Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Audio Technica ATH- ES 10 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Audio Technica ATH- ES 10 Impressions Thread - Page 26

post #376 of 845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx134 View Post

They look absolutely gorgeous!
What are you talking about "dampening foam"?
You mean the yellow fiberglass looking material behind the speaker?
I don't think that can be surpassed as it is optimized for the driver and from reading thru some Fostex t50rp threads that would relate to any internal reflections so would alter soundstage,
BUT I Do think the metal cup or internals could possibly be dampened slightly but the design overall leave little room for modifcation I assume the materials are highly optimized already. .

 

Yeah, I meant the fiberglass material in the back.

 

Sorry, I keep thinking "foam" for some reason.

 

I'll play around with it (by adding more materials in there) and see how it changes the sound. Probably not as much as I'm hoping to hear, but it'll be fun anyway.

 

Alternatively, adding filters to the ear pads may be fun as well... seeing as the ES10 is really sensitive to different types of ear pads and materials.

post #377 of 845

Nice thread.

 

Beware of fake Audio Technicas, I got hosed into buying a fake pair of ATH-ESW10 Japan.

post #378 of 845

I have heard of fake esw9 but never esw10's.  If you buy from Japan i was told that there are really no fake ES10s.  But of course anything can be counterfeited.

post #379 of 845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post

Nice thread.

Beware of fake Audio Technicas, I got hosed into buying a fake pair of ATH-ESW10 Japan.
it may have been a long time but if you used paypal you should give them a call anyway to see what if anything can be done.
post #380 of 845
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallan View Post

I have heard of fake esw9 but never esw10's.  If you buy from Japan i was told that there are really no fake ES10s.  But of course anything can be counterfeited.
I have seen fake es10, esw10, and esw9, selling online over a year ago but that pretty much disappeared.

If you had one it would not be hard to spot the fake non speckled plastic, and fake smaller plain drivers inside and lower quality.
post #381 of 845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-P View Post

I think it takes a long time to burn in because the ES10 has so much headroom. Audio Technica rates them at 2000mW.

And I think they actually burn in every time they are plugged into a source... until you reach a point where the source is so good that it allows the ES10 to settle in. I've only reached that point with the UHA-6S Mk.II recently, but I'm wondering if they'll start burning in again when I have an even better source...
hey I am looking for an amp and that one looks good! had any experience with others?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbbef View Post

Long awaited upgrade! biggrin.gif

ESW11LTD earpads!

Damage: SGD76

Initial impression:  Slightly bigger soundstage. Slightly more bass. Bass is slightly more controlled. Vocals are slightly warmer. Clarity Is slightly better. Seems to have a slight change in balance. Comfort is a lot better. I think all these changes are cause the newer pads aren't flat like the used old ones smily_headphones1.gif

Overall I love it biggrin.gif

I'll do a proper comparison after I come back from a hackathon.


Dam I wish I was able to get those to compare.
they may be better than the esw9 pads I put on
they probably are slightly wider on outside,
But esw9 opening look wider on inside:


Edited by Maxx134 - 4/21/13 at 5:43am
post #382 of 845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx134 View Post

hey I am looking for an amp and that one looks good! had any experience with others?

 

Let's see... these are all of the sources I have plugged my ES10 in, ordered with increasing sound quality in case that's not obvious:

 

Fiio E7: meh... my MacBook output sounded better to my ears.

 

Fiio E11: not bad. Overbearingly bassy, though. And very grainy treble.

 

C&C BH: big soundstage! But just that.

 

Fiio E12: sweet and very good! But soundstage suffers a bit.

 

JDS Labs C421: smooth and very expansive, but lacking details (relative to what's coming next)

 

JDS Labs O2: very clean and clear, but treble is a bit grainy and harsh. Sound is not as smooth as C421. Also doesn't seem to do all that well at higher volumes... surprisingly.

 

Project Sunrise II: sweet, big soundstage, super smooth. Plenty of power to spare. Only drawback is that it doesn't sound as clean or clear as O2.

 

Portaphile 627: holy smoking soundstage! Think O2 soundstage x1.5. Super articulated bass, and overall a very impressive sound. Only drawback: a bit dark and not very clean, though O2 is not that far ahead in this regard. Also very powerful.

 

Leckerton UHA-6S Mk.II w/ OPA209: good soundstage (a bit less than O2). Absurd clarity! It's so clear that I swear I hear digital artifacts (little buzzes and ticks) even in some of my FLAC and ALAC songs. This is beyond even O2's level of clarity and cleanliness. Drawback: close vicinity (as in within 1 meter) of a cell phone causes insane interference and distortion.

 

Leckerton UHA-6S Mk.II w/ OPA627: huge soundstage again, in between O2 and Portaphile 627. Clarity is slightly reduced from the OPA209, but I think the 209 overdoes it. I'm not that much of a microdetail freak. Doesn't have the soundstage or the level of articulation of the Portaphile 627, but I'm ranking it higher (by a slight margin) because it sounds cleaner at almost half the cost of the 627. And hey, maybe there's owner's bias here...

 

Had a mini meet to compare the O2, Portaphile 627, and Leckerton the other day, and that's what comprised the bottom of the list.

post #383 of 845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-P View Post

Let's see... these are all of the sources I have plugged my ES10 in, ordered with increasing sound quality in case that's not obvious:

Fiio E7: meh... my MacBook output sounded better to my ears.

Fiio E11: not bad. Overbearingly bassy, though. And very grainy treble.

C&C BH: big soundstage! But just that.

Fiio E12: sweet and very good! But soundstage suffers a bit.

JDS Labs C421: smooth and very expansive, but lacking details (relative to what's coming next)

JDS Labs O2: very clean and clear, but treble is a bit grainy and harsh. Sound is not as smooth as C421. Also doesn't seem to do all that well at higher volumes... surprisingly.

Project Sunrise II: sweet, big soundstage, super smooth. Plenty of power to spare. Only drawback is that it doesn't sound as clean or clear as O2.

Portaphile 627: holy smoking soundstage! Think O2 soundstage x1.5. Super articulated bass, and overall a very impressive sound. Only drawback: a bit dark and not very clean, though O2 is not that far ahead in this regard. Also very powerful.

Leckerton UHA-6S Mk.II w/ OPA209: good soundstage (a bit less than O2). Absurd clarity! It's so clear that I swear I hear digital artifacts (little buzzes and ticks) even in some of my FLAC and ALAC songs. This is beyond even O2's level of clarity and cleanliness. Drawback: close vicinity (as in within 1 meter) of a cell phone causes insane interference and distortion.

Leckerton UHA-6S Mk.II w/ OPA627: huge soundstage again, in between O2 and Portaphile 627. Clarity is slightly reduced from the OPA209, but I think the 209 overdoes it. I'm not that much of a microdetail freak. Doesn't have the soundstage or the level of articulation of the Portaphile 627, but I'm ranking it higher (by a slight margin) because it sounds cleaner at almost half the cost of the 627. And hey, maybe there's owner's bias here...

Had a mini meet to compare the O2, Portaphile 627, and Leckerton the other day, and that's what comprised the bottom of the list.
I am not shure if readers realize the magnitude importance of this post!
I have just spent a few hours reading up on more portable amp/Dac solution over my hud and O2,
and you saved me hours and wallet pain lol.
hidden: non topic! (Click to show)

Also I found out that the interference on the OPA209 is mainly for GSM cellphone (Att) and so in USA Sprint Verizon network are ok .
Also someone stated that the AD797
Was a better choice.
It is a BJT input stage with extra interference and distortion cancellation circuitry,
And the tradeoff is some battery life due to higher bias current.
So like to know if you have any experience with that.
I posted this question on the appropriate thread smily_headphones1.gif
Edited by Maxx134 - 4/22/13 at 11:39am
post #384 of 845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-P View Post

Let's see... these are all of the sources I have plugged my ES10 in, ordered with increasing sound quality in case that's not obvious:

Fiio E7: meh... my MacBook output sounded better to my ears.

Fiio E11: not bad. Overbearingly bassy, though. And very grainy treble.

C&C BH: big soundstage! But just that.

Fiio E12: sweet and very good! But soundstage suffers a bit.

JDS Labs C421: smooth and very expansive, but lacking details (relative to what's coming next)

JDS Labs O2: very clean and clear, but treble is a bit grainy and harsh. Sound is not as smooth as C421. Also doesn't seem to do all that well at higher volumes... surprisingly.

Project Sunrise II: sweet, big soundstage, super smooth. Plenty of power to spare. Only drawback is that it doesn't sound as clean or clear as O2.

Portaphile 627: holy smoking soundstage! Think O2 soundstage x1.5. Super articulated bass, and overall a very impressive sound. Only drawback: a bit dark and not very clean, though O2 is not that far ahead in this regard. Also very powerful.

Leckerton UHA-6S Mk.II w/ OPA209: good soundstage (a bit less than O2). Absurd clarity! It's so clear that I swear I hear digital artifacts (little buzzes and ticks) even in some of my FLAC and ALAC songs. This is beyond even O2's level of clarity and cleanliness. Drawback: close vicinity (as in within 1 meter) of a cell phone causes insane interference and distortion.

Leckerton UHA-6S Mk.II w/ OPA627: huge soundstage again, in between O2 and Portaphile 627. Clarity is slightly reduced from the OPA209, but I think the 209 overdoes it. I'm not that much of a microdetail freak. Doesn't have the soundstage or the level of articulation of the Portaphile 627, but I'm ranking it higher (by a slight margin) because it sounds cleaner at almost half the cost of the 627. And hey, maybe there's owner's bias here...

Had a mini meet to compare the O2, Portaphile 627, and Leckerton the other day, and that's what comprised the bottom of the list.

Oh no!
Say it isn't so!
I thought the O2 was the world's greatest headphone amp!
Grown men weep at the unalloyed beauty of it's melodious, dulcet sound.
Edited by Chris J - 4/22/13 at 7:19pm
post #385 of 845

Awesome post Bill-P and thanks for the effort.  My ES-10s should be arriving shortly and was wondering how certain amps worked with them.  Only other two I was interested in knowing the performance on were the basic JDS labs cmoy and the C5 with the ES-10s.  Anyone have any experience with pairing either of those?

post #386 of 845

Can anyone comment on durability here? These seem more fragile than butterfly wings. 

post #387 of 845

I have dropped my ES10 probably over a thousand times already ( quite literally), and I've yanked the cable more than a dozen other times, yet the headphone held together through all of the abuse. It's amazing how durable it is, really. I broke a pair of ESW9 recently, so I have to say... the ES10 does seem at least more durable than the ESW9.

 

----

 

Now that aside, I recently acquired a ATH-W1000X. And I was expecting a slightly different tonality.

 

To my surprise, there is absolutely zero difference between them in tonality. W1000X has a larger soundstage, larger image, more comfort (being over-ear rather than on-ear), and is more beautiful (wood cups, yeah...). ES10 has a smaller soundstage, smaller image, less comfort. Also as an effect of the shrunken soundstage, vocals are even more forward on ES10 than on W1000X, and bass also has more impact, but upon close listen, it's still the same kind of articulated, detailed vocal and bass that's just brought slightly more forward.

 

But everything being equal (source, amping, volume), they sound eerily similar. Like Audio Technica shrunk the W1000X into a compact package and called it the ES10. Even the drivers look similar... (not just sizing)

 

I'm using the W1000X when I'm at home now, and the ES10 will continue to go on the road with me... while taking abuse.

 

If you have a W1000X or an ES10 (w/ ESW9 ear pads), and you're wondering how the other headphone sounds like, just shrink/enlarge the soundstage and image. That's basically how it is to me.


Edited by Bill-P - 5/1/13 at 1:24pm
post #388 of 845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-P View Post

I have dropped my ES10 probably over a thousand times already ( quite literally), and I've yanked the cable more than a dozen other times, yet the headphone held together through all of the abuse. It's amazing how durable it is, really. I broke a pair of ESW9 recently, so I have to say... the ES10 does seem at least more durable than the ESW9.

 

----

 

Now that aside, I recently acquired a ATH-W1000X. And I was expecting a slightly different tonality.

 

To my surprise, there is absolutely zero difference between them in tonality. W1000X has a larger soundstage, larger image, more comfort (being over-ear rather than on-ear), and is more beautiful (wood cups, yeah...). ES10 has a smaller soundstage, smaller image, less comfort. Also as an effect of the shrunken soundstage, vocals are even more forward on ES10 than on W1000X, and bass also has more impact, but upon close listen, it's still the same kind of articulated, detailed vocal and bass that's just brought slightly more forward.

 

But everything being equal (source, amping, volume), they sound eerily similar. Like Audio Technica shrunk the W1000X into a compact package and called it the ES10. Even the drivers look similar... (not just sizing)

 

I'm using the W1000X when I'm at home now, and the ES10 will continue to go on the road with me... while taking abuse.

 

If you have a W1000X or an ES10 (w/ ESW9 ear pads), and you're wondering how the other headphone sounds like, just shrink/enlarge the soundstage and image. That's basically how it is to me.

 

Haven't heard the W1000X, but I have the A2000X here and it sounds almost identical in tonality to the ES10s. Less claustrophobic and more open due to the larger size and angled drivers, but the same metal housing, it sounds eerily similar.

 

I wouldn't be surprised if Audio-Technica was using the same driver for the W1000X/A1000X/A2000X.

post #389 of 845

Just wanna add, though, that the similarity is only when my ES10 has the ESW9 ear pads.

 

It does sound quite different with the stock ear pads.

post #390 of 845
I'm considering these or the M100. Do these have bass that kicks?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Audio Technica ATH- ES 10 Impressions Thread