Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Audio Technica ATH- ES 10 Appreciation Thread!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Audio Technica ATH- ES 10 Appreciation Thread!! - Page 41

post #601 of 842

Finally ordered my pair of these babies and have a question for you pad swapping vets.  Which of the pads decrease bass the least, ESW11 pads or the ESW9 pads? Or do both decrease the bass from stock pad levels?

post #602 of 842
I don't remember any leather pads ever decreasing bass, but I do remember it improving clarity.. I would probably go for the esw11 pads only because of a better fit
Edited by Maxx134 - 8/22/13 at 1:29pm
post #603 of 842
The leather pads tighten up the bass and make it less 'flabby'. No decrease in bass.
post #604 of 842

I have had an ALO Continental v2 for a few days now.

 

I previously thought the Portaphile 627 was king of portable amplifiers, and that it was the best match for the ES10.

 

Man, was I wrong. The Continental is by far the best I have heard the ES10 with.

 

Bass is tame, polite, tight, but not over-powering even with songs that accentuate bass.

Midrange is the star of the show! Smooth, clear, detailed, with just the right hint of warmth, but not nasal!

Treble is smooth, with the right amount of sparkles but not spiky or harsh at all.

Big expansive soundstage... with insane amount of depth and layers.

 

This combo brings a smile to my midrange-head face. It's crazy good!

post #605 of 842
Sounds awesome.
post #606 of 842

If only it was just "awesome".

 

This is ridiculous!

 

It's not just that the amp tames the tonality of the ES10 by bringing midrange forward and pushing bass/treble back (FAR less V-shaped), but it sounds so spacious, so big. Separation in every track I've listened to is beyond excellent. Imaging is spot on. Even out of low-bitrate poorly compressed music!

 

All this in a small device that runs on battery. Wow... I'm genuinely impressed by now.

 

I had a lot of praises for the wood ES10 at the recent SF Bay meet. Even from those who previously didn't like the stock ES10. And I plugged it into many amps. Except for the most expensive amps there are.

 

So I thought there was nothing else I could do to make this ES10 sound better. Well, allow me to smack myself on the head!

 

That aside, if any ES10 owner is going to attend the next SF Bay Area meet (Feb 2014) or LA/SoCal meet (March 2014), I'd love to meet up and do a comparison between my modded ES10 and the stock one. I have had enough people tell me they like this headphone now to realize it's no longer the ES10 that had a love/hate relationship with people.

post #607 of 842

The bass is tightened up quite a bit with the (ESW11) leather pads.

Overall soundstage is fuller, cleaner and bass less muffled.

 

just did a bit of pad swapping back and forth.

post #608 of 842
I sold mine today, a great pair of headphones (with the leather pads) but I found the ESW9 and ESW11 more suited to my tastes.
post #609 of 842

Going to a meet on the 7th. I think would have a few ALO products :DD

 

Do you know how the Continental v2 would compare with the Continental v3? :DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-P View Post

I have had an ALO Continental v2 for a few days now.

 

I previously thought the Portaphile 627 was king of portable amplifiers, and that it was the best match for the ES10.

 

Man, was I wrong. The Continental is by far the best I have heard the ES10 with.

 

Bass is tame, polite, tight, but not over-powering even with songs that accentuate bass.

Midrange is the star of the show! Smooth, clear, detailed, with just the right hint of warmth, but not nasal!

Treble is smooth, with the right amount of sparkles but not spiky or harsh at all.

Big expansive soundstage... with insane amount of depth and layers.

 

This combo brings a smile to my midrange-head face. It's crazy good!

post #610 of 842
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbbef View Post

Going to a meet on the 7th. I think would have a few ALO products :DD

 

Do you know how the Continental v2 would compare with the Continental v3? :DD

 

I don't directly have the v3 to compare, but from what I've read, v3 has bigger soundstage and more bass emphasis... while the midrange is pushed back (maybe that's why the soundstage sounds larger).

