphones, I'm assuming you meant T1, LCD-2 rev. 2, etc.

 

That isn't fair since a lot of people are buying the T5p as a desktop only headphone, since apart from the LA7000 and TH900, does it really have much competition in closed-back?

 

T5ps are optimized to be used on the go, with lesser equipment (because no one carries full size amps around). And in my mind, there are headphones that will scale with good equipment at home better than T5p. You are right about closed headphones choices, none. But even T1 does not leak sound. I simply assumed, that a home setup will be better than a portable one because of the components you can use at home that cannot be matched by DAPs and portable amps.

post #99 of 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteki View Post

Originally Posted by Ra97oR View Post

I actually took the DT150 over the ES10. That was after a few hours or extended auditions. The ES10 just have a bit over the top bass for me, gets a bit uncomfortable after 40 minutes.

 

If I have to pick a flagship on the Audio Technica portable line, it would be ESW10Jpn over the ES10. DT150 offers more details and dynamic overall when it is properly amped, but at a cost of massive size, SRH940 are also at least very comparable to the ES10, a bit bright but detail is excellent. It is not as picky on amping. I won't put DT1350 at the same level on the ES10 however, so if you don't mind bigger headphones there are more choices out there.

 

I've actually heard the DT150 and don't see the similarity to the ES10, but I'll take my ES10 to that shop and try them side by side.  Why the DT150 though?  Isn't the DT48 the cult model?

They are in no way similar to the ES10, I never said so. By raw sound quailty, the DT150 easily wins in that area. DT48 which I heard and totally hated, have beautiful vocal line but nothing else. DT150 just hits me with the excellent value and the tough build and edged over the ES10's shininess and the more fun orientated sound.

post #100 of 847
Originally Posted by Szadzik View Post

 

T5ps are optimized to be used on the go, with lesser equipment (because no one carries full size amps around). And in my mind, there are headphones that will scale with good equipment at home better than T5p. You are right about closed headphones choices, none. But even T1 does not leak sound. I simply assumed, that a home setup will be better than a portable one because of the components you can use at home that cannot be matched by DAPs and portable amps.

 

Alright then. ;)

 

 

Originally Posted by Ra97oR View Post

 

They are in no way similar to the ES10, I never said so. By raw sound quailty, the DT150 easily wins in that area. DT48 which I heard and totally hated, have beautiful vocal line but nothing else. DT150 just hits me with the excellent value and the tough build and edged over the ES10's shininess and the more fun orientated sound.

 

Why are you even auditioning the DT150 when you have my STAX SR-404 and the Audio Technica AD1000PRM?  If you hated the DT48 it's going into my list of "love/hate" transducers.

post #101 of 847

I have pretty much lost interest in my T5p and the Denon D5000 and anything else full-size I have lying around here.

 

 

This headphone IS THE HEAPHSAFPAWEFO

post #102 of 847

This sounds nice on the ES10 tongue.gif - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdoTdG_VNV4

 

I think I'll have to make my own thread at this rate.

post #103 of 847
Thread Starter 

Hey y'all so I finally decided to move on. After a good reflection I decided to stick with my Monster TPG IEMs instead. I travel alot and IEMs simply provide better isolation. I did find a "solution" for the headphones scratches, kind of. I used high grain sandpaper and did some work on it. It's not a scratch hog anymore, just a occasional fingerprint magnet. I'll take that over scratches any day.

 

 

c99b1f6f_DSCN7319.jpeg

post #104 of 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteki View Post

This sounds nice on the ES10 tongue.gif - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdoTdG_VNV4

 

I think I'll have to make my own thread at this rate.

 

Oh no! The thread has been kiteki-ized!!!   basshead.gif

post #105 of 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzraider View Post

Hey y'all so I finally decided to move on. After a good reflection I decided to stick with my Monster TPG IEMs instead. I travel alot and IEMs simply provide better isolation. I did find a "solution" for the headphones scratches, kind of. I used high grain sandpaper and did some work on it. It's not a scratch hog anymore, just a occasional fingerprint magnet. I'll take that over scratches any day.

 

 

 

I'm sure that I have asked this question before, in a similar situation, but how did it work to use the sandpaper with the "Audio Technica ES10" print on the cups? On the picture, it looks like the print isn't affected by you using sandpaper. I still only have small scratches and no need for using sandpaper, but it's always good to know your options...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Audio Technica ATH- ES 10 Impressions Thread