Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Audio Technica ATH- ES 10 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Audio Technica ATH- ES 10 Impressions Thread - Page 52

post #766 of 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallan View Post
 

It's funny, when i originally got these i thought they were so boomy and bass heavy, or a certain part of the bass spectrum.  Someone else posted that he had returned them because he felt that he was strapping on two subwoofers and there were others who agreed.  Since then they either burned in or my brain burned in because they don't sound so overly bassy anymore. 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-P View Post
 

I think... over time, it's possible that as you put them on and pull them off, and due to environmental impact (heat, etc...), the ear cups get pressed into the plastic enclosure, or the plastic enclosure expands ever so slightly, and the very small openings are then made even smaller.

 

When that happens, the inside becomes more airtight, and then bass would be reduced.

 

That's my $0.02 on the matter.

 

On the other hand, when bass is not so overpowering, the ES10 does put out very beautiful vocals. I think it even beats the ESW10 cleanly.

 

In any case, I'll get my ES10 back tomorrow, and then I'll be able to definitively see if they are indeed similar to the W1000. If they truly are similar to the W1000, then most likely, I'll just keep one headphone and sell off the other one.

 

My ES10s (with the E**11 pads) are stuck in @dallan 's "before" scenario, i.e. subwoofers on my ears.

 

@Bill-P , tell me more about what I can do to salvage some kind of mid and treble response out of these things!  Alternatively, someone make me a reasonable offer!!

post #767 of 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJS View Post

 

My ES10s (with the E**11 pads) are stuck in @dallan 's "before" scenario, i.e. subwoofers on my ears.

 

@Bill-P , tell me more about what I can do to salvage some kind of mid and treble response out of these things!  Alternatively, someone make me a reasonable offer!!

 

You can try amping. I realised some amps tame the bass very nicely on the ES10.

post #768 of 931

After i made this post i realized that i really stay to my more analytical and bright players with these phones.  I use the Fostex HP-P1 or the AK120 instead of the CLAS with them and that helps a lot.  Warmer players and amps make it worse but those tame it down quiet a bit.  Also the burn in either by brain or mechanical helps.  I have the ES11 ear pads too.  I was very upset for my first couple of weeks and ready to sell them at many points but i still thought they were fuller sounding and than the esw9 which i had been using so kept them in the stable and i am glad i did.  They are good for there uses and sometimes i get very attached to them.

post #769 of 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by baronkatz View Post
 

Can't help now but I used to live in London. I can say that they won't sound much different from each other. Breaking them in would change the sound a little bit, but if they are both ES10s unless they are modded will sound nearly identical. I listened to Bill-P's and those were markedly different but he did loads of mods including making wooden cups, etc... The ES10s beat the DT1350s by a landslide. Besides the bigger drivers and the fact that the list price of the ES10s are double that of the DT1350s (contributing to the fact that they are in another league), the DT1350s sound so much more closed off. When I heard them I thought I was listening to $20 headphones in some ways. The ES10s sound much more open, enveloping, etc... The DT1350s were more muffled and were way more uncomfortable and less isolating from what I can remember. Also the DT1350s are brighter as with most Beyers and have a bit less bass too...

my 1350s sound ruler flat, no colouration, they sound like the source, maybe a little bass light.

my ES10s sound over bassy, muffled and just horrible that's why I want to compare, who knows I may have 

a pair of very good fakes.?

post #770 of 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by KT66 View Post

.. fakes.?
Very easy to check..
Pull off pad & look for blue voice coil. ..
Same as the esw11
post #771 of 931

i finally got es10! Compared to es700 they are a bit heavier but overall more comfortable (with esw11 pads). Isolation seems to be slightly better. Build quality and used material seems to be same, except es10 cups dont rotate so easily. 3 of 3 people prefer looks of es700. I myself like them equally if it comes to look. Even if es10 has lower impedance, they reach same volume on same settings as es700.

 

Now about sound. ES10 sounds to me better. It has better bass, less prominent but equally good vocals. More details and dynamic. Compared to ES10, es700 sounds muffed and without life. On the other hand es10 sounds bit "overtrebled". I tried to add bass and treble on ES700 to sound more like ES10 and i can tell you.. es700 didnt like it.. they wasnt able to produce that bass at all. With adding treble they sounded less muffed but still not as detailed.

 

Im interested to see if there will be some improvement in sound due to burn-in or getting used to more trebled sound.


Edited by vincik - 3/19/14 at 7:08am
post #772 of 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincik View Post
 

i finally got es10! Compared to es700 they are a bit heavier but overall more comfortable (with esw11 pads). Isolation seems to be slightly better. Build quality and used material seems to be same, except es10 cups dont rotate so easily. 3 of 3 people prefer looks of es700. I myself like them equally if it comes to look. Even if es10 has lower impedance, they reach same volume on same settings as es700.

 

Now about sound. ES10 sounds to me better. It has better bass, less prominent but equally good vocals. More details and dynamic. Compared to ES10, es700 sounds muffed and without life. On the other hand es10 sounds bit "overtrebled". I tried to add bass and treble on ES700 to sound more like ES10 and i can tell you.. es700 didnt like it.. they wasnt able to produce that bass at all. With adding treble they sounded less muffed but still not as detailed.

 

Im interested to see if there will be some improvement in sound due to burn-in or getting used to more trebled sound.

 

Woah. I find that the ES700's bass is quite bloated. And personally I feel it's not the ES10 that's over treble, more like the ES700 is under trebled. #.#

 

But still, I really love the bass texture on the ES10 and ESW11LTD. I'd rate it to be somewhere at the top compared to other cans.


Edited by lbbef - 3/19/14 at 8:10am
post #773 of 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbbef View Post
 

 

Woah. I find that the ES700's bass is quite bloated. And personally I feel it's not the ES10 that's over treble, more like the ES700 is under trebled. #.#

 

its possible... im maybe used to es700, so i take it for standard.

 

little offtopic question: when i first plugged them into amp i tried how loud they can play off head. i pushed them on max volume on my fiio x3 (which is more than 2x volume than i listen them normally). Could i harm them? I heared that headphones takes some beating but i also read that its not good to push new ones... to bad i read it after i tried it:/ im so noob. I onced pushed small speakers to much and they sounded bad for some time after that but got back to normal. whats your recommendation on how to treat new headphones?


Edited by vincik - 3/19/14 at 8:52am
post #774 of 931

Mine sure doesn't look or feel like a fake.  But it must be, because it is, out of all the cans I have ever experienced, by far, the least "overtrebled".  A muddy, dark mess.  I guess I'm posting in the wrong thread!

post #775 of 931
Sounds like my feelings when I first bought them.
post #776 of 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJS View Post
 

Mine sure doesn't look or feel like a fake.  But it must be, because it is, out of all the cans I have ever experienced, by far, the least "overtrebled".  A muddy, dark mess.  I guess I'm posting in the wrong thread!

Try giving it some time.

 

I have 2 sets of ES10s.

One used pair which I've used for around a year.

Another pair I got together with my ESW11LTD. This pair stays at home almost exclusively (to prevent scratches) and I only use it once in a while.

 

I just compared to 2.

 

I can say the burn in does tame the sound. It isn't a heaven and earth difference, it's just subtle, but enough to make it more enjoyable.

 

You can also try pairing it with a good amp. It benefits quite a bit when paired well with an amp.

It makes the bass a lot more controlled and midrange less muddy.

If the bass is too much for your liking, try pairing it with an amp with a slight bass roll-off. It'll clean up the bass.

 

Alternatively, try the ESW11LTD. It's a more refined version of the ES10.

Personally I like the ES10 for EDM, etc...

Everything else I prefer the ESW11LTD.

post #777 of 931

forget all i said guys.. they needed to burn-in or get my ears to use to different sound or both. i love them. its another league from es700 (which i really liked...more than Momentum). i now understand that price.

post #778 of 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincik View Post
 

its possible... im maybe used to es700, so i take it for standard.

 

little offtopic question: when i first plugged them into amp i tried how loud they can play off head. i pushed them on max volume on my fiio x3 (which is more than 2x volume than i listen them normally). Could i harm them? I heared that headphones takes some beating but i also read that its not good to push new ones... to bad i read it after i tried it:/ im so noob. I onced pushed small speakers to much and they sounded bad for some time after that but got back to normal. whats your recommendation on how to treat new headphones?

 

Try not to crank the volume too high. It'll damage the drivers.

 

For new headphones, some people like to burn it in. But it's quite a debatable subject, go read up on it and decide.

Personally I feel it just makes a very very subtle change in the sound, doesn't change the sound from earth to heaven.

I also feel some cans benefit more from burn-in than others, but like I said, it's very subtle.

 

Next thing is of course to take good care of it.

You can carry it around in the soft pouch that they provide. But if you want extra protection, spend a little and invest in a headphone hard case.

The ES10s and ES700s scratches very very easily, so you have to watch out there. Or you could apply some sort of screen protector on it.

Try not to coil the cable too tightly, it'll damage the cable. I usually coil it around 3 rounds for my ES10 and ESW11LTD.

If you live in a humid country like me and sweat a little when you use headphones, always keep a cloth with you to wipe your sweat off the pleather/leather pads/headbands once in a while during use and after use. Usually I won't listen to headphones when it's hot. (Not enjoyable for me, I prefer to listen in a more comfortable environment)

Scratches on the earcups are almost impossible, so you have to learn to live with it after a while. You could search this thread, someone sanded their earcups to matte. You can consider that after your ES10 accumulate a lot of scratches.

Fingerprints on the earcups are also impossible to prevent. The ES10 looks gorgeous without scratches and fingerprints. I usually carry around a microfiber cloth in my headphone case to clean the earcups once in a while. But make sure the cloth doesn't have dirt on it as it could scratch the earcups.

And most importantly, treat your headphones like your baby. Don't throw them around or yank the cable. Love your headphone and it will love you too! :)

post #779 of 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincik View Post
 

forget all i said guys.. they needed to burn-in or get my ears to use to different sound or both. i love them. its another league from es700 (which i really liked...more than Momentum). i now understand that price.

 

Glad to hear that you love them! :)

 

You should consider trying it with some amps to maximise the ES10's potential! :)

post #780 of 931

Having tried the stock pads, the ESW9 pads, I am now on my third day of ESW11 pads, and 

they are clearly the best

Some of the bass boom has gone and the treble is clearer.

AT really should put these on as standard.

 

ps anyway want ESW9 pads?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Audio Technica ATH- ES 10 Impressions Thread