 

I'm a midrange head (I actually prefer LCD-2 v1) so... obviously my preference would tilt toward v2 after reading all of that, and ultimately resulted in this purchase. redface.gif

 

I'm not regretting it. Not even one bit. This combo sounds so smooth, so soothing, so natural, so... lustful! It's beyond intoxicating!

 

I've been able to make 5 non-audiophiles (they think Apple's ear buds sound "awesome" if you need a frame of reference) go "WOW" while listening to... Youtube tracks (some at 140p) with this combo, so I know it's not just me... biggrin.gif

 

I keep saying "WOW" myself every time I hear this. What is this sorcery!?

post #611 of 842

O: Must try out the combo :DD

 

How much was the damage?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-P View Post

 

I don't directly have the v3 to compare, but from what I've read, v3 has bigger soundstage and more bass emphasis... while the midrange is pushed back (maybe that's why the soundstage sounds larger).

 

I'm a midrange head (I actually prefer LCD-2 v1) so... obviously my preference would tilt toward v2 after reading all of that, and ultimately resulted in this purchase. redface.gif

 

I'm not regretting it. Not even one bit. This combo sounds so smooth, so soothing, so natural, so... lustful! It's beyond intoxicating!

 

I've been able to make 5 non-audiophiles (they think Apple's ear buds sound "awesome" if you need a frame of reference) go "WOW" while listening to... Youtube tracks (some at 140p) with this combo, so I know it's not just me... biggrin.gif

 

I keep saying "WOW" myself every time I hear this. What is this sorcery!?

post #612 of 842
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpatinJapan View Post

I sold mine today, a great pair of headphones (with the leather pads) but I found the ESW9 and ESW11 more suited to my tastes.

 

 

Well the ESW11 costs 50% more so hope it sounds better.  The esw9 has the same sound signature to me, it is just not as full and doesn't emphasis the bass as much.  My esw9 lives in my car for a back up.  The es10 is for light weight use around with dog walk.  When i want high end sound i throw on the Ed8 LE.  The Ed8  is getting the most use lately but the ES10 still does a fair share.

post #613 of 842
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbbef View Post

O: Must try out the combo :DD

 

How much was the damage?

 

$350 in total.

 

The whole rig (modded ES10 + Continental v2) is probably over $1000 for me.

 

But victim count has stacked to 7 non-audiophile today.

 

And my ears can confirm this madness. I'm hearing obvious differences between different sources. So far my MacBook Pro is the best source to feed the Continental. Everything else... I can hear "technical issues" with.

post #614 of 842

Ahaha. You are like patient zero for the audiophile / ES10 bug.

 

I think the ES10 is one of those headphones that should really wow anyone...

post #615 of 842

My friend recently got a HD600 so I did a brief comparison with it today.

I can totally say I love my ES10 compared to the HD600.

I mainly listen to Asian music (Japanese, Korean, Mandarin).

Genre wise I listen to pretty much everything. Ballards, pop, R&B, Electro (Going Quantum Podcast), etc...

 

Brief Impressions:

HD600 has a more laid back sound. It is faster with less decay and attack.

The treble on the HD600 is more prominent.

But the ES10 has a slightly punchier bass. Bass on the ES10 is deeper.

The vocals on the ES10 is totally mesmorising. The HD600 seems to lack quite abit there.

The layering and instrument seperation on ES10 seems better than the HD600.

The soundstage of the HD600 is bigger. But it really suprised me that the ES10 had a rather big soundstage.

(Really suprised me that ES10 performs so well against full sized cans)

 

Oh... I'm going for a local meet this coming Saturday. Let me know if you have any special comparison requests :D
Rig list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AlINtZYxJvFCdDdKYUZWaHhEa2VndFFxX1VzQ2Uwanc#gid=0

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_recording View Post

Ahaha. You are like patient zero for the audiophile / ES10 bug.

 

I think the ES10 is one of those headphones that should really wow anyone...


Edited by lbbef - 9/1/13 at 9:21am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Audio Technica ATH- ES 10 Appreciation Thread!